TX - Elizabeth Barraza, 29, murdered setting up garage sale, Harris County, Jan 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This may have been mentioned here before but this just occurred to me. The couple did have video on their front door area but 'afaik' the shooting took place out of range. Just one more reason why the killer did this at the garage sale. And someone mentioned here that Liz's garage sale was done every year at the same time. So a lot of people could have known about it. The way Elizabeth seemed very startled but did not run away makes me think that she may have known the shooter.

Since this was probably a planned murder, the killer probably had fake or no license plates at the time of the shooting. It probably was someone else's car also. I truly hope the police solve this case and that Justice for Liz comes soon.

It probably was someone else's car also. I truly hope the police solve this case and that Justice for Liz comes soon.

sl222 - Very interesting possibility. Solid. Piecing what little facts we have, my theory is: the killer was a man. They were very familiar with the neighborhood and setup of the home security. Scoping out or being told where other cameras in the vicinity were, they took the precaution to wear a disguise knowing it would afford them enough anonymity from a distance. They took the time to say something to EB because EB knew them. This person was either hired or familiar and angry - MOO.

Out of range from the front door camera. Even the car? That's interesting. That was sheer luck or the person had to be familiar with the camera setup.

Hopefully LE has checked rentals and vehicles owned by acquaintances.

Weird side note - I am a costumer. I don't role play but I have made replica costumes for almost 20 years. Costuming can be highly competitive. I actually had a bad falling out with a friend who borrowed a costume I had made and then went silent - not wanting to return it. When she did, it was damaged. We never talked again. Costuming is a whole world to itself.

This has probably been mentioned here and maybe that's where I recall it from, but there were at least 2 school buses which picked up children close to the time of this crime. In the morning in the areas like this which are away from the inner city, there school buses all over the place starting very early in the morning. The shooter would most likely know the pickup times because otherwise a bus could have easily been on that street or nearby (where the shooter would have had to stop behind it). I wouldn't be surprised if this timing was very well planned, and planned far in advance.

The groups the couple were in have conventions in distant cities. This person could be from somewhere outside of Houston. I think it could definitely be a person from their costume / Star Wars circle because of the bizarre costume and the way this person behaved with making some kind of statement beforehand to Liz and showing her something.

I think possibly it's someone who is interested in / obsessed with the husband and who is deranged but smart enough to plan this and lay in wait even for a year. I don't think there was anything impulsive about this. Someone like this could have even disguised their height using lifts in the boots. It also had to be someone who was an experienced shooter. Anyway, that's one theory.

Ok so 3rd try... Something was posted somewhere on the internet with some additional details about this case from the husband but I apparently cannot find a way to post it here without violating this sites terms so feel free to google it.

(I'm not being upset, I'm just trying to get info out that the husband asked for it to be shared, but my previous attempts to get this info out here have been removed, so I don't know how else to mention it).

This may have been mentioned here before but this just occurred to me. The couple did have video on their front door area but 'afaik' the shooting took place out of range. Just one more reason why the killer did this at the garage sale. And someone mentioned here that Liz's garage sale was done every year at the same time. So a lot of people could have known about it. The way Elizabeth seemed very startled but did not run away makes me think that she may have known the shooter.

Since this was probably a planned murder, the killer probably had fake or no license plates at the time of the shooting. It probably was someone else's car also. I truly hope the police solve this case and that Justice for Liz comes soon.
bbm
Hmmm -- same time every year -- I missed that detail. It does put a bit of another angle out there. And those of us who have had, or gone to, yard sales may have encountered "weird people" (very subjective and not nice to say, let me apologize for it) at these places. It probably wouldn't have worried or frightened her too much to see a fellow gamer or to see someone in unusual clothing.

And I've thought about obstructing the view of the license plates or using stolen plates or a stolen car. If so, it would call for some prior thought and planning. Just baffling.

I'm hoping LE has been able to tighten a circle of "possibles," but the field of possibles out there as I see it is very broad.
And I can't hardly believe it's already been 6 months since it happened.

Ok so 3rd try... Something was posted somewhere on the internet with some additional details about this case from the husband but I apparently cannot find a way to post it here without violating this sites terms so feel free to google it.

(I'm not being upset, I'm just trying to get info out that the husband asked for it to be shared, but my previous attempts to get this info out here have been removed, so I don't know how else to mention it).
If he wants it shared then he should come here and create a verified account.

I just found out about this murder and in my opinion it is a woman. I also think this is relate to the cosplay community but not 100% sure. Also she is shown something on a phone and imo could be a picture or maybe a comment that was made online. I would assume LE search all her phone and social media activity. This looks so senseless, calculated and cold not a random crime. I hope they find whoever did this soon. RIP

That’s awesome news! Now I wonder what the warrant is for, who, and when it will be served? Are warrants public info in Houston?

I am wondering if it is telling that her father is the one in the story, not her husband?

From the article:

Detectives say they are waiting on results of a warrant that they hope will break the case.

Barraza's father stayed in close contact with the detective on the case, and says he's confident the case will soon be solved.

"One of the messages that he wanted us to put out there is that he is still very actively investigating this case and right now he's waiting the results of a warrant that he thinks could possibly break the case," Barraza's father Bob Nuelle said.

That’s awesome news! Now I wonder what the warrant is for, who, and when it will be served? Are warrants public info in Houston?

I am wondering if it is telling that her father is the one in the story, not her husband?

From the article:

Detectives say they are waiting on results of a warrant that they hope will break the case.

Barraza's father stayed in close contact with the detective on the case, and says he's confident the case will soon be solved.

"One of the messages that he wanted us to put out there is that he is still very actively investigating this case and right now he's waiting the results of a warrant that he thinks could possibly break the case," Barraza's father Bob Nuelle said.
bold/italic me:

Edit: I think it’s lovely that her dad is so involved (and embraced by her friends) but I do wish they had interviewed her husband. Surely he is wanting this solved too, right?

Edit- because I sounded harsh/judging.

Last edited:
bold/italic me:

I find that intriguing. I mean, I think it’s lovely that her dad is so involved (and embraced by her friends) but I do wonder, where is spouse in this? Surely he is wanting this solved too, right?
Yes, I am sure he is. I am not reading into anything about the husband. IMO he's not involved.
Fingers crossed this family gets some answers soon.

I used to work with her and she was sweet and never met a stranger. It’s hard for me imagine anyone having issue with her. I’m curious if her husbands been cleared yet (I never met him). For what I understand, police asked for tips on the day of the crime but have not since, so the speculation locally is they know who the perp is by now.
I'm so sorry for your loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member