TX TX - Jason Landry Missing After Car Found Crashed Near Luling, Dec 2020 #7

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Short Version of the post below. If you would like to donate to our volunteer moderator staff please do so at Pay Websleuths.com using PayPal.Me
Venmo name Tricia-Griffith-14
OR
Cash App $tgrif14

Hey Everyone,
Forgive me for interrupting but this is important. Please do not post questions about this post on this thread. Go to THIS THREAD to ask questions.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!

One of the biggest things I am thankful for is our wonderful moderators on Websleuths.

On a holiday like today, our mods will be here working hard to make sure your experience on Websleuths is the best experience you can have on any discussion forum,

You don't see the drama and the problems that our mods handle every minute on Websleuths. That's because our mods work to make sure to solve problems quickly so you can get back to discussing true crime;

If you can spare a dollar or more to donate to our moderators I would greatly appreciate it.

All of the money raised will go to the moderators.

If you are thankful to our mods and can make a donation that would be wonderful.
If you would like to donate to our volunteer moderator staff please do so at Pay Websleuths.com using PayPal.Me
Venmo name Tricia-Griffith-14
OR
Cash App $tgrif14

If you cannot make a donation could you please go to THIS THREAD and leave a kind comment for our mods.

In closing I want you to know how thankful I am to all of you who participate on Websleuths. You make Websleuths the most respected true crime discussion forum on the Internet. Thank you for all you do.

Sincerely,
Tricia Griffith/Owner Websleuths.com

This news story was just released yesterday. I suppose it could be true what his family thinks because if he met someone he knew at the intersection then LE could possibly say that person was allowed to drive the vehicle. And the person could give any reason why they were not involved. However, that aspect would still need CCTV footage to corroborate that part, though, I am assuming. MOO. I once posted on Jason's thread if Jason was undressed naked as we are to believe then IMO he would have been noticed in a residential area if he went back towards town. So then where did he go if it wasn't back towards town?

I have been looking around at the map of the accident site, the house they tracked him to and such, and I think your theory of light is a good one. I was also thinking that possibly this road was obviously not a busy one and I wondered what the chances are that Jason tried to walk over to highway 86 to see if he could flag someone down? 86 is a paved road and there is a dirt road/trail leading from about the house area :

View attachment 381888
Its a good suggestion IMO. The only thing though is would someone have stopped for Jason even though he was undressed and perhaps running? If its a highway then I would imagine it would be busy, but at that time of night may not so much, also the pandemic may or may not have played a part with people being on the highway that night driving. So Jason may have had a chance to run across the highway and perhaps in that direction? MOO. Also IMO if someone saw on the highway for sure they would have called 9-11.

"Abel Peña, who's been investigating crimes for 27 years, said there were multiple red flags and they believe Jason's clothes and other belongings in the middle of the road could have been staged.
"I think the biggest red flags, for us initially, were the clothes just being laid where they were placed," Peña told KHOU 11. “The more we examined it, the more we ran it by some of our team, we all agreed that it appeared like it was staged.”
He said witnesses have also raised doubts about whether Jason was actually behind the wheel of the vehicle when it crashed."

"Tuesday marks two years since Texas State University student Jason Landry’s car was found crashed on a rural road near Luling and he was reported missing."

Its a good suggestion IMO. The only thing though is would someone have stopped for Jason even though he was undressed and perhaps running? If its a highway then I would imagine it would be busy, but at that time of night may not so much, also the pandemic may or may not have played a part with people being on the highway that night driving. So Jason may have had a chance to run across the highway and perhaps in that direction? MOO. Also IMO if someone saw on the highway for sure they would have called 9-11.

That is true. Mostly, I was just thinking that if he did go that way, it may expand their search? They may have thought of this already.

Thank you for sharing the video above @fred&edna
MOO I have not thought that Jason was ever out there, especially when Tim Miller and his TES team searched for 9 days/nights and weren't able to locate Jason.
Mr. Miller packing up and leaving, after informing LE to let him know when they had a specific location to search. Stating that he'd come back and search when a solid possibility of him being there was found.

TexasEquisearch is excellent at the job. They don't just get tired and go home and get in their beds and fall asleep lickety split, unlike the Highway Patrolman did.

I believe this young man exited his vehicle after the wreck, was likely impaired as he removed his clothing and dropped his fish. That fish is a big clue to me. He then walked off and succumbed to the weather conditions. He will probably be recovered (by accident) under thick underbrush.

Body recovery is difficult. It’s often an exercise in clue awareness. Being quiet and methodical as the baseline environment is observed and studied.

Even experienced & heavily funded SAR groups miss bodies/remains.

