Found Deceased TX - Crystal Seratte McDowell, 38, Baytown, 25 Aug 2017 #3 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
He had a choice to stop strangling her before she died it's not like one fatal gunshot to the heart or one fatal stabbing that kills instantly .....she wouldn't have died straightaway and would have fought for her life. She loved life and loved her kids so wouldn't have gone without a fight.

Am I wrong or doesn't it take a long time to strangle someone? Like minutes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's a difference between premeditated and being aware of what he was doing

He knew what he was doing as he did it. But did not plan it.

Unless they find further evidence, he seems to have acted impulsively

Sheriff Hawthorne said he is not ready to talk about possible motives.

"There had been some tension and stress, and had been some potential disagreements," Hawthorne said.

He's waiting on the results of the autopsy to determine cause of death.

Steven McDowell is set to appear in court in Chambers County tomorrow.

http://abc13.com/sheriff-realtors-murder-unravels-in-tearful-confession/2404499/

He had a choice to stop strangling her before she died it's not like one fatal gunshot to the heart or one fatal stabbing that kills instantly .....she wouldn't have died straightaway and would have fought for her life. She loved life and loved her kids so wouldn't have gone without a fight.

Exactly. To strangle someone to death takes a conscious intent. To fight their struggling, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On March 20th, Crystal called police after Steven made threats to hurt himself and to hurt their children, Lt. Steve Dorris with Baytown Police Department said.

Dorris said Crystal told police she was concerned because she received a call from an employee at least one child's school saying Steven never dropped off the child.

Steven returned both children unharmed to Crystal the following day, and no charges were filed against Steven.

http://abc13.com/sheriff-realtors-murder-unravels-in-tearful-confession/2404499/

When AB was talking to PH he made it very clear he thought it was premeditated. AB also referenced both PH and SM failing polygraphs.

There's a difference between premeditated and being aware of what he was doing

He knew what he was doing as he did it. But did not plan it.

Unless they find further evidence, he seems to have acted impulsively

I could be wrong but I think, legally, premeditation can occur within seconds

Just checking in for updates and I'm at a loss here. Just awful. I still have a feeling this was somewhat planned. He did not snap out of nowhere when she was in front of him, I just don't think that's how it happened. He snapped the day before and waited til she got there. It's been my opinion for awhile and it remains. I just really don't think she took that billboard picture. I think she got to the house and he went straight into saying and doing all the things he'd been sitting on for awhile. Just my rambling opinion.

My heart breaks for those kids.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

It takes minutes, not seconds, to strangle someone to death.
I've seen more than one trial where the prosecuter has the courtroom stay silent for as long as it takes, to impress upon the jury that it was very much an action of intent and that they had that long to change their mind and stop.
Try sitting even for just two minutes still and quiet to see how l o n g it seems.

As someone said previously I wonder what changed? Her twitter is Full of constant praise for her husband, her love for him how he was the love of her life and always will be and how he is the man of her dreams!
i know some people like to paint the picture of a perfect marriage, house, job life etc on social media when it's far from the truth. Some people even have to have validation that they have the best relationship, job etc because they know the truth is they don't and want external validation to try and convince them otherwise.
however, with Crystal, it seemed too constant to not be genuine ( my thought she only) . So, I wonder what happened? Her twitter seemed to stop a year ago too...did things change with her working in real estate was that when it went downhill?

So she did make it to the house that morning. Why did Brian Hawthorne say it in such a weird way in the original conference? When asked he said yes, she did...she her children that morning.

They might want to get this book for the kids. It's called "The Night Dad Went To Jail". I haven't read it but the reviews there is one by a trauma therapist and she uses it for the children she works with.
It's sad that this has to be a book, but for people having a hard time talking to the kids about this, (and who wouldn't?) it really might help.
Prayers for those children. My heart is breaking for what their world has become.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JEFEXFU/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

So she did make it to the house that morning. Why did Brian Hawthorne say it in such a weird way in the original conference? When asked he said yes, she did...she her children that morning.

Maybe because she died there?

It is so true that the most dangerous time for a woman in an abusive relationship is when she is trying to leave.
Someone above posted that they wished she could have just taken the kids and run. While that is very likely what she would have liked to do, it's just not a good move, in the eyes of the courts. If she did that, she would likely be the one to lose custody and then the kids would be full-time with the scary husband.
I've known people in very similar situations and it is a horrible position to be in. You have to kind of 'ease out' if possible to keep the upset down to a minimum. It is wrong wrong wrong, but a scared woman will often comply as much as she can to minimize the fallout.
Sometimes it works and sometimes, as in beautiful Crystal's case, it doesn't. The main point is that the fear is real. Especially when he's threatening the kids. I would think that would have given her some legal teeth though...

In no way blaming or saying she deserved to be hurt or killed, but I am a little surprised that she was dating and having overnights at the BF's house before she was completely away and safe (as safe as you could be) from this monster. In such a dangerous situation it's like waving a red flag in front of a bull. I totally see why she chose to stay there until her place was done, if he was making threats against the kids. It's a way to appease until there is another place to go. Sad, sad, sad.

When I got my divorce, my attorney advised me to take my children and run if I did not want to keep the family home. I did decide that getting my kids away from their mentally ill dad was worth it. I would think with SM's previous threats, the courts would understand.

As someone said previously I wonder what changed? Her twitter is Full of constant praise for her husband, her love for him how he was the love of her life and always will be and how he is the man of her dreams!
i know some people like to paint the picture of a perfect marriage, house, job life etc on social media when it's far from the truth. Some people even have to have validation that they have the best relationship, job etc because they know the truth is they don't and want external validation to try and convince them otherwise.
however, with Crystal, it seemed too constant to not be genuine ( my thought she only) . So, I wonder what happened? Her twitter seemed to stop a year ago too...did things change with her working in real estate was that when it went downhill?

JMO, but I don't think their marriage changed. He was probably always borderline abusive and she probably tried to make it work by singing his praises in public. It's pretty common for abused spouses to hide their abuse and put on a fake face for the world. On social media her family looked perfect and happy. Behind closed doors it was anything but (JMO). Her private text messages reveal more (when talking to a friend she called Steve a jerk and said he takes advantage of her). I'm surprised the friend interviewed on AB did not know about CM and SM ever arguing, but perhaps she was not CM's closest friend/not someone CM confided in. Her uncle knew SM had threatened her and told her she would never leave the house. Some of her family and close friends had to have seen the warning flags but they may not have known enough to suspect this could happen. Abused woman often hide the worst of the abuse from even their closest friends and family. We do know that something happened in March where SM threatened to harm one of the children. I think that may have been the last straw for CM and why she divorced SM. It may even explain why they went with split custody-- maybe she was planning to take the child he threatened out of the home. JMO. :moo:

Crystal was stunning. She must have turned heads wherever she went and seemed like such a gogetter.

steve was the older bald guy ( been married before? As has an older child) I bet he felt he was being left behind.....

Speaking of prev marriage/ relationship I wonder where steves ex is ? Would love to know if he was abusive with her?

Because the reporter never specifically asked him if she made it home. She asked a weird compound question.

I feel for SM's older child as well...old enough to understand exactly what he did. The little kids might have a while before they really understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gretyr