TX - Former Dallas Police Officer Amber Guyger, indicted for Murder of Botham Shem Jean #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
My nephew just text me from Dallas
Local Fox News reporter Shaun Rabb said
once the State rested, the Defense asked judge to throw the case out.
Denied.
Also State is going to address lesser charges

MOO

It seems like she is trying to convince the 911 operator during that call. Also, why isn't the 911 operator asking her to check on him?

I know she is under immense stress but the code can help save the life of the man she just "accidentally" shot.

Did she work at the apartment complex as a security guard? If yes, she would for sure know the code and need to give it under stress for that job.

It seems like she is trying to convince the 911 operator during that call. Also, why isn't the 911 operator asking her to check on him?

I know she is under immense stress but the code can help save the life of the man she just "accidentally" shot.

Did she work at the apartment complex as a security guard? If yes, she would for sure know the code and need to give it under stress for that job.

BBM

Per testimony from apartment management she did NOT work for them.

She has to pay for that criminally. If she doesn't in some manner, then every good guy with a gun is absolved of their grave responsibility when it comes to their weaponry, IMO.

We wouldn't allow that irresponsibility while handling a car. We damn well shouldn't while handling a weapon. Cop or not.

Yeah. We might as well all be armed and do whatever we please. If we have the right appearance, have the right job, the right connections, and absolutely no shame or sense of accountability, then it should work out for us. What a sad state for a great nation, and a culture that I was proud to be a part of. I am feeling very old and cranky these days.

This includes a bit of Botham singing in church.

Wow. This man seems revered by his church. They adored him. He was so involved and appears very "Godly". Yet some have tried hard to cast aspersions on this victim's character just because he used marijuana. (Or something). Because of course that makes him a derelict who deserved what he got.

I hope everyone watches this, watches him sing and hears what his fellow parishioners thought about him.

Such a sad loss.

Wow. This man seems revered by his church. They adored him. He was so involved and appears very "Godly". Yet some have tried hard to cast aspersions on this victim's character just because he used marijuana. (Or something). Because of course that makes him a derelict who deserved what he got.

I hope everyone watches this, watches him sing and hears what his fellow parishioners thought about him.

Such a sad loss.

So sad.

Botham Jean remembered for singing talents by university

This certainly evidences the kind of mindset that I don't think is appropriate for LE or someone who carries a loaded gun.

Here's the thing though: If I text and drive and plow into a couple of kids on a sidewalk and kill them, am I less culpable based on the level of horror and remorse I show?

I do understand that juries seem to think so. But I don't think the law does when it comes to whether the elements of a crime have been met. That has something to do with sentencing. Remorse can have something to do with what sentence there should be and whether there are any mitigators.

It concerns me though that whether or not she seemed remorseful makes people decide whether or not she committed a crime.

What's also super concerning is the seeming lack of understanding by many that carrying a loaded weapon does and should elevate ones duty of care in the same manner that driving a two ton car does.

It's almost like people think the second amendment- our right to bear arms- absolves us of the duty to use EXTREME caution while doing so.

She's wasn't carrying a bagel for God's sake. If we are going to abide by the second amendment and allow people to carry deadly weapons like guns then we also need to fully understand that with that right comes a huge responsibility.

Another analogy: So if someone is exhausted from working a 48 hour shift and gets in their car and drives home and in their sheer exhaustion gets confused and drives the wrong way up a freeway off ramp and kills a couple of people in a head on collision, the law is going to find that they were reckless in driving in that condition. The law is going to find them culpable no matter how much they cry or how sorry they are. As it should! Cars are deadly!

Why on earth should a gun be different?

She was carrying a loaded deadly weapon with hollow point bullets which are meant to make sure a human cannot survive a gun shot. That's the design. But she was distracted. She was exhausted.

It was thus her responsibility to unload her weapon, store it in a safe bag and take it home or leave it at work.

She failed to do so. And in that condition she made a mistake regarding her apartment and killed a man.

She has to pay for that criminally. If she doesn't in some manner, then every good guy with a gun is absolved of their grave responsibility when it comes to their weaponry, IMO.

We wouldn't allow that irresponsibility while handling a car. We damn well shouldn't while handling a weapon. Cop or not.
Agree with you, as usual.
I do think she had remorse and made a horrible, horrible deadly mistake. And yes, she must be held to a higher standard as a public servant carrying a gun. She will have to be sentenced according to law. I'm more interested in the civil case that will follow. I think she'll get 2 years in prison, and 5 probation.

Amateur opinion and speculation

Agree with you, as usual.
I do think she had remorse and made a horrible, horrible deadly mistake. And yes, she must be held to a higher standard as a public servant carrying a gun. She will have to be sentenced according to law. I'm more interested in the civil case that will follow. I think she'll get 2 years in prison, and 5 probation.

Amateur opinion and speculation

I think you're probably right. If she's convicted it probably won't be more than that. Maybe more probation.

If she's convicted though she won't be able to carry a gun again.

I think she's going to testify that he got angry and tried charging her and didn't heed her warnings. Or something along those lines. She HAS TO say that! Because otherwise it's a straight up execution.

It's completely unreasonable that there was no conversation between them, if you go by her claim. Even if he was startled, he had no weapon. If she was genuinely just confused and thought it was her apartment, there is no explanation why she would shoot him when he's just sitting on his couch and there's no weapon. He would've likely been too startled to try to charge her. I mean, anyway you look at it her defense makes zero sense. She's in uniform so he's not going to assume it's a burglar. He'll be shocked and wonder what's going on. He's not going to immediately charge a police officer in uniform. It makes no sense.
How come she didn't turn on the lights?

I really wish there was a witness who saw the whole thing go down.[/QUOTE

best question of the day!!!

Well thank God for that.

She'll be able to possess a gun at her residence or property only after conditions are met. Contrary to Federal Law, but that's Texas

once someone has been convicted of a felony, they must wait until the fifth anniversary of their release from jail, parole, or probation (again, whichever end date is later) before they can legally possess a firearm at his/her residence only.

Texas Penal Code § 46.04. Unlawful Possession of Firearm

This just in:

Judge is extremely upset that prosecutor broke a gag order by giving interviews regarding the trial:
Judge in disbelief after DA breaks rule in Amber Guyger trial - CNN Video

I don't have audio on my computer. Her physical reaction, however, is very telling. I don't know if a mis-trial situation is possible..... .

It isn't new. Happened on the first day, iirc. Judge was upset but there seem to be no action taken. She did warn the DA that their boss better know the rules apply to him too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper