Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
j2mirish said:
Please dont consider it babbling- what some of you folks have shared with us, is alot of help with discussing Andrea's illness--- she cried for help over & over-- unfortunalty, her husband didnt care, and she was not "strong" enough to get help for herself--you guys sharing your history, make it "real" without the ending tragedies:blowkiss:

Thanks for your kindness :)

Socks said:
There is never a "reason" to murder your children. Sorry, Jeana, I'm just overly simplistic like that.

:)

I agree. There is no excuse for murder..other than self defense perhaps.

Mental illness is not an excuse for murder in my book....and certainly not the murder of 5 helpless children in such a violent, cruel and heartless way. She didn't suffocate them in their sleep or drug them to a peaceful death...she drowned them one by one with no remorse or mercy while they struggled and fought to live.

I also don't buy it that Andrea thought she was "saving" the children from anything. She was severely depressed, felt overburdened, was suffering from psychosis yes, but I think she tried to remove what she felt was the cause...her children. She couldn't care for them properly, I am sure they were a handful and much more than a mentally ill person could deal with...in the course of a day...much less year after year....so she removed that burden.

I also think murdering the children was meant as a slap in the face to her husband who she did not feel cared for her or truly supported her or was taking her condition seriously...so she had her reasons.........but still it was murder.

Should Rusty have helped her more? Yes. But ultimately each person is reponsible for themselves and their own actions.

Yes she had a sick, sick mind.... Yet I still believe she knew she was committing murder. She didn't just lose her cool and strike out blindly in her insanity...she was cold and calculating about what she did...she got every last one of her children. She could have called 911 to please come stop her after the first one. But no, she wanted the job to be finished.

I think that she should stay locked up forever. Hospital or Prison makes no difference to me. But wait and see I bet after a couple of years in the Hospital she will attempt to be released from there also...just a prediction.

If I had commited the crime she commited I would be begging to be put to death. I could not live with it at all.

JMHO

Maybe So said:
I agree. There is no excuse for murder..other than self defense perhaps.

Mental illness is not an excuse for murder in my book....and certainly not the murder of 5 helpless children in such a violent, cruel and heartless way. She didn't suffocate them in their sleep or drug them to a peaceful death...she drowned them one by one with no remorse or mercy while they struggled and fought to live.

I also don't buy it that Andrea thought she was "saving" the children from anything. She was severely depressed, felt overburdened, was suffering from psychosis yes, but I think she tried to remove what she felt was the cause...her children. She couldn't care for them properly, I am sure they were a handful and much more than a mentally ill person could deal with...in the course of a day...much less year after year....so she removed that burden.

I also think murdering the children was meant as a slap in the face to her husband who she did not feel cared for her or truly supported her or was taking her condition seriously...so she had her reasons.........but still it was murder.

Should Rusty have helped her more? Yes. But ultimately each person is reponsible for themselves and their own actions.

Yes she had a sick, sick mind.... Yet I still believe she knew she was committing murder. She didn't just lose her cool and strike out blindly in her insanity...she was cold and calculating about what she did...she got every last one of her children. She could have called 911 to please come stop her after the first one. But no, she wanted the job to be finished.

I think that she should stay locked up forever. Hospital or Prison makes no difference to me. But wait and see I bet after a couple of years in the Hospital she will attempt to be released from there also...just a prediction.

If I had commited the crime she commited I would be begging to be put to death. I could not live with it at all.

JMHO

You stated this beautifully. I concur with your post 110%!:clap:

Jeana (DP) said:
Do you understand that she feared for her childrens' SOULS? She feared that because she was a bad mother that they would turn out to be bad children and end up in hell. So, to her, saving their souls from eternal damnation is exactly what she was doing. Calling 911 would defeat that purpose, no?

She could no more prevent her actions than a person dying of cancer could save their own life.

No I don't believe she feared for their souls. I simply don't. I think she was very unhappy and sick and she removed what she percieved was the reason for her unhappiness.....her kids.

newtv said:
snip...However, for htose who are taking te opposite opinion I can understand it-its not easy to be compassionate toward anyone who has killed 5 children..the first reaction is not to understand it except to call it evil.
I dont think she is evil
scott peterson is evil
there is a big difference between evil and mentally ill.

Not much difference if you are the victim though....dead is dead....

and truly wasn't Ted Bundy also simply suffering from just another sort of mental illness that warped his sense of right and wrong?

Maybe So said:
Not much difference if you are the victim though....dead is dead....

QUOTE] :clap: .......On court tv right now, the investigators, is the Andrea Yates trial ect.....

Maybe So said:
Mental illness is not an excuse for murder in my book....JMHO

I completely agree with this statement! Mental illness is not and should never be an excuse for bad behavior.
BUT Because she is so extremely mentally ill that certainly should be considered an extenuating curcimstance at the very least, no?

I can't believe people are actually feeling sorry for Andrea. Does everyone remember she brutally murdered 5 innocent little children? And yes to me holding someone underwater is brutal.. I know they were all staring at her while she was doing it wondering why? She is a dirty rotten monster. A animal. And she is where she belongs I just wish the husband would of been charged with something becuase I think he turned the animal into what she was or at least had some contributing factors to it.

Mygirlsadie said:
I can't believe people are actually feeling sorry for Andrea. Does everyone remember she brutally murdered 5 innocent little children? And yes to me holding someone underwater is brutal.. I know they were all staring at her while she was doing it wondering why? She is a dirty rotten monster. A animal. And she is where she belongs I just wish the husband would of been charged with something becuase I think he turned the animal into what she was or at least had some contributing factors to it.

Sadie, I am with you. I find it very hard to feel any sympathy for her. Little Dylan Groene and Jessica Lunsfords killers obviously are very sick individuals also, and we have no sympathy for them, why should we for her. Personally, I dont care where she ends up, as long as she is NEVER free.

I watched a special on her last night and i was listening at how the murders occured, and to me it seemed like it was very well planned, i cant get past that. I understand that people have mental issues, i have a family member who has severe ones. It is real, i know that. But to plan them out the way she did, to me that shows that she knew what she was doing, IMO.

Maybe So said:
No I don't believe she feared for their souls. I simply don't. I think she was very unhappy and sick and she removed what she percieved was the reason for her unhappiness.....her kids.

Okie dokie!

altruist1000 said:
IMO, Rusty Yates should have been charged with "NEGLIGENT HOMICIDE" when he left those children with an incompetent, insane woman to care for them. Right from the beginning I found him to be the one who should have been held responsible for the tragedy of the deaths of those 5 children.

Any woman who agrees to home school & live out of a bus with 5 children is definitely out of her mind & he knew of her condition.

Rusty Yates makes me SICK.
But if RUSTY YATES makes that decison he ISN'T insane and you don't have the same compassion for him as you do for her?

You see this is a double standard and me thinks you have an agenda somewhat removed from objectively looking at this case. If ANDREA makes the these decisions to live and rear children this way and is INSANE for that but RUSTY is evil, YOU belie your own claims. Sorry, you can't have it both ways.

I'm with the person who feels Andrea was mentally ill, but her husband was/is evil for making her live the way she did. And let's not even get started on their so-called "man of God" who taught them that this was the way to live.

With a heavy heart evil does walk among us. It is usually the people who are more importent to us. We fall for it as we never expect that much betrayel.If you are not with all of your mental skills you fall harder.In that lies responsibilty. Andrea was so culpable and so sick. I grieve over the children and I don't believe Andrea should ever be out of a controlled environment. But others share in this whether or not they will admit to it.

Do sane people kill their children and then call 911 and say hey come get me I need to be executed to kill the devil? I think a sane (someone more sane than Andrea was) person would have tried to run or hide what they had done and not called the police and then sit down and enjoy a diet coke and wait until the police show up.

Maybe So said:
Being smart doesn't mean he didn't suffer a mental illness. I am quite sure that all serial killers suffer some form of mental illness or another. Pedophilia, sadism, even alcholic wife beaters all suffer from some sort of mental illness. Perhaps not all are as severe as Andrea Yates...but still I agree with the person who said anyone who kills their own child (or anyone else for that matter) is not right in the head (unless in self defense/accident etc)..... so should everyone just get treatment for their underlying mental problems instead of any punishment for their heinous crime? I think not.

She was so depressed she couldn't function but she could plan and carry out this murder of her 5 children and call 911. I think she could have called 911 FIRST and asked for help to save her children...I think she was capable of that but did not do it.

HOUSTON (AP) — A photograph of Andrea Yates' 7-year-old son floating face down in a bathtub is among the images her attorney does not want jurors to see during Yates' second capital murder trial.

Yates' attorney filed 30 pretrial motions, which were made public Monday, including one requesting "any and all photographs" of her children not be shown to jurors during the trial set to begin March 20.

George Parnham claims the photos could cause jurors to be unfairly prejudiced or confuse them, although prosecutors claim the images are evidence of Yates' crime.

During Yates' original trial, the judge allowed jurors to see photographs of the children and a crime scene video taken by police investigators. A hearing is scheduled for Friday.

Yates faces two capital murder charges for the drowning deaths of 7-year-old Noah, 5-year-old John and the youngest, 6-month-old Mary. Evidence was presented about the drownings of Paul, 3, and Luke, 2, but Yates was not charged in their deaths.

She has again entered an innocent by reason of insanity plea.

http://www.courttv.com/trials/yates/022106_ap.html

I'm sorry, but the point of this trial is that she DID drown her children and that is what the pictures would show. If this is too prejudicial, then what is the point of having a trial at all? Anything said/shown about the murders would be prejudicial? I'm not a lawyer, obviously, but this really irks me.

I dont understand why they wouldnt want the pictures shown? I mean this is the whole reason there is a trial, because she drowned her kids, they should be shown the photos IMO.

For the people that think she is "insane" i ask you this. Mainly for REB, because they know all;)

1) What exactly do you know about insane people? Being that they are insane there is no way of knowing how insane they really are! Psychologists only go by their opinion, so it isn't fact...it's opinion. You're taking the word of a psychologist who may or may not be insane???

2) Was she so insane that she CHASED the last child down? Wouldn't she have snapped out of it?

3) Is their any possible way this could be a LIE to get out of the death penalty? *GASP* SHRIEK* It CAN'T BE!:doh:

~wildangel~ said:
For the people that think she is "insane" i ask you this. Mainly for REB, because they know all;)

1) What exactly do you know about insane people? Being that they are insane there is no way of knowing how insane they really are! Psychologists only go by their opinion, so it isn't fact...it's opinion. You're taking the word of a psychologist who may or may not be insane???

Kinda sounds like how they diagnose Alzheimer's, no?
Doctors do not know for SURE if someone has Alzheimers until they die.
Sure... there is testing that can tell that you "probably" have it- but Doctors go by their opinion, so it isn't fact...it's opinion.
Do you not believe in Alzheimers either?

~wildangel~ said:
2) Was she so insane that she CHASED the last child down? Wouldn't she have snapped out of it?

We don't "snap" out of insanity... not without intense medical intervention, LOTS of meds and therapy and even that doesn't always "snap" someone out of insanity. I could share some sad, sad stories about insane people I have come across that wish like hell they could snap outta it.

~wildangel~ said:
3) Is their any possible way this could be a LIE to get out of the death penalty? *GASP* SHRIEK* It CAN'T BE!:doh:

I don't think anyone could "fake it" this intense and for this long. Doctors have testing they give to these kinds of people to more or less trick them into answering in certain ways making it so the Dr. can tell if one is faking or not. Andrea has been seen and tested by several Doctors and they all have the same "opinion"- that she is insane- crazy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member