TX TX - Elizabeth Barraza, 29, murdered setting up garage sale, Harris Co, Jan 2019 #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve just started reviewing this case after seeing this thread pop up over and over and finally deciding to dive in! I haven’t read every post, but I’ve skimmed, listened to podcasts and watched some videos. Here is my $0.02 (all my speculation, IMO, etc):

-I believe the shooter is a man. At first I thought woman, but the movements and voice I hear seem male. I thought the height was too short, but I think the person is taller than Liz with the driveway grade. (Wearing clothes and wig to disguise).
-The timing of the attack being so close to when the husband leaves seems to me to indicate someone close to them. I’m not saying the husband was involved, but someone knew what to look for or had some inside info to know exactly when he was gone.
-I’ve not found much about or from SB‘s parents or family.
-Interesting that the detective says her parents will be devastated when they make an arrest. Goes along with someone close to them being behind her murder.
- the garage sale…. I’m not sure it matters. I suspect the shooter would have gone up to the door, or waited for Liz to leave for work to approach. I kinda think the garage sale was luck.
-I don’t think it’s work related (Liz’s work). I just don’t get the feeling someone in that circle would know all the details of when her husband was leaving/etc, and I haven’t heard she had any issues at all at work. I supposed someone could have been jealous or felt slighted and knew when Liz typically left for work so they scoped/stalked. But I doubt it.
-The anger that seems to radiate from the encounter leads me to believe that the shooter hated Liz directly or hated her because she upset someone he cares about.
-Some examples of what I mean above:
-a woman’s husband/boyfriend thinks Liz is amazing/perfect and the wife/girlfriend is sick of hearing it (jealousy). Her good male friend or brother says “let’s kill her”. I envision this being in the Cosplay circle. Maybe Liz is somehow blocking this person from being popular in that group (or getting a costume approved etc).
-replace above with a couple who both hate her.
-a woman/man thinks SB (the husband) is being controlled or disrespected by Liz and cares so much about SB’s future that they feel they need to get rid of her. This could be Cosplay, but I think more family/friend related.

Anyway, thanks for listening and please let me know your thoughts! I hope they solve this for Liz and her parents, soon!

I do not think this person is wearing a wig, and I believe it is a woman. I believe this woman is a mother, and is in the 501st Legion. She has long, black hair.

I also do not think a man would go through the trouble of finding women's boots their size to take out the attack.

I would like to note that in nearly every unsolved case where the perpetrator is seen on video, with any type of concealment, always has speculation to the persons gender.

Missy Bevers with the full SWAT gear perp, the Florence Salon Murders with the Jeepers Creepers type outfit, Aliza Sherman's killer was fully concealed in a black getup, the person seen on footage in the Jennifer Keese case with the painting suit on but just happens to have their face concealed in the frame.

Notably, these unknown killers are speculated to be a man or a woman depending on the perception of who is watching the footage.

Also, most noteworthy to me, the victims where always women. I have yet to see a case with a murders concealed identity where a man was the victim and the perps gender was debated for male or female.

But among those, who would have the means to place SB (or knowledge that SB would be placing himself) in the company of others who could vouch for his presence at that time of day?

Whose idea was it that SB meet others at Lowe’s before continuing on to work that morning? And if SB’s idea, who else knew about it?
In the Case Supplemental Report Sergio states: he has a flooring company with his Father and that they meet every day at the Lowes located on Kukendahl RD.

His Father and co-workers would know the meet-up time. Unsure if it varied daily (likely considering the profession).

Detective Ritchie said no unusual calls on Sergio’s phone that morning but a known contact wouldn’t be an unusual call. They then call someone else.

(source: Arrin Stoner Video).
Something that could change at a certain time trigger - access to funds or property in a trust or will. I have zero knowledge of anything like this in the Barraza’s case, but it’s one answer to your question.
Her insurance maybe? A policy usually takes two years to access full benefits or some of her work benefits like 401k etc.

According to the detective in the Paula Zahn special, SB is definitely not cleared and high on the suspect list. He didn't say he was the only suspect, just that everyone else has been cleared. For more precise wording, I'd suggest watching the episode or reading the last thread.
Thank you for the reference to the Paula Zahn special (For others who are interested, it is: On the Case with Paula Zahn: A Fairy Tale Ruined on Investigation Discovery channel, Season 25, Episode 8).

In that special, SB tells Paula Zahn that he left the house at 6:47 am. The shooting is reported to have occurred at 6:52 am, so if SB's estimate of his departure time is correct, he left only 5 minutes before his wife was shot

I'm fairly new to following this case, but I also learned from that program that while the first three shots were all to EB's upper body and neck area, the 4th and final shot was to EB's face. That seems to me to indicate a very personal hostility.

I'm impressed by the detectives who've worked the case and who appeared on the special.

I'm also very impressed by EB's parents (EB resembled both of them). Their deep love for their daughter and her memory has motivated them to do things in the pursuit of justice that would be exceedingly difficult for any parent to bear, including watching the murder on video. I hope they see this case resolved and justice delivered.

(Edited to add more information about the Zahn program and my impressions.)
  • Liz met Sergio Barraza while in college at Sam Houston State University in Huntsville, Texas.
  • Liz and Sergio adopted a dappled dachshund puppy while in college and named him Diesel.
  • Liz graduated from Sam Houston State University with a Bachelor's degree in Psychology in 2012.
  • Liz married Sergio Barraza on February 1, 2014.
  • Liz worked at the Rosen Group as a data reporter.
  • Sergio worked with his father Oscar Barraza, Sr. as a crew chief installing flooring.
  • Liz and Sergio did not have any children.
  • Liz and Sergio loved to go to the Texas Renaissance Festival dressed in costumes that they created.
  • Liz and Sergio purchased their home in the Princeton Place subdivision in April of 2016.
  • Liz and Sergio were both members of the 501st Legion - Star Garrison - South Texas Squadron.
  • Liz had 2 approved costumes - a Biker Scout and a Jawa. Her TKID was TB-93474.
  • At the time of her death Liz was on the command staff as an Event Coordinator for The South Texas Squad.
  • Liz and Sergio were planning to leave for Orlando, Florida (Universal Studios and Disney) on Sunday January 27, 2019 to celebrate their 5th wedding anniversary.
  • Liz had the garage sale to get some extra money to spend on souvenirs on their upcoming trip.
  • Other than a few signs, set up in the neighborhood the garage sale was not advertised on her social media.
  • Liz and Sergio put out the neighborhood signs the night before the sale - January 24, 2019.
  • The murderer’s vehicle was a dark colored Nissan Frontier 4X4 with a PRO-4X sticker.
  • The murderer took nothing from the scene.
  • The murderer fired a total of 4 shots from a revolver at point blank range. The first shot was a through and through the side of her neck, and ended up striking the house after hitting Liz. The next two rounds were in her chest as observed by her parents on a portable x-ray device. The final shot was in her face and was the shot that caused her death. There is a police report quoting an ER nurse that says she was shot three times -- this is incorrect.
  • Three neighbors called 911 to report the gun shots.
  • Harris County Constables from Precinct 4 were the first to respond.
  • The murderer drove back by the scene after having departed the subdivision.
  • Liz was taken by Life Flight to Memorial Hermann Hospital in Houston.
  • Liz was pronounced dead at 1:40 PM on Saturday, January 26th, 2019.
  • Liz was an organ donor. She gave her heart, liver and both kidneys. Her corneas were also gifted.
  • Liz’s organ recipients spent a total of 8,144 days on the transplant lists.
  • Liz’s remains were cremated.
  • Liz has a memorial paver at the Crime Stoppers of Houston headquarters building
  • The investigation is active with the Harris County Sheriff's Office.
  • The original lead detective was Detective Michael Ritchie with the Harris County Sheriff’s Office.
  • Detective Michael Ritchie was promoted to Sergeant in June of 2020 and was transferred to the HCSO Patrol Division. Within the HCSO Sheriff's office it is customary for a newly promoted officer to transfer to another division such as Patrol or the County Jail.
  • Wallace Wyatt, Jr. became the lead Detective on her case from June of 2020 until March of 2023.
  • Sergeant Michael Ritchie transferred back to Homicide in March of 2023 and has resumed his role as the lead investigator on her case.
  • In October of 2023 Sergeant Jeff Thomas (Harris County Sheriff's Office) joined the case, acting as Lead Detective working alongside Michael Ritchie. The case continues as a highly active investigation.
  • Crime Stoppers created a $5,000.00 reward. Prior to the press conference on February 6, 2019 the reward was supplemented by donations from a started by Oscar Barraza, Jr. - Sergio’s brother. The Peter Mayhew Foundation worked with Oscar Barraza, Jr. to raise the total supplemental reward by $15,000.00 making the initial reward up to $20,000.00.
  • The reward of $20,000 was announced at a Crime Stoppers of Houston Press conference on February 6, 2019. Link to that Event here: 02/06/2019 Fox 26 Crime Stoppers of Houston Press Conference
  • Liz was a beloved person to Peter Mayhew, his wonderful wife Angie, and their charitable organization - The Peter Mayhew Foundation. Peter Mayhew is best known for his role as Chewbacca in 5 Star Wars films.
  • Liz’s parents, with the support of Detective Wallace Wyatt, Jr., Andy Kahan of Crime Stoppers of Houston, and District Attorney Kim Ogg, conducted a campaign and raised the reward by $30,000 dollars for the third anniversary of her murder - January 25, 2022.
  • The increased reward stands at $50,000.00. This was announced at a Press Conference on 01/25/2022. Link to that Event here: Crime Stoppers of Houston Press Conference.
Thank you for the bulleted list of "knowns" and the links.

Last edited:
I just watched the Paula Zahn episode - thanks for the recommendation!

So SB says in his interview earlier this year with Grace White on KHOU that he has not claimed the life insurance money, and he he says to PZ that he doesn’t talk to his father. Hmmm.

I stand corrected on the garage sale not being a factor. More people than I thought knew about it. And the idea that it created a situation where she was both there alone AND SB was elsewhere with people is very telling IMO.

i just hope they can gather enough solid evidence to make an arrest and bring justice for Liz.

Also, most noteworthy to me, the victims were always women. I have yet to see a case with a murders concealed identity where a man was the victim and the perps gender was debated for male or female.
SBM - Scott Ratigan is one.

And although I don’t have a specific suspect here, for what it’s worth I agree with you that the perp probably is a woman wearing her normal clothes. I do think it’s possible she is wearing a wig, but apart from that I don’t believe there’s a disguise element here.

I think the transplant theory is very far fetched. Imo. Why shoot someone in the head/face if you want them to definitely live long enough to be taken to hospital so that the organs cab be harvested? Also the risk of missing and damaging the organ you want.

I'm not on board.

In fact, this is exactly what made me think of it, how badly executed it was from all aspects but time. Time-wise, and wound-wise, it was excellently planned if you look at the results. And, the wounds were fatal but lots of organs could be harvested. (A wound in the face, but both corneas intact, for example. The person seems to know anatomy.) I agree, though, the theory it is far-fetched. I am merely a little bit perplexed by the lack of any movement in LB case in five years. I am beginning to wonder if perhaps the most obvious suspects' alibis are true, and whether no valid information can be further obtained from any source. I also think that if Liz was careful with her sales, she might have been more careful and guarded in general, and discussed less than others with her friends. (If the audio phrase "it is not worthy of it" is indeed what was said, one wonders if it is a repetition of a phrase that Liz once had uttered to someone who kept grudge. But, with the audio, one can never be sure what one hears).

If the murder stays unsolved, transplants is simply an angle to look at unexplained, unconnected murders in several states.

In fact, this is exactly what made me think of it, how badly executed it was from all aspects but time. Time-wise, and wound-wise, it was excellently planned if you look at the results. And, the wounds were fatal but lots of organs could be harvested. (A wound in the face, but both corneas intact, for example. The person seems to know anatomy.) I agree, though, the theory it is far-fetched. I am merely a little bit perplexed by the lack of any movement in LB case in five years. I am beginning to wonder if perhaps the most obvious suspects' alibis are true, and whether no valid information can be further obtained from any source. I also think that if Liz was careful with her sales, she might have been more careful and guarded in general, and discussed less than others with her friends. (If the audio phrase "it is not worthy of it" is indeed what was said, one wonders if it is a repetition of a phrase that Liz once had uttered to someone who kept grudge. But, with the audio, one can never be sure what one hears).

If the murder stays unsolved, transplants is simply an angle to look at unexplained, unconnected murders in several states.
There is a transplant theory?

That is a little off the rails for me....

I know some about “the donor” list from experience (kidney = stepfather). It could be different from my family members.

It’s really a crap shoot…meaning who is next in line on the list for a specific organ. The recipient does not know where they stand on that list. My stepdad was lucky enough (after years of waiting) to receive the call.., he had a gash on his leg and he was rejected...second call was years later. Actually the day he died. We were so excited and rushed over there to see why he wasn’t answering the phone. He was dead on the couch.

My point is the recipient always has to be healthy, no drinking, and get mandated medical, tests, dentals etc. to remain on the list….be compatible depending on organ. I believe the “list” is limited to your state… not sure.

However, in my research for this case I did see you can specify whom you want to donate to.

I don’t believe this is the killers motive but…you never know.

Not the state. The country, maybe, for solid organs. I know for bone marrow, it might be so that EU has own. I knew of a girl who was on two European lists, but BM is different.

I think there is an algorithm that pushes people up or down the waiting list, the article I linked mentioned some points for kids.

But the way the algorithm works, if your relative is a live donor and you will need a donation in the future, the fact that he donated does push you to on the top, automatically.

I would say, the recipient may know, it is more difficult to get a list of HLA-matching donors, but I suspect there may be other ways to find out. I am not going to get into details, but there might be. Plus, I constantly read about data breaches, and assume everyone is after patients’ credit cards and SSN, but not necessarily

According to the detective in the Paula Zahn special, SB is definitely not cleared and high on the suspect list. He didn't say he was the only suspect, just that everyone else has been cleared. For more precise wording, I'd suggest watching the episode or reading the last thread.

Thank you, I did watch the special but I wasn't sure if we are allowed to discuss that here. I was being cautious.
I too feel two or more are involved in the conspiracy to commit murder, one shooter, possibly two in the get-a-way car.

SBM - Scott Ratigan is one.

And although I don’t have a specific suspect here, for what it’s worth I agree with you that the perp probably is a woman wearing her normal clothes. I do think it’s possible she is wearing a wig, but apart from that I don’t believe there’s a disguise element here.

It would be easier to NOT have to wear a wig, a rubber mask, and a dress in go-go boots if you know you must RUN to FLEE the scene of the crime, plus wigs SHED like crazy! Go-Go boots have platform heels and offer no traction in slippery wet grass, in other words why risk falling and skinning your knee on the pavement leaving blood/DNA at the scene?
So either someone who is extremely comfortable wearing a costume this elaborate and is coordinated enough NOT to slip or fall while running in go-go boots? Ever tried it on grass and then concrete sidewalk? I do NOT recommend it!
But it's NOT IMPOSSIBLE! Crazier things have happened.

If police suggested a WIG I wonder if they found synthetic wig hair at the scene.

It would be easier to NOT have to wear a wig, a rubber mask, and a dress in go-go boots if you know you must RUN to FLEE the scene of the crime, plus wigs SHED like crazy! Go-Go boots have platform heels and offer no traction in slippery wet grass, in other words why risk falling and skinning your knee on the pavement leaving blood/DNA at the scene?
So either someone who is extremely comfortable wearing a costume this elaborate and is coordinated enough NOT to slip or fall while running in go-go boots? Ever tried it on grass and then concrete sidewalk? I do NOT recommend it!

If police suggested a WIG I wonder if they found synthetic wig hair at the scene.

If it was inside, I would find the wig hairs being found a little more believable.

This was outside, on pavement, with potential wind and cars driving by as additional factors.

The shooter came and went pretty quickly.

Being that it was outside and that it could encroach on other people’s properties, I find it a little far fetched to think wig fibers were recovered.

The footage is sorta grainy and the person appears to have long, dark hair (at times).

I personally think the shooter is a mother, in the 501st legion, and happens to have long black hair.

If it was inside, I would find the wig hairs being found a little more believable.

This was outside, on pavement, with potential wind and cars driving by as additional factors.

Being that it was outside and that it could encroach on other people’s properties, I find it a little far fetched to think wig fibers were recovered.

The footage is sorta grainy and the person appears to have long, dark hair (at times).

I personally think the shooter is a mother, in the 501st legion, and happens to have long black hair.
There are quite a few women in the legion. Is there a reason you suspect that particular one?

In the Case Supplemental Report Sergio states: he has a flooring company with his Father and that they meet every day at the Lowes located on Kukendahl RD.

His Father and co-workers would know the meet-up time. Unsure if it varied daily (likely considering the profession).

Detective Ritchie said no unusual calls on Sergio’s phone that morning but a known contact wouldn’t be an unusual call. They then call someone else.

(source: Arrin Stoner Video).

Her insurance maybe? A policy usually takes two years to access full benefits or some of her work benefits like 401k etc.
I was thinking along those lines too but I read online that due to the Slayer Rule if a policy holder is murdered some insurance companies will not pay beneficiaries until they have been cleared or the investigation is complete. Sometimes even after the investigation is complete, companies will contest paying the beneficiaries on the basis of fraud if they still have suspicion or evidence that the beneficiaries committed or helped plan the murders. I wonder what the likelihood was/is like for Sergio since was Liz’s husband, the case is still unsolved and as expected with many other similar cases like this, he would be under a cloud of suspicion as culprit?

Not accusing or anything just questioning along the same lines you were

OK here are old Slavic life-hacks on how to not fall, running away in boots with slippery heels on black ice.
- use tissue-backed adhesive plaster. Two pieces criss-crossing over the sole and the heel. Not permanent but OK for a trip
- pieces of sandpaper glued to the sole and heel
- sand over superglue
- potato rubbed over the sole and the heel
- grate the sole with a cheese grater
- From very old times, a piece of thin pantyhose is pulled on the sole and “welded” to the sole by gently heating over a lighter, then the edges are trimmed.

I was thinking along those lines too but I read online that due to the Slayer Rule if a policy holder is murdered some insurance companies will not pay beneficiaries until they have been cleared or the investigation is complete. Sometimes even after the investigation is complete, companies will contest paying the beneficiaries on the basis of fraud if they still have suspicion or evidence that the beneficiaries committed or helped plan the murders. I wonder what the likelihood was/is like for Sergio since was Liz’s husband, the case is still unsolved and as expected with many other similar cases like this, he would be under a cloud of suspicion as culprit?

I think that perhaps, till the dust settles and your name is exonerated, you don’t want to drag in insurances with their own detectives meddling in the case. MOO.

OK here are old Slavic life-hacks on how to not fall, running away in boots with slippery heels on black ice.
- use tissue-backed adhesive plaster. Two pieces criss-crossing over the sole and the heel. Not permanent but OK for a trip
- pieces of sandpaper glued to the sole and heel
- sand over superglue
- potato rubbed over the sole and the heel
- grate the sole with a cheese grater
- From very old times, a piece of thin pantyhose is pulled on the sole and “welded” to the sole by gently heating over a lighter, then the edges are trimmed.

I am very impressed! But that's a lot of work don't you think to go through when flat soled boot would suffice?
Anything at this point is possible though especially if the shooter was into costumes, and cosplay.

It would make logical sense if it was a man or woman with long hair.
I have wigs and they do shed just walking or running. So it's possible one did drop at the scene of the crime.
Not sure LE thinks it's a wig unless they found evidence of a wig. Or are they just suggesting it could be a wig?

Yes of course the slayer rule would be in effect, that is why it is so confusing when Sergio says he has not touched it. He acts like he can. It is because he cannot. As we know LE finally said he is not cleared contrary to all the early podcasts etc that stated he was.it confuses me why he assumes it is available at all.
Good thing insurance companies record all calls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper