TX TX - Elizabeth Barraza, 29, murdered setting up garage sale, Harris Co, Jan 2019 #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Because of victimology, it would seem that the killer comes from the cosplay activities. I've never seen a Star Wars movie or read any Harry Potter books, etc. Anyway, something tells me the killer is within the close inner circle of LB and whoever killed Liz or ordered Liz to be murdered, needs to enjoy their freedom now, because it's coming to an end.

It's clear the killer knew about the garage sale, knew about the anniversary trip, and knew LB would be out there on the driveway by herself that morning. Coward!

moo

Justice for Liz Barraza!

It does seem like it's a personal killing, so would have MOTIVE? and WHY?
Who would kill her? Why risk a live in prison over an online spat?
So who in her circle holds grudges, is unstable, or has MOTIVE?
Who gains by her death?

The most suitable environment for the killer's purposes of disguise and showing Liz something out of revenge or for distracting her , was Liz being alone in the garden during the hours when the neighborhood was deserted and I think Garage Sale provides this and the plan is calculated down to the smallest detail. On normal days, there's a good chance Liz will get in her car from the garage and go out before Sergio . The meeting at Loewe could be an excuse for Sergio to leave the house before the moving and settling of the garage sale items is completed. Or as mentioned in an above post , it might provide a good alibi.
Jmo .

Sergio may of left a bit earlier than normal to give Liz access to the driveway to set up. Granted he could have also pulled his car out and parked on the street but I don’t think he left that much earlier than usual. About 20 minutes.

This makes total sense. Hadn’t even thought of the garage sale not being the reason that specific day was picked until you reasoned it out.

I wonder if Liz normally parked her car in the driveway then. If she parked it in the garage and entered the garage from the inside of her house, it would have been much more difficult for shooter to get her while she is in a vehicle.

I have a feeling, no evidence or proof but that day was picked because of the garage sale giving them the opportunity.

The most suitable environment for the killer's purposes of disguise and showing Liz something out of revenge or for distracting her , was Liz being alone in the garden during the hours when the neighborhood was deserted and I think Garage Sale provides this and the plan is calculated down to the smallest detail. On normal days, there's a good chance Liz will get in her car from the garage and go out before Sergio . The meeting at Loewe could be an excuse for Sergio to leave the house before the moving and settling of the garage sale items is completed. Or as mentioned in an above post , it might provide a good alibi.
Jmo .

I do too. The shooter knew about the NEST camera and where they would NOT be seen if a TARGETED HIT. IMHO.
Shooting her in a parking lot might have much higher resolution cameras.
If this is random the shooter got LUCKY. They hit the Garage Sale House and luckily avoided the cameras and their license plates weren't picked up.

Another consideration - Liz was on the donor’s list. Her death, RIP, saved the lives of several people. This, motive, too, sadly has to be weighted in besides the statistically usual suspects.

Someone desperate enough would have the goal - not for Liz, but to speed things up. Hence the reason to be in a haste, to plan in such a way. The killer may be neither from a close circle nor from the state, have the time to learn LB’s morning routines cursory, and indeed, behave in a peculiar way in the neighborhood. And there is still zero connection so the killing is in the group of “random”.

What makes me include this motive, although not on top, is the choice of the gun. Isn’t a revolver potentially a lighter-impact kind of firearms? The question of four bullets looks as if there was the reason not to overkill.

Driving for the second time is a risk, but depending on the motive, I wonder if the murderer’s plan was for the police and EMT to arrive fast. I wonder if the person’s second drive was to check if the neighbors have heard the shots and reacted.

The car disappeared rapidly, the killing has the element of random and not too experienced, and it seems that the killer constantly has a couple minutes’ lead on everyone.

Last edited:
Sergio may of left a bit earlier than normal to give Liz access to the driveway to set up. Granted he could have also pulled his car out and parked on the street but I don’t think he left that much earlier than usual. About 20 minutes.
In this years’s interview, he says he left later so he could help her set up. Around 12:45 mark…

Another consideration - Liz was on the donor’s list. Her death, RIP, saved the lives of several people. This, motive, too, sadly has to be weighted in besides the statistically usual suspects.

Someone desperate enough would have the goal - not for Liz, but to speed things up. Hence the reason to be in a haste, to risk and to plan in such a way. The killer may be not from a close circle, may not be from the state, even, have the time to learn LB’s morning routines cursory, and indeed, behave like they behaved in the neighborhood. And there is still zero connection so the killing is in the group of “random”.

What makes me include this motive, although not on top, is the choice of the gun. Isn’t a revolver potentially a lighter-impact kind of firearms? When I listened to a known psychologist analyzing the case, he mentioned the killer not being terribly experienced, if you will, and asked, why four bullets? (He thought the perp had no intention to be caught alive). I instantly thought of the need to not overkill.

Driving for the second time is a risk, but depending on the motive, I wonder if the murderer’s plan was for the police and EMT to arrive fast. I wonder if the person’s second drive was to check if the neighbors have heard the shots and reacted.

Ok, who would know her BLOOD TYPE? Doesn't the donor have to have a match? I will admit I know ZERO about this and will go research.
And there's no guarantee that person would even be on the list to accept the organ they'd have to live close by.

I have a feeling, no evidence or proof but that day was picked because of the garage sale giving them the opportunity.
… and according to her parents and husband, only a handful of people knew about the sale. Unless someone saw a sign, and those were put up the evening before. So that narrows the pool of POIs, IMO.

This is what I was asking myself, too. But logically, after five years, funds or property or something like this would be easier to access, not more difficult.

But what do I know? Maybe it simply had to do with a certain percentage of mortgage being paid after five years, or something similar. Or, indeed, a relative being old, and someone wishing to limit the number of benefactors. Somehow I can’t shake off that anniversary trip tied into it.
I was thinking of it this way: Say I leave a bunch of money or property to my kids in a trust when I die, but they cannot access it until they are 27. On top of that, if they have a kid, then my grandkid gets a cut too. Or maybe spouses if married more than 5 years. You can write a will or trust however you want!

again, just an example!

Ok, who would know her BLOOD TYPE? Doesn't the donor have to have a match? I will admit I know ZERO about this and will go research.
And there's no guarantee that person would even be on the list to accept the organ they'd have to live close by.

Now, the donor movement is amazing. I personally know several people who donated a kidney. So on the one hand, we have raised a generation of very altruistic and giving people, but on the other, just because there enough willing donors, it doesn’t mean the recipient might be lucky.

It is the HLA system that matters. It includes genes from major histocompatibility complex, involved in graft-versus-host and host-versus-graft responses. I have to look up how many do they need now to match, but your HLA makeup is unique, and if it is very rare, one can be out of luck. HLA basics.

ETA: this is a huge article highlighting the novel problems. They used to match by Class I HLA-A and B antigens, but there are others that may create later problems, Class DQ molecules. https://www.kidney-international.org/article/S0085-2538(21)00657-8/fulltext#:~:text=The kidney allocation system.&text=assigns priority only for allocating,ages 11–17 years).

Bottom line. You might be a perfect match by six HLA antigens. But HLA system is vast and complex, it is our unique immunity. And it may be so that one can get his “dream” kidney or any other solid organ but a certain mismatch in another part of HLA system (not included into previously existing matching algorithms) will end up in your body developing antibodies against the recipient’s kidney and, ultimately, rejection of the transplant. 12% of people on the transplant list are the ones whose initial transplant failed. Worse, only now it is becoming apparent that lack of initial rejection doesn’t yet mean that your transplant is a good match. HLA-DQ system is being a newly recognized factor in later rejection. Several years ago, transplantology was very sure of itself, what with new powerful immunosuppressants, too, it had a great future. But in this article they say that children receiving a transplant may well need another one in their lives. As a recipient walks with his seemingly well-matched transplant, still, with time his body generates more antibodies against the transplant. Worse, they may target not only specific (DQ) antigens expressed on the transplant, but a whole set of other antigens of a similar type. Then when rejection of transplant happens, new matching is becoming very difficult. So, we are back to square one it seems, good matching is everything and is not always easy. (So, you know how many people with type O blood group feel compelled to donate blood because they are universal donors and they know their blood saves lives? But Rh + or minus matters too? With transplantology, it is similar principle, but way, way more complex).

Last edited:
I think the transplant theory is very far fetched. Imo. Why shoot someone in the head/face if you want them to definitely live long enough to be taken to hospital so that the organs cab be harvested? Also the risk of missing and damaging the organ you want.

I'm not on board.

A test run? Yes, absolutely could be.
However, this shooter is damn lucky their license plate wasn't detected or they would have been caught by now.
Did they know there weren't any great surveillance cameras at the school?
Would you assume the cameras weren't that great? Either BRAZEN and BOLD and/or incredibly STUPID.
Not just a test run, but one done to ensure that the next morning SB would be in the company of others who could provide him a solid alibi at the time of his wife’s murder.

The husband would be among the first of those considered persons of interest based on statistics alone. So, IF the 2 am test run was done for the purpose of checking the time it would take SB to drive from home to Lowe’s, it may Indicate the killer wanted to ensure that it was easily provable SB was not in the vicinity. (Note that SB may have had no idea the killer was planning the murder and protecting him in this way as part of the plan.).

Who would have twin motivations to:
(1) put EB permanently out of the picture, AND
(2) protect SB from suspicion of involvement?

I could see only a few possibilities:
(1) someone who has a serious romantic interest in SB, or
(2) a close friend of SB’s who considers EB a poor mate for SB, or
(3) a close relative who considers EB a poor mate for SB.

But among those, who would have the means to place SB (or knowledge that SB would be placing himself) in the company of others who could vouch for his presence at that time of day?

Whose idea was it that SB meet others at Lowe’s before continuing on to work that morning? And if SB’s idea, who else knew about it?

SB meeting others at Lowe’s could have served two functions: (1) put SB in the presence of others who could vouch for his whereabouts at that time of day, and (2) keep SB away from the job site so SB would not know who was NOT at the job site (but typically would be) at that time of day.

The timing of the murder - very shortly after SB left, but before any garage sale shoppers show up, seems too precise to be presumed coincidental. I’d be very curious to know whether SB or those meeting SB at Lowe’s had any phone or text contact with anyone else around the time SB arrived at Lowe’s. (If SB or those he was meeting did have such contact, it may have been completely innocent on their part.)

Not just a test run, but one done to ensure that the next morning SB would be in the company of others who could provide him a solid alibi at the time of his wife’s murder.

The husband would be among the first of those considered persons of interest based on statistics alone. So, IF the 2 am test run was done for the purpose of checking the time it would take SB to drive from home to Lowe’s, it may Indicate the killer wanted to ensure that it was easily provable SB was not in the vicinity. (Note that SB may have had no idea the killer was planning the murder and protecting him in this way as part of the plan.).

Who would have twin motivations to:
(1) put EB permanently out of the picture, AND
(2) protect SB from suspicion of involvement?

I could see only a few possibilities:
(1) someone who has a serious romantic interest in SB, or
(2) a close friend of SB’s who considers EB a poor mate for SB, or
(3) a close relative who considers EB a poor mate for SB.

But among those, who would have the means to place SB (or knowledge that SB would be placing himself) in the company of others who could vouch for his presence at that time of day?

Whose idea was it that SB meet others at Lowe’s before continuing on to work that morning? And if SB’s idea, who else knew about it?

SB meeting others at Lowe’s could have served two functions: (1) put SB in the presence of others who could vouch for his whereabouts at that time of day, and (2) keep SB away from the job site so SB would not know who was NOT at the job site (but typically would be) at that time of day.

The timing of the murder - very shortly after SB left, but before any garage sale shoppers show up, seems too precise to be presumed coincidental. I’d be very curious to know whether SB or those meeting SB at Lowe’s had any phone or text contact with anyone else around the time SB arrived at Lowe’s. (If SB or those he was meeting did have such contact, it may have been completely innocent on their part.)

well stated.
I thought SB was cleared by LE.
But I do feel someone knew EB's schedule down to the exact minute. It's kinda strange.

I know some about “the donor” list from experience (kidney = stepfather). It could be different from my family members.

It’s really a crap shoot…meaning who is next in line on the list for a specific organ. The recipient does not know where they stand on that list. My stepdad was lucky enough (after years of waiting) to receive the call.., he had a gash on his leg and he was rejected...second call was years later. Actually the day he died. We were so excited and rushed over there to see why he wasn’t answering the phone. He was dead on the couch.

My point is the recipient always has to be healthy, no drinking, and get mandated medical, tests, dentals etc. to remain on the list….be compatible depending on organ. I believe the “list” is limited to your state… not sure.

However, in my research for this case I did see you can specify whom you want to donate to.

I don’t believe this is the killers motive but…you never know.

well stated.
I thought SB was cleared by LE.
But I do feel someone knew EB's schedule down to the exact minute. It's kinda strange.
According to the detective in the Paula Zahn special, SB is definitely not cleared and high on the suspect list. He didn't say he was the only suspect, just that everyone else has been cleared. For more precise wording, I'd suggest watching the episode or reading the last thread.

• Liz met Sergio Barraza while in college at Sam Houston State University in Huntsville, Texas.
  • Liz and Sergio adopted a dappled dachshund puppy while in college and named him Diesel.
  • Liz graduated from Sam Houston State University with a Bachelor's degree in Psychology in 2012.
  • Liz married Sergio Barraza on February 1, 2014.
  • Liz worked at the Rosen Group as a data reporter.
  • Sergio worked with his father Oscar Barraza, Sr. as a crew chief installing flooring.
  • Liz and Sergio did not have any children.
  • Liz and Sergio loved to go to the Texas Renaissance Festival dressed in costumes that they created.
  • Liz and Sergio purchased their home in the Princeton Place subdivision in April of 2016.
  • Liz and Sergio were both members of the 501st Legion - Star Garrison - South Texas Squadron.
  • Liz had 2 approved costumes - a Biker Scout and a Jawa. Her TKID was TB-93474.
  • At the time of her death Liz was on the command staff as an Event Coordinator for The South Texas Squad.
  • Liz and Sergio were planning to leave for Orlando, Florida (Universal Studios and Disney) on Sunday January 27, 2019 to celebrate their 5th wedding anniversary.
  • Liz had the garage sale to get some extra money to spend on souvenirs on their upcoming trip.
  • Other than a few signs, set up in the neighborhood the garage sale was not advertised on her social media.
  • Liz and Sergio put out the neighborhood signs the night before the sale - January 24, 2019.
  • The murderer’s vehicle was a dark colored Nissan Frontier 4X4 with a PRO-4X sticker.
  • The murderer took nothing from the scene.
  • The murderer fired a total of 4 shots from a revolver at point blank range. The first shot was a through and through the side of her neck, and ended up striking the house after hitting Liz. The next two rounds were in her chest as observed by her parents on a portable x-ray device. The final shot was in her face and was the shot that caused her death. There is a police report quoting an ER nurse that says she was shot three times -- this is incorrect.
  • Three neighbors called 911 to report the gun shots.
  • Harris County Constables from Precinct 4 were the first to respond.
  • The murderer drove back by the scene after having departed the subdivision.
  • Liz was taken by Life Flight to Memorial Hermann Hospital in Houston.
  • Liz was pronounced dead at 1:40 PM on Saturday, January 26th, 2019.
  • Liz was an organ donor. She gave her heart, liver and both kidneys. Her corneas were also gifted.
  • Liz’s organ recipients spent a total of 8,144 days on the transplant lists.
  • Liz’s remains were cremated.
  • Liz has a memorial paver at the Crime Stoppers of Houston headquarters building
  • The investigation is active with the Harris County Sheriff's Office.
  • The original lead detective was Detective Michael Ritchie with the Harris County Sheriff’s Office.
  • Detective Michael Ritchie was promoted to Sergeant in June of 2020 and was transferred to the HCSO Patrol Division. Within the HCSO Sheriff's office it is customary for a newly promoted officer to transfer to another division such as Patrol or the County Jail.
  • Wallace Wyatt, Jr. became the lead Detective on her case from June of 2020 until March of 2023.
  • Sergeant Michael Ritchie transferred back to Homicide in March of 2023 and has resumed his role as the lead investigator on her case.
  • In October of 2023 Sergeant Jeff Thomas (Harris County Sheriff's Office) joined the case, acting as Lead Detective working alongside Michael Ritchie. The case continues as a highly active investigation.
  • Crime Stoppers created a $5,000.00 reward. Prior to the press conference on February 6, 2019 the reward was supplemented by donations from a started by Oscar Barraza, Jr. - Sergio’s brother. The Peter Mayhew Foundation worked with Oscar Barraza, Jr. to raise the total supplemental reward by $15,000.00 making the initial reward up to $20,000.00.
  • The reward of $20,000 was announced at a Crime Stoppers of Houston Press conference on February 6, 2019. Link to that Event here: 02/06/2019 Fox 26 Crime Stoppers of Houston Press Conference
  • Liz was a beloved person to Peter Mayhew, his wonderful wife Angie, and their charitable organization - The Peter Mayhew Foundation. Peter Mayhew is best known for his role as Chewbacca in 5 Star Wars films.
  • Liz’s parents, with the support of Detective Wallace Wyatt, Jr., Andy Kahan of Crime Stoppers of Houston, and District Attorney Kim Ogg, conducted a campaign and raised the reward by $30,000 dollars for the third anniversary of her murder - January 25, 2022.
  • The increased reward stands at $50,000.00. This was announced at a Press Conference on 01/25/2022. Link to that Event here: Crime Stoppers of Houston Press Conference .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NazmiaWojo