GUILTY TX - Ethan Couch 'Affluenza Teen' DUI driver who killed four gets probation, 2013 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
She's baaaaack!

I guess she couldn't get away with not having her picture taken this time. :p

PHOTO: Authorities arrest "affluenza" teen's mom Tonya Couch after she arrived at Los Angeles airport from Mexico: http://apne.ws/1PyXtpz
https://twitter.com/AP

attachment.php

attachment.php

First images of Tonya Couch arriving at LAX (via @CNNNewsource) More vid coming on @CBSDFW #EthanCouch
https://twitter.com/kyleweeks

Wow, she looks like Carrot Top in that first picture.

OT, sorry, but I feel I have to defend my beliefs today for feeling anger towards a stupid choice and an impotent justice system. Years ago and I'll try not to disclose too much, I was a young nurse and there was a horrific crash coming into the ER. A whole family including grandparents were killed by a 16 year old drunk driver. We worked on the baby and one other family member for probably far too long to no avail. The ER staff, every one of us, was in tears and devastated. The 16 year old drunkenly singing in the elevator "I killed the whole family" remains seared into my brain. A whole family was snuffed out. We couldn't help even one. Seeing one of the grandparent's and the baby awaiting the morgue pickup was something I have never gotten over. I did not have to see the condition of the others in the vehicle. It is beyond devastating and sad to witness such a thing and to know it did not have to happen. We probably should have had counseling but in those days we were expected to be empathetic but detached, as though we are machines. Yes, the teen was very hung over and sullen the next day. I never knew his fate. I didn't want to know. I don't even remember his name. I'm sure it's blocked. But no matter what happened, nothing can ever give a family with babies their lives back or erase what we saw or the pain and guilt we felt at not being able to resuscitate that little baby. And I cannot feel sorry for someone who had a chance to do things right and made the wrong choice AGAIN!
Sometimes if people are truly repentant and feel they have not been justly punished, they will self destruct until they do something that forces consequences. When this phenomenon takes place, it has not been a service to anyone to have let them off lightly. Sorry for the rant. Done.

BBM. I have thought about this. How different it would be if he was a sober man today and even saying publicly ' thank you for the 2nd chance, i almost threw my life away. i want to talk to other teens to help them avoid what i did .'' And how about a sincere APOLOGY to your victims and the familes? How about even acknowledging how many lives were torn apart by your actions? We do occasionally see these people who tour the country and speak at high schools and kid's groups about life choices and turning it around and living for something other than partying. He could BE that poster boy. He could have done something positive with this. And yes there are tons and tons of ' kids' in prison who made one mistake and threw their lives away and are much , much more deserving of the second chance than Ethan Couch. And probably this episode will make it harder for first time offenders to get probation in the future. Other judges are not going to want this happening on their watch.

What you're describing happens in recovery. Someone still active in their addiction sees no fault in themselves, everything is everyone elses fault, the addict is the victim..... Clearly, pride and money are their biggest obstacles to recovery at this point, and Ethans parents created that by example. I still don't understand why Family Services didn't recognize Ethan as an at risk child. The signs were all there.

Now the world gets to see the snowball effect of avoidance and denial. I just hope no one else is killed during the process.

I would imagine Mexican LE would not just let the gun "slide". Wonder to whom it was registered, if, in fact it WAS registered.

ETA: http://tijuana.usconsulate.gov/mobile//tijuana/warning.html

If you are caught with firearms or ammunition in Mexico...

You will go to jail and your vehicle will be seized;
You will be separated from your family, friends, and your job, and likely suffer substantial financial hardship;
You will pay court costs and other fees ranging into the tens of thousands of dollars defending yourself;
You may get up to a 30-year sentence in a Mexican prison if found guilty.

This may be one of those cases of "Be careful what you ask for because you may get your wish". Momster apparently hired a Mexican attorney to keep her spoiled son out of Texas juvenile lockup because it would be too rough for him. As is, he is still in Mexico but he may have wound up in a facility far worse than anything he would have experienced in Texas. I hope she is aware of his current scary situation.

I don't think it has anything to do with juvie being too rough for him, I think any punishment for him is off limit for her precious moron baby boy. Now she gets special treatment so no one can give her a well deserved verbal smackdown. Well, she has no idea what is happening to precious baby boy now. #YOURFAULTMOMMY

The thing about this case is, the media has everyone right where they want them. Clicking on this story and sharing it. This is a media gold mine, and for the most part they have stayed far afield of reporting anything that may soften the hatred the public has for him. From what I've read in in-depth stories posted early on, Ethan has gone through a serious depression after the accident and became a recluse. The way one person ( a drugged out 16 year old) experiences remorse and regrets might be different from the way someone much more socially polished and mature expresses it, which might be through writing heartfelt letters to the families of the victims, or straightening their act out and vowing to have a positive impact on the world.

But that doesn't mean Ethan wasn't heartsick about what happened. But you'll never read that in major media stories now, because that might make the paying (clicking) audience sort of shuffle their feet and walk off in dismay at the sadness of the case.

Do you believe Ethan appears heartsick in the beer pong video? Do you think a heartsick remorseful person would continue to engage in and encourage behavior which led to his own responsibility for taking four lives and destroying others?

Please help me understand your definition of heartsick, because I just don't see it in Ethans behavior following the drunk driving accident which started this snowball rolling.

This may be one of those cases of "Be careful what you ask for because you may get your wish". Momster apparently hired a Mexican attorney to keep her spoiled son out of Texas juvenile lockup because it would be too rough for him. As is, he is still in Mexico but he may have wound up in a facility far worse than anything he would have experienced in Texas. I hope she is aware of his current scary situation.

Yeah, I hope she is aware. I hope she stews in Seg to a breakdown point where maybe, just maybe, she can see she has no concept of her son's best interests.

The up-side in some regard is that the man-child is left with no contact with his parents other than through his attorneys in Mexico.

Literally left alone to deal with life on its terms.

Yes, he still has their resources that will eventually get him out of his current abode.

I'll bet that was of little comfort to him through the night.

BBM. I have thought about this. How different it would be if he was a sober man today and even saying publicly ' thank you for the 2nd chance, i almost threw my life away. i want to talk to other teens to help them avoid what i did .'' And how about a sincere APOLOGY to your victims and the familes? How about even acknowledging how many lives were torn apart by your actions? We do occasionally see these people who tour the country and speak at high schools and kid's groups about life choices and turning it around and living for something other than partying. He could BE that poster boy. He could have done something positive with this. And yes there are tons and tons of ' kids' in prison who made one mistake and threw their lives away and are much , much more deserving of the second chance than Ethan Couch. And probably this episode will make it harder for first time offenders to get probation in the future. Other judges are not going to want this happening on their watch.

I see and hear so many recovering addicts and alcoholics doing exactly this every day. Many of my most beloved friends did pretty serious sh.... while active in their addiction; and today they work in teh recovery field, they volunteer for MADD, they talk at prisons, high schools.... this man-child is completely in his addiction. NOTHING matters but his own wants. NOTHING.

I see and hear so many recovering addicts and alcoholics doing exactly this every day. Many of my most beloved friends did pretty serious sh.... while active in their addiction; and today they work in teh recovery field, they volunteer for MADD, they talk at prisons, high schools.... this man-child is completely in his addiction. NOTHING matters but his own wants. NOTHING.

Exactly. This is the difference between people who have remorse and people who don't!

In my opinion, people without remorse simply need harsher punishments. If they themselves won't learn from their actions, then they need an external learning experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, I hope she is aware. I hope she stews in Seg to a breakdown point where maybe, just maybe, she can see she has no concept of her son's best interests.

The up-side in some regard is that the man-child is left with no contact with his parents other than through his attorneys in Mexico.

Literally left alone to deal with life on its terms.

Yes, he still has their resources that will eventually get him out of his current abode.

I'll bet that was of little comfort to him through the night.

The article said the detention facility allowed unlimited telephone calls so I bet he is burning up the phone lines trying to get his dad or half siblings to come rescue him.

Glad someone asked the DA's office about these issues:

[Ethan] Couch has a transfer hearing set for January 19. The Tarrant County District Attorney's Office says it is currently trying to find out if the hearing can go forward without Couch — spokeswoman Samantha Jordan says hearings in absentia are common in adult court, but require special review in juvenile court. Either way, Jordan says, he can't age out of the system while facing a pending transfer motion, so, at worst, the hearing can take place whenever Couch is returned to Texas.

http://www.dallasobserver.com/news/...ed-states-while-ethan-stays-in-mexico-7899450

The article said the detention facility allowed unlimited telephone calls so I bet he is burning up the phone lines trying to get his dad or half siblings to come rescue him.

Probably so, then.

Daddy Dearest has an open charge for False Identification as a Peace Officer and likely has bond travel restrictions himself. Hence, he would have to have permission from his criminal court District Judge to head south. Without permission, he would be off-bond and back to jail with a higher bond himself.

The smartest thing they could do for Ethan at this point is to convince him to have his attorneys in Mexico withdraw the writ asap and accept deportation.

I suspect Ethan is not the only member of this "profoundly dysfunctional" family who could benefit society and themselves by putting the bottles down.

That's quite a strong allegation there - that the judge in Ethan's trial was "bought off". Do you have any basis for that allegation?

Have you looked at that judge’s record on the bench? She had a 20 year history of 100% tough sentences. Then one day she got a rich white kid from a criminal family, with a stupid “affluenza” defense, and suddenly she got all soft hearted and decided to let him go scot-free on four counts of manslaughter, then she retired.

You don’t think that is highly suspicious? Something happened after 20 years to make it worth that judges time, to suddenly ruin her career. I can only think of two explanations. 1. A sudden mental illness. 2. Corruption. I haven’t seen any evidence that she has any mental problems.

Also. Was he drinking at the strip club. Would that affect his probation as he was in.mexico

If you are caught with firearms or ammunition in Mexico...

You will go to jail and your vehicle will be seized;
You will be separated from your family, friends, and your job, and likely suffer substantial financial hardship;
You will pay court costs and other fees ranging into the tens of thousands of dollars defending yourself;
You may get up to a 30-year sentence in a Mexican prison if found guilty.

I want to know several things.

1. What happened to the truck?
2. What happened to the gun?
3. When they were caught, now much money was Momster carrying & where is that money now?
4. Can either of these 2 be extradited back to Mexico when Texas is finished with them?

Dee Anderson
‏@SheriffAnderson
Hearing Tonya Couch may waive extradition from California. Not confirmed but could speed up her return to Tarrant County if true.#EthanCouch

https://twitter.com/SheriffAnderson

I would be very surprised if she doesn’t do that. Especially since she just waived extradition from Mexico. She will be back in Texas and bonded out in a few days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ColeTyler