GUILTY TX - Ethan Couch 'Affluenza Teen' DUI driver who killed four gets probation, 2013 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate to keep arguing here (really, I do) but how could you possibly have any idea how she feels about this son? Obviously, he AND his wife are in agreement that she can live with them, and he's willing to step forward and get his name wrapped up in this horrible extremely public mess.

She didn't have a problem fleeing with Ethan, telling his Dad he would never see him again, which also implies she was walking away from her kids forever, speaks volumes about her love. It's not obvious to me him and his wife are in agreement about anything, she may be dreading Tonya moving in, with no money, no vehicle, heavy legal fees, who acts like she's a prima donna.ICK

Having worked for 13 years with emotionally disturbed & abused children, it was always amazing to me that no matter what horrors they suffered at the hands of their mother, the kids never stopped loving her. It's really quite pitiful.

Some of the WS community may remember the horrible case of Diane Downs, who gunned down her children in order to please a man with whom she was infatuated because had told her he didn't want children and didn't want to be a stepfather. One child was killed, another horribly and permanently maimed, and the third, injured but recovered. After the daughter testified as to how she saw her mother shoot her and her siblings, she cried. When the prosecutor asked her if she still loved her mother, she answered yes. She still loved the monster who would have been perfectly happy to have killed her and who probably regretted her failure to do so.

Some of the WS community may remember the horrible case of Diane Downs, who gunned down her children in order to please a man with whom she was infatuated because had told her he didn't want children and didn't want to be a stepfather. One child was killed, another horribly and permanently maimed, and the third, injured but recovered. After the daughter testified as to how she saw her mother shoot her and her siblings, she cried. When the prosecutor asked her if she still loved her mother, she answered yes. She still loved the monster who would have been perfectly happy to have killed her and who probably regretted her failure to do so.

The book "Small Sacrifices" was riveting. That was my first introduction to the Bushy Haired Stranger phenom, and it was also telling how many people thought Diane was a devoted mother because of all the knick knack type things she had with her kids - lots of memorabilia and group pictures that look like love. I think of her often when I read a new case where someone says "she's completely devoted to her kids. She'd never leave/harm them".

Amazing but the child's love for it's mother never seems to waiver. I absolutely do NOT understand.

As far as I know, it's not been established factually that she or Ethan USED their passports to enter Mexico. A US driver's license is enough ID at most places.It has been said they had their passports, but we do not know this as fact.

As a local to this horrific crime and its unending repercussions, I definitely think she has a valid passport waiting for her in the DFW area.
Today, in her bond hearing, a Tarrant Co. Sheriff Deputy talked about the " meeting" Tonya and Ethan had with " many friends" on Dec. 4th. This is the " beer pong" video origin, I think.
In any case, the investigator specifically said that his source who was there when Ethan and Tonya were PLANNING over a period of hours with " friends" to disappear, the source ( a young adult like Ethan) did not retain possession of HIS passport.
The deputy didn't come right out and say " Ethan took the other guy's passport" but that was all he could have meant without coming out and saying it.

I think both of them have the means to get out of the USA and once Ethan is back in Texas, they will head to a developed country with no extradition treaty with the USA except for murder convictions. I also do not believe for one second that Fred Couch, the WV self- made millionaire father who officially is said to have made his fortune from sheet metal in a very small Texas town, is not with this plan, backing Tonya behind the scene, and will do the same or more for Ethan.
This divorce talk is something they've done twice before since Ethan killed 4 people and injured 12 more. Once, they were divorced for a short time, the other time, supposedly separated with a reconciliation.

One thing I haven't seen anyone mention is the Psych. evaluation ordered for Tonya now that she's back " home". http://www.cnn.com/2016/01/11/us/texas-affluenza-tonya-couch/
The second article addresses the order last week for her psych. eval. I've been saying she needs this, and then appropriate treatment, since we found out about this dysfunctional family 3 years ago.
I hope Ethan also has a thorough adult-based Psych. eval. when he slinks back into town.

I don't know if you've ever been arrested before, but there is no way she now has possession of anything she had when they arrested her. From what I understand, she was in her truck when she and Ethan were apprehended.

When you enter the jail, you are relieved of any possessions at all that you had. In the US (don't know if it's shakier in Mexico) her car with possessions inside would be towed. If she had an asthma inhaler or some other kind of emergency medication, that would be taken and be made available to her. Otherwise, her car would be towed (at great expense to her) to an impound lot where she would be charged money each day it wasn't picked up, and her possessions would be locked inside it. Maybe her purse and wallet would be taken to the jail, but not in her possession. Once inside the jail and booked in, she would have to strip naked, surrender all her jewelry or other possessions and clothing and underwear. She would be allowed to keep eyeglasses and usually dental retainers or false teeth, if any. And that's it.

So I don't know how she'd have her passport - she's still in custody. She has no possessions, not even earrings.

In listening and watching the court procedings....the truck was not hers, but belonged to her soon to be ex husband, mayve use until divorce is settled again. Since the truck was taken to another country, without the okay of the soon to be ex, and there are divorce poceedings going on, I wonder if the soon to be ex, can claim the truck was stolen. After all, she told him he would never see his son again.

IMO the Judge was trying to find out where the passport was. She was picked up and arreste/ held in Mexico. So it is assumed, her possessions, DL, PP and ex's truck were in the Mexicans PD possession. When she was tranferred to CA, her possessions SHOULD HAVE gone to the CA PD....and them from CA to TX PD, at least th clothing, jewelry, DL, PP, purse etc. The truck may have been held for a different transport back. This may have happend or not. The Judge should have been more explicit and said FIND that passport.

IMO. She will not beable to abide by the rules set on her and she will try and flee at some point, espicially if her son is freed in Mexico.

Oh yeah, she definitely won't be able to abide by restrictions, IMO. Can you imagine her living without booze, drugs & 'dear' Ethan? I can't. Plus 24 hour restriction to her son's house. This is a woman who is accustomed to living according to her own whims. She won't be any more able to discipline herself than she was Ethan. I feel sorry for her son & family that she will be living with. He's trying to help his mom & she will abuse him by not being concerned with his welfare.

As far as I know, it's not been established factually that she or Ethan USED their passports to enter Mexico. A US driver's license is enough ID at most places.It has been said they had their passports, but we do not know this as fact.

As a local to this horrific crime and its unending repercussions, I definitely think she has a valid passport waiting for her in the DFW area.
Today, in her bond hearing, a Tarrant Co. Sheriff Deputy talked about the " meeting" Tonya and Ethan had with " many friends" on Dec. 4th. This is the " beer pong" video origin, I think.
In any case, the investigator specifically said that his source who was there when Ethan and Tonya were PLANNING over a period of hours with " friends" to disappear, the source ( a young adult like Ethan) did not retain possession of HIS passport.
The deputy didn't come right out and say " Ethan took the other guy's passport" but that was all he could have meant without coming out and saying it.

I think both of them have the means to get out of the USA and once Ethan is back in Texas, they will head to a developed country with no extradition treaty with the USA except for murder convictions. I also do not believe for one second that Fred Couch, the WV self- made millionaire father who officially is said to have made his fortune from sheet metal in a very small Texas town, is not with this plan, backing Tonya behind the scene, and will do the same or more for Ethan.
This divorce talk is something they've done twice before since Ethan killed 4 people and injured 12 more. Once, they were divorced for a short time, the other time, supposedly separated with a reconciliation.

One thing I haven't seen anyone mention is the Psych. evaluation ordered for Tonya now that she's back " home". http://www.cnn.com/2016/01/11/us/texas-affluenza-tonya-couch/
The second article addresses the order last week for her psych. eval. I've been saying she needs this, and then appropriate treatment, since we found out about this dysfunctional family 3 years ago.
I hope Ethan also has a thorough adult-based Psych. eval. when he slinks back into town.

I actually think Fred may be finished with Tonya. He will have enough trouble & expense trying to help Ethan. He doesn't need 2 idiots on his hands.

I have no doubt in my mind that Fred has a few screws loose based on his long recorded history of stupidity. But maybe he has finally opened his eyes and has put his foot down to Tonya. Only time will tell for sure but I hope he has.
It is certainly a great sign that Tonya wasn't able to put him down this time as her permanent address.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/01/11/us/te...-tonya-couch1004PMVODtopPhoto&linkId=20277152
On Friday Tarrant County Magistrate Judge Matt King ordered Tonya Couch to undergo a mental exam after the court found "reasonable cause" to believe that she suffers from "a mental illness or is a person with a mental retardation," according to court documents.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Tonya tests positive for being Narcissistic or having histrionic personality. Other than that??? I would be very surprised.

She has proven time and time again that she has a high enough IQ to be the mastermind behind many things involving Ethan.
Such as 1. Making a plan with Ethan to not tell dad about what really happened the night he was caught with the naked 14 year old. (on the 20/20 episode it discusses how Tonya went with a plan to not tell dad what really happened.)
2. Throwing dearest Ethan a going away party before he went on the run. 3. Helping to provide Ethan with food and shelter (and liquor and strippers and...) in a different country when he became a wanted fugitive.

I wonder if she tested positive for drugs or alcohol while in Mexico, CA, or TX jails since the Judge made a point of her not using them. I know each one stays in the body only so long...or what was found with her in Mexico, just wondering.

And wondering who is putting up her bond and when will she get out.

Nope, I was addressing a comment that said that people of higher SES tend to have higher IQ's, due to factors such as money to provide education, nutrition, health care, etc. This is a true statement. My statement was simply that she would not have had those IQ boosting advantages because she did not grow up privileged. Nowhere does it assert that people who are not high SES are automatically of low IQ.

Based on her actions, both now and in the remote past, TC does not appear to be blessed with good judgment or a high IQ. It doesn't sound as if she grew up in an environment which stressed the importance of education, higher thought processes, or personal instrospection. If she turns out to be eligible for MENSA, I will be surprised indeed.

In the first part of your argument, you're making a statistical point. In the second you are speaking ad hominem. Your statistical argument correlates lower SES with lower IQ. That is an assertion, since you claim it is true. Since you claim your point of view is true, I took it for granted that you meant it.

All statistics fail at the level of the individual...

Your point reminds me of a book called "The Bell Curve" as well as some recent SCOTUS statements about who ought not to be qualifying for UT. I thought we were past all that.

I wonder if she tested positive for drugs or alcohol while in Mexico, CA, or TX jails since the Judge made a point of her not using them. I know each one stays in the body only so long...or what was found with her in Mexico, just wondering.

Good questions!

Amazing but the child's love for it's mother never seems to waiver. I absolutely do NOT understand.
I dont understand it either. My father tried to choke the life out of me at 16. I was fearful,afraid, untrusting but love hmmmm NO.
Maybe its just a mom thing?

I think both of them have the means to get out of the USA and once Ethan is back in Texas, they will head to a developed country with no extradition treaty with the USA except for murder convictions.
Somehow, I can't see them enjoying Russia....

And I'm wondering how far Tonya's jaw dropped when she realized she may be on her own with this one. Her bail is at $75,000 now? So 10% to get her out is $7,500...pocket change for a millionaire like Fred but without him? She may come back down to reality soon enough if she has to start paying for these things herself.

I actually think Fred may be finished with Tonya. He will have enough trouble & expense trying to help Ethan. He doesn't need 2 idiots on his hands.

It will probably be interesting to see how this all plays out. Remember- Tonya is Ethan's chief enabler, even though it's Daddy's money.

How Ethan acts when he gets back to the DFW area as far as wanting this car, a new Rolex, and that house over there, I think Daddy will buy and Tonya will be the first one with a spare key to the car and the house. :)

JMO based upon the truly SICK dynamics of this " family".

I think you might be misunderstanding what bond is for, and how the behaviors of her now adult son are not really her behaviors. Bond is not intended to punish the family members of criminals.

Her crime is a class c felony, and apparently that usually merits a 10K bond. In her case, it appears she's more of a flight risk so hers is 7 times that amount.

I understand what bonds are for, but she was already under a million dollar bond. She had the money to take her and her son out of the country to hide out. She tried to withdraw $60,000 from her account but now she's whining that she's broke? Tough. Suck it up buttercup you're busted

I agree bonds are not meant to punish the families of most criminals but this one is a little different. The judge in the original trial ruled that the family of Ethan Couch was responsible for what happened to the innocent victims he killed. The mother from this same family then proceeds to pack up her baby and hide him so the big bad cops can't get him. I think they both need to serve some serious time. I'd like to know how long this mommy's boy would last behind bars. Rant over.

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member