I don’t see a scenario where that was not Jason that night. Families of the missing are tortured with the unknown, desperate to find their loved one that it’s sometimes easier to create suspicion around the event that face the likely truth. My unpopular opinion.

So the results of the geofencing warrant support a single car crash. Jason’s adrenaline was probably so high after the crash that he may have travelled farther than we think. Or he could be close by - maybe he was afraid and really hid himself good. As much as I wanted to go there, I never really suspected foul play in this case.

Texas OAG Update - Dec 14, 2022;
Story published 12-26-22

• "OAG’s Cold Case and Missing Persons Unit has conducted a thorough review of all previously known credible information
  • "interviewed multiple witnesses, consulted with experts in digital forensics and accident reconstruction, and
  • "obtained a geofence search warrant* near the area where Mr. Landry’s vehicle was found
  • "OAG has turned over all locational data and cell phone data to an independent phone expert who is analyzing the data for any information that may have been missed by investigators or was otherwise not previously discovered
  • "nothing else was found on Landry’s social media, cellphone or other electronic devices that hint at him planning to meet someone in Luling, and there’s no evidence supporting the purchase or sale of narcotics
* "The search warrant yielded no activity near the crash site and did not provide any additional information" per OAG

I have been looking around at the map of the accident site, the house they tracked him to and such, and I think your theory of light is a good one. I was also thinking that possibly this road was obviously not a busy one and I wondered what the chances are that Jason tried to walk over to highway 86 to see if he could flag someone down? 86 is a paved road and there is a dirt road/trail leading from about the house area :

View attachment 381888
I can attest to that intersection being a busy one but salt flat road is NOT a busy throughway. It also turns to gravel rather quickly and the curve sneaks up and even while expecting it, I still drifted a bit. It’s absolutely pitch black, even looking into the brush on the side of the roads… though I’m not sure what the moon was like that night. The brush around nearby is rather thick and seems unforgiving as well. And it’s always been my feeling that he succumb to the elements that night and either hogs or coyotes may have spread his remains after the fact, which would be at the bottom of the brush. Not at all comparing him to trash but for the sake of the example, trash seems to get tangled up out there so it’s my fear that it’ll take a miracle to find him.

Last edited:
I can attest to that intersection being a busy one but salt flat road is NOT a busy throughway. It also turns to gravel rather quickly and the curve sneaks up and even while expecting it, I still drifted a bit. It’s absolutely pitch black, even looking into the brush on the side of the roads… though I’m not sure what the moon was like that night. The brush around nearby is rather thick and seems unforgiving as well. And it’s always been my feeling that he succumb to the elements that night and either hogs or coyotes may have spread his remains after the fact, which would be at the bottom of the brush. Not at all comparing him to trash but for the sake of the example, trash seems to get tangled up out there so it’s my fear that it’ll take a miracle to find him.
New Moon phase that night so no moon was visible. When did you travel it? I haven't done so but looking at the area on Google Earth, the desolation is the thing that stands out.

If your car spins out, leaving you cold, barefoot, naked, very alone & likely disoriented in almost complete darkness except for faint distant lights, where are you going to go?

Direction of travel is most critical.

MOO

This youtube represents about 11 mins of dash cam released by CCSO on the actual night JL crashed and vanished. It's a good reference for how dark and desolate the dirt roadway was on the night of the crash.

There's also another dashcam video posted on earlier threads -- about 50 mins by the Tx Trooper approaching the crash on Salt Flat Rd and meeting the off-duty firefighter that first came upon the crash.

I agree and believe most of the damage that is seen in the tow yard was caused by the wrecker getting the vehicle out
There is video of the car being towed, which I have viewed. I don't think the tow did any damage to the car unless it was underneath winching it.

This car spun off the road, did a 360 degree turn in the opposite direction it was traveling & hit a tree on the back of the driver's rear side, coming to rest relatively parallel to a barbed wire fence. The rear window likely cracked due to the force of impact with the tree. Jason is thought to have exited from the driver's side door.

Open to factual correction. I believe the tire tracks on the road & position of the car when found support this.

MOO

There is video of the car being towed, which I have viewed. I don't think the tow did any damage to the car unless it was underneath winching it.

This car spun off the road, did a 360 degree turn in the opposite direction it was traveling & hit a tree on the back of the driver's rear side, coming to rest relatively parallel to a barbed wire fence. The rear window likely cracked due to the force of impact with the tree. Jason is thought to have exited from the driver's side door.

Open to factual correction. I believe the tire tracks on the road & position of the car when found support this.

MOO
I agree 100% this is what occurred, you can see clear yawing as it was sliding after the curve in the road. I was referring to the comments that believe the car was struck from behind due to more damage being visible when it was sitting in the tow yard compared to up against the fence

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Artificiallife86
Back