GUILTY TX - Ethan Couch 'Affluenza Teen' DUI driver who killed four gets probation, 2013 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
‘I got deported from Mexico!’ Country expels hundreds of U.S. citizens every year

Not only can U.S. citizens get deported from Mexico, they do.

Deported Americans accounted for more than 2,000 cases in 2015, an average of five cases per day or more. In 2014, 1,243 Americans were deported from Mexico, according to figures provided by the Mexican migration policy unit.

As of October of this year, 2,079 American citizens had been deported — the majority of them through Baja California, with other border states like Tamaulipas and Sonora also seeing frequent cases.

Americans account for about 10 percent of undocumented people who Mexico deports – the total number is 127,149.

‘I got deported from Mexico!’ Country expels hundreds of U.S. citizens every year

They were not in Mexico illegally. They would have the rights any visitor would have. The only time Mexican authorities get uneasy about extradition is when the defendants will face the death penalty if extradited.

One of the articles said that they would be deported, because Mexican authorities could not verify that they were in Mexico legally. Anyway when you are in a country on a visitor visa, you are a guest in that country. As a guest, they can tell you to leave any time they want.

The public affairs department of the prosecutors' office in Mexico's Jalisco state confirmed that the mother and son were detained in Puerto Vallarta around 6.00pm Monday.
The prosecutor’s office said the pair were being held by Mexico’s immigration authorities because they could not prove their legal status in the country.

'Affluenza' teen arrested after two weeks on the run: Killer and his mother are caught in Mexico beach resort - and will now be turned over to U.S. Marshals

The two were captured at the crossing of two streets near the popular Malecon, or boardwalk, in Puerto Vallarta.
lol

Police handed the pair over to Mexican immigration authorities for being in the country without the proper permission so they could be returned to the United States, the Jalisco attorney general's office said.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-texas-affluenza-idUSKBN0UC07420151229

I read earlier a tweet (can't find it now) that they would be put on a plane later today to the US. Deportation doesn't take long at all, at least being deported to Mexico doesn't. Not sure about the reverse.

OK I I understand from presser...EC will be held in TX until the hearing to move his case from juvi to adult court. If moved to adult court he will serve 160 days in jail and then continue his probation as sentenced in juvi but with adult probation monitoring and greater consequences if he breaks probation than juvi. Did I hear this correctly? Help! LOL!

I got the impression as of his 19th birthday 4/11? he could be sentenced to the remainder of his 10 yr. probation- which is 8 yrs. in big boys prison. It will be a different judge. I think his next hearing is in Jan. They IMO are going to play hard ball with him this time. As it should have been 2 yrs ago.:moo: Little Moron

One of the articles said that they would be deported, because Mexican authorities could not verify that they were in Mexico legally. Anyway when you are in a country on a visitor visa, you are a guest in that country. As a guest, they can tell you to leave any time they want.

I know my country's laws pretty well. The article used for deportation is #33 in the Mexican constitution, and you do not need to be in the country illegally to be deported. You simply need to be 'undesirable'. Plus, US citizens do not need visas to visit Mexico as tourists, so indeed proving illegal stay is a witch. In any case, they will be sent back to Tarrant county so the fun can begin. :)

This article gives a pretty good summary of what he is facing.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/12/29/us/affluenza-teen-ethan-couch-detained-in-mexico/

The district attorney explained the dilemma she faces at a news conference Tuesday:

* Ethan Couch was sentenced as a juvenile and violated his probation as ordered by juvenile court system.

* Under Texas law, Couch, now 18, would be punished for his violation in the juvenile system.

* The maximum sentence that a juvenile judge can dish out is imprisonment in a juvenile facility until Couch turns 19, which is April 11, 2016.

* The DA wants to move Couch to adult court. But since the violation happened in the juvenile system, Couch effectively would start with a clean slate in the adult probation system. That is, the adult court judge could not punish Couch for violations he committed as a juvenile.

* At the time a judge reassesses Couch's probation in the adult system, he has the power to put Couch in adult jail for a maximum of 120 days.

So he still gets by with a slap on the wrist? The only reassurance I have is that fact that he will likely screw up his big boy probation too. But wow, if he can only be sentenced until April, I imagine the Mexico vacation was worth it.

And the mother better get jail time. Fines do not bother these people.

ETA: further read that he can get 120 in adult jail, but really, if this case didn't revolve around the deaths of 4 people, it would be laughable.

As of March 1, 2010, all U.S. citizens – including children -- must present a valid passport, book or card, for travel beyond the “border zone” into the interior of Mexico. Entry by any means, for example by plane or car, is included in this requirement. The “border zone” is generally defined as an area between 20 to 30 kilometers of the border with the U.S., depending on the location. Stays of less than 72 hours within the border zone do not require a visa or tourist card.

That is probably why they will be deported. For not getting a tourist card to travel beyond the border zone, and for staying longer then 72 hours.

That article I posted still isn't very clear. At the bottom it states:

At the time of Couch's conviction, prosecutors said he could be incarcerated for up to 10 years for violating his probation terms.

Was that just an empty threat?

I fully expect that 6 months from now we'll be raging about this, still, and wondering how on earth he isn't in jail. Who knows how much money is trading hands to make certain things happen, also.

Edit: Interesting info about the original judge in his case:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean_Hudson_Boyd

The new Ethan Couch -- Mexican sun bleached, er, I mean blacked hair. Oh, what an alert and sober look he has. He's already improving, wouldn't ya say?? :rolleyes:

JMHO

RT @JoshuaHoyos: Jalisco State Prosecutor's office has released an image of #EthanCouch - note his hair is now black
CXXysvCU0AA28YG.jpg

Joshua Hoyos

@JoshuaHoyos

@ABC News Assignment Editor | Runner. RT ≠ endors, views are mine & not of ABC News. Joshua.Hoyos@abc.com
Gross.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

I just am thinking more and more on this today as I'm having a lazy sick day as me an my baby are both sick and watching Beverly Hills chihuahua for the 3rd time today(so WS is a welcome distraction) and I just do not understand as a parent how you can condone and help support this behavior. One of the most important things that I want to teach my child is that there are consequences to behaviors and you must face them, be them good or bad. I wouldn't want my child to get away with a crime. I would want them to be a good enough person to understand that paying for an action, especially one as extreme as this, is the only way to start stepping on a path towards what is right.

I know my country's laws pretty well. The article used for deportation is #33 in the Mexican constitution, and you do not need to be in the country illegally to be deported. You simply need to be 'undesirable'. Plus, US citizens do not need visas to visit Mexico as tourists, so indeed proving illegal stay is a witch. In any case, they will be sent back to Tarrant county so the fun can begin. :)

The Mexican Government says US citizens need a tourist card to travel more then 30 kilometers into Mexico. I suspect they didn’t have tourist cards. Thats why they could not prove that they were in the country legally.

U.S. citizens traveling as tourists beyond the border zone or entering Mexico by air must pay a fee to obtain a tourist card, also known as an FM-T, available from Mexican border crossing points, Mexican tourism offices, airports within the border zone and most airlines serving Mexico.

Entry Requirements for Mexico

Per the video Mexico will be deporting him, not an extradition. Easier to deport & faster. hmmm The dye job actually makes him look less...I'm at a loss for words here as there are too many to describe what I mean.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/affluenza-teen-ethan-couch-mother-caught-in-mexico/

From what I read in the article above (http://www.tdcaa.com/journal/update-pursuit-fugitives-who-flee-mexico) on extradition vs. deportation from Mexico, there are fewer strings attached to deportation: US authorities can basically make/add on any charges they want once the perps are back here. In this kind of case, as far as I interpret it, deportation is like telling the perps, "Pfft! Whatever! Bye Bye! You are bad news! We don't give a rip what they charge you with, get a clue!"

Ricardo Ariel Vera, the representative of Mexico's immigration institute in the western state of Jalisco, said the mother and son were being held at immigration offices in the state capital, Guadalajara, and would be returned to the United States aboard a commercial flight to Houston sometime Tuesday.

http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/n...t-Warrant-to-be-issued-for-mom-of-6725652.php

Couch's attorneys, Scott Brown and Reagan Wynn, said in a statement they won't comment on the case until they speak with their client, which likely won't happen before Couch reaches the U.S.

http://www.kristv.com/story/30845080/affluenza-teen-caught-with-his-mom-in-mexico

DA Wilson says Tonya Couch faces two to 10 years in prison.

http://www.wtsp.com/story/news/crim...ng-away-party-before-fleeing-mexico/78019448/

everyone knows that even if he is sent to jail for 120 days and gets probation, he WILL break it again.

jmo

God forbid, he ends up killing someone else before he finally gets years in prison.

jmo:gaah:

[video=twitter;681823175861092352]https://twitter.com/foxandfriends/status/681823175861092352[/video]

Looks like mom has her hair dyed too in this video.

The hilarious thing about that video is that the on-screen "play" button looks like a pacifier on twerp (=twit perp)! That about describes the situation....

They both look strung out. Disgusting.

In a normal setting, I might feel bad for this kid. Horrible parents. Truly horrible parents. However, he killed FOUR people and has never shown remorse at all. I would have had HOPE for him had he felt anything for the lives he took that night. Or the countless lives he changed forever (families of the deceased and those injured). He never cared at all.

I don't believe this kid is guilty of mere bad behavior or that he's merely a spoiled brat or that he's simply suffered from bad parenting: I think he (and his parents?) have criminal ways of engaging with the world, a personality disorder....Not just substance abuse, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper