GUILTY TX - Ethan Couch 'Affluenza Teen' DUI driver who killed four gets probation, 2013 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
There are some really interesting comments following the article on the "Judge's thinking." My question is, why wasn't he tried as an adult to begin with? How did his attorneys keep this in juvenile court? He killed 4 people after stealing alcohol. In lots of jurisdictions, he would have been tried as an adult, I think.

Salem

Good ol boy network sound familiar?

There are some really interesting comments following the article on the "Judge's thinking." My question is, why wasn't he tried as an adult to begin with? How did his attorneys keep this in juvenile court? He killed 4 people after stealing alcohol. In lots of jurisdictions, he would have been tried as an adult, I think.

Salem

Ding ding ding ding. This times a billion.

That is what 3 of the people I told about this story said right away.

Salem

I presume a judge has to decide if he can be tried as an adult. There is an article posted on this thread how this same judge decided some other teenager couldn't be tried as an adult because he wasn't mature enough.
I presume the same happened here.

Unfortunately she was following the law for juveniles.

Why was he charged as a juvenile?

My understanding is that this judge is elected. I thought I read somewhere that there was a [modsnip] (I don't want to start any rumors :eek:. Let me see if I can find a link. I have to grab my sandwich first - LOL!

Salem

Well this article says she retires in Dec. 2014: http://dallasmorningviewsblog.dalla...ouch-verdict-still-runs-hot-but-at-whom.html/

"Boyd, ironically, will never face voters again after announcing her retirement. Her term ends in December 2014. You may wonder if a re-election campaign on the heels of this decision might have affected her position, but you should know that Tarrant County prosecutors already worried about her."

Here, the Texas Nationalists are calling for her to step down: http://texnat.org/index.php/news/tnm-news/2015-texas-nationalists-call-on-judge-to-step-down

And this is just on the Judge's thinking, which is interesting: http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way...r-teen-who-killed-4-heres-the-judges-thinking

You Modsnipped yourself?

Salem

He DEFINITELY should have been tried as an adult.

Good ol boy network sound familiar?

What she said.

He was able to pay larger amounts of restitution on the worthless checks, so who knows why he wrote them to begin with.

Maybe the bad check he wrote was his personal account and he had to use money from a business account to cover the bad check. Just a guess.

Texas tries again to put drunken teen behind bars

http://news.msn.com/crime-justice/texas-tries-again-to-put-drunken-teen-behind-bars

......Tarrant County District Attorney Joe Shannon has asked a juvenile judge to put 16-year-old Ethan Couch behind bars on two cases of intoxication assault that he says are still pending before the court, The Fort Worth Star-Telegram reported Tuesday.

"During his recent trial, the 16-year-old admitted his guilt in four cases of intoxication manslaughter and two cases of intoxication assault," Shannon said in an email to the newspaper. "There has been no verdict formally entered in the two intoxication assault cases. Every case deserves a verdict."......

Under Texas juvenile law, the maximum allowable sentence in Couch's intoxication assault case would be three years in a Texas Juvenile Justice Department facility; he would be released no later than his 19th birthday.

I realize this has been posted before. Just want to say I hope the judge will at least agree on this matter even if they are lesser charges. Nothing that was mentioned in the article says she can't and IMO he needs to be confined to realize the seriousness of what he has done.

I doubt this judge will sentence [modsnip] to anything other than making his bed in hte morning. This is so incredibly wrong.

I doubt this judge will sentence [modsnip] to anything other than making his bed in hte morning. This is so incredibly wrong.

She would probably think that him making his bed would be cruel and unusual punishment.
After all he has affluenza.

I think she should have him chop down a tree with an axe and literally make his own bed.

Salem

Something like that would have him tried as an adult.

Inserting this to add to the discussion:

just saying a 17 year old kid of mine would not be out cruising in his Vette the month before he had to go to court for killing a pedestrian this year! A 17 year old boy & a Corvette is not a good combination anyway.

Pensacola FL today. 17-year-old William Goodman was shot & killed by an officer today after running from police & running over another officer with his car.
Police say they were trying to stop the teen after numerous reports that he was driving recklessly and at excessive speeds. Police say Goodman repeatedly rammed police vehicles after officers boxed in his 2009 Chevrolet Corvette and began trying to arrest him.

http://www.wctv.tv/home/headlines/Panhandle-Police-Shoot-And-Kill-Teen-Driver-237185901.html

I'm sure there are other reports, but I am late to a Christmas party.

Inserting this to add to the discussion:

just saying a 17 year old kid of mine would not be out cruising in his Vette the month before he had to go to court for killing a pedestrian this year! A 17 year old boy & a Corvette is not a good combination anyway.

Pensacola FL today. 17-year-old William Goodman was shot & killed by an officer today after running from police & running over another officer with his car.
Police say they were trying to stop the teen after numerous reports that he was driving recklessly and at excessive speeds. Police say Goodman repeatedly rammed police vehicles after officers boxed in his 2009 Chevrolet Corvette and began trying to arrest him.

http://www.wctv.tv/home/headlines/Panhandle-Police-Shoot-And-Kill-Teen-Driver-237185901.html

I'm sure there are other reports, but I am late to a Christmas party.

I hate to say this, but I will. I'm glad he was killed. He saved the taxpayers a lot of money and he obviously didn't learn anything from his first vehicular manslaughter. He just didn't give a :censored: about anyone else. So forgive me for not shedding tears for him. 'Nuff said.

"Goodman was seen by police several times driving the 2009 sports car recklessly at a high rate of speed. When police initiated a chase, they say Goodman fled at speeds nearing 100 miles an hour."

This incident occurred before dawn. Had he been out all night? Mentally or emotionally disturbed? Alcohol? Drugs? Rage? Comments are asking if the note to his parents indicates suicide by cop. There seems so many reasons this boy should not have been out driving around in a 3000+ pound weapon. How many innocent civilians could have been harmed? No matter his age, the cops had to stop him. To what degree should his parents be held responsible? Did Goodman also have "affluenza"? This is worse than the old Twinkie Defense.

http://www.fox10tv.com/news/local/pensacola/fatal-pursuit-tied-to-vehicular-homicide

Goodman had been arrested in March after hitting Michael Labelle , and his daughter walking in Gulf Breeze. Mr Labelle, 66,was killed & Michelle Goodman, 40, was seriously injured. Goodman was speeding & passing illegally in a residential neighborhood.

http://www.srpressgazette.com/news/...ot-killed-after-running-over-officer-1.253883

Couch, who's currently in state custody, is expected to receive alcohol and drug rehab, and could face prison time if he runs away from the facility or violates any other terms of his probation, Alpert said.

There is no minimum amount of time Couch must spend in the facility before his release, prosecutor Riley Shaw said.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/02/0...-affluenza-case-outraged-at-no-jail-sentence/

bbm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member