TX TX - Jason Landry, 21, enroute from TSU to home, car found crashed at Luling, 14 Dec 2020 #4

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Very interesting. The idea of him ending up in a tank brings me back to Elisa Lam's case. I wonder if it would be possible to find more info about the tanks to see if falling in one is even possible. I assume there are a lot of safety precautions with the design of the tank. Maybe with the manufacturer info it could be seen if there is a way to accidentally end up in the tank. Based on the timeline of his disappearance, I do not think he made it far (with the no foul play theory).

I'm sure on newer tanks there are all sorts of safeguards, but the lions share of tanks I saw in the area looked to be extremely old. The Salt Flat oil field was discovered in 1928 so a lot of the structures are from a time when safety precautions didn't exist.

I'm sure on newer tanks there are all sorts of safeguards, but the lions share of tanks I saw in the area looked to be extremely old. The Salt Flat oil field was discovered in 1928 so a lot of the structures are from a time when safety precautions didn't exist.
So to be clear, the tanks you saw were the above ground kind?

Great researching btw! Very helpful. The map with all the wells etc. was mind blowing! SO many. The “dry holes” caught my attention—yikes. I agree with everyone who wants all of those wells, tanks, holes etc to be searched. I remember I looked up the circumferences of the wells a while back, and they really weren’t big enough for a man to fall in or even squeeze into really. But there are many more “holes” out there besides the wells.

I've been following this case all along and it really hits home partly because Jason really reminds me of my youngest son who is away at college. I've been gathering my own data on various items and compiling it with some of the other known info just to put forth what I think could be a plausible series of events. I've put it all into one document so hopefully some of you on here can add to/take away/build on it to get us closer to finding out what happened to Jason.

Note: the PDF was too large to attach so I made a shareable link in my DropBox account
Dropbox - Jason Landry.pdf - Simplify your life

If that doesn't work or is not allowed, let me know and I can screenshot and post as images

Oh, no, not the malodorous hydrogen sulfide of rotten eggs legend.

Thank you, for this body of great work on Jason's behalf. The photos help really get the eerie feel for the treacherous area where Jason found himself.
Dropbox - Jason Landry.pdf - Simplify your life
WS JASON LANDRY TX.png

Great researching btw! Very helpful. The map with all the wells etc. was mind blowing! SO many. The “dry holes” caught my attention—yikes. I agree with everyone who wants all of those wells, tanks, holes etc to be searched. I remember I looked up the circumferences of the wells a while back, and they really weren’t big enough for a man to fall in or even squeeze into really. But there are many more “holes” out there besides the wells.

I don't agree that the holes aren't big enough for a man to fall into. I believe you said they were 18" (If I recall) and I replied back then that it was possible, but it wouldn't be graceful going down... hitting walls on all sides (or something to that effect. I don't recall my exact words and too lazy to search this site for our convo).

That is correct. To be fair though, from the road that is all you really can see. You do see a lot of low-lying (ground level) concrete structures that I assume could be well cap structure or possibly tops of underground tanks. I know enough to know that current processes use above ground tanks with an earthen containment berm around them, but I have no clue how things were done dating back to the oil fields discovery back in the 20's.

I don't agree that the holes aren't big enough for a man to fall into. I believe you said they were 18" (If I recall) and I replied back then that it was possible, but it wouldn't be graceful going down... hitting walls on all sides (or something to that effect. I don't recall my exact words and too lazy to search this site for our convo).
Haha yes I do remember your comment! Yeah, it was a while back, but I remember the site I read said the wells in the area were only a hazard for small animals and maybe hurting a leg if you stepped in one. I don’t remember the exact size. Maybe it was 18” for the upper end? (it was a range). I feel like it was smaller, but maybe not. I’ll go see what I can find....

Haha yes I do remember your comment! Yeah, it was a while back, but I remember the site I read said the wells in the area were only a hazard for small animals and maybe hurting a leg if you stepped in one. I don’t remember the exact size. Maybe it was 18” for the upper end? (it was a range). I feel like it was smaller, but maybe not. I’ll go see what I can find....

hehehe I figured my not 'gracefully' comment might ring a bell. :p

Looking forward to what you come up with!

Thanks, happyday!! 16" is still doable for an ungraceful fall/slide. Lots of banging and scraping, unfortunately. I can only speak for myself but when I try to imagine how big (or small) 16" is I come nowhere close to how large it actually is, but when I pull out a tape measure and look at the actual size of 16"... it's larger than I imagined it would be.

Bringing up the wells again is reminding me how that land is really like an obstacle course. If you were high, in the dark, possibly having a freak out, naked, and you were running. There are so many bad places you could end up, you know? Elisa Lam is a good example for sure!

It’s so frustrating because ALL of that land needs to be searched above and below the surface in every nook and cranny, every bit of water. But it’s a safety hazard and landowners/companies don’t want the liability of a bunch of volunteers running amuck. I get it, but he could very well be right there.

They had surprisingly organized a volunteer search, but it was cancelled b/c of Snowmegedon and then never rescheduled.

Thanks, happyday!! 16" is still doable for an ungraceful fall/slide. Lots of banging and scraping, unfortunately. I can only speak for myself but when I try to imagine how big (or small) 16" is I come nowhere close to how large it actually is, but when I pull out a tape measure and look at the actual size of 16"... it's larger than I imagined it would be.
It is actually doable, isn’t it? Yikes. I don’t like to think of how many little animals have ended up in those things. :(

This has been talked about numerous times. His digital footprint does not start back up 67 min later. 67 min later AFTER the digital footprint stops is when the wrecked car was found. Please note that the Fox articles have been wrong about this (maybe others as well, this is the one that comes to mind since it's been discussed a lot). Hopefully this helps.
Thank you! I was trying to type this but badly. Very concise!

Bringing up the wells again is reminding me how that land is really like an obstacle course. If you were high, in the dark, possibly having a freak out, naked, and you were running. There are so many bad places you could end up, you know? Elisa Lam is a good example for sure!

It’s so frustrating because ALL of that land needs to be searched above and below the surface in every nook and cranny, every bit of water. But it’s a safety hazard and landowners/companies don’t want the liability of a bunch of volunteers running amuck. I get it, but he could very well be right there.

They had surprisingly organized a volunteer search, but it was cancelled b/c of Snowmegedon and then never rescheduled.
Actually they did reschedule it to Friday, Saturday and Sunday Feb. 26-Feb. 28....Texsar is the group who conducted the search with over 100 volunteers, horses, K9’s, helicopters and drones....

Actually they did reschedule it to Friday, Saturday and Sunday Feb. 26-Feb. 28....Texsar is the group who conducted the search with over 100 volunteers, horses, K9’s, helicopters and drones....
Oh yeah, I remember that they did another search then, but it did have volunteers? I didn’t realize that. I thought it was another professionals only search. My bad.

Kind of OT but I wonder how they do searches with horses in oil fields? It seems kind of dangerous with all those holes, doesn’t it? I mean, they’re probably pretty obvious during the day, but I keep thinking about how we were in a bad drought and the barn where we boarded our horse had huge cracks in the dirt in some of the fields, and it wasn’t the best idea to ride around there.

To be clear, it is in Jim's Timeline where Jim places Jason dropping items at 11:42pm.

Yes, 11:42pm is Jim's estimation and we discern the data with as much weight as necessary to either agree or not agree, plus or minus.
View attachment 290658

For what its worth, according to Google Maps, walking directions 900 ft south could be covered in three minutes. So if Jim's timeline estimates 11:39 p.m. when Jason exits the car and leaves the crash site, I would agree on 11.42 p.m. is a reasonable time to put when he dropped the backpack/clothing.

The write up is excellent, especially the bit about tracking the cell phone signal while driving north. it's exactly the type of on-the-ground observation/info that we were lacking.

I'm not sure if there is any way to more precisely pinpoint when he may have crashed. Direct driving directions from the intersection to the crash site is five minutes. Oil worker passed by at 11:30 p.m. so I think it's a reasonable to guess a few minutes after that. Since so much time passed from when the VFF and LE got on the scene, I don't believe, say, the engine block can be used to estimate time of crash. JMO, of course.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members