TX TX - Elizabeth Barraza, 29, murdered setting up garage sale, Harris Co, Jan 2019 #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
One part of this case I thought was strange was how the killer drives by to see if Elizabeth Barraza is there before committing the murder. It is like they do not want to park in the area to watch.

Why did the killer not just park a few houses down and wait for Sergio's white van to pull out of the driveway? Then they could have simply pulled up to the Barraza house and got out quickly to commit the murder. We need to remember the murder happened right about the same time as when Elizabeth Barraza would normally be walking to her car to get in and go to work. She took off January 25th for the garage sale. This cannot take more than 10-20 seconds from the front door to her car.

One interesting point is how if the killer had done what I thought they would do, they could have murdered Elizabeth Barraza earlier either when she left to go to Starbucks or when she arrived back from Starbucks and parked her car on the street in front of the house. According to footage she arrived back from Starbucks at 6:18 am. Where was the killer?

1/25/2024
Interview with Sergeant Ritchie
Very intriguing. This caught my attention the most.

Ritchie states the last few months the focus has been on advances in technology.

2019 vs. 2024

They are utilizing new technology with their Crime Scene Units and with the Texas Rangers using the SEROLOGY AND DNA LAB.

LE is also focusing on different warrants for websites the killer could have used to plan the murder.

Serology is used to find evidence of an identifiable body fluid, while DNA analysis seeks to accurately match those fluids to a specific individual. I attached an article for reference. This is cool.

I wonder what they are testing. It does look like the exercise machine was touched. The bullet casings? Is the note rumor true?

I hope this leads to something. The interview is well worth the watch. It touches on other subjects too.

This was a revolver, so no casings. I doubt the bullets retrieved from inside Liz were much use either.

I didn't see the shooter touch anything.

The footage is not the best quality. I could see something like the killer spitting on her and use not being able to see that act in the footage.

How many people, after they saw the video of Elizabeth Barraza being shot, thought she was dead?

I know when I first saw the video I thought she was dead. It was only later after watching some youtube videos going through reports by LE that I realized she was still alive on January 25th. She did not die until the next day, January 26th. According to reports, the LifeFlight helicopter took off at 7:36am. Another video released showed Sergio's interaction with LE the morning of the murder and they never tell him his wife is dead or that they think she is dead. He asks when he can go see her.

I thought the neighbors would have seen the LifeFlight helicopter. On one of the news reports on the day of the shooting, January 25th, when asked about Elizabeth Barraza a neighbor said, "Like I lost a friend." But maybe the neighbor did not see the LifeFlight helicopter and thought the same thing as I did.

One part of this case I thought was strange was how the killer drives by to see if Elizabeth Barraza is there before committing the murder. It is like they do not want to park in the area to watch.

Why did the killer not just park a few houses down and wait for Sergio's white van to pull out of the driveway? Then they could have simply pulled up to the Barraza house and got out quickly to commit the murder. We need to remember the murder happened right about the same time as when Elizabeth Barraza would normally be walking to her car to get in and go to work. She took off January 25th for the garage sale. This cannot take more than 10-20 seconds from the front door to her car.

One interesting point is how if the killer had done what I thought they would do, they could have murdered Elizabeth Barraza earlier either when she left to go to Starbucks or when she arrived back from Starbucks and parked her car on the street in front of the house. According to footage she arrived back from Starbucks at 6:18 am. Where was the killer?

I think there could be a couple of potential reasons for the killer not wanting to shoot from the vehicle.

1) It would have been harder to confront Liz with a note, if that is what the killer was doing.

2) The killer was able to walk up to Liz and shoot her point blank. Being inside the truck could have made it much more difficult to shoot Liz with accuracy. The last thing any shooter (no matter how skilled) would want is to chase a target around a neighborhood after missing their first shot, and then missing more shots while giving chase. This plan would have gone awry QUICK if that had happened. There the truck would sit, attracting more attention.

I do have some theories that aren't as practical and solid as the aforementioned.

1) The killer was driving a sleeping child around to not look suspicious and did not want to fire a gun with them inside the car.

2) The truck was "borrowed" (with or without the owner's knowledge) and the shooter didn't want to damage it and/or have it in the road where a neighbor could jot down the license plate.

3) The house. It is bothering me really bad that the shooter took measures to make sure Liz was shot parallel to the house and not shot with the house in the background.

4) I touched on this in the Missy Bevers case. Why didn't her killer just ambush her in the parking lot? Also didn't want Missy as a moving target, and with Missy's case she likely had a handgun within reach and could return fire. Missy would be inside the vehicle too, adding a smaller layer of protection. But I also thought about Missy's potential bystanders and if someone who knew her well was not 110% percent sure she didn't have one of her daughters with her. What if there was someone that ran the risk of being a bystander? Could be anyone really though. Liz's father, Sergio, random and unexpected people. This could possibly answer the question about driving by first.

1/25/2024
Interview with Sergeant Ritchie
Very intriguing. This caught my attention the most.

Ritchie states the last few months the focus has been on advances in technology.

2019 vs. 2024

They are utilizing new technology with their Crime Scene Units and with the Texas Rangers using the SEROLOGY AND DNA LAB.

LE is also focusing on different warrants for websites the killer could have used to plan the murder.

Serology is used to find evidence of an identifiable body fluid, while DNA analysis seeks to accurately match those fluids to a specific individual. I attached an article for reference. This is cool.

I wonder what they are testing. It does look like the exercise machine was touched. The bullet casings? Is the note rumor true?

I hope this leads to something. The interview is well worth the watch. It touches on other subjects too.

This was a revolver, so no casings. I doubt the bullets retrieved from inside Liz were much use either.

The footage is not the best quality. I could see something like the killer spitting on her and use not being able to see that act in the footage.

Thank you LoneWander for the correction. You’re right. I know it is a revolver. There are no casings to test for serology. We can also scratch off spinal fluid and semen. This killer is spineless and #ucking ball-less.

I was in an excitement bubble when I typed casings. It is deflating.

I’ll close my post on a positive note and blow air back into that bubble. Pffttt there!

It is wonderful news to hear an FBI agent, a cold case detective and the Texas Rangers were on the case from the beginning.

The Rangers are awesome. They have a state-of-the-art forensics lab, and image enhancement capabilities. They lead Texas' border security program. They train our agencies. They even have hypnotists.

The Rangers oversee the state’s crime scene program with certified subject matter experts (I bet one of these certified experts told Ritchie after a forensics bullet analysis that the bullet was possibly a .380). Bang Bang! More good news! When the coward is caught; we will be ready for trial! We just need the gun for further testing or testimony that the shooter had access to/owned a .380.

Exciting that new evidence was mentioned. Who knows what it is but we have been told by Ritchie and the Family in all the recent interviews this is a very very active investigation.

Ritchie is exploring every option available to him utilizing all available resources, exploring new technology advancements, and new ways to obtain warrants for websites.

Communication between Ritchie and the Nuelles has ramped up to weekly calls, they now have a media person.

Telemundo will be covering the case with a segment that will reach a massive Spanish-speaking audience.

The timing is good in Houston. The prosecutors have concluded a huge Houston trial and convicted A.J. Armstrong likely freeing up much-needed resources. New Houston mayor (ran on a pro-LE campaign), new budgets.
Paula Zahn: Ritchie possibly .380
Sgt. Ritchie Interview
Weekly Calls/Media - M. Morford Murder in My Family
TX Rangers

Seargent Ritchie and Detective Wyatt have both stated that Liz would already be gone/on the road on a normal workday. This inked article says Liz would not normally be home at 6:50 in the morning. Not Normally Home at 6:50

She is only home at that time on that day due to her day off for the garage sale otherwise she leaves her house very early according the her neighbor across the street. That is in the supplemental report covered by Arrin Stoner. Arrin Stoner Incident Report

Liz usually parked in her garage and left from her garage; no walking to her car on a normal morning. Her parents describe how cautious she was leaving her garage. Here @ 10:20

Attached is a screenshot from a fellow member who lives in the area. They speculate that the killer's timing could have been planned around the school bus schedules. Killing her when she arrives back at 6:18 would not be smart since the bus picks up at 6:20.

Interestingly, the killer did not murder her when she left for Starbucks. I believe that is the normal time Liz would leave her house for work. They make a beeline for Liz the minute she is alone.

We have discussed the timing a lot but I have been meaning to re-post this to re-emphasize how precise the timing and possibly planning of this was.

1706423903603.png

Last edited:
How many people, after they saw the video of Elizabeth Barraza being shot, thought she was dead?

I know when I first saw the video I thought she was dead. It was only later after watching some youtube videos going through reports by LE that I realized she was still alive on January 25th. She did not die until the next day, January 26th. According to reports, the LifeFlight helicopter took off at 7:36am. Another video released showed Sergio's interaction with LE the morning of the murder and they never tell him his wife is dead or that they think she is dead. He asks when he can go see her.

I thought the neighbors would have seen the LifeFlight helicopter. On one of the news reports on the day of the shooting, January 25th, when asked about Elizabeth Barraza a neighbor said, "Like I lost a friend." But maybe the neighbor did not see the LifeFlight helicopter and thought the same thing as I did.
More than likely the helicopter was staged at a location nearby so it seems reasonable neighbors would not have seen it.

3) The house. It is bothering me really bad that the shooter took measures to make sure Liz was shot parallel to the house and not shot with the house in the background.
Do you mean taking measures not to shoot the house to damage it? They chipped the brick. Camera angle? I don't get it. Please explain.

More than likely the helicopter was staged at a location nearby so it seems reasonable neighbors would not have seen it.
Cute username. He or she needs a little badge! or maybe they are a little criminal like my Pekingese. :D

The helicopter was staged at one of the cul de sac streets at the entrance of the neighborhood. I forget the name.

This also reminds me she was transported to that area. It surprises me Sergio did not see all the medical personnel transporting her from the driveway when he was scrolling scrolling scrolling and rolling rolling rolling at breakneck speeds to get home.

Their camera picks up the entire end of the driveway, yet he is unsure if a crime happened at his house. Maybe I am wrong so I am just speculating but I am pretty sure I am right looking at online videos posted of the set-up and her returning from Starbucks.

edited :to add link to parents' interview where they talk about life flight staging
Link

Last edited:
Do you mean taking measures not to shoot the house to damage it? They chipped the brick. Camera angle? I don't get it. Please explain.
This.

I could be overthinking this really badly, but the shooter stays facing parallel to the house. I think its simply the path the shooter had to take to walk up to Liz.

I can't help but think the shooter did not want to shoot into Liz's house or the house across from Liz.

Is it significant? Possibly, but possibly not.

This.

I could be overthinking this really badly, but the shooter stays facing parallel to the house. I think its simply the path the shooter had to take to walk up to Liz.

I can't help but think the shooter did not want to shoot into Liz's house or the house across from Liz.

Is it significant? Possibly, but possibly not.
I don't know. I thought about it hard though. Maybe they wanted to look into her eyes? Maybe I need to look up parallel. Maybe I need to go to bed.

It just means equal distance between and across from. Right? How would they shoot the house across the street?

Oh ok I didn't see you bolded that part. Yes, that would mean they owned the house or didn't want the bullet to penetrate into the house to get Diesel. I won't comment on the low to medium caliber. Night Night

Last edited:
I don't know. I thought about it hard though. Maybe they wanted to look into her eyes? Maybe I need to look up parallel. Maybe I need to go to bed.

It just means equal distance between and across from. Right? How would they shoot the house across the street?
If they had positioned themselves facing the house across the street or facing Lizs house. They faced the long way though.

I also think they wanted to get up close to her to confront her with something, possibly on a phone or printed out. I have very specific theories about that.

If they had positioned themselves facing the house across the street or facing Lizs house. They faced the long way though.

I also think they wanted to get up close to her to confront her with something, possibly on a phone or printed out. I have very specific theories about that.
Oh ok, I added to my post above in edit too. Well, I would say they wanted to get in and out of there as quickly as possible and took the shots they had but we know they had an interaction and then drove back by.

