TX - Crystal Seratte McDowell, 38, Baytown, 25 Aug 2017 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Also says court papers reveal Crystal said he threatened to kill them both plus the children

I saw that too. I was a PI for many years in Dallas. Right off the bat after they signed and paid me I told the clients to never ever admit to anything and then I asked what was going on in their lives. We then had lengthy conversations in this area for their protection. I even had some grumblers that thought I was being overprotective. Some people just fail to read a room or even their partners and I get that. I would never kill anyone unless it was absolutely the only option and many women think this same way. I feel so bad for her kids and her, what a waste. I will never understand what makes a man think he owns us women just because we had a marriage contract that has come to an end for whatever reason.

I can say this, I have no idea over the years how many cases I had, way too many to count. I was lucky or my clients were lucky as far as I know no one killed each other overr their divorces but there were times I thought it could happen. This is why one of the lawyers I worked for refused to do divorces , he couldnt take the bickering and fighting. Not worth it he said.

She may have told him that she didn't want him to go, but I doubt she told him about PH going instead. It makes no sense. PH said himself that he didn't think SM knew and that Crystal didn't want him to know. And this was true up until she left his house that morning, because there's no way she wouldn't have mentioned it to him. She told him that SM found out about Galveston, told him about their other little spats, etc. So that means if she told SM about PH going on the cruise it would have had to be when she walked through SM's door, right before he strangled her. I don't see it going that way.

Overall, this (PH going on the cruise) seems like a bit of information that has blown up and taken on a life of its own. All he was trying to convey at the time (when she was still missing, mind you) is that they were supposed to go on a cruise that Friday. Next thing you know it was, "Whoa, did the ex know?" (to which he answered he didn't think so) and now it's "She told her ex her 'new beau' was going on the cruise and he snapped." There is no evidence of that though.

My point in a nutshell is that I think she would have mentioned it to PH, but it's clear by his statements that she didn't. I take that to mean that it never happened. The article doesn't say this, but if he (Steve) is trying to say she did, it's because he saw the interview with PH and is trying to use it as a motive.

Maybe she told him that morning...she may have been angry and wanted to hurt him, after he texted her about their daughter, where was she, etc...it could have been the "last straw" for him, so to speak. Not giving him an excuse, as he may well have killed her anyway but it could have sparked the situation at that time. I don't think she walked in the door and he crept up and killed her but jmo.

At least they described him as "stoic" this time instead of "super duper sorry and bawling all over the place!"

Do you think he is being closely monitored so he doesn't take the coward's way out? He doesn't exactly have a whole lot to live for now.

(Please know I'm not suggesting suicidal people are cowards but he is a coward because he wasn't man enough to face his ex-wife being with another man so he murdered the mother of his children. I don't know if he is man enough to spend his life behind bars either.)

At least they described him as "stoic" this time instead of "super duper sorry and bawling all over the place!"

-I agree. Its really sad to hear in every SM report that's been released that he has "regrets, remorse, and was tearful?!?!" He had a choice...
IMO

Do you think he is being closely monitored so he doesn't take the coward's way out? He doesn't exactly have a whole lot to live for now.

(Please know I'm not suggesting suicidal people are cowards but he is a coward because he wasn't man enough to face his ex-wife being with another man so he murdered the mother of his children. I don't know if he is man enough to spend his life behind bars either.)

I believe it was mentioned in one of the interviews (I'll try to find out which one) where that was mentioned as a concern. Of course, if he posts bond, who knows what would happen.

EDITED: Found this from the Ashley Banfield transcript , it doesn't say that he's being monitored now.

"BANFIELD: So there was this report in March that Crystal called the police. There was a grave concern of hers that Steve was a danger to her,

a danger to the children, and importantly, a danger to himself, as well, in the way that she feared he may be suicidal. That report was lengthy. It

was adjudicated. And there is some thought at this point that he may also have been suicidal around the time of this murder, as well.

HAWTHORNE: Yes, there was talk of it. And we`ve tried to take all those precautions. And I will tell you the time that I have spent with him, I

don`t feel that he is, but we still are taking the precautions to make sure that he is safe himself.

BANFIELD: So without naming, you know, details, fair to say there`s evidence to suggest that.

HAWTHORNE: Well, there is some written evidence. And so because of that, I think it`s only appropriate for me to take those precautions."

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1709/12/ptab.01.html

-I agree. Its really sad to hear in every SM report that's been released that he has "regrets, remorse, and was tearful?!?!" He had a choice...
IMO

He may well regret his actions. Doesn't change what he did. But if he does go ahead and plead guilty, I give him a tiny bit of credit for that as so few do. Jmo

Maybe she told him that morning...she may have been angry and wanted to hurt him, after he texted her about their daughter, where was she, etc...it could have been the "last straw" for him, so to speak. Not giving him an excuse, as he may well have killed her anyway but it could have sparked the situation at that time. I don't think she walked in the door and he crept up and killed her but jmo.

I don't think he just crept up behind her and killed her either. I think they had words and he didn't like the way it was going, he lost his &)$& and strangled her.

I don't think he just crept up behind her and killed her either. I think they had words and he didn't like the way it was going, he lost his &)$& and strangled her.

Also why i think the kids heard what went down or adults talking. On AB the aunt said both were scared to go back to the house alone with daddy after spending day with her (even to get clothing and toys) and they had lived there previously alone with him so something wasnt normal. Aunt Cindy said they both showed fear of returning unless there were other adults present. (transcript is last thread i believe) Kids dont just become scared of a parent unless they have reason to.
Does anyone have a link to Uncle Jeffs FB page where he is discussing the investigation? TIA.

Also why i think the kids heard what went down or adults talking. On AB the aunt said both were scared to go back to the house alone with daddy after spending day with her (even to get clothing and toys) and they had lived there previously alone with him so something wasnt normal. Aunt Cindy said they both showed fear of returning unless there were other adults present. (transcript is last thread i believe) Kids dont just become scared of a parent unless they have reason to.
Does anyone have a link to Uncle Jeffs FB page where he is discussing the investigation? TIA.

-I'm not sure if i'm allowed to send that link?

I think it is possible Crystal told him about the cruise...it was coming up pretty soon, she kind of had to tell him. She knew he already knew about PH.
Steve knew he wasn't going anymore, but in an interview Paul said that as far as he knew Steve didn't know Paul was going. Paul said Crystal asked him if he'd go and he was going to pay for a ticket but he got a confirmation email from the cruise so she bought him the ticket.

Something I wondered - did Steve put spyware on her computer and phone? If so did he know about Paul going on the cruise? That could have been the straw that broke the camel's back.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Maya Angelou said it best: "When someone shows you who they really are, believe them, the first time."

Steve McDowell has showed us he is capable of killing a women he supposedly loved, the mother of his children, with his bare hands, in a home where his children are present and most likely awake and could have walked in at any moment.

Remorse doesn't count for anything at this point, whether it exists or not.

Well said!

Steve knew he wasn't going anymore, but in an interview Paul said that as far as he knew Steve didn't know Paul was going. Paul said Crystal asked him if he'd go and he was going to pay for a ticket but he got a confirmation email from the cruise so she bought him the ticket.

Something I wondered - did Steve put spyware on her computer and phone? If so did he know about Paul going on the cruise? That could have been the straw that broke the camel's back.

Every cruise I've been on has sent an email one week before the last day before departure listing the itinerary and the passengers, and telling you what to remember to bring (passport / travel docs, mainly). When we book we have the option to put in multiple email addresses and that email is sent to all. If Crystal changed Steve's reservation to Paul's but didn't ask them to take off his email, he would have received the email and saw the passenger list not including his name. I believe this is what happened, Moo.

I think he had no idea Paul was going to go on the cruise, and any argument they had (if they even had one) was him wondering where she slept.

I think he had no idea Paul was going to go on the cruise, and any argument they had (if they even had one) was him wondering where she slept.

If he knew about Paul, I would assume he knew where she slept. He probably just wanted her to admit it in an attempt to engage her in an argument. Maybe demanded she unlock her phone for him. I anticipate she rightly refused all of this, and refused to argue with him and that made him more angry. I don't believe anything she could have said or done would have saved her life. He made his choice before she even got home.

-Steve wiped her computer before LE got it, so unless he included installing Spyware in part of his very forthcoming confession we may never know. It was said that she was having issues with her phone and computer days before he strangled her. I think Paul was going to let her use an extra phone of his?? Not sure on that exactly but they did go to the Apple store. Steve was able to unlock her phone to fabricate the text thread on Friday. I don't remember what time Uncle Jeffs first contact with Steve was on Friday, but he said that Steve showed him the text *from Crystal* on his phone. In my opinion that took some planning.

If he knew about Paul, I would assume he knew where she slept. He probably just wanted her to admit it in an attempt to engage her in an argument.

Yes, this is what I was getting at. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

For everyone concerned about Crystal's suffering and/or making noise while being strangled:

I am friends with a man who loves MMA UFC fights (gross imho) to the point that he takes classes and enters amateur fights. He told me how amazed he was that he was once accidentally rendered unconscious in mere seconds by an opponent during a practice.

He was held in a well-known move called a "rear naked choke" which is executed from behind, as titled. Pressure is put on the carotid(s) until a person faints. Cops learn and use this maneuver as well. It's relatively easy to learn.

Obviously, MMA fighters and cops release the hold as soon as the opponent is subdued so that blood flow is immediately restored to the brain. My friend had no pain and zero clue he was even passing out until after he'd hit the mat and come to, simultaneously.

Knowing this, I'm praying that Steve put Crystal in a rear choke as she had her back to him so that she had very little suffering or struggle. It would help explain her children not being awakened. It's quick and silent; cutting off the blood supply to the brain is not the same violence as strangling the breath out of someone via crushing their trachea. It's still horrific beyond words, but only putting this out here with the hope that it might give others some smidge of peace--hoping sweet Crystal suffered far less than we've all imagined. Who knows what the autopsy can or will show, but this is all I've pictured since learning that he caught her from behind. That, like my friend, she felt nothing.

You can google on your own or read about the science behind the move here: https://breakingmuscle.com/fitness/...choke-or-what-happens-when-you-get-choked-out

*mod, pls remove if inappropriate, with my apologies.

http://www.crimeonline.com/2017/09/...altors-murder-cause-of-death-revealed-police/

-Nancy G. and 3 guest: Paul H, a psychiatrist and a news correspondent on the show to discuss the details of Crystals murder.

I just came across this and I think it is worth the listen. Paul mentions that he wished he would have given her a goodbye hug before she left that morning. He said they had already discussed moving in and starting a life together. They were together in Galveston the weekend before and she spent the night at his place on Thursday. There is good coverage on the surrounding individual roles involved in the 2 week period. She mentioned the Sheriffs choice of words when referring to the "forthcoming info"

-Steve wiped her computer before LE got it, so unless he included installing Spyware in part of his very forthcoming confession we may never know. It was said that she was having issues with her phone and computer days before he strangled her. I think Paul was going to let her use an extra phone of his?? Not sure on that exactly but they did go to the Apple store. Steve was able to unlock her phone to fabricate the text thread on Friday. I don't remember what time Uncle Jeffs first contact with Steve was on Friday, but he said that Steve showed him the text *from Crystal* on his phone. In my opinion that took some planning.
That text was from Crystal - she and Paul talked about riding out the storm in Austin or Dallas the night before but she changed her mind. The text to Steve the next morning said "it looks like I may stay here with the kids, just looks like rain".
Her Uncle didn't believe Steve because she hadn't mentioned anything to him about Dallas (and he was going), but Paul said they did think about it but changed their minds later.

I honestly think that she may have said it to keep her options open. Like she didn't really want him to know where she was going to wait out the storm - and if she would it wouldn't have the kids.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Egladva
Back