TX TX - Jason Landry, 21, en route from TSU to home, car found crashed at Luling, 14 Dec 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
As far as timeline info I can also see these calls that could quite possibly be related to Jason. From the city site Services | City of San Marcos, TX choose "crime statistics", then san marcos, which will take you here: My Neighborhood Update From this link, use 512 Craddock Ave as search, and sort by date.

Welfare Check 500 BLK CRADDOCK AVE 12/14/20 17:43:44 N/A N/A
paleblue_MarkerO.png
Welfare Check 500 BLK CRADDOCK AVE 12/14/20 08:32:06 N/A N/A
green_MarkerP.png
Assist Other Agency 500 BLK CRADDOCK AVE 12/14/20 01:57:02 N/A N/A

Interesting, @diggndeeperstill! His car was found approximately 12:30 am 12/14 and his parents were called at approximately 2:00 am. I would guess his parents called requesting a welfare check when Jason couldn’t be located, and at some point, local LE did as well (Assist Other Agency). I’d think that would be standard operating procedure, even though local LE believed he was in the area of the accident. Anyone know for sure? I wonder if it indicates at all that his parents weren’t aware that he was (supposedly) headed home and were hoping there was some other explanation for the car being found where it was.

Then perhaps he was officially declared missing 12/19, resulting in another San Marcos check of his address?

Waze is a navigation app that is somewhat different then Google Maps or Apple Maps in that it incorporates user data and interactivity. So you can get a carpool through Waze, for instance. You can also report roadblocks, accidents, law enforcement action, and speed traps.

It has been controversial in two areas. In 2012 or so, U.S Congress wanted to hold hearings about Waze letting users report DUI checkpoints. More generally, it can send drivers on very weird routes, sometimes cutting through small neighborhoods and routes that non-locals wouldn't know about. LA Times column about that: Column: How Waze and Google Maps turned an Encino neighborhood into a speedway

I've used Waze a couple of times, and it does send me on bizarre routes, once having me get off the freeway and go through a bunch of streets before putting me back on the freeway, for no apparent reason. So I believe it when they speculate that Jason might have gotten confused or disorientated by Waze navigation.

Texas college student, 21, vanishes while driving home for Christmas with his car found in a ditch | Daily Mail Online

I’ve never heard of Waze. Is it GPS you can use from your phone or is it a separate device you set up in your vehicle? Reliability? Features that may be useful?

Family members say they think a malfunctioning traffic app caused a rerouting of his navigational system and led to him being so far off track.

'I don't know why my son was down this road my best guess, he will follow Waze wherever it sends him, he was coming home from college, but he was here on this road.

It's believed Landry was on the wrong road and was somehow he ended up on Salt Flat Road which parallels Highway 86, the route he should have taken
Waze is a cell phone app. I use it every single day — even when I don’t need directions — because it notifies me of heavy traffic, car accidents, objects in the road, road construction, speed traps, etc. Users are constantly reporting on these things, which really saves me a lot of time and aggravation.

Waze takes the quickest route by default. Although, there are settings you can adjust if you want to avoid toll roads or stay on major highways. IME, Waze has rarely steered me on “back roads” and usually sticks to the most commonly traveled route.

ETA:
I can only think of one instance when Waze took me on a backwards route. That was on a trip back home after a mandatory hurricane evacuation (from Charlotte to Myrtle Beach) due to downed trees / closed roads.

Last edited:
Google maps show his address to be a development of very nice looking places, It seems that he would have needed a couple of roommates to help pay expenses since he is a student. I wonder why we haven't heard any reference to them.

I use WAZE regularly in addition to another dashboard mounted navigation device and both or at least one of them will always notify me immediately if I don't follow their direction and will continue to notify me as they reroute me back to the original route. I don't know how he could have not realized for such a distance, that he was going the wrong way.
I still don't think it was him in the car at that point. MOO MOO MOO

The location of his phone, to me, confirms he was the driver. His phone was likely on his lap or near to it, falling and lodging itself upon impact.

It sounds like LE isn't 100% sure who the dogs tracked, to the abandoned house and the pond's edge. Could be his scent, could be the officers who walked that route.

The debris outside his car, I attribute that to maybe a basket of laundry, coming home for mom.

Perhaps he missed a turn, perhaps his app took him a back route because of an unseen back up somewhere else. Or perhaps he had an intermediate stop to make.

Did the passenger airbag deploy?

Did a different crime occur earlier and someone(s) staged the car accident as a cover? I might lean that way but again the resting place for his phone suggests he was the driver. Him, his car, his phone, all together.

A traumatic brain injury, where his only instinct was to find help. Perhaps he was able to walk farther than search parties searched....

I can't fathom grief of not knowing. People don't just evaporate. Although sometimes it sure seems like they do.

I think of Ellie Green. Bearing the added pain of the last conversation. No one ever thinks it's going to be the last word...

I imagine them all reliving every discussion, every argument, every sentence left unsaid...

I hope LE is able to piece together the details they need to be led to him soon.

It's time. It's past time.

JMO

I believe he loaded his car with laundry etc. and that he was the driver when he left home earlier in the evening. I am not convinced he was the driver or even in the car at the time of the accident.
If he packed his dirty laundry, why hasn't there been any mention of his laptop or Ipad? Has it been recovered?
If he was using WAZE on his phone, was it active when the phone was found and was the destination entered as being his family home?
Where and when did he gas up for the trip home?
Is there any indication that he had offered someone else a ride anywhere as he left home?
When did his job expect him back, or did they?
Was his gas tank filled when the car was found and was there a receipt for a fill up found? In his wallet on on the seat.
No one stages a voluntary disappearance in such a violent manner, so it seems to me he has to be either still not found or a victim of foul play earlier in the trip and he wasn't present at the accident site.

I just realized that my comments about WAZE on his phone cannot be investigated since they cannot get into his phone. MOO MOO MOO

Last edited:
I’m sort of surprised they just quit searching the area completely. I understand it’s a tough area to search—private property, uncapped wells (liability) dense brush etc. But I would constantly be thinking he was RIGHT outside the 2 mile search radius. It makes me think they got info that made it make more sense to investigate his electronics rather than search further out. They suddenly decided it was super important to know what happened leading up to the accident. It seems to me normally that wouldn’t matter if they really think he was lost, wrecked and is not too far.

Interesting, @diggndeeperstill! His car was found approximately 12:30 am 12/14 and his parents were called at approximately 2:00 am. I would guess his parents called requesting a welfare check when Jason couldn’t be located, and at some point, local LE did as well (Assist Other Agency). I’d think that would be standard operating procedure, even though local LE believed he was in the area of the accident. Anyone know for sure? I wonder if it indicates at all that his parents weren’t aware that he was (supposedly) headed home and were hoping there was some other explanation for the car being found where it was.

Then perhaps he was officially declared missing 12/19, resulting in another San Marcos check of his address?

@diggndeeperstill Wow this is very interesting. Were you able to check where Jason was living in San Marcos? I've felt since the beginning the circumstances were odd, lack of media presence by family and friends, some of the wording the dad used in the first interviews. This is very sad. I have a daughter that attends TXST so I have been following this story closely. I can't imagine how awful this is for his family.

So I keep thinking about the rear damage on his car. What was that caused by in a single car accident? I know they say there is no evidence of another car at the scene. But what if that damage (on the rear) didn't happen at that scene? What if he was rear ended elsewhere and followed/chased to where he eventually crashed? Just throwing out some ideas.
If you look at the accident pictures, it is unlikely another vehicle hit his.
The damage to the rear occurred on the side of the rear, not on the back bumper.
The impact damage looks consistent with the rear side of the car hitting a tree, not from another vehicle hitting it there.
There would be paint transfer, and debris from the other vehicle at the point of a crash if that had occurred. They'd also have noticed parts like the rear bumper cover of Jason's car missing from the accident scene. With that rear damage Jason's car couldn't have been driven far if at all. IMO - single car accident, no second vehicle involved.

@diggndeeperstill Wow this is very interesting. Were you able to check where Jason was living in San Marcos? I've felt since the beginning the circumstances were odd, lack of media presence by family and friends, some of the wording the dad used in the first interviews. This is very sad. I have a daughter that attends TXST so I have been following this story closely. I can't imagine how awful this is for his family.
I looked and it seems he was living in some apartments just west of campus.

Google maps show his address to be a development of very nice looking places, It seems that he would have needed a couple of roommates to help pay expenses since he is a student. I wonder why we haven't heard any reference to them.

I use WAZE regularly in addition to another dashboard mounted navigation device and both or at least one of them will always notify me immediately if I don't follow their direction and will continue to notify me as they reroute me back to the original route. I don't know how he could have not realized for such a distance, that he was going the wrong way.
I still don't think it was him in the car at that point. MOO MOO MOO
What happens with WAZE when you drive outside of cell coverage?

The drive from San Marcos to I 10 is a very easy drive. In fact you are on a dark road for miles, all of a sudden you see a gas station and houses. You just know that is your turn to I10. There was no reason to be on Salt Flat. Also, college students always have their laptops. Was his in the car? If he was coming home he would have had it with him.

Yes, from the ticket that was linked earlier I can tell he lived at these apartments. The address is
512 Craddock Avenue
San Marcos, TX 78666
Texas State Off Campus Housing | The Retreat Noting these apartments are all 2,3, 4 bedrooms and the complex does do roommate matching. So, I am assuming he had a roommate, but whether he was known to him or not is not known. Incidentally, I searched for crimes related to these and found this scary case. The suspect was arrested thankfully. TIMELINE: San Marcos serial rape suspect arrested | kvue.com

The drive from San Marcos to I 10 is a very easy drive. In fact you are on a dark road for miles, all of a sudden you see a gas station and houses. You just know that is your turn to I10. There was no reason to be on Salt Flat. Also, college students always have their laptops. Was his in the car? If he was coming home he would have had it with him.
Google Maps
ITA with you. When, using Google street view and coming into the intersection from the north,(his logical route down)
it is a large, well lit intersection with route signs clearly indicating he should turn right and go down to I10. I do not understand how he could miss it but he did apparently, go straight through it. There appears to be a camera at that intersection and possible security cameras (3 of them) on the church facing the sidewalk and intersection. If they are cameras, the perhaps LE now knows much more than us as to who was driving the car when it went through the intersection.

I’m one of the Waze skeptics—it sent me around in circles a few too many times.

That reminded me once when using Google maps. Getting out of my neighborhood (only 3 ways out) I knew all I needed to do was make a left onto the main road, and then needed the mapping assistance to tell me where to go next. It said "turn left, turn left, turn left, turn left, turn left, then had the remaining directions on how to get to my destination). I rolled my eyes and laughed at it telling me to go into a complete circle before getting on my way. Unsure why it did that (first time I saw that) but makes me think ANY mapping system can have errors either intermittedly, or 100% in some off-road areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
habitsofwaste