TX TX - Dina Escobar, 61, vanished looking for her missing brother, Rogelio, 65, Houston, 28 Aug 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The area where the burned up van was found is somewhat remote. Looks like its an area where people like to go fishing. It's over 50 miles from where the Escobars were last seen.

Google Maps

There are some homes along 11 Mile Rd and across the bayou. I wonder if anyone living there saw something?

Do we have any indication in their lives of any nefarious affiliations?
This just sounds so much like drug money owed, and a debt paid. : (
In addition to a warning to others perhaps.

Amateur opinion and speculation

One new report said the van was found burned on a beach near Galveston - meaning the Gulf of Mexico.

The map is showing 11 Mile Road which is on the Bay (not the Gulf) and a dead end road.

Jamaica Beach is a nice area of houses - fishing/kayaking on the bay side and families on the beach side (Gulf of Mexico) with some surf fishermen. A car/truck/camper is not an unusual site on the beach along this area as it is permitted with a nominal yearly sticker.

It is between Surfside Beach and Galveston on the Scenic Bluewater Highway. Good amount of traffic along that road this time of year.

There is a toll booth with operator at the San Luis Pass 24/7.

One new report said the van was found burned on a beach near Galveston - meaning the Gulf of Mexico.

The map is showing 11 Mile Road which is on the Bay (not the Gulf) and a dead end road.

Jamaica Beach is a nice area of houses - fishing/kayaking on the bay side and families on the beach side (Gulf of Mexico) with some surf fishermen. A car/truck/camper is not an unusual site on the beach along this area as it is permitted with a nominal yearly sticker.

It is between Surfside Beach and Galveston on the Scenic Bluewater Highway. Good amount of traffic along that road this time of year.

There is a toll booth with operator at the San Luis Pass 24/7.

Hi WS, this is my 1st post here so please forgive any formatting issues as I figure it out. Some thoughts I had looking at location of the burned van as reported. I used to do EMS in Harris/Galveston Counties and have a decent knowledge of the geography. This location seems specific. Could've crossed to Bolivar which is more remote, or even the Port area/pipeyards would be easier. This road is fairly secluded, however, many beach houses are weekend rentals/unoccupied. The van seems out in the open, albeit right on the beach wash. Someone would need a ride out of there, it's a loooong walk. Toll booth footage if it exists could be helpful, but there's ways to bypass the toll booth (i.e. a 4wheeler, big truck on beach, etc...). Not sure if this helpful. JMO

Hi WS, this is my 1st post here so please forgive any formatting issues as I figure it out. Some thoughts I had looking at location of the burned van as reported. I used to do EMS in Harris/Galveston Counties and have a decent knowledge of the geography. This location seems specific. Could've crossed to Bolivar which is more remote, or even the Port area/pipeyards would be easier. This road is fairly secluded, however, many beach houses are weekend rentals/unoccupied. The van seems out in the open, albeit right on the beach wash. Someone would need a ride out of there, it's a loooong walk. Toll booth footage if it exists could be helpful, but there's ways to bypass the toll booth (i.e. a 4wheeler, big truck on beach, etc...). Not sure if this helpful. JMO
Welcome to Websleuths @adreamwithin :)

Video at link:

'Keep praying': Family of missing siblings holds on to hope as search underway in Galveston
"Trying to get to the truth. You know, you always hold on to that hope," Kenny Escobar said. "The other day I was driving by Chimney Rock (Road), and I saw someone that seriously has to be my dad. It's just one of those things you always hang on to. So I busted around, and he had almost the same skin color, haircut, everything. Unfortunately, we're still here."

There have been nearly 100 EquuSearch volunteers so far who have helped in the search for Dina and Rogelio Escobar. They want the family members to know they're not alone.

Only two ways to get to that area.

1) Straight down 45 from Houston, right turn at Galveston, on to Jamaica Beach area.

2) Highway 288 from Houston to Freeport/Surfside Beach, left onto Bluewater Highway over San Luis Pass (where the manned toll booth is located in middle of the bridge) on to Jamaica Beach (heading to Galveston Island)

First one would be quickest but with more traffic, chances of being seen.

Only two ways to get to that area.

1) Straight down 45 from Houston, right turn at Galveston, on to Jamaica Beach area.

2) Highway 288 from Houston to Freeport/Surfside Beach, left onto Bluewater Highway over San Luis Pass (where the manned toll booth is located in middle of the bridge) on to Jamaica Beach (heading to Galveston Island)

First one would be quickest but with more traffic, chances of being seen.

3) Winnie to Bolivar hwy87, cross the ferry, up Seawall. Impractical but possible.

Heading from North Harris county 45 seems fastest, but yes lots more people! Almost everyone goes 61st to Stewart/ Seawall or stays straight down Broadway to Seawall (pleasure Pier). Lots of businesses/cameras that way.

3) Winnie to Bolivar hwy87, cross the ferry, up Seawall. Impractical but possible.

Heading from North Harris county 45 seems fastest, but yes lots more people! Almost everyone goes 61st to Stewart/ Seawall or stays straight down Broadway to Seawall (pleasure Pier). Lots of businesses/cameras that way.
Yes! Forgot that route - that is truly the long way home!

Thanks for the info. and welcome to Ws adreamwithin!

Slight correction to my earlier map to 11 Mile Rd in Galveston. There's a small section of the road that also runs down to a small park & beach on Galveston Bay. That's the location where we're seeing the searchers on ATVs. Again, it's a somewhat isolated area, though there is a sizeable neighborhood at one end of the beach. Someone living there may have seen something. I do hope they find the Escobars.

Google Maps

The article in the post above says Dina's van was found last Thursday, but her family wasn't notified until Saturday. Assume it took a while for LE to confirm it.

Sunday, Aug 26 - Rogelio last seen in Houston
Tuesday, Aug 28 - Dina begins to search for him in Houston
Wednesday, Aug 29 - Houston PD gets the case
Thursday, Aug 30 - Dina's van found burned on beach at Galveston Bay

I was also wondering about this quote:

Dina told family she was going to stop by her brother's home, but she and her van were never seen again.

So, to be clear, Dina told family she was going to search for him, but disappeared before she could stop by his home. Did he live in the same home as his sons?

ETA: I added the date Houston PD says they got the case. When was Rogelio reported missing? I wonder if he frequently went missing or left home for some reason in the past? The apparent delay in reporting him missing is a little troubling.

Last edited:
Yeah, when two relatives go missing days apart, it looks sketchy. Gang activity? Getting rid of people who they know can cause problems?
I read up on crime activity in that area; wow. The stories are not encouraging to this situation. Bottom line, don’t tweak the giant’s nose.

Police are "not commenting" on the case... I am dying to know what they are not saying. This is a true mystery!

Troubling. I wonder if it's interfering with an ongoing investigation? Rogelio was definitely too old to be involved in any gang activity. I wonder if he had done or said something to local gang members to make them angry? Told them to stop selling drugs in the neighborhood? Threatened to call the police, etc.?

Troubling. I wonder if it's interfering with an ongoing investigation? Rogelio was definitely too old to be involved in any gang activity. I wonder if he had done or said something to local gang members to make them angry? Told them to stop selling drugs in the neighborhood? Threatened to call the police, etc.?

Yes, I am sure they are not saying anything, because of the investigation. But, definitely has my curiosity peaked.

No one is too old for gang activity... IMO. Yes, most grow out of it, but there are plenty of OG's still around. The ones I personally know, from my former profession, take a more behind the scenes approach. But, there are some still out there that are shot callers for sure. Unfortunately, for some, that is the only life they know.

One thing about gangs is that they won't necessarily go after you if you did something to them. They will go after your family, instead. It hurts that person more. I find this especially true with the cartels. I am not saying this is what happened here, but just wanted to point out the fact that they don't necessarily have to have direct involvement, if that is the case.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BentDove
Back