Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Keys to a car = escape
A phone = call for help

Sounds as though someone didn't want her driving away or using the phone. A dumpster would be a good place for these two things but eventually retrieval of both would be important to the person who threw them there.

Something about your post made me shift gears.

You are so right = take away HB's phone and car keys but let her keep holding her two-week old baby in her arms and she is completely captive. She can't run with the baby in her arms and there's no way she's leaving the baby behind or putting her in jeopardy.

OK I have not read through the hundreds of comments in the threads about this case... Can someone please explain what kind of reasoning is behind him searching dumpsters for her keys?? Is there some weird behavioral history of her throwing keys away that I am not aware of? It sounds like a really bizarre statement to make, one that would only make sense to me if the person searching knew there was some reason the keys could have ended up in a dumpster...
Perhaps to prevent her from leaving,or maybe they aren't missing after all. MOO ughhhh I'm having flash backs of times with my ex.

If it is true that LE has no idea what happened here, as was seemingly expressed at the PC yesterday, that vehicle would have been impounded and processed with a fine-toothed comb.
Not exactly, even when Heather Elvis disappeared, her car was found and the police asked her father to drive it home. It was at his home for quite some time before anything was ever done with it.

Disagree that if anyone had been ruled out by LE here that people still wouldn't have believed him/them.

LE has not ruled out anyone and said yesterday that any number of scenarios are possible.

I don't think most people want to believe that a SO had a hand in the disappearance of a partner.

BUT, when a partner/SO puts forward such a long and detailed account that doesn't bear up to scrutiny then it makes sense that people will start to ask questions IMO.

Can you imagine being the parents of HB and doing the long drive to TX to then be met by SC and his long story and then you sit and think about it and simply scratch your head because it makes so little sense?

Wouldn't the first question if you were those poor parents that you would ask SC would be: Did you go look for her? Did you go to the friends apt. here in the complex? What were you doing for 4 hrs in the afternoon where there is a gap in your story?

The HB parents could barely keep it together for the quick GMA interview today IMO.

Do you think they were satisfied with the SC 'account of the day's activities'?

I don't think so....

MOO

I agree with everything you’re saying. I was just getting caught up on the thread & had a little chuckle to myself because it doesn’t matter what this guy does, people are still going to think it’s fishy. Like I said, I have no idea what happened.

If it is true that LE has no idea what happened here, as was seemingly expressed at the PC yesterday, that vehicle would have been impounded and processed with a fine-toothed comb.
Not exactly, even when Heather Elvis disappeared, her car was found and the police asked her father to drive it home. It was at his home for quite some time before anything was ever done with it.

I'm confused. Why would she think they had broken up when the tentative plans were to move to her fiancee's fathers home?

Its obvious they were still together when she, and Margo disappeared.

Maybe I'm missing something.

Pommy due to being so busy buying, and wrapping gifts for our very large family ...time does not allow me to read all of the posts. So will you please tell me if LE has had any further updates since the PC.

I see the vast majority already seem to have her fiancee, and the dad to Margo, guilty. So has LE themselves come out, and said he is the POI or suspect? Has LE said they have been able to determine she, and Margo have met with foul play? Has LE said he's not cooperating? Have they said they have located any camera footage around the specific area? Did LE say they have interviewed everyone in the same complex, and all other neighbors around them? TIA so very much.

I hate I even have to ask you or bother you, but you are such an asset to all of us on supplying us with links to actual much needed information we can rely on that has come directly from LE or those who are directly involved in the cases. Tia again.

I still dont have an opinion one way or the other on this particular case

I will continue to pray they both are found safe, and alive.

Jmho
Hi Ocean,

There have been no further updates from LE since the PC and they have not named SC a POI or suspect. Neither has he or anyone else been ruled out.

They are investigating from two possible angles, 1) voluntarily missing and, 2) HM and MC have met with foul play.

LE has not made any statement regarding SC's cooperation of which I'm aware. As fast as this thread moves, I sure could have missed it.

We know LE is collecting camera footage but I don't think they've specified where. I think it's safe to assume that they would start with the apartment complex, and obviously they received footage from the school on day one.

LE did not say they have interviewed everyone in the complex and all other neighbors around them. They were/are going door-to-door, interviewing, checking for video, and inspecting vehicles. I do hope they get to everyone eventually, but doubt they will announce that if/when they do.

MOO

Last edited:
IMO, if he did do something, it was an accident and he is expressing regret for what he did.

But I would think he would have told the police that way earlier and here we are on day 6.
Nope. At this point he's still trying to spin the narrative because the minute he admits what he did, his life as he knows it, is over. All the shame and guilt out in the open. No more grilling sandwiches for his children. Just a cold cell. I'm sure some of those tears are for himself. JMHO

But wasn’t the carrier in the house according to SC? It sounds to me like her mom is saying HB was home and wouldn’t have left the home without those items.

moo

The latest report I've seen says the carrier is still in the car. According to HB's mom, HB would not have left the carrier in the car and carried the baby up (or down) the stairs in her arms.

If the carrier is in the car, it might indicate she never carried the baby upstairs.

Something that hasn't been touched on: did she leave home again after taking her son to school? I don't think we have any idea what she did from the time she left the school until the time SC came home to an empty house.

LE is probably scouring camera footage and knows much more than we do about her movements that morning.

People panic, especially after something violent and unplanned.

Even more-so when the clock is ticking.
Could be keys were thrown in dumpster to prevent her from leaving, then ooops Really need to get them back out,but say she might have thrown them in. I wonder if she tried call family,friend,or LEO at the time her phone shut off.
MOO.

Does this complex have an attic? I used to live in an attached townhouse, where the units' attics were not individually separated by walls, but ran right through. We all had an access panel upstairs, but once in the attic area, one could go the entire length to be above anyone else's unit. (against fire code now but the complex was built in 1970). Shane and Heidi live on the upper floor, correct? Is there an access to the space under the rafters I wonder.

This may have been mentioned elsewhere, but I haven't been able to read all of the posts. My guess about the dumpster diving and the talking to random people at the complex is to see what evidence may have been left or heard or seen that may implicate him in the disappearance - maybe something was tossed in the dumpster that he didn't intend to toss in the dumpster. Same with the cell phone records - what trail did those leave that someone would have to worry about? MOO.
Oddly, I got this same vibe as well!

It seemed to me that the actions taken by SC were related to SC and not as much to MB/baby.

TMobile, dumpster diving and sitting outside and 4 unaccounted for hours?

Maybe its something and maybe its nothing but when people give accounts there is usually some truth in them someplace. In this case though it hard to figure out what is truthful and what might not be?

Did SC remain at home all afternoon once he arrived home from work? He says he went to TMobile and we know he eventually picked up son. Where else might he have gone? Did he do any actual searching for HB/baby beyond the dumpster diving?

Did SC reach out to HB friends via text, phone or visit to see where she might be?

MOO

I've been speed reading and haven't had a chance to watch the interviews like all of you. I do have a few thoughts.

Books costing $25 - Yes, at a book fair, three books can easily cost $25! Two kids and a lot of book fairs under my belt, they have less expensive and more expensive. My kids would come home with "wish lists" of 4-5 books totaling $50! I had to give a $20 limit to each and they usually left with two books.

If she was at the book fair at 8AM, I personally don't think she was there long before returning home. Unless she was helping to run the book fair, which I highly doubt with the new baby. Did anyone confirm what time she LEFT the book fair? I know it was mentioned 8-Noon somewhere, but I'm unsure if she truly stayed until noon. When I would go in with my kids, we were in and out in 20 minutes easily.

I know it was also mentioned in one of the news stories she had her keys and phone and he thought she was just at a friends. I can see this, if I was walking to another apartment in the same complex, I would take only those two things also and leave my purse at home. What is NOT normal is leaving the diaper bag and I know we have the unconfirmed was the door open or not open???

Phone records, not so strange to me. If my husband went missing, I would probably try to get those right away also. I've read enough here to know warrants take time and I would want those records as soon as possible so I could find out who he was last talking to. We are very open in our marriage, "I'm leaving work" or "I'm headed to get groceries", etc. We know all the time what each others plans are. But....there was a time in our marriage that things weren't great at all and we rarely talked. It's hugely possible they weren't in a great place and didn't communicate much about plans so her being at a friends and not home might not be a big deal to him. But...….if they didn't communicate, why was she calling him about the $25??? That answers my question here, they did communicate.

And I have to admit, I wouldn't initially call 911 either. I would call my dad, his parents, his work, etc first to see if I could figure out where he was. My first thought would be maybe he told me and I just completely forgot. I wouldn't go to worst case scenario first. Especially if phone and keys were gone. Easy to assume she walked to her friends or friend picked her up. Again...….diaper bag would be a flag for me though. But, we also always had a few bags. One I would take to leave in my car and one to give to grandparents who watched kids during the day. She was still home on leave though so I can't imagine she was to that point yet. What I WOULD do is call his phone a thousand times seeing if he would finally answer. And I would leave VM's about how PO'd and worried I was. And I can say in the early years, my husband would NOT have had a clue about how many diaper bags we did or didn't have!

I do know my son walked away from his school his Kindergarten year. We searched and searched for probably 30 minutes (we thought he was hiding or in the bathroom) before I finally stopped to think "I need to call 911". I called my dad, but I forgot to call my husband. I was frantic! Dad lived in the neighborhood of his school so I called to tell him to stay there in case son was walking to his house. Then I was just running around searching and searching. I did not think for a minute that he actually WALKED away from school. He was too young and so many people around. He did though. Another parent saw him walking in the neighborhood and knew he was way too young and brought him back to school (yeah, so much for not getting in the car with a stranger). Point being, it's easy for all of us to "know" what normal steps taken are, but during a crisis, it's a whole different story. You never immediately think the worst.

I honestly don't know what to think of this one. They were younger, it sounds like money was probably tight, but I'm not 100% getting the feeling he did something. But I can't figure out what would have happened if he didn't because from her photos, I don't think she would leave her son.

I wonder if he's able to tell LE what keys are on her keyring? I'm guessing probably not. (I can't even match up all of the keys on my own keyring to a corresponding lock.) I keep thinking about him frantically looking in dumpsters. It bothers me. If the keys are significant to him, it just occured to me that they could be significant to someone else. I don't see it as a sign of guilt. I think he's out of his mind with worry and acting in desperation.

Has the outdoor interview of SC been deleted? At one point (I believe it’s in that second interview), when describing the morning, he says something about having told her he was finishing early. It made me wonder if he was insinuating he ‘warned’ her he’d be home early (so you’d better not be with X or have Y around, that sort of thing).

Transcript of Austin Police Department press conference Dec. 17, 2019:
(Note: I don't know the identity of the reporters who asked questions, or whether some reporters asked more than one question. I simply labelled them sequentially.)​

Det. Herries: Good afternoon. My name is Brad Herries. B-R-A-D H-E-R-R-I-E-S. I'm a detective with the Austin Police Department Violent Crimes Unit. Today I want to provide a update on the current state of our search for Heidi Broussard and Margot Carey. I'll reiterate their, their descriptions. Heidi is a 33 year old white female. She stands 5 foot 3, 150 pounds. She has dark hair with highlights in it, and Margot is now a 3 week old child. Her last doctor's appointment she was 7 pounds 7 ounces and 22 inches long. Heidi and Margot were last seen on Thursday, December 12th here in Austin Texas. It's believed that Heidi and Margot's last known location was at their apartment complex in the area of William Cannon and South First, and we believe them to be there sometime the morning of that Thursday December 12th. Heidi and Margot were reported missing to us the Austin Police Department at approximately 7:30 that night on Thursday. Patrol went to the scene, conducted an initial investigation, and contacted detectives with the Austin Police Department. Since that moment we've been working this case continually. We have asked for the help of the FBI. The FBI is sending in the CARD team, that's the child abduction response deployment team here to Austin to assist with this investigation and with this search for Heidi and for Margot. Throughout this investigation we've had the assistance of a number of units both locally, statewide, and nationally, including Austin Police Department missing persons unit, the Austin Police Department Special Investigations Unit, the Texas Department of Public Safety, the Texas Rangers, the Federal Bureau of Investigation, the Travis County Search and Rescue team, as well as the Texas Parks and Wildlife. Those units have continued to support us and continue to support us as we move on with this investigation in our search for Heidi and Margot. I want to thank the community for tips that we've received in this case. We’ve received numerous tips from all different mediums and all different sources. We ask that those tips that are made be reported to the Austin Police Department. We've seen a lot of tips that are posted online and with those tips, we may not find them we're aware of a lot of a lot of Facebook pages a lot of online channels where people are posting comments that may be relevant to our investigation. We ask that you also share those with the Austin Police Department. Our resources, we’re we're doing our best to keep up with the number of posts, the number of tips that are being posted online but we ask that you contact us the Austin Police Department at area code 512-974-5250 with any tips. If you see Heidi or Margot please contact the Austin Police Department or your local law enforcement agency if you see them out and about. We continue to search, we've been working continually since Thursday night to try and find Heidi and Margot.

Reporter1: Detective, can we ask some questions here, given where you are right now with the investigation is Shane Carey a person of interest?

Det. Herries: So we have an ongoing current investigation and I'm not ready to get into anyone that we have as a person of interest, to be perfectly honest with you, this case is unique in that we don't have a person of interest right now. We're exploring every avenue that we have and every possibility, and to be perfectly honest, anything is possible at this point. We're working down every angle to try and exclude possibilities and narrow that down to locate Margot and Heidi, and that's why we need the public's help, and if you see Margot or Heidi or have any information about their whereabouts please contact the Austin Police Department.

Reporter2: …<unintelligible> … that Heidi left on her own?

Det. Herries: It's possible that the Heidi and Margot have left on their own accord. It's also possible that there may be something nefarious or foul play involved, and to be honest, we don't know the answer to that question, and that's what we're continuing to work on as we speak right now.

Reporter3: The possiblity that Heidi could have left on her own is why the child abduction response <unintelligible>

Det. Herries: The introduction of the FBI to the investigation is to help us, and the acronyms and and titles that they use for specialized units are not an implication of the direction or, or thoughts of this investigation. We're asking for any help that we can get and the FBI is being very gracious and helping us out with with that specialized unit.

Reporter4: You named several agencies that are helping you with the search effort, but there hasn’t been visible boots on the ground that we’ve been able to see. Is there a certain area that you guys are looking into? Is there not an area? I guess, where are those boots on the ground efforts to find her happening?

Det. Herries: So ever since Thursday night there have been officers on scene at their last known locations, at areas that would make sense for them to have been out doing video canvasses, knocking on doors, talking to neighbors, and doing anything we can do to try and find the current state, current position, or current location of Heidi and Margot.

Reporter5: Can you tell us what <unintelligible> when she got back to her apartment where she was last seen?

Det. Herries: So it was released earlier on she was dropping a child off at a school here in Austin and then returns to the apartment and that's where our our investigation begins is at the time she returned to the apartment.

Reporter6: It's been it's been five days now, are you any closer to finding out what happened to her or finding the location? And what if anything have you been able to do to push the needle forward, have you recovered any new video that may be out there?

Det. Herries: So we haven't released and to be honest with you it's an ongoing investigation we will not release all the information on what we're doing right now but I can assure you that continual investigations whether that be video canvass, speaking to neighbors, family, friends, co-workers, past co-workers, anything along those lines as well as forensic searches of their digital footprint and any electronic devices are all being continually evaluated and investigated by us.

Reporter7: What can you share about any previous calls or disturbances at Heidi's apartment?

Det. Herries: So the previous calls investigations those are something I would defer, but those are part of the ongoing investigations.

Reporter8: You say that there you're still searching for her, you still assume that she is alive at this point like but the baby as well?

Det. Herries: At this time we have no reason to believe that Marty, that Margot nor Heidi are harmed. We are still looking for them in a in a search and recovery manner with them being alive. Our assumption is that they're alive and the sooner that we can find them, the better, that's why again we asked for the community's assistance, for the public's assistance, and if you see either of them, or have any information related to Margot or Heidi and their whereabouts or the circumstances surrounding their past five days, we ask that you contact the Austin Police Department.

Reporter9: Can you please confirm whether there have, or have not, actually been any domestic instances, incidents reported at that address?

Det. Herries: I’d uh I can't go into the details of that, that's part of the ongoing investigation.

Reporter10: Are you reaching out to or trying to work with any out of state law enforcement agencies <unintelligible> across state lines <unintelligible> looking into that she possibly went back home to Louisiana in the middle of this?

Det. Herries: So our partners with the Department of Public Safety are helping out associating, helping out reach out to those other states and those other law enforcement agencies to conduct those investigations that are, frankly, outside of our jurisdiction, and we are continuing to work on those angles.

Reporter11: There are a lot of questions about why there was not an Amber Alert issued when she went missing and when Margot went missing asked on our website.

Det. Herries: So an Amber Alert carries with it a very specific set of circumstances and the circumstances surrounding this offense, this this call for service, don't don't match that Amber Alert. I'll defer you to DPS for their their criteria specifically for the Amber Alert. I can tell you that it didn't match that.

Reporter12: Detective, you mentioned the fact that you had moved up the time now from 7:50 in the morning at the school to some time in the morning that the mother and child were seen at their apartment complex. Was that due to surveillance video that was on scene then?

Det. Herries: So that's just part of our ongoing investigation. We have reason to believe that both of them were back at the apartment complex after being at the school.

Reporter13: There had been some suggestion that her keys and her purse were found either in her car or in the apartment. Where were her items of personal property found?

Det. Herries: So that's part of the scene that we're processing and continuing the process as we speak and those questions I'm gonna, I’m gonna say are part of the ongoing investigation…

Reporter14: Have you been able to nail down about where Shane was on Thursday throughout the day, and at what point he got home, and all of that?

Det. Herries: The timeline of all people surrounding Heidi and Margot, whether it be family members and friends, are things that that we've been investigating and speaking to them about, and that's part of the ongoing investigation into this case.

APD Spokesperson: Thank you.

<end>

"Currently, multiple agencies are helping APD in the search including: APD's Missing Persons and Special Investigation units, the FBI's Child Abduction Response Deployment Team, Department of Public Safety, Texas Rangers, Travis County Search and Rescue and Texas Parks and Wildlife."

Parents of missing Austin mother say there's no way she and newborn left voluntarily

With only her keys and phone missing, it could be she put the baby in a sling, grabbed those items and went somewhere nearby not intending to stay long. I read LE is going door to door at the apartment complex asking to search each unit.

Has anyone searched her social media to see if she was selling items on FB or other local mothers' groups?
Wait I thought he said her phone was in the front seat?
Or was that her purse?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members