TX TX - Jason Landry, 21, enroute from TSU to home, car found crashed at Luling, 14 Dec 2020 #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think we know the phone loses signal. It's possible the "digital footprint ends" could mean that Jason never interacted with the phone again.
This statement could have several meanings and I've never heard it asked what the person making the comment meant.

I don't think we know the phone loses signal...This statement could have several meanings and I've never heard it asked what the person making the comment meant.

Sorry to jump in here without reading all the comments -- just wanted to mention that it states in this article:

"But it’s the approximate 67-minute window between Jason’s last digital footprint and the discovery of the crash scene that investigators are focusing on. Investigators say Jason’s phone, which was found between the driver’s seat and center console, was on and had a signal, so they are still trying to figure out why it appears unused since the intersection at Magnolia Avenue.

“There are 67 minutes where we just don't know what happened,” Jason’s father told Dateline. “Was someone chasing him? Maybe. Did he just wreck and get out to find help? We don’t know. Anything is a possibility.”"

I don't understand why it's considered weird that he wasn't using his phone for 67 minutes in the car. Isn't that what people are supposed to do -- NOT be using their cellphone while driving? Does it mean he or someone else would've had to have deliberately turned off all apps on the phone at that point so no one could collect any data on what he was doing from then on? If so, that suggests some sort of foul play or premeditated act.

Has there been any mention of what information was retrieved from the Event Data Recorder - EDR - on Jasons Nissan Altima?
It would record data before, during and after the crash.
Speed, rapid acceleration/ deceleration, braking, whether the driver or front passenger was wearing their seat belts. Maybe more info but I’m not sure.

Sorry to jump in here without reading all the comments -- just wanted to mention that it states in this article:

"But it’s the approximate 67-minute window between Jason’s last digital footprint and the discovery of the crash scene that investigators are focusing on. Investigators say Jason’s phone, which was found between the driver’s seat and center console, was on and had a signal, so they are still trying to figure out why it appears unused since the intersection at Magnolia Avenue.

“There are 67 minutes where we just don't know what happened,” Jason’s father told Dateline. “Was someone chasing him? Maybe. Did he just wreck and get out to find help? We don’t know. Anything is a possibility.”"

I don't understand why it's considered weird that he wasn't using his phone for 67 minutes in the car. Isn't that what people are supposed to do -- NOT be using their cellphone while driving? Does it mean he or someone else would've had to have deliberately turned off all apps on the phone at that point so no one could collect any data on what he was doing from then on? If so, that suggests some sort of foul play or premeditated act.

IMO, it's "weird" (your terminology) that he was using his phone traveling down the highway, yet stopped at the intersection before the car travels straight and drives into the boonies. If he was doing what he should (not texting, etc., while driving) I find it more "weird" that he stopped doing anything when off a main road, yet was doing what he shouldn't (texting, etc.), while driving on a main road.

IOW.... he wasn't using his phone in an area that had less risk (dark, no one else on the road), yet he was using it while traveling down a main road with (likely) other cars around him.

[Snipped for focus]

The weird part is that Jason's movements cannot be accounted for in that gap. They have released fairly detailed info about when he left and when he passed certain areas, but nothing after that intersection. SFR isn't a complete cellular dead zone. It's been debated a few times whether the wording means "turned on airplane mode" or just "no activity." What happened in those 67 minutes to reach an area that's no more than 10 minutes away by car?

Has there been any mention of what information was retrieved from the Event Data Recorder - EDR - on Jasons Nissan Altima?
It would record data before, during and after the crash.
Speed, rapid acceleration/ deceleration, braking, whether the driver or front passenger was wearing their seat belts. Maybe more info but I’m not sure.

Jason's car was a 2003 model. When did Nissan start installing EDR's in their Altima models?

The weird part is that Jason's movements cannot be accounted for in that gap. They have released fairly detailed info about when he left and when he passed certain areas, but nothing after that intersection. SFR isn't a complete cellular dead zone. It's been debated a few times whether the wording means "turned on airplane mode" or just "no activity." What happened in those 67 minutes to reach an area that's no more than 10 minutes away by car?

Thank you for explaining! Now I understand why this thread is so long. Sounds very complicated and confusing, especially for someone like me who isn't at all tech savvy when it comes to cell phone data stuff.

Gemmie said:
I find it more "weird" that he stopped doing anything when off a main road, yet was doing what he shouldn't (texting, etc.), while driving on a main road.

I didn't realize this, thanks! Yes, that is absolutely weird!

[Snipped for focus]

Jason's car was a 2003 model. When did Nissan start installing EDR's in their Altima models?
JL could have gotten to the crash site in 10 minutes. We don't know how long it took him to get there. The car was found by the vff 67 minutes later. Just want to clarify. MOO

Thank you for explaining! Now I understand why this thread is so long. Sounds very complicated and confusing, especially for someone like me who isn't at all tech savvy when it comes to cell phone data stuff.

Jason was also using the Waze navigation app until that intersection. Even if he wasn't actively using the phone to text or whatever, it would still show as being "in use" because of the navigation app. For whatever reason, he stopped using Waze at that intersection and that's when we lose trace of him until the crash.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but weren't his clothes found in/around the car, hence why we believe he was in the car at the time (driving or passenger)?

No, the clothing (believed to be what he was wearing) was found 900 ft south of the accident site.

His bag with his PS4, his beta fish, and iPhone being in the car is what places him at the scene.

Jason's Namus states he disappeared on tribal land. Does this make it harder to find him? Are the rules different on tribal than normal land? When I read details about the case, one thing that sticks with me is the passenger door is locked. I don't know why this small detail is always in his information. Anyone have any guesses?

No, the clothing (believed to be what he was wearing) was found 900 ft south of the accident site.

His bag with his PS4, his beta fish, and iPhone being in the car is what places him at the scene.

Each set of items was found approx 900 ft from collision site... separate from each other.

Clothing one direction
Other items other direction (not inside the car)

*See the officer's dash/body cam images

Caldwell County Sheriff's Office

Jason's Namus states he disappeared on tribal land. Does this make it harder to find him? Are the rules different on tribal than normal land? When I read details about the case, one thing that sticks with me is the passenger door is locked. I don't know why this small detail is always in his information. Anyone have any guesses?

A road next to an oil field is tribal land? What tribe? Do you have further details or a link to your information?

Each set of items was found approx 900 ft from collision site... separate from each other.

Clothing one direction
Other items other direction (not inside the car)

*See the officer's dash/body cam images

Caldwell County Sheriff's Office

Yes, sorry for the confusion. I meant the phone in the car, the bag, and the fish all indicated that it was Jason in the car. I didn't mean to imply the bag and fish were found in the car.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeDee214