GUILTY TX - Ethan Couch 'Affluenza Teen' DUI driver who killed four gets probation, 2013 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think one glance at his current mugshot will tell you he is absolutely miserable. Beyond miserable.

I hope he is miserable. He should be!! He has destroyed so many lives!! Why should he NOT be miserable?????

Well, I personally don't ever hope anyone is miserable their whole lives for a very stupid, very youthful accident. But in your earlier post you said your hope is that he could straighten out his life, and no, that's not really possible. When you kill several people and maim an acquaintance, it's unlikely you can ever "straighten out your life".

What looks like joyful hilarity to some can actually be screaming pain. He dropped out of high school after the accident, and didn't socialize with friends and basically did nothing. He was filmed at a drunken party (not good, but not necessarily an indication that he's blithely going on with life) and now he looks like a 30 year old shipwreck victim.

The cop who first found him drunk with the naked 14 year old girl in his truck tried to set him straight, tried to give him a warning. He was too youthful to heed it, and look at where he is now.

I'm absolutely certain he'd give a LOT to take back what he's done. I think if he could take back that night he'd give almost anything.

I have hopes for him that are similar to his roadside victims families - that he can reclaim something of his life, and find a purpose in warning others not to make the same horrible, horrible mistake.

I hope he is miserable. He should be!! He has destroyed so many lives!! Why should he NOT be miserable?????

His mugshot looks terrified , not so much miserable imho. He's got no one to hold his hand and ' fix this' now. He knows the gig is up and he's scared of what comes next.
He could have just stayed clean and sober and gotten some help for his obvious addiction and he would not be there today. Maybe, finally , he will be clear headed enough for a few days to comprehend what he's done.

Well, I personally don't ever hope anyone is miserable their whole lives for a very stupid, very youthful accident. But in your earlier post you said your hope is that he could straighten out his life, and no, that's not really possible. When you kill several people and maim an acquaintance, it's unlikely you can ever "straighten out your life".

What looks like joyful hilarity to some can actually be screaming pain. He dropped out of high school after the accident, and didn't socialize with friends and basically did nothing. He was filmed at a drunken party (not good, but not necessarily an indication that he's blithely going on with life) and now he looks like a 30 year old shipwreck victim.

The cop who first found him drunk with the naked 14 year old girl in his truck tried to set him straight, tried to give him a warning. He was too youthful to heed it, and look at where he is now.

I'm absolutely certain he'd give a LOT to take back what he's done. I think if he could take back that night he'd give almost anything.

I have hopes for him that are similar to his roadside victims families - that he can reclaim something of his life, and find a purpose in warning others not to make the same horrible, horrible mistake.

Each of us is entitled to their own opinion. I can HOPE he straightens out his life but I wouldn't be willing to bet on it.

His mugshot looks terrified , not so much miserable imho. He's got no one to hold his hand and ' fix this' now. He knows the gig is up and he's scared of what comes next.
He could have just stayed clean and sober and gotten some help for his obvious addiction and he would not be there today. Maybe, finally , he will be clear headed enough for a few days to comprehend what he's done.

Yes, maybe. I actually thought he'd come out of the prison situation looking healthier. I was completely surprised by what that mugshot looks like, and I have empathy for anyone who accidentally harms people, however stupid and youthful their decisions were.

Here's what he did. I think we all agree on, and understand the details, but I just feel the need to write them out for my own benefit for clarity.

He drank and partied a lot, and one night he and friends stole some beer from walmart. They all got drunk and he also took some kind of Rx pain medication (valium?) in a home that was provided for him to live alone when he was 16. At 16, he lived alone because his mother had left him there alone with a lot of money and no loving support or direction or discipline. His parents had the money to afford a whole extra house, miles away from where they lived, and that's what they did, and had Ethan live there alone.

At some point a girl in the house who was there drinking as all of them were, started her period and needed hygiene products. Being stupid, and drunk and youthful and having been given no guidance whatsoever, all the kids at the party loaded up into his truck and they attempted to drive to the nearest convenience store for this girl, with some of the kids riding in the bed of the truck, some in the cab.

And then, the unthinkable happened. There was a group of four people on the side of the road dealing with car trouble. Some were involved in the car trouble, some were good Samaritans who were there to help out. And in the blink of an eye, this drunk teen who was taking his friend to the store for tampons ran into them. In his extremely misguided attempt at chivalry, to take care of this girl, who most boys his age would just shrug and say figure it out for yourself, girl (and I do know how odd that sounds) this tragedy occurred.

That's what he did. At 16. I don't think he's evil, at all. I think he was immature, had no feedback for his behavior, and a horrible, horrible accident happened.

It's interesting that the families of the victims seem to view him with less harshness than strangers.

I do have some empathy for him. I think he didn't stand much of a chance with the parents he had. But if having a crappy upbringing excused behaviors, we wouldn't have much need for prisons. He is a ' kid' still in a lot of ways and because of his being an alcholic for so many of his years, he's probably very , very immature. Couple that with never needing or having to make responsible choices, he's literally probably functioning as a 10 or 12 yr old maturity wise. I think we can empathize with the child who had little chance in the matter while still holding the adult he is today accountable for his behaviors. He was old enough to say ' No MOM, I don't want to flee to Mexico......or No FRIEND , I don't want to play beer pong " The mistakes of the 16 yr old are not his only mistakes to date. Prior to the video surfacing, I naively assumed that EC was somewhere minding his own business, with his head down, staying sober, going to AA meetings and being regretful and trying to find a way to make a life for himself. He had that choice.

Oh man, he looks like he could hang out @ the Wildlife Refuge in Oregon with the Y'all Qaeda crowd :hilarious:

He does have the look of a crazed killer doesn't he. I guess he doesn't play nicely with other children..

I do have some empathy for him. I think he didn't stand much of a chance with the parents he had. But if having a crappy upbringing excused behaviors, we wouldn't have much need for prisons. He is a ' kid' still in a lot of ways and because of his being an alcholic for so many of his years, he's probably very , very immature. Couple that with never needing or having to make responsible choices, he's literally probably functioning as a 10 or 12 yr old maturity wise. I think we can empathize with the child who had little chance in the matter while still holding the adult he is today accountable for his behaviors. He was old enough to say ' No MOM, I don't want to flee to Mexico......or No FRIEND , I don't want to play beer pong " The mistakes of the 16 yr old are not his only mistakes to date. Prior to the video surfacing, I naively assumed that EC was somewhere minding his own business, with his head down, staying sober, going to AA meetings and being regretful and trying to find a way to make a life for himself. He had that choice.

In reality, I think he was doing a lot of that. He wasn't socializing much, and dropped out of school. He was basically a recluse.

I don't know how many parties he went to before the video surfaced. From what I read, no one had seen much of him after the accident.

The problem is that the night he killed four people was not the first time he had been caught drinking and driving. He had been caught drinking and driving before that with a half naked girl in the passenger seat and according to the officer who caught him "cautioned on the perils of drinking and driving."

He even mouthed off as the police questioned him. He said he had taken pre-law classes and knew what police could and couldn't do to him.

He left with two citations and his mother, Tonya, who was called to the scene.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/ethan-couch-family-history-legal-problems-article-1.2514777

That was four months before he killed all those people and all the affluenza nonsense started.

I don't feel sorry for him at all. He deserves worse, IMO.

Maybe I'll think about pitying him when he's actually punished for something that he does wrong and he expresses a shred of remorse for the lives he's ruined beyond his own.

Hmmm, you may just be right. If so, rut-roh.

From what I remember reading, she sold the house and the money was in the bank. She tried to withdraw more, for some reasom $60,000.00 sticks in my mind, because the report hereon WS said she could only withdraw half which was $30,000.00. I am on ipad so I will look for the news article posted here tomorrow. If anyone has time to look for it, go ahead, otherwise I will do it tomorrow.

Now I wonder how much they "blew" the short time in Mexico? The way the $30,000.00 was being spent it would not last long. How did she think they would 'never be seen again"? Neither worked either! :thinking:

Just saw a brief blurb from Sheriff Anderson on nbcdfw 4pm news. Ethan's safety seems to be the primary concern. As I understand it juvenile detention has co-mingling of inmates whereas in adult jail they can segregate prisoners. Can you imagine Ethan being housed in juvie with kids who resent the heck out of anyone suffering affluenza? I also heard that there is another hearing for Ethan on 2/14 although I'm not at all clear what that hearing is about. The one on the 14th is in addition to the one being held on 2/19 to determine if he will be declared as adult status.

bbm

Ty for the info. :) I was going to ask if the bolded (by me) was maybe a typo, because that would be on a Sunday. But then I saw this on the link you posted a bit later:

A continuation hearing related to Friday's housing move will be held on Feb. 12

from http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Ethan-Couch-Moved-From-Juvenile-Center-to-Adult-Jail-367847071.html

Thank you...that is interesting that hebstill is under j-court, but because they have no real place to isolate him, he had to go to adult jail. I really wonder what was going on in in j-hold. I bet the other kids were not nice. JMO

I bet you are exactly correct. There were probably lots of the juvies who basically grew up in poverty & had to struggle to even survive. They are accustomed to 'survival of the fittest' type lifestyle. I can't imagine how much they resented Ethan who was born with a silver spoon in his mouth. Actually I'm a little surprised that Ethan's new mugshot didn't show black eyes & cuts & bruises on his face.

I'm starting to wonder if it was Ethan himself who begged to be taken out of juvenile and the judge said ok.
It seemed to happen very suddenly. All of the articles that I read say that the adult jail and Sheriff's were only given minutes notice that Ethan was on his way on route being transferred....

Maybe he told his attorneys how miserable he was in juvie with everyone after him and they told him that if he transfers to adult prison they would isolate him and he could be alone.
If he was being tormented in juvie, being able to be all alone in a cell by himself in adult jail may have sounded like a great option to him.

I'm also wondering now if he has regretted his decision to leave the Mexican immigration detention center.

He has got at least one last chance to make his life right regardless of the outcome of if his sentence gets transferred to adult probation or not.
He is free to go and be released from jail after he turns 19 soon, and that is a guarantee at this point. It's only a matter of if he will be transferred to adult probation or not from there.

He is VERY lucky knowing he still at least has one more chance either way.

I imagine his attorneys were somehow involved in the move or it wouldn't have happened.

And miserable doesn't necessarily equal repentant. He's only feeling sorry for himself. Bet he could use a good drink about now!

The problem is that the night he killed four people was not the first time he had been caught drinking and driving. He had been caught drinking and driving before that with a half naked girl in the passenger seat and according to the officer who caught him "cautioned on the perils of drinking and driving."

He even mouthed off as the police questioned him. He said he had taken pre-law classes and knew what police could and couldn't do to him.

He left with two citations and his mother, Tonya, who was called to the scene.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/ethan-couch-family-history-legal-problems-article-1.2514777

That was four months before he killed all those people and all the affluenza nonsense started.

I don't feel sorry for him at all. He deserves worse, IMO.

Maybe I'll think about pitying him when he's actually punished for something that he does wrong and he expresses a shred of remorse for the lives he's ruined beyond his own.

Exactly! Killing 4 people and maiming more under DUI, whether underage or not, is NOT a "youthful indiscretion"!!! He knew what he was doing, he made those choices. He had no business driving anyway. I too have no sympathy for him or his enabling mother- who is NOT mentally retarded!!! My sympathies lie with his victims.:jail::jail::jail:

I'm starting to wonder if it was Ethan himself who begged to be taken out of juvenile and the judge said ok.
It seemed to happen very suddenly. All of the articles that I read say that the adult jail and Sheriff's were only given minutes notice that Ethan was on his way on route being transferred....

Maybe he told his attorneys how miserable he was in juvie with everyone after him and they told him that if he transfers to adult prison they would isolate him and he could be alone.
If he was being tormented in juvie, being able to be all alone in a cell by himself in adult jail may have sounded like a great option to him.

I'm also wondering now if he has regretted his decision to leave the Mexican immigration detention center.

He has got at least one last chance to make his life right regardless of the outcome of if his sentence gets transferred to adult probation or not.
He is free to go and be released from jail after he turns 19 soon, and that is a guarantee at this point. It's only a matter of if he will be transferred to adult probation or not from there.

He is VERY lucky knowing he still at least has one more chance either way.

Well at least he's getting a few weeks behind bars, although it's far short of what he deserves for killing 4 people!! He probably had to sleep with the lights on.:behindbar:behindbar:behindbar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper