TX - Fertilizer plant explodes in West, Texas

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The thing that struck me in these 2 videos is that these people not be "locals".

Because they don't even wonder about the plant? I mean, if you know there is a fertilizer plant in town, why would you think ANYTHING else first????

Wouldn't that be your assumption?? So they must not know the plant is there. Will go finish watching this second one now...but that really struck me as odd!

I honestly don't think these videos Surfie posted are from the West explosion. It looks to me like the Big Spring explosion. Nothing wrong with Surfie posting them, as they say they are from West, but several sources have been wrong with reporting. These are just random people, so you never know. MOO! :)

AWESOME closeup footage of the apartment and neighborhood around the site--best I've seen so far; they should send it in to a news site. Unbelievable debris field.

So odd that the woman in the video (who seemed to be a local) kept thinking it 'must be a plane,' because the devastation looked like a bomb had hit, and 'only a plane could do that much damage.' I guess we just don't think of fertilizer plants as being so potentially bomb-like (or maybe she didn't know the plant was there?)

Hope her friend Andrea has been found okay...

Just finished watching it - it's even more weird to me since CLEARLY they are in fact locals! I still don't know how that wasn't their first thought. Plus, the fire was burning for 20 minutes before the explosion. I would think the Volunteer Fire Alarm (if they are like they are when I lived in a place with a VFD) would alert the ENTIRE town to the fact that there is a fire anyway. Maybe you get used to the alarms and tune them out or something?

But it was terrifying and awful...I still have tears in my eyes. Nice job being Reporter-On-The-Spot though. I laughed when he said it would have to be heavily edited if news used it...LOL!!

Trust me, having lived in a couple towns with grain elevators right smack dab near the center, which, if the grain dust went wrong, could have blown up at any time, people in West knew there was a fertilizer plant right there which could do the same thing.

I honestly don't think these videos Surfie posted are from the West explosion. It looks to me like the Big Spring explosion. Nothing wrong with Surfie posting them, as they say they are from West, but several sources have been wrong with reporting. These are just random people, so you never know. MOO! :)

Love you Softail...I really do! (though you probably don't know me from Adam - LOL!)

I am not a betting woman, but that is West. The Senior home being across from the school, and the apartment complex is DEFINITELY the one blown apart, where her friend Andrea lived.

Trust me, having lived in a couple towns with grain elevators right smack dab near the center, which, if the grain dust went wrong, could have blown up at any time, people in West knew there was a fertilizer plant right there which could do the same thing.

uh I went to highschool in a tiny texas town that had grain elevators and I had no idea they could blow up!

That's what I am thinking! Yet the couple in that video NEVER mentioned the plant, and kept saying it MUST be a plane!!!!! It really struck me as odd...but maybe when you live so close to something, for your own "peace of mind" you don't think something SO HORRIFIC could happen??? You just tell yourself it can't happen, so when it does, it just doesn't register?

I don't know, but now they know...sadly!

Love you Softail...I really do! (though you probably don't know me from Adam - LOL!)

I am not a betting woman, but that is West. The Senior home being across from the school, and the apartment complex is DEFINITELY the one blown apart, where her friend Andrea lived.

His Facebook is open to the public. He has a post about it and lists his town as West.

That may very well be true. The second one. The first one just looks like the mushroom cloud from the Big Spring explosion. Then again, what do I know. :dunno: The media doesn't help putting out mis-information! :)

:blowkiss: love ya too!

Ms. F - no it hasn't started yet!

uh I went to highschool in a tiny texas town that had grain elevators and I had no idea they could blow up!
I didn't, I guess, till junior high, when one blew up out in western KS. We didn't have grain elevators, but when I moved to even smaller KS towns that did, I eyed them suspiciously night and day. Lived in another with a small brick manufacturer on a hill right above town, where the kilns glowed red and had to be attended to or - ka-blooey! And they say small town life is safer. Ha.

Somebody is listening on a cell phone on the podium to the press conference?

Senator Birdwell is the one on the phone because they have no power.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jake12
Back