GUILTY TX - D’Lanny Reinelle Chairez, 20, (found/arrested) & James, 18 months, San Antonio, 22 Feb 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Mariesol Gomez told KENS 5 she went to her niece's home around the time of February's winter storm. Chairez did not open the door and later texted to ask if they could talk the following day. Gomez picked up Chairez the following day and recorded the following conversation on her phone:

MARIESOL GOMEZ: So why the drive and not just talk at the house?

D'LANNY CHAIREZ: I do better thinking when the car's moving.

MARISOL GOMEZ: Thinking of what? Where's James?

D'LANNY CHAIREZ: (Undecipherable). We put him up for adoption.

MARIESOL GOMEZ: No, D'Lanny...

D'LANNY CHAIREZ: Yes, I did. ... Mari, I can't...

MARIESOL GOMEZ: D'Lanny, why didn't you let me have him?

D'LANNY CHAIREZ: No, I'm sorry, but...

MARIESOL GOMEZ: What is wrong?

D'LANNY CHAIREZ: Nothing's wrong, it's just I can't... I can't...

MARIESOL GOMEZ: It's not right, D'Lanny.

D'LANNY CHAIREZ: It's alright, but he's fine. He's in a house.

MARISOL GOMEZ: No, don't...

D'LANNY CHAIREZ: I'm sorry but I'm... when he's with you he's still.....

VIDEO: Mother of missing San Antonio toddler tells family member she put him up for adoption | kens5.com

Mariesol Gomez told KENS 5 she went to her niece's home around the time of February's winter storm. Chairez did not open the door and later texted to ask if they could talk the following day. Gomez picked up Chairez the following day and recorded the following conversation on her phone:

MARIESOL GOMEZ: So why the drive and not just talk at the house?

D'LANNY CHAIREZ: I do better thinking when the car's moving.

MARISOL GOMEZ: Thinking of what? Where's James?

D'LANNY CHAIREZ: (Undecipherable). We put him up for adoption.

MARIESOL GOMEZ: No, D'Lanny...

D'LANNY CHAIREZ: Yes, I did. ... Mari, I can't...

MARIESOL GOMEZ: D'Lanny, why didn't you let me have him?

D'LANNY CHAIREZ: No, I'm sorry, but...

MARIESOL GOMEZ: What is wrong?

D'LANNY CHAIREZ: Nothing's wrong, it's just I can't... I can't...

MARIESOL GOMEZ: It's not right, D'Lanny.

D'LANNY CHAIREZ: It's alright, but he's fine. He's in a house.

MARISOL GOMEZ: No, don't...

D'LANNY CHAIREZ: I'm sorry but I'm... when he's with you he's still.....

VIDEO: Mother of missing San Antonio toddler tells family member she put him up for adoption | kens5.com
BBM Not that I buy this story but who is "We?"

ETA: n/m. I found another source for the audio which has better sound. She says "I put him up for adoption."

MAR 19, 2021
New audio recording captures Baby James's mother admitting to placing son for adoption | WOAI (news4sanantonio.com)
[...]

Gomez goes on to ask Dlanny how long James has been gone.

"Since the tenth," Dlanny said.

Dlanny goes on to discuss the unnamed family she placed James with.

"I wasn't just leaving him with anybody," Dlanny said. "I know the family and they love him, and I’ve known them for two years and it's like it's a clean slate for him and he doesn't have to worry about who his dad is or who I am."

[...]

"I started thinking more serious about this because I was going to do something and I didn't want him in the crossfire of it," Dlanny said. "I wanted him somewhere where I know he's going, he's well taken care of and stable and safe."

[...]

* Note: In the video, the reporter says MG told her the recording is from February 19.

Last edited:
What a terrible, tragic, haunting case. I’m so sad for little James, he never had a chance.

what is it like to develop into a monster amongst other monsters? To be exposed to so much depravity and still try to raise children? My brain is melting trying to even fathom the darkness and trauma this family unit holds.
I hope for swift justice for James and that everyone around these murderers get therapy! Moo

ETA: n/m. I found another source for the audio which has better sound. She says "I put him up for adoption."

MAR 19, 2021
New audio recording captures Baby James's mother admitting to placing son for adoption | WOAI (news4sanantonio.com)
[...]

"I wasn't just leaving him with anybody," Dlanny said. "I know the family and they love him, and I’ve known them for two years and it's like it's a clean slate for him and he doesn't have to worry about who his dad is or who I am."

[...]

"I started thinking more serious about this because I was going to do something and I didn't want him in the crossfire of it," Dlanny said. "I wanted him somewhere where I know he's going, he's well taken care of and stable and safe."

[...]

* Note: In the video, the reporter says MG told her the recording is from February 19.

Well, I’m sure the incident that led to D’Lanny’s mother’s murder charge was not her first foray into child abuse. I’m think we’re going to learn that D’Lanny had a horrific childhood. This case is so overwhelmingly sad.

Trying to reply to PommyMommys post.
Things are not adding up to me with the reporting.
Did she go for a ride with the aunt on the 18th or go wash clothes?
Chairez went to Gomez’s house to wash clothes Feb. 19, during the winter storm, but James wasn’t with her. She told Gomez the boy was with staying with a friend. When Gomez wanted to go pick him up, she said he likely was sleeping and soon left.

also would LE leave the sheet with blood on it or keep it for DNA testing and possible evidence?

After getting the go-ahead from officers, Gomez and other family members cleaned Chairez’s trailer.

They were stunned at what they found. Chairez is a neat-freak, Gomez said, but the place was in squalor — trash and empty soda cans littered the floor to the point it wasn’t visible. The sheet that was later determined to have blood was crumpled on the floor

‘Please return him’ — Family pleads for safety of missing San Antonio toddler

Chairez went to Gomez’s house to wash clothes Feb. 19, during the winter storm, but James wasn’t with her. She told Gomez the boy was with staying with a friend. When Gomez wanted to go pick him up, she said he likely was sleeping and soon left.

also would LE leave the sheet with blood on it or keep it for DNA testing and possible evidence?

After getting the go-ahead from officers, Gomez and other family members cleaned Chairez’s trailer.

They were stunned at what they found. Chairez is a neat-freak, Gomez said, but the place was in squalor — trash and empty soda cans littered the floor to the point it wasn’t visible. The sheet that was later determined to have blood was crumpled on the floor

You’re right, very interesting that they let her go ahead and clean and she found such evidence. What a terrible find for the aunt to make :(
Sounds like this alleged “neat freak” and “great mom” was on a sudden and horrid downward spiral.
Usually there is a trigger, I wonder if they will find one in this case.
Justice for sweet little James!!!!
Moo.

When the police miss something as important as a bloody sheet I don’t have much confidence that the investigation was handled properly from the get-go. Even if police hadn’t had a chance to thoroughly search the home they should’ve at least preserved it as a crime scene. They even known for days that the mother is not willing to tell the truth about where her baby is. In my opinion that makes it a very very high likelihood that the baby was killed, not given up for adoption.
I’m not knocking family for asking to be allowed to clean up the home. It’s the police who have made a huge mistake in this case. That bloody sheet can’t be reliably used as evidence against the mother. Anyone with access to the home could have put it there. I don’t believe that it was planted but any defense attorney will be able to convince a jury that it could have been.

MAR 19, 2021
[...]

[...]

[...]

Wait. This person knew something was wrong. Actually took the time to record. What happened in the days leading up to this recording? So many people have let this baby down.

This story is not making much sense to me. The aunt stated she hasn’t seen the baby since Thanksgiving and that the mother was making excuses, but this baby was alive in January.

Why was she not letting the aunt see him? She was going out with him, so I guess he wasn’t extremely bruised or at least wasn’t visibly hurt. Very weird.

It is confusing. I think the 18th was the day MG went to Dlanny's and she didn't answer the door. Then on the 19th, she picked up Dlanny, took her to do her laundry, and made the recording. ?

I would also expect that the sheet was among the evidence collected by LE at the same time LE took some of James' toys and then the family was allowed to clean the trailer after that. MOO
Henry Ramos interviewed James' great aunt, MG. While he was interviewing her, police were at the home. Henry is asked by Debra, the news anchor, what police were doing at the home.

Henry says, "She told me they took toys of Baby James for DNA testing, Debra. Police did not confirm that with me but I can tell you I saw it with my very own eyes - police walk out of that home with a bag that they put evidence in."

The part above begins at about the 1:35 mark in the video.

Did the relative give the item to the police? Who took the picture of the item?
I don't think police would release that photo but I could be wrong. I'm guessing MG (James' great aunt) took it and shortly thereafter called police. MOO
Wait. This person knew something was wrong. Actually took the time to record. What happened in the days leading up to this recording? So many people have let this baby down.
There are a number of interviews with Dlanny's aunt here. She explains that Dlanny gave her various excuses as to why she couldn't see James. He was at a friends house, he was sleeping, etc. She also said that Dlanny was a very good mother and that she doted on James. When Dlanny stopped answering calls following the conversation on the 19th, that is when MG spoke with Dlanny's neighbors, saw the condition of the home, and called police. MOO

How I hope his Mom is truly a martyr and getting this baby totally away from this horrid family. I don't blame her for wanting him to have a "better life".

I am afraid that she is covering her tracks and is also a murderer! Just give it up and do it the legal way. He is your child to give up for adoption if you want so why not do it correctly? This poor child!

How I hope his Mom is truly a martyr and getting this baby totally away from this horrid family. I don't blame her for wanting him to have a "better life".

I am afraid that she is covering her tracks and is also a murderer! Just give it up and do it the legal way. He is your child to give up for adoption if you want so why not do it correctly? This poor child!

Echoing these sentiments.

I thought safe haven/baby moses laws would allow parents to surrender a child, no questions asked, to a local hospital, fire station, police station ect. but it appears the child must be under 60 days old.

So what happens to children whose parents can't care for them when they're 18 months? 2 years? Or longer? Instead of having a safe place to be surrendered to and cared for, they end up in situations like this one... moo.

Good people willing to adopt your child will do this through legal means.

So what happens to children whose parents can't care for them when they're 18 months? 2 years? Or longer? Instead of having a safe place to be surrendered to and cared for, they end up in situations like this one... moo.

Well, when parents can't care for older children, usually someone (extended family, neighbors, teachers, daycare providers, etc) notice and voice concerns to social services.

Given D'lanny's family circumstances, the situation with James' bio dad, the fact that she was just a teen when he was born and likely needed WIC, etc, I find it hard to believe there wasn't already a social worker assigned to this mother and child. Where was that person for nearly half a year?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliver
Back