TX TX - Elizabeth Barraza, 29, murdered setting up garage sale, Harris Co, Jan 2019 #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
First 10 minutes of linked video:

SB: I don’t know if it’s over. Don't know if they’re coming back - wonders if they want to still hurt him and it doesn't make sense. Friends and Family helped him put it all back to together for him.

Liz and him met in math class at Sam Houston. Life together before the murder was fun - always something to do- happy to be a part of. It doesn’tmake sense why someone would want to hurt her. He wants the case to be solved. Doesn’t know how they will do it.

Reporter: Take us back to that day… what do you remember?

SB: I remember getting the trigger on my phone. The alarm system… I told my co-workers and my father I've got to go - something is wrong with Liz - I tried calling her and no answer- He called Liz’s parents they said they were on their way to the house because Liz wasn’t answering for them either. As he was driving he started going through the Nest footage on his phone - he could see police tape around the house - started to scroll backwards and kind of listened to see if he could see what happened because at that moment he thought something had happened in the road, an accident, Liz was helping. He got to the section and heard the gunshots and he immediately froze I had to re-listen to it and I finally heard her scream. My world just shattered. My heart broke. At that point, he realized it was serious. He called his dad.

My list:
1-A problem with father in law about $ and bounced check!
2- A problem at local shop
3- Worried over home security- husband says
4- Possible problem with another at Star Wars thing/stuff
5- Possibly random

Are there others?

From there, she has this garage sale for two reasons : 1. She and Sergio don't have as much spending cash as they planned because of the bounced checks, and 2. This garage sale is Liz's way to give "OB" the middle finger for impacting their anniversary trip due to his indiscretions. (Look what we need to do because you're so irresponsible!). I don't think she really expected to make that much money at this yard sale, so her motives for me lean more toward point 2 than point 1.

Point 2 explains why advertising wasn't important, because really only one person needed to know about it to fulfill that grudge. (And we understand OB is one of the handful of people that did know about it).

All MOO!
RSBM (this post has nothing to do w/OB)

What about the killer’s way of giving the middle finger because of rejection or jealousy? Rage? Revenge?

• Did the killer or someone known to the killer direct the killer to kill Liz - to seek revenge because of past love with Liz went wrong? Curious if LE dig into Liz’s past relationships?
  • Did Liz reject someone and this person started to stalk her? Decides to commit murder?
  • An acquaintance scorned - wanted an intimate relationship with Liz but was overlooked by Liz? Decides that Liz will not enjoy anniversary celebration in Orlando?

We already know 1) a robbery attempt at their apartment 2) gunshot fired into Liz’s workplace and 3) brutal murder of Liz

Speculation. Moo.

RSBM (this post has nothing to do w/OB)

What about the killer’s way of giving the middle finger because of rejection or jealousy? Rage? Revenge?

• Did the killer or someone known to the killer direct the killer to kill Liz - to seek revenge because of past love with Liz went wrong? Curious if LE dig into Liz’s past relationships?
  • Did Liz reject someone and this person started to stalk her? Decides to commit murder?
  • An acquaintance scorned - wanted an intimate relationship with Liz but was overlooked by Liz? Decides that Liz will not enjoy anniversary celebration in Orlando?

We already know 1) a robbery attempt at their apartment 2) gunshot fired into Liz’s workplace and 3) brutal murder of Liz

Speculation. Moo.

Aye that is a curious list of events.. I'd tend to assume #1 is unrelated to #2 and #3, but a connection between #2 and #3 isn't hard to draw!

I know very little about this shot fired into her work - would be interested to learn more about that

Part of me does wonder if the reason the perp moved from Goddard to another location right before SB left his home is because they worried that he would incidentally look over to his left and recognize them or their vehicle? This also makes me wonder if they could recognize SB’s vehicle and differentiate his vs Liz’s and if so, how or why? How aquatinted were they (or if it was hit, the person who arranged it) to both or either them?

And on that note was it just a coincidence that both SB and the perp both left at 6:48 or was the perp able to track SB’s movements somehow, either through nest cam or by tracking his phone? Was his vehicle somehow tracked or their Ring camera hacked?

Of course, it is also possible that they noticed the cameras or that teachers, parents or school buses were arriving and would notice them or have some recording device on their vehicles.

I do sometimes wonder if the perp knew that Liz would be off that day or if they planned to ambush her on her way to the car. I sometimes think that when they drive by her house at 6:52 the perp is driving pretty fast and does a U- Turn because they didn’t expect LB to be out and about and vulnerable. I wonder if they anticipated SB leaving by 6:50 (as opposed to 7 or 7:30 or later) and driving by just to keep track of when LB leaves? And if so do they pick to drive by at 6:52 because they expected her to leave by 7? There was a neighbor who was interviewed by a news station that mentioned SB typically left for work by 6:40-6:50 and LB left between 6:50-7. Again this type of information makes me wonder who else was also familiar with their work schedule and how would they come by this information and who would be most likely to know?

Last edited:
Revisiting the "OB" pet theory, as it addresses the reason for the garage sale as well as any I've heard. All MOO, and we've chatted about this before, but for any who haven't spun through this angle: suppose Liz is angry at OB for bounced paychecks leading right up to trip, and has an altercation with OB about the same.. (as is alleged to have occurred).

From there, she has this garage sale for two reasons : 1. She and Sergio don't have as much spending cash as they planned because of the bounced checks, and 2. This garage sale is Liz's way to give "OB" the middle finger for impacting their anniversary trip due to his indiscretions. (Look what we need to do because you're so irresponsible!). I don't think she really expected to make that much money at this yard sale, so her motives for me lean more toward point 2 than point 1.

Point 2 explains why advertising wasn't important, because really only one person needed to know about it to fulfill that grudge. (And we understand OB is one of the handful of people that did know about it).

All MOO!
Would be nice to know, if there are still differences about bounced checks. <modsnip: encourages sleuthing of non POI>

Last edited by a moderator:
Somebody knows something. May not even know it’s important information...

Wish Liz’s case would receive more media attention. Curious why no news (reminders) about this case? Why not remind people there is still a vicious killer loose (I get it)... wake up peoples' memories? Maybe someone will recall selling a wig, raincoat, robe, mumu/kaftan dress, lab coat or white boots to someone prior to the time of Liz’s murder? Sold gas to someone acting strange or driving around aimlessly not previously known in their neighborhood or different behavior that stood out a particular day? Moo

Why is the brutal cowardly homicide of Liz Barraza still unsolved? Are more tips needed to tie up the loose ends for a conviction? Does LE know who killed Liz? What about the POI (timestamp 1:59) in Miami? Someone knows something... moo

Video is under 4 minutes.

$50K reward offered for tips in 2019 Tomball garage sale murder​

Three years ago today, Elizabeth Barraza was gunned down in her own driveway while setting up for a garage sale. Her killer is still out there.

The reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of those responsible is now up to $50,000.00.

If you have a tip, please call the Crime Stoppers of Houston Tip Line - all calls are completely anonymous. Only tips and calls DIRECTLY TO Crime Stoppers are anonymous and eligible for a cash reward.

+1 (713) 222-TIPS 1.713.222.8477

Last edited:
I had a 2.5 hour conversation over the weekend with Liz's parents. They seem like very wonderful people committed to seeing their daughter's killer brought to justice. The call was productive and enlightening.
They wanted to clarify a couple things that are out there in the public realm

1- There has been discussion as to whether or not Liz called out of work sick for the garage sale, or had requested the day off before hand. Liz's parents clarified, she took the day off in advance to ensure that the wheels of the company wouldn't stop turning in her absence. She took her role there very seriously.

2-It's been reported in some sources that Liz held sort of an annual garage sale before vacations, almost like this was an annual event. Liz's parents said that is not accurate, that she had had maybe one garage sale previously. They also told me that garage sales in Houston is a very busy and lucrative business w/ sellers & buyers being extremely active which is why Liz had it so early in the morning as to not miss the people who would be out and about. They also verified that the garage sale signs DID go up the night before, and that there were no social media posts by Liz about the sale. They also added that they didn't think Liz would have told a lot of friends about the sale because she didn't think her friends would be interested in buying anything she had to sell
Wow! This is amazing information, thank you for sharing.

A few really big questions I have..

Could it be significant that this garage sale was for spending money that was going towards an anniversary trip to Disney? To me, this seems like someone could be extremely jealous that she was going. Possibly extremely jealous that she was going with Sergio, in particular. I think there could be a lot more to this....

What was Liz selling? If her friends seemed not interested in the items, then is there someone who could be? I think it is also possible that Liz was selling something that she did not realize was highly significant to someone else. Possibly something someone gifted her, something hand made, something that Liz won in a competition over someone else? After watching the footage multiple times, part of me thinks the shooter was extending a phone with their left hand to show Liz a picture of something, and Liz leaned in forward to see what it was before she was shot.

Wow! This is amazing information, thank you for sharing.

A few really big questions I have..

Could it be significant that this garage sale was for spending money that was going towards an anniversary trip to Disney? To me, this seems like someone could be extremely jealous that she was going. Possibly extremely jealous that she was going with Sergio, in particular. I think there could be a lot more to this....

What was Liz selling? If her friends seemed not interested in the items, then is there someone who could be? I think it is also possible that Liz was selling something that she did not realize was highly significant to someone else. Possibly something someone gifted her, something hand made, something that Liz won in a competition over someone else? After watching the footage multiple times, part of me thinks the shooter was extending a phone with their left hand to show Liz a picture of something, and Liz leaned in forward to see what it was before she was shot.
I can't see, what you are describing, but I'm seeing, that Liz immediately flinches/dodges back, when the killer is approaching and standing in front of her. She got a fright - but WHY?

I can't see, what you are describing, but I'm seeing, that Liz immediately flinches/dodges back, when the killer is approaching and standing in front of her. She got a fright - but WHY?

I also noticed when the shooter got a few feet from her, Liz took a HUGE step back. I think Liz may have seen the gun on the person, because she seemed to notice the person and didn’t take the big step back until the person was up close to her.

Liz then leaned in forward when the shooter appeared to extend their left hand forward.

Some people think the shooter was passing Liz a note.

I think the shooter was showing Liz something on a screen, Liz leaned in, then was shot with the shooter using their right hand.

I do sometimes wonder if the perp knew that Liz would be off that day or if they planned to ambush her on her way to the car. I sometimes think that when they drive by her house at 6:52 the perp is driving pretty fast and does a U- Turn because they didn’t expect LB to be out and about and vulnerable. I wonder if they anticipated SB leaving by 6:50 (as opposed to 7 or 7:30 or later) and driving by just to keep track of when LB leaves? And if so do they pick to drive by at 6:52 because they expected her to leave by 7? There was a neighbor who was interviewed by a news station that mentioned SB typically left for work by 6:40-6:50 and LB left between 6:50-7. Again this type of information makes me wonder who else was also familiar with their work schedule and how would they come by this information and who would be most likely to know?
I've heard two different versions of the typical times they left for work. It was either Sergio or her parents that said Elizabeth usually left for work first and Sergio usually left for work later. Wasn't Sergio leaving earlier than usual that day due to an installation he was on with his father's company? I do wonder if the first time the killer drives past is to either verify Sergio's work vehicle is gone or the garage sale is on or both. The drive by earlier in the morning might have been to verify that Sergio was driving a work vehicle that day. What I don't recall hearing is: Did Sergio always drive a work vehicle home OR did he drive a personal vehicle to his father's business? The killer would likely have no way to know without a drive-by to verify.

I also noticed when the shooter got a few feet from her, Liz took a HUGE step back. I think Liz may have seen the gun on the person, because she seemed to notice the person and didn’t take the big step back until the person was up close to her.

Liz then leaned in forward when the shooter appeared to extend their left hand forward.

Some people think the shooter was passing Liz a note.

I think the shooter was showing Liz something on a screen, Liz leaned in, then was shot with the shooter using their right hand.
If Liz was asked to read or look at something, it would have been odd, if she could already recognize the weapon. Then she probably wouldn't have leaned forward so easily.
Maybe, he just said something very aggressive, something hurtful to her at the beginning (1-2 words), she was startled, then the killer said harshly something like: LOOK AT THAT! (showing paper or display). He couldn't have said a lot in that short time.
Speculation, as always.

If Liz was asked to read or look at something, it would have been odd, if she could already recognize the weapon. Then she probably wouldn't have leaned forward so easily.
Maybe, he just said something very aggressive, something hurtful to her at the beginning (1-2 words), she was startled, then the killer said harshly something like: LOOK AT THAT! (showing paper or display). He couldn't have said a lot in that short time.
Speculation, as always.

Hard to say.

I think the most likely thing is that Liz knew this person, and greeted them, then took the huge step back when she may have noticed the person’s gun, or some other indicator that the person was planning to do her harm. For instance, the shooter may have had super red eyes, been intoxicated, making an evil face etc.

There is one angle that I didn’t put my stock into at first, but someone mentioned that they thought the shooter may be deaf. I didn’t think much of that theory, but then noticed how the shooter didn’t flinch at all from the very loud gunshots. To be sure they were not wearing hearing protection. Anyways, I partly wonder now if the note/phone whatever extended towards Liz was writing because the person shooting her had very limited speaking ability. I think this is a major long shot, but nothing is impossible.

I think the shooter was most likely not deaf, and I have a few theories about that phone/note:

1. The shooter was showing Liz a picture of something Liz did that the shooter didn’t like.

2. The shooter was showing Liz a picture of something Liz was planning to sell at the yard sale, that Liz did not realize was so important to the person shooting her. Could have been an intimate/handmade gift from the shooter, could have been a prize Liz won that the shooter really wanted.

3. Liz was being shown a picture of herself, not realizing someone was using her picture to catfish someone else, resulting in misplaced jealousy.

4. It was a pic of the shooter and Sergio, “this should have been us”

I have others but that’s what comes to mind at the moment.

I'd like to know more about the break in/burglary. How was the house broken into? What was taken? Anything of note, eg was either LB or SB seemingly targeted? Was the place ransacked? Any fingerprints left? Any leads? Anything to link to other burglaries in the area? Was there any CCTV footage collected at the time? How long before the murder did this happen? (In the video above (thanks @arielilane) Dad says the burglary was a year prior to them buying their new home. I'm not sure how long after buying their new home the murder happened). Anything to suggest the burglary was secondary? eg, this was actually to scare someone, show they have the upper hand, rather than to steal something. Anything to suggest it was staged or something is not as it seems?

What else was going on in LB and SB's personal lives at the time of the burglary? I'm just wondering and I know it's unlikely this would be known or reported on.

In the other video quoted, at about 6:30 in, SB mentions the alarm goes off, he gets notified on his phone, calls Liz but no answer. Liz's parents also get notified of the alarm, they try to call Liz and get no answer. SB calls Liz's parents who are already/about to drive over and SB decides to drive over too. I'm trying to put myself in that situation (I know we never truly know how we'd react unless it happens, but I'm just thinking logically) - if I'd had a notification saying my home alarm had gone off, I'd check the doorbell camera straight away. Maybe I'd have called my partner first, I'm not sure, but then the next thing I'd do is check the camera, to physically see what was going on. SB doesn't do this until after he's called Liz's parents and he's driving on his way back home.

Officers entered the home and set the alarm off at 07:19:45 AM. SB is notified on his phone and LB's parents are notified (I'm assuming a short time after and by phone call as the timeline states - Liz’s parents are notified by her alarm company that the alarm has been triggered and they cannot reach Liz (LINK)). How long is the drive from SB's workplace that day back home?

Liz's parents talk about the robbery and murder.

Reporter: Take us back to that day… what do you remember?

SB: I remember getting the trigger on my phone. The alarm system… I told my co-workers and my father I've got to go - something is wrong with Liz - I tried calling her and no answer- He called Liz’s parents they said they were on their way to the house because Liz wasn’t answering for them either. As he was driving he started going through the Nest footage on his phone - he could see police tape around the house - started to scroll backwards and kind of listened to see if he could see what happened because at that moment he thought something had happened in the road, an accident, Liz was helping. He got to the section and heard the gunshots and he immediately froze I had to re-listen to it and I finally heard her scream. My world just shattered. My heart broke. At that point, he realized it was serious. He called his dad.

MOO.

Last edited:
As a massive over-worrier if my alarm went off and I couldn’t get a hold of my spouse I’d run every light, put on my hazards then drive as fast as possible to get home.
Yeah, if I was worried enough to be leaving work, I wouldn't be driving as I should be. Certainly not calmly enough to check an app while driving. Open my phone, find the app, watch the camera live, and rewind it to the scream, while driving in a rush. It's bothering me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member