TX TX - Jason Landry Missing After Car Found Crashed Near Luling, Dec 2020 #7

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Been following this case for a while. Here’s some quick notes.

Yellow legal pad

At 5:20 into the sixth video on this Fox7 Austin news article, the Caldwell County Sheriff officer’s body cam shows the officer stop to inspect a yellow legal pad laying in the road. The officer must not have thought it important because he kicks it with his foot as if to see what’s under it, then drives off. I believe this is the location: 29.74407171653296, -97.61232504639271.

It could be nothing, but it could also be something. If it was Jason’s, it could be change his assumed last known location (which I believe is his clothes), affecting search probabilities. It could also be an attempt by Jason to lay down some sort of breadcrumb trail for himself or for people looking for him. If it was someone else’s notepad, it could have fallen out of their vehicle unnoticed when they were in a hurry to help / hurt Jason.

Order of Jason’s items found

This is the order of Jason’s items found in the road based on the body and dash cam footage released. Assuming that the order of the items shown in the video is the order in which Jason discarded them, I believe this to be consistent with paradoxical undressing related to hypothermia.
  1. backpack
  2. shirt
  3. flip flops
  4. shorts
  5. underwear
  6. notepad ? (not sure if this was Jason’s)

Thoughts on hypothermia theory

I believe this to be the most likely cause of Jason’s disappearance. Here’s why:
  • Temperature was around 40F and reportedly damp and windy that night.
  • Head trauma and internal bleeding from a car wreck can also cause hypothermia.
  • Consumption of alcohol increases susceptibility to hypothermia and paradoxical undressing (1).
  • Some hallucinogenic and anti-psychotic drugs can increase susceptibility hypothermia (2).
  • More than a few people have died from exposure after a wreck and apparent brain trauma.
(1) The volunteer firefighter that first arrived at the scene of the wreck told dispatch that one of Jason’s cups smelled like alcohol and that his car smelled like cannabis smoke.

(2) There’s no evidence or confirmation that I’ve scene that Jason was taking anti-psychotic drugs; however, Jason’s friend’s comments about the video call they had before his disappearance suggest that Jason was high on some sort of substance and that he was definitely interested in hallucinogens. Some people who experiment with hallucinogens take anti-psychotic drugs as "trip killers" to stop bad trips. If Jason was tripping on the phone with his friend and took a "trip killer" before making his drive, or was just taking anti-psychotics by themselves, that could make him more susceptible to hypothermia. Taking a hallucinogen before driving would also make him more susceptible to crashing his car.

Thoughts on why he hasn’t been found

The body and dash cam footage released shows that the officers that arrived on scene looked up and down salt flat road for Jason several times and made efforts to contact family and school regarding his whereabouts; however it was extremely dark and rural and the road is flanked by tall grass that is waste high in places. It would have been very easy for him to pass out in the grass beside the road or in field and not be seen by anyone. His Dad went to search for him in the morning, but as far as I know, there were no large-scale searches performed until weeks or months later -- this is enough time make evidence / remains in that part of TX very, very difficult to find. A searcher also explained that the fumes and gasses from the oil wells in the area interfered with their search dogs’ abilities to find a scent.

Resources

I also believe this is the most likely scenario given the available facts/evidence. Paradoxical undressing happens in the final stages of severe hypothermia before death. I couldn't find a single case where anyone survived beyond this stage of hypothermia. If an individual's judgement is that impaired, they're not going to follow roads or distant lights on the horizon. The only thing that comes between paradoxical undressing and death is a behavior known as terminal burrowing. Terminal burrowing behavior isn't widely studied or well-understood, but researchers describe it as an autonomous process of the brain stem, which is triggered in the final state of hypothermia and produces a primitive burrowing-like behavior of protection, as seen in hibernating mammals. Hypothermia victims are often found in positions which could only be reached by crawling on all fours or flat on the body, resulting in abrasions to the knees, elbows, etc. This crawling happens after undressing, because abrasions are found on the skin with no damage to the clothing.
I do not believe Jason Landry went far from the crash site if his judgement was impaired by extreme hypothermia, injuries, alcohol and/or some other substance. He was most likely in the final stages of extreme hypothermia when he exited the car and removed his clothes so he wouldn't have followed roads or lights on the horizon. If the human body is at a point where autonomous processes have taken over, then I would be looking in the thickest brush/woods in the immediate vicinity of the crash site. Under logs, fallen trees, sheds, barns, outbuildings, trailers, etc... In other words the most difficult places to access. Plum Creek located about 3/4 mile east of the crash site is another area that should be searched.

What is this about a yellow legal pad?
Been following this case for a while. Here’s some quick notes.

Yellow legal pad

At 5:20 into the sixth video on this Fox7 Austin news article, the Caldwell County Sheriff officer’s body cam shows the officer stop to inspect a yellow legal pad laying in the road. The officer must not have thought it important because he kicks it with his foot as if to see what’s under it, then drives off. I believe this is the location: 29.74407171653296, -97.61232504639271.

It could be nothing, but it could also be something. If it was Jason’s, it could be change his assumed last known location (which I believe is his clothes), affecting search probabilities. It could also be an attempt by Jason to lay down some sort of breadcrumb trail for himself or for people looking for him. If it was someone else’s notepad, it could have fallen out of their vehicle unnoticed when they were in a hurry to help / hurt Jason.

Order of Jason’s items found

This is the order of Jason’s items found in the road based on the body and dash cam footage released. Assuming that the order of the items shown in the video is the order in which Jason discarded them, I believe this to be consistent with paradoxical undressing related to hypothermia.
  1. backpack
  2. shirt
  3. flip flops
  4. shorts
  5. underwear
  6. notepad ? (not sure if this was Jason’s)

Thoughts on hypothermia theory

I believe this to be the most likely cause of Jason’s disappearance. Here’s why:
  • Temperature was around 40F and reportedly damp and windy that night.
  • Head trauma and internal bleeding from a car wreck can also cause hypothermia.
  • Consumption of alcohol increases susceptibility to hypothermia and paradoxical undressing (1).
  • Some hallucinogenic and anti-psychotic drugs can increase susceptibility hypothermia (2).
  • More than a few people have died from exposure after a wreck and apparent brain trauma.
(1) The volunteer firefighter that first arrived at the scene of the wreck told dispatch that one of Jason’s cups smelled like alcohol and that his car smelled like cannabis smoke.

(2) There’s no evidence or confirmation that I’ve scene that Jason was taking anti-psychotic drugs; however, Jason’s friend’s comments about the video call they had before his disappearance suggest that Jason was high on some sort of substance and that he was definitely interested in hallucinogens. Some people who experiment with hallucinogens take anti-psychotic drugs as "trip killers" to stop bad trips. If Jason was tripping on the phone with his friend and took a "trip killer" before making his drive, or was just taking anti-psychotics by themselves, that could make him more susceptible to hypothermia. Taking a hallucinogen before driving would also make him more susceptible to crashing his car.

Thoughts on why he hasn’t been found

The body and dash cam footage released shows that the officers that arrived on scene looked up and down salt flat road for Jason several times and made efforts to contact family and school regarding his whereabouts; however it was extremely dark and rural and the road is flanked by tall grass that is waste high in places. It would have been very easy for him to pass out in the grass beside the road or in field and not be seen by anyone. His Dad went to search for him in the morning, but as far as I know, there were no large-scale searches performed until weeks or months later -- this is enough time make evidence / remains in that part of TX very, very difficult to find. A searcher also explained that the fumes and gasses from the oil wells in the area interfered with their search dogs’ abilities to find a scent.

Resources

First thing mentioned in this post.

ONGOING SEARCH EFFORTS

Saturday, January 21:
“This search is part of the ongoing efforts of volunteers for Jason Landry and his family … Each search is strategically planned, and the efforts will continue until Jason is found,” search coordinators said.

Roughly 30 volunteers participated in the search, among them were at least six professional dog handlers with human remains search dogs, according to organizers.

GREAT NEWS - I wish them success!

Putting this here even thought they don't think it's Jason.

Pictures of the remains were sent to the Attorney General's office cold case unit who used anthropologists to determine the two are likely not related.

Putting this here even thought they don't think it's Jason.

Pictures of the remains were sent to the Attorney General's office cold case unit who used anthropologists to determine the two are likely not related.

Whoever it is, someone's been found!

Dogs continue to amaze!

JMO

"Texas Search and Rescue, also known as TEXSAR, was requested to conduct a search of the area to find the rest of the body. At last report, nothing else was found.

All recovered skeletal remains will be submitted to the University of North Texas Center for Human Identification for further examination.

The investigation is ongoing."

Hackberry St. looks to be with the city limits of Luling on the west side of Hwy 183, so a few miles from the crash site of Jason's car.

I hope they can expedite examination & findings about the skull.

MOO

"Texas Search and Rescue, also known as TEXSAR, was requested to conduct a search of the area to find the rest of the body. At last report, nothing else was found.

All recovered skeletal remains will be submitted to the University of North Texas Center for Human Identification for further examination.

The investigation is ongoing."

Hackberry St. looks to be with the city limits of Luling on the west side of Hwy 183, so a few miles from the crash site of Jason's car.

I hope they can expedite examination & findings about the skull.

MOO

The Find Jason Landry FB page has posted/commented about this and said that it is someone else, not Jason. Log in or sign up to view

ETA: though they don't directly name Jason, what the Find Jason Landry page is referring to is mentioned in this paragraph:

Two anthropologists studied the photos and said they do not believe the remains are related to the “aforementioned missing person case.”

How do they know so quickly these remains are not related to Jason? If they know it is female, why won’t they just say that? Or maybe they can tell it’s really really old? And how are human remains found by a dog not suspicious? That seems suspicious to me!
I’m sure they know it’s not him for good reason, but it’s odd.

“At this time the scene does not appear to be suspicious in nature and the sex and race of the subject is not known,” police said.

How do they know so quickly these remains are not related to Jason? If they know it is female, why won’t they just say that? Or maybe they can tell it’s really really old? And how are human remains found by a dog not suspicious? That seems suspicious to me!

“At this time the scene does not appear to be suspicious in nature and the sex and race of the subject is not known,” police said.

They could have done a very fast check with his dental records and ruled him out—the dog found his skull.

On the other hand, Luling has a population of about 5000—just how many missing people would we expect there?

And an abandoned house a few miles away sounds quite plausible.

I assume that ‘not suspicious’ means that there’s no signs of a violent death, and no indication that the body was transported by another person who r hidden in any way?

Finding Jason Landry FB page says forensic anthropologists have ruled Jason out through dental records.

They could have done a very fast check with his dental records and ruled him out—the dog found his skull.

On the other hand, Luling has a population of about 5000—just how many missing people would we expect there?

And an abandoned house a few miles away sounds quite plausible.

I assume that ‘not suspicious’ means that there’s no signs of a violent death, and no indication that the body was transported by another person who r hidden in any way?
Yeah it doesn’t seem like bodies would be turning up often in such a tiny town. But I guess it could be from a long, long time ago or someone not from the area. Just surprised me!

The dog had been bringing bones back to the house for almost a week, but the homeowner assumed they were the remains of some animal that died near the property, the Luling Police Department said in a Feb. 11 release. But when the family saw a human skull lying in the front yard, they dialed 911. Investigators searched the area, locating the rest of the remains in an abandoned building near the family’s home, police said. This is where the dog had been going.

Two experts independently examined the remains and “they do not believe that (the) recovered remains are related to the aforementioned missing person case,” the release said. The remains have not been identified — even the sex of the deceased is currently unknown — but the scene was not “suspicious in nature,” police said. The investigation is still underway. Luling is roughly 44 miles south of downtown Austin.

I love this dog's hunt drive.

Actually, pet dogs scavenging human bones cannot be underestimated. Dogs have been known to carry bones 1/4 mile away from the original body site back home. IMO

I love this dog's hunt drive.

Actually, pet dogs scavenging human bones cannot be underestimated. Dogs have been known to carry bones 1/4 mile away from the original body site back home. IMO
Good morning K9Enzo thanks for sharing that interesting bit of knowledge with us.
I have been wanting to get your personal opinion and instincts on the searches that have been performed in search of Jason Landry. If you don't mind of course.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Artificiallife86
Back