TX TX - Houston, MixedRaceFem 15-17, UP10722, 'He Smurfs Me' TShirt, Oct'12 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
syrevemy.jpg

Smurfette is on the left. Marioly Garcia on the right. This is eerily similar. Smurfette's composite is a little longer and thinner but they are a so similar..

I'm not sure what images are supposed to be here. But what I am seeing is two of the same composites of Smurfette scaled in different sizes.

@gulfcoastkat

LyssaV- I thought Marioly had a composite drawing too. That makes more sense why they look eerily similar- Houston Mom put Smurfette's photo next to Marioly! I thought it was her! I apologize!

No need to apologize! I was just confused and was looking all over for a composite of marioly for a minute there. Hopefully we will hear something about marioly soon, I think she does look rather similar to the recon.

I don't remember anyone using that site for a long time. I could've sworn we found out at least 8 months ago that there was something hinky with it. Something to do with Russians

ETA: Ohh okay, now I remember. It was because the organization that does the websites is for-profit, they try to pass themselves off as being legit (the site looks like it's run by Harris County LE, but it really doesn't seem to be) and they're not too good at keeping their site updated. The Russian thing was just that they also have two other sites, one for the Russian Red Cross (I don't know if it's actually run by the Red Cross) and another for missing Argentinian kids.

HMMM....How did we miss Monica Samantha Padilla missing in Harris county Nov 2011. 5'2", 120 lbs, 20 years old.

http://hcso.beenmissing.org/Missing...+02-20-1992+Texas+Houston+08-13-2013-12-36-59

She must have just been added recently. I am not sure who runs that page, but I read through Ali Lowitzer's entire thread the other day and remember reading that Jo Ann had to personally call LE to have info updated/added - IMO the website is something that isn't very important to LE and was likely created to satisfy concerned citizens. They gave us what we wanted, but nobody said it had to be good.

Does she have the "eye thing" or is it just the angle? Monica does seem to have a red dye in her hair, IMO.

Could just be the angle of the photo, but Dr. D has also said that the eye thing may not be as apparent as it is in the recon. I really like the shape of her face and he nose also looks very similar, the only thing that bothers me is the age. Has she been submitted?

Attachments

• smurfette with Lolita Leyva-Mendez.png
    smurfette with Lolita Leyva-Mendez.png
    131.1 KB · Views: 149
Thanks. I would swear it didn't say tests complete when I looked at it.

Thanks. I would swear it didn't say tests complete when I looked at it.

At first I just looked at your post and really thought she looked pretty similar, but after seeing that tests are complete I figured it can't be her. You have good eyes though! The face shape is very similar.

''Tests complete'' doesn't necessarily mean someone's been ruled out. There are several types of DNA (nuclear, mitochondrial, and then Y-string for guys) and they can't be compared against one another. You used to be able to see which one was entered for the UP/missing person, but the changes made to NamUs in November 2013 restrict that information to LE.

Let's say a missing person is entered into NamUs and mtDNA was submitted. Their unidentified body was also entered into NamUs recently, and LE submitted nDNA for them. Both profiles will say ''Samples submitted - tests complete'', but NamUs will not recognize the match because you cannot compare nDNA and mtDNA. They're the genetic equivalent of a tricycle and a Mack Truck.
Like I said, you used to be able to see what type of DNA was there, but now you can't. The reasoning was that LE was getting 'inundated' with tips and restricting that information would reduce the volume of incorrect leads. Which doesn't really make sense, because what you've done is probably just gotten yourself more leads that could've been avoided had the tipster known what kind of DNA was available.

What I'm saying is, don't rely on the DNA section in NamUs. It's useless and misleading in its current form. We don't know what kind of DNA was entered for them, so you should submit the potential match anyway just to be sure.

You can rely on dentals, though. If it says ''Available and entered'' under the 'Dental' section for both the UP and missing person, it's a rule-out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SapphireGem