Identified! TX - Denton Co., Human remains off highway, Dec'11 - Colby Fitzgerald

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Wow, I just noticed this thread. I too live in Denton/Corinth area. I'm a local news junkie, and I NEVER heard about this guy missing when it happened. I did hear about the remains found. I'm glad they were able to identify them, but good grief. Why was there no media on it? I found Websleuths after my husband stumbled across following the Michelle Parker case. Since then, I've been hooked and can't believe how many missing people there are that get no media coverage. Sad. :(

WELCOME!! Good to see another Dentonite here besides me and Greenpalm. What stood out to me is #1 as far as I can tell there was never any media coverage about him missing even in the DRC. #2 his last name stood out, we have a Narcotics Officer here w/the same last name, I have to wonder if he's related to this man. Fitzgerald is a fairly common name but you'd think if you had a Police Officer as a relative the news of him being missing would have been reported.

His body was dumped right behind Albertsons where they found his car... which stays open 24 hours and have video cameras in the parking lot. I'm sure those tapes are no longer available after all this time, but I don't know. Someone got away w/murder and it scares me....that person is probably still right here in Denton!!

I'm sorry. I reread my post and it was confusing. When Colby Dale Fitzgerald went missing, he left his 10 YO son at home alone. The 10 YO is NOT missing. When his son awoke and found no one home he went into a neighbor's vehicle and honked the horn until help came, he is fine and safe. My apologies.

I have it on "good authority" that the detectives think it's likely that these remains belong to CDF. The detectives contacted family members with their suspicions, but they are awaiting DNA results to confirm. (I have no link, you can take the validity of my statements with a grain of salt or as much as you trust me.)

I have to question the seeming lack of effort LE made to look for this man! He's been missing since August 27th, and they find his car in the Albertsons parking lot, then, a badly decomposed body is found in the field adjacent to the very same Albertsons parking lot 3 and a half months later? Did they even do a simple fan out and search in a radius around his vehicle? I guess the answer is no. :(

Oh Greenpalm, after I wrote about the little one and reread your post I figured out the boy was not missing. I totally agree about the lack of effort on LE's part and no coverage is strange. I hope I don't ever disappear around here, geez!!

Do u remember a year or so ago a man was killed in his warehouse/storage facility off of 35....he sold golf equipment if I remember correctly. That one was never solved either as far as I know.

I live 5 miles south of Denton. Scary what is going on so close to home. Police are looking for a serial rapist here now. I remember when the Cox story broke. Again, very scary & sad. I moved out of Dallas to Lewisville area in the mid 80's for a simple, small town country life. Not so small or simple anymore.

I know this post on my part is long overdue, but I just came across this website looking for more details in the death of Colby Fitzgerald. I just want to clear up a couple of assumptions. He went missing in August, not July. I had talked to him August 18 when he was talking about planning a trip down towards Austin to come visit. He disappeared 9 days later. The part about his son is true. His son is not missing, he is alive and well in Oklahoma with Colby's parents. I was his roommate for 2 months, from May to July. I moved out just a day or 2 before his birthday. He begged me not to move, and I could never figure out why my staying there was so important. But I also realized that I was the only one he really trusted with his son and his son liked me. I knew he was into things, but I didn't realize how deep into it he was. So for whatever reason, he knew something was coming and he didn't want me leaving because he knew there was a chance he'd have to leave his son home alone. He left his phone with him, so when he was missing, his family ended up with his phone and found death threats all through it. Colby was a very optimistic happy go lucky guy. No one ever would have known he was going through this unless he were to sit down and tell you, and he never did that with anyone. He was too busy being worried about others around him, and I guess thats why he ended up doing everything he was doing. That being said, that is why he left his son home alone in the middle of the night. Since he knew something or someone was coming after him, he basically agreed to go into it instead of waiting at home where his son would be in danger. If I had still been there I would've been in danger too. I do feel bad that I wasn't there to help with his son. But I had no idea of any of this. He was a single father. The child's mom pretty much wanted nothing to do with her son. It was almost like she was ashamed of him. She would come around every few months on that particular Wednesday to take him out for a couple of hours and dropped him back off. She did that once while I was living there. The son is now 12. He is severely autistic. Very bright. Just trying to clear some things up. AND YES, it was very sickening that this didn't make media coverage and it pisses me off that I have to dig and dig and dig online for any hopes of finding something new on his case. Found the medical examiners form and death is still ruled undetermined. Stupid.

I'm not sure who Jessmkirkham is, but a lot of their information is inaccurate. Colby's son does not live with Colby's parents...they disowned the child shortly after they received a large sum of money in relation to Colby's death. They never even put his remains to rest, so there was never much closure there for his son. Colby's son is now approaching 20 years old and his mother remains his sole caregiver. This has been the case since the week following Colby's disappearance.

I don't know what gives Jessmkirkham so much insight into the mother coming 'around every few months' when the post also says she only lived with Colby from May to July (a month prior to his disappearance). So, I suggest taking what they say with a heavy grain of salt. Colby's son is already a victim of this terrible circumstance, he doesn't need to read fiction on the internet while he attempts to heal from this trauma. His mother does care about him, as is evidenced by her immediate and subsequent actions after the fact. If anything, look closer at Colby's blood relatives (mother, sisters, cousins) and place your disgust there.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
539edtje
Back