TX - Dr. Mark Hausknecht, 65, Physician to GHW Bush killed in bicycle drive-by shooting, Houston

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Reports say the killer turned around and fired shots from the opposite side of the street (as in a two-way street).
Ah, ok! I hadn't noticed those reports so didn't realize the killer actually turned the whole bike around to go in the opposite direction. I read most of the articles but somehow missed or miscomprehended that.

Reports say the killer turned around and fired shots from the opposite side of the street (as in a two-way street).
Haven't seen those reports. From what I can tell, killer was riding behind the victim, managed to catch up and get ahead of the victim, then turned around and shot the victim. Not meaning he was on the opposite side of the street at the time of the shooting.

Ah, ok! I hadn't noticed those reports so didn't realize the killer actually turned the whole bike around to go in the opposite direction. I read most of the articles but somehow missed or miscomprehended that.

Originally it was erroneously (I believe) reported that suspect was going in opposite direction at the time of the shooting. All the latest reporting and video indicate suspect was riding behind the doctor, caught up with the doctor, rode ahead of the doctor and then turned around so he could face the doctor and shoot him.

Yeah, I don't think the shooter crossed Main street or anything to that effect, believe he overtook MH then in front of the construction site (where the sidewalk is covered by scaffolding / no cameras) he turned his bike (to block the sidewalk causing MH to slow/stop) then fired the shots - this is my speculation based on the police reports. This would give him a cleaner shot, in a sheltered and confined area, with a lot of surrounding noise. Even the road noise on Main is pretty loud during rush hour.

While turning to face him does give it a personal element, it also allows him to guarantee he is hitting his target and gives a situation where he could possibly cause MH to slow / stop before firing. The idea about firing from inside the backpack is interesting because it would allow the shooter to collect the shell casings easily and leave even less evidence.

As far as angry patients / family members etc and who they would target, in general if something goes wrong or someone has a bad outcome, if someone is going to get blamed it is typically the doctor. It may even be that the patient wasn't angry / upset, but a patient family member was upset by a bad outcome and decided to take out a vendetta against the doctor. It is worth noting that none of this suggests MH did anything wrong - far from it - sometimes people who are very sick pass away despite everyone's best efforts. That doesn't shield physicians from being blamed by some people.

Really sad all around, I hope they get this one solved.

What makes you think it involves foreign faction?
Also, if he treated someone involved in criminal/drug cartel or whatever, then wouldn't his assistants/nurses be also aware and targeted? Doctors usually has some assistant around during patient visit/surgery.

I am leaning toward a foreign element to this crime because:
- no arrest yet, and no hint that LE has a POI, since they are asking help from the public, and the local public has apparently not recognized this suspect 6 days later.
- MH was internationally known because he treated a US President. Living in Houston, and grateful for the benefits of having a world class medical center, I have learned that people from many different countries come to Houston for medical care. I am guessing that MH had a fair number of international patients.

Yes, I have thought that MH’s staff would have some knowledge of any high profile/high notoriety patient. But maybe it was not unusual for them to have anonymous patients and not be aware of their true identity. And once MH was shot and killed, it would put a high level of fear to the staff, given the bold and brazen way this attack was carried out. Maybe they aren’t talking because they are so afraid. This is all pure speculation on my part.

Yeah, I don't think the shooter crossed Main street or anything to that effect, believe he overtook MH then in front of the construction site (where the sidewalk is covered by scaffolding / no cameras) he turned his bike (to block the sidewalk causing MH to slow/stop) then fired the shots - this is my speculation based on the police reports. This would give him a cleaner shot, in a sheltered and confined area, with a lot of surrounding noise. Even the road noise on Main is pretty loud during rush hour.

I agree that he crossed BACK across Main after the shooting. He was behind MH heading north on Main to cross Holcombe. Then he continued in crosswalk across Main, heading east. Passed MH heading north and fired under scaffolding. Then went across street heading west down Southgate. Travis turns back onto Main if he'd turned left (or south), so he likely either headed north to University Blvd or continued west into the Southgate neighborhood. Probably the latter, though there would be a ton of residential surveillance cameras there. Also, there's a medical building on the corner of Travis and Southgate with a Hilton hotel next door. I think the police have a lot more video and still photos than they've suggested.

Sorry about post above! I was trying to add a quote and obviously did it incorrectly and can't seem to delete.

Anyway, I was going to say I agree that the shooter followed MH down Holcombe and across Main, headed north. Then MH headed east across Main and was followed and passed by shooter as he turned north on the other side of Main. Shooter went back to the west across Main (busy street) following shooting and headed down Southgate. If he'd turned left, or south, onto Travis, he'd have ended up back on Main, so he likely went straight ahead into the Southgate neighborhood or took a right to the north to end up on University Blvd. Likely the former, though there'd be a lot of home surveillance systems there. Also, there's a medical building on the NE corner of Southgate and Travis with a Hilton Hotel next door. No matter which way he went, there'd be surveillance video of him. I think the police know a lot more than they're suggesting...

No matter which way he went, there'd be surveillance video of him. I think the police know a lot more than they're suggesting...
Snipped by me.

I think there is more video than LE has released too.

In recent months, I've been to two major medical centers (not for my own procedures but to accompany others), and the security desk at the front required me to show a picture ID. The security person scanned my ID and then gave me a badge to wear.

I don't know if this medical complex in Houston had similar security, but if this shooter was a former patient, family member of a patient, or even a hit man doing surveillance, it's possible there is video and/or some record of him entering the building at some point. I'm sure LE is looking at visitors/patients in the doctor's office to see if the suspect can be found on the interior as well as exterior video.

It's puzzling to me that the suspect hasn't been recognized yet. Yes, it's not a perfect photo, but if you knew the guy, you'd likely recognize him - especially if it's someone you know who rides a bike or recently starting riding a bike. I'm kinda thinking the shooter is not from Houston, or at least considering that possibility.

jmo

How beloved the doctor was, and there was no pending anything against him etc. makes me believe he was targeted by a vindictive person. Either a student or former patient/ family member of a patient. JMO.

How beloved the doctor was, and there was no pending anything against him etc. makes me believe he was targeted by a vindictive person. Either a student or former patient/ family member of a patient. JMO.
Or colleague....though I would expect he would be recognized if that close to the victim.

I'm really on the fence with this one. I'm even considering "random" in the sense of someone randomly shooting at strangers on purpose. There's nothing off the table yet, imo, though I'm like others with leaning toward targeted hit.

jmo

Sorry about post above! I was trying to add a quote and obviously did it incorrectly and can't seem to delete.

Anyway, I was going to say I agree that the shooter followed MH down Holcombe and across Main, headed north. Then MH headed east across Main and was followed and passed by shooter as he turned north on the other side of Main. Shooter went back to the west across Main (busy street) following shooting and headed down Southgate. If he'd turned left, or south, onto Travis, he'd have ended up back on Main, so he likely went straight ahead into the Southgate neighborhood or took a right to the north to end up on University Blvd. Likely the former, though there'd be a lot of home surveillance systems there. Also, there's a medical building on the NE corner of Southgate and Travis with a Hilton Hotel next door. No matter which way he went, there'd be surveillance video of him. I think the police know a lot more than they're suggesting...

Well now I apologize. I quoted the post above but did not get my comment written before accidentally clicking a button by mistake. Sorry.

At any rate, wanted to comment on your post mooliz.
I think you transposed Main St. and Holcombe in your comment. The doctor and the suspect are shown on Main St. CROSSING Holcombe, so they were not ever actually riding “down Holcombe”, where traffic travels east and west. Instead they were heading north on Main, suspect passes MH, stops bike, turns around and shoots the victim, then continues a short distance further north on to Southgate and turns left, or west, there. From the info we have so far, the suspect did not ever cross Main St., which as you noted is a busy street. If I am misunderstanding the details, please clue me in.

Beside the hitman likelihood, is road rage still a possibility? Nothing so far can exclude it yet, or can it? If it's a premeditated murder, then cameras should have caught the same suspect in the days before the shooting---it's unlikely that fatal morning was the first time the suspect rode in that area. If it's a road rage, then where the road interaction/conflict occurred may appear on some cameras, but may or may not have happened the same day.

Beside the hitman likelihood, is road rage still a possibility? Nothing so far can exclude it yet, or can it? If it's a premeditated murder, then cameras should have caught the same suspect in the days before the shooting---it's unlikely that fatal morning was the first time the suspect rode in that area. If it's a road rage, then where the road interaction/conflict occurred may appear on some cameras, but may or may not have happened the same day.
It is creepy to think that the shooter had rehearsed the shooting in advance, but it seems reasonable that he did. Very spooky to be stalked like that, if that is indeed what happened.

I think "bike road rage" is a possibility, thought it's not on the top of my list. I would think someone enraged might not be so calm about the shooting, unless the incident that sparked the rage was on an earlier day.

Fingers crossed for an arrest soon.

jmo

Well now I apologize. I quoted the post above but did not get my comment written before accidentally clicking a button by mistake. Sorry.

I think you transposed Main St. and Holcombe in your comment. The doctor and the suspect are shown on Main St. CROSSING Holcombe, so they were not ever actually riding “down Holcombe”, where traffic travels east and west. Instead they were heading north on Main, suspect passes MH, stops bike, turns around and shoots the victim, then continues a short distance further north on to Southgate and turns left, or west, there. From the info we have so far, the suspect did not ever cross Main St., which as you noted is a busy street. If I am misunderstanding the details, please clue me in.
Sorry about that. I meant MAIN. They crossed at Holcombe and then they crossed Main from west to east. Then they headed north up Main on the east side of the street. The shooter definitely crossed back to the west side of Main to Southgate--which runs perpendicular to Main--following the shooting. There are two images showing MH and shooter in crosswalks. First as they cross Holcombe (also captured in bus video as it turned south onto Main from Holcombe) and then again as they cross Main.

Snipped by me.

I think there is more video than LE has released too.

In recent months, I've been to two major medical centers (not for my own procedures but to accompany others), and the security desk at the front required me to show a picture ID. The security person scanned my ID and then gave me a badge to wear.

I don't know if this medical complex in Houston had similar security, but if this shooter was a former patient, family member of a patient, or even a hit man doing surveillance, it's possible there is video and/or some record of him entering the building at some point. I'm sure LE is looking at visitors/patients in the doctor's office to see if the suspect can be found on the interior as well as exterior video.

It's puzzling to me that the suspect hasn't been recognized yet. Yes, it's not a perfect photo, but if you knew the guy, you'd likely recognize him - especially if it's someone you know who rides a bike or recently starting riding a bike. I'm kinda thinking the shooter is not from Houston, or at least considering that possibility.

jmo
I've had to take various family members to appointments at Methodist over the past few years and I've not once been asked for ID--except for when I'm checking in on the floor I'm going to with insurance info, etc. Definitely not on leaving the parking garage or navigating between elevator banks. Anyone could walk in there, best I can tell. Ditto Texas Children's. Even when one of my kids was having surgery at Methodist, I didn't have a name tag or anything.

I've had to take various family members to appointments at Methodist over the past few years and I've not once been asked for ID--except for when I'm checking in on the floor I'm going to with insurance info, etc. Definitely not on leaving the parking garage or navigating between elevator banks. Anyone could walk in there, best I can tell. Ditto Texas Children's. Even when one of my kids was having surgery at Methodist, I didn't have a name tag or anything.
Wow -that is completely the opposite of the experience I had entering medical centers recently (not regular doctor offices, but medical centers at hospital complexes). I had to not only give my name but show a picture ID before getting past the lobby.

It is creepy to think that the shooter had rehearsed the shooting in advance, but it seems reasonable that he did. Very spooky to be stalked like that, if that is indeed what happened.

I think "bike road rage" is a possibility, thought it's not on the top of my list. I would think someone enraged might not be so calm about the shooting, unless the incident that sparked the rage was on an earlier day.

Fingers crossed for an arrest soon.

jmo
Agree: I think the shooter was far too stealthy and calculated for this to be about road rage. Someone who'd get so crazy angry wouldn't have been able to fire three shots then calmly ride away, imo.

Coco has it right. In the footage released, they are crossing Holcombe on the west side of Main. I passed through the area about an hour after the shooting and saw police activity near the Wyndham, which is currently under construction so that's where the scaffolding was and likely less camera access there. It would be a very short distance up Main to Southgate... then there could have been a getaway car there or the shooter could have looped back to the south to wherever he started his ride. That area (West University Place) is pretty high end residential with it's own police and such, so I think the chances of stashing a van there undetected is somewhat low unless it was in proximity to a home construction site. I almost wonder if he headed back south to a vehicle parked near wherever his journey originated.

There are a ton of cameras up and down Main and around the medical center. The quality of those cameras may be variable and who knows what if anything LE is holding back. I think we all tend to overestimate the quality of cameras in public spaces, especially at a distance. As far as someone recognizing the shooter, I can think of a handful of people that I know that he vaguely resembles but none that I would suspect. Someone is going to have to recognize the combination of the person / backpack / bike (if it wasn't new) or some other context... and that's only if this person wasn't hired to the job and from outside.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back