TX - Five Yates children drowned, Houston, 20 June 2001 *Insanity*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
LinasK said:
I don't believe Rusty stood by her at all. It goes beyond continuing to impregnant a woman known to have severe post-partum depression. He prematurely took her out of a mental hospital, didn't ensure that she kept on her meds. Indoctrinated her with that preacher's teaching about what a lousy mother she was. Made her home-school 5 small children (and mostly boys at that!). Didn't help out with dish-washing, and left a woman who couldn't care for herself because of her depression alone for even a minute with children she had expressed thoughts of killing. I too blame Rusty's part, her psychiatrist that d/c'ed her meds and discharged her, and the preacher for their parts in the murders. I think they too are Guilty to a lesser degree of these deaths. And why didn't Rusty's mother arrive as soon as he had to leave for work or stay overnight???:banghead:
Great questions! There are other culpable people....have they been charged? No, they haven't. I am usually not in defense of a mental illness killing but this is an exception to the rule. These people knew....dammit they knew. Their dancing around issues is disgusting.

shopper said:
Rusty should IMO keep his dumb mouth shut, especially since a good chunk of the blame is on him. He never contributes anything worthwhile and only makes himself look bad every time. He divorced her and has moved on, he needs to butt out of her case regardless of any kind of "justice" or treatment for her. He had his chance to show concern when it counted and now it's a case of too little too late.

JMO
I still don't get how they didn't charge him with something. HE KNEW -------------HE KNEW!!!!!!!!!! not to get her pregnant again but yet.... poor Rusty WANTED more children.... what a piece of scum. I hope he lives his own hell. AND HOW DARE HE EVER EVER WANT MARRIAGE AND MORE CHILDREN. God I hope the state watches him if he ever has children again. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

kk's mom said:
I don't know. I don't think Rusty Yates helped matters any by continuing to get his wife pregnant when he knew she was unstable after what, the 3rd? Now, I might catch some slack here and I'm only just voicing my opinion so keep that in mind. Those who defend Andrea Yates say that she is most likely not guilty of the murders of her children due to mental illness. And I guess that might be right. But this guy stood by this woman from day one of this tragedy. He testified in her defense and argued against the public's perception that this woman was a witch and a monster. I think he deseves a little better than to be blamed for the murders and to be vilified as a cruel, domineering husband. He might have his quirks but keep in mind, he loved his wife and he loved his kids. He tried to do what he could in a situation that you nor I could even imagine being in. Whether mental or not mental, it's Andrea Yates, not Rusty Yates, who killed their five children. I believe she belongs in jail and should never have the chance to see daylight again. I believe that because when I look at the pictures of the innocent lives she took, her own children, it turns my stomach and makes me cry just wondering what they went through at the hands of their own mother.

No bashing from me. Yes, Andrea is the one who took each of them (chased one) into the bathroom and held their heads underwater while they struggled to get air. She owns that. But she was/is very mentally ill, being mentally ill is not her fault, she didn't have the capacity to get her own self the kind of help she needed. So, it was up to her husband to do it as the sane, responsible adult and protector of his children.

IMO Rusty is ignorant and it's no more his fault than it is Andrea's that she's extremely mentally ill. But there is no excuse for ignorance, when he had professionals telling him what was best for his wife, the wife he didn't know what to do with.

It's complicated and I know it's not so black and white. Also, it is my understanding that their health insurance wouldn't pay for a lot of her treatment so there is more than enough blame to go around.

You can file with any State for an involuntary commitment order if you believe that someone is a danger to themselves or someone else. They will normally abide that at least until evaluation is presented. It takes 30 days before the person is let go. Almost any responsible person would do this and then wonder what went wrong with the system. Rusty didn't do this.

blueclouds said:
I still don't get how they didn't charge him with something. HE KNEW -------------HE KNEW!!!!!!!!!! not to get her pregnant again but yet.... poor Rusty WANTED more children.... what a piece of scum. I hope he lives his own hell. AND HOW DARE HE EVER EVER WANT MARRIAGE AND MORE CHILDREN. God I hope the state watches him if he ever has children again. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

I know. :sick:

I'm sure there's a desperado out there that would love to marry him, but I can't fathom such a woman.

shopper said:
Also, it is my understanding that their health insurance wouldn't pay for a lot of her treatment so there is more than enough blame to go around.
I'm sorry, but you don't prematurely take a mentally ill person home 1)because insurance won't pay and 2)leave her alone at home for any length of time- that's like leaving a child home unattended with a book of matches- just plain stupid!!!:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

LinasK said:
I'm sorry, but you don't prematurely take a mentally ill person home 1)because insurance won't pay and 2)leave her alone at home for any length of time- that's like leaving a child home unattended with a book of matches- just plain stupid!!!:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

But you and I know that this could happen. Doesn't excuse any of this but it happens.

LinasK said:

No argument here. I'm just thinking big picture by saying there is plenty of blame to go around, but ultimately it was up to Rusty, as the sane one, to do whatever needed to be done. Their insurance company was just doing what all ins. com's do, screw over their customers (MO, they don't care one iota about their paying customers), so he should have fought with them or dropped her off at the nearest state mental hospital, have full-time live-in help, something!

shopper said:
No argument here. I'm just thinking big picture by saying there is plenty of blame to go around, but ultimately it was up to Rusty, as the sane one, to do whatever needed to be done. Their insurance company was just doing what all ins. com's do, screw over their customers (MO, they don't care one iota about their paying customers), so he should have fought with them or dropped her off at the nearest state mental hospital, have full-time live-in help, something!
Agree with you completely on this.

shopper said:
I saw him on LKL about a year or so ago, at the same time as David Smith (Susan Smith's ex) and the difference between those two men was astounding. Both lost their children by drowing by their wives. You could see on DS's face that it is still a struggle for him, that he's grieving and angry still. But Rusty was a whole other story.

Rusty is a moron IMO, he still doesn't totally get it, if at all.

I remember watching the show and thinking the same as you. My heart went out to David and my finger went out to Rusty. What a dope. Makes me think that he's one of those academics with no common sense.

jilly said:
I remember watching the show and thinking the same as you. My heart went out to David and my finger went out to Rusty. What a dope. Makes me think that he's one of those academics with no common sense.
Don't credit him with academics he is not worthy.

jilly said:

Poor David Smith, it's painful for me to even look at him. He has two young kids now and seems to really want to be happy, but can't quite get there. :(

michelle said:
she did lie for 9 days about her children and then broke down and confessed, it was testified to that susan had mental illnesses, she had them since she was 6 years old and her father killed himself due to his own mental illness, i am not by any means defending her but i have studied this case inside and out and did papers for school on her and in my opinion, shes got mental issues....

I don't feel real sorry for Susan Smith and her mental issues. Heck, we all have them to one degree or another. But, insane? I think not.

But Andrea Yates is in a different realm, you can't even compare these two cases. Susan Smith is a cold-blooded narcissitic murderer. She reminds me a lot of SP. She wanted what she wanted and got rid of what she believed to be in her way. People-are-dispensable type of attitude.

She will answer dearly someday for her crimes. So will Andrea Yates, but she is the most insane person I've yet to see.

:twocents:

IMO

Only4Justice said:
I don't feel real sorry for Susan Smith and her mental issues. Heck, we all have them to one degree or another. But, insane? I think not.

But Andrea Yates is in a different realm, you can't even compare these two cases. Susan Smith is a cold-blooded narcissitic murderer. She reminds me a lot of SP. She wanted what she wanted and got rid of what she believed to be in her way. People-are-dispensable type of attitude.

She will answer dearly someday for her crimes. So will Andrea Yates, but she is the most insane person I've yet to see.

:twocents:

IMO
I dont think that susan smith is like SP at all....Susan did and does have mental illnesses to this day and it was testified in her trial there is no disputing that.....She has a long history of mental illness and there was alot that went on with her and surrounding the murders of her children. She was on and off medication as well. Also the girl was molested by her stepdad, no one intervened, her dad killed himself and there was some serious things going on in her family, she was warped from a young age.Everyone testified to what a great mother she was and they couldnt believe she would do this..These woman who kill have some serious issues going on and i dont think they all just do it for the heck of it or to get a man, some do, but not all...JMO

concernedperson said:
Don't credit him with academics he is not worthy.

I only accredited him as an academic because he's an engineer at NASA - but now that I say that, I'm starting to wonder about NASA!!:eek:

jilly said:
I only accredited him as an academic because he's an engineer at NASA - but now that I say that, I'm starting to wonder about NASA!!:eek:
I would think that since he is obviously smart that he would have helped andrea and realized something was seriously wrong....Some people have book knowledge but no common sense.....

concernedperson said:
You can file with any State for an involuntary commitment order if you believe that someone is a danger to themselves or someone else. They will normally abide that at least until evaluation is presented. It takes 30 days before the person is let go. Almost any responsible person would do this and then wonder what went wrong with the system. Rusty didn't do this.

In 1999 my mother attempted to do this to/for me and Connecticut, the state that we lived in at the time, refused to involuntary commit me, saying that now a-days, only an MD can have a person commited against their will.

Oh, how I remember my mom B*tching at them saying "If my daughter ends up taking her own life, it's on YOU people!"

Such an injustice they don't have a federal mandate for such things especially when children are at risk.

michelle said:
I would think that since he is obviously smart that he would have helped andrea and realized something was seriously wrong....Some people have book knowledge but no common sense.....

That's right - book smart as opposed to street.:)

michelle said:
I dont think that susan smith is like SP at all....Susan did and does have mental illnesses to this day and it was testified in her trial there is no disputing that.....She has a long history of mental illness and there was alot that went on with her and surrounding the murders of her children. She was on and off medication as well. Also the girl was molested by her stepdad, no one intervened, her dad killed himself and there was some serious things going on in her family, she was warped from a young age.Everyone testified to what a great mother she was and they couldnt believe she would do this..These woman who kill have some serious issues going on and i dont think they all just do it for the heck of it or to get a man, some do, but not all...JMO

IMO, Susan Smith is a lot like SP--she lied for days on end about what she had done...SP was more savvy about lying than her, but Susan Smith set up a whole crime scenario about what had happened, SP didn't even do that, he just came home to (ahem) find his wife missing. Susan Smith set about killing her boys as deliberately as SP set about killing Laci. As far as Susan being "warped from a young age" there's now an awful lot that's coming about from books being written that SP too may have been "warped from a young age" due to Jackie and Lee. The only difference I see between Susan and Scott is that she actually admitted to what she had done--he hasn't and probably never will, but they both set about to carry these murderous acts out in the hopes that they would not get caught. IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ioprgee