You should just share your theories.

Luckily, we shed all kinds of things all time. Eyelashes, skin cells, sweat, spit, hair (how we factor in the possible wig is anyone's guess), pet owners have their pet hair on them etc. Now I do understand that the crime scene was outside - but it was not left to sit there for days but dealt with very quickly. It is possible they found something.
Attached is a screenshot from a fellow member who lives in the area. They speculate that the killer's timing could have been planned around the school bus schedules. Killing her when she arrives back at 6:18 would not be smart since the bus picks up at 6:20.
I have been long thinking about where was the car in respect to the school bus route (did they manage to evade it completely) and did they factor this in or not.
If they did factor in the school bus time table and they did turn into a school parking lot knowing that the cameras are not working then it almost feel like they need to have some connection to the school (parent, employee, close friend or relative of an employee).
Of course, it is entirely possible that they avoided the school bus passing Liz's house on pure luck (might even be on the dashcam view "concealing on another street") and just turned into the school parking lot out of panic (someone approaching who could name them) or sheer stupidity (I don't really have the feeling that the crime was so smart and well-executed).

Liz usually parked in her garage and left from her garage; no walking to her car on a normal morning. Her parents describe how cautious she was leaving her garage. Here @ 10:20
For me, learning that she habitually parked in the garage is a crucial point. It affects the way I view the facts.

IMO, for cases like this and Missy Bevers (I don't think they're connected) I've always reasoned that there are only so many ways for the average person to commit a pre-meditated murder of a person they don't live with. (I use "average person" to exclude both people with special skills like marksmanship and people with motivations like sexual assault). The average prospective murderer would have to use a gun at point blank range and approach the victim by breaking into the victim's house, ambushing them as they enter or leave their house, or accosting them in a public or semi-public area.

I think it's safe to infer from the murderer's behavior (2 am drive-by and waiting at the school for Sergio to leave) that the murderer knew the Barraza's usual morning routine--when they left for work and who drove which car. IMO this rules out a random crime.

Previously, I'd thought that the murderer did NOT know about the garage sale--they assumed it would be an ordinary day with Liz leaving slightly after Sergio. In that scenario, the murderer would simply wait for Sergio to leave and then assault Liz in her driveway as she got into her car, but the murderer had an unexpected stroke of luck that with the garage sale Liz was waiting in the driveway and was expecting to interact with strangers. (I think the 2 am drive-by was a one-off and I don't think that the murderer was yet surveilling the house when she went on her early Starbucks run.)

Knowing that she habitually parked in the garage changes things for me. It would be a lot harder to shoot someone who is pulling out of their garage in a car than someone who is walking to their car in the driveway: moving target, smaller target area, auto glass, etc. And the 2 am drive-by would have alerted the killer that she was parked in the garage. This makes me think that the killer did know about the garage sale.

I realize that criminals by definition aren't engaged in logical behavior, but since the 2 am surveillance shows at least some level of premeditation it seems like the killer would have considered the relative difficulty of shooting into a moving car vs. someone waiting in the driveway.

Knowing that she habitually parked in the garage changes things for me. It would be a lot harder to shoot someone who is pulling out of their garage in a car than someone who is walking to their car in the driveway: moving target, smaller target area, auto glass, etc. And the 2 am drive-by would have alerted the killer that she was parked in the garage. This makes me think that the killer did know about the garage sale.
I think this statement (parking in the garage) has never been accompanied with any kind of an official link. My family would also say stuff that I "always" do - while I might do these things on most days, it's rarely so black-and-white.

Why I find this statement fishy is that we have the doorbell footage of Liz going to Starbucks in the morning. And she goes to a car that is parked outside, not in the garage. And when she returns, she again parks outside, not in the garage.

Maybe she did park in the garage 95% of days. But we have video proof that she did not do that always. Moreover, the killer might be totally unaware of her parking habits 95% of the days if the killer drove by 2 AM and saw Liz's car parked outside.

MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member