TX TX - Jason Landry Missing After Car Found Crashed Near Luling, Dec 2020 #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Here’s a screenshot of that letter that Peña referenced in the Disappeared episode about JL. I think it was just intriguing to me because it got me thinking about a whole different view of the case.

Now if anybody is following the case of Michelle Reynolds , the Alvin teacher who went missing and was found on video walking away from her car on the streets of New Orleans, her phone and credit cards were found in her car. A person working the case said that when foul play is involved usually the victims phone is destroyed. And we all know JL phone was in his car.

And that’s why we’re all here still talking about the case over a year and a half later because there are just so many possible scenarios. And so much mystery.

<modsnip: rumors>
Thanks! Everything in that letter that might possibly be of any use at all has been blacked out, but LE and hopefully (but not surely) the family has access to the blacked out portions.

Thanks! Everything in that letter that might possibly be of any use at all has been blacked out, but LE and hopefully (but not surely) the family has access to the blacked out portions.

The letter was blacked out during the main part of the episode, however, at the very end when they did a story recap they flashed on the letter again and it was not blacked out at all. I paused it and read it. Names and details were included.

Was this done on purpose or was it accidental? Will it be removed in future airings? I have no idea. But, if by chance the family didn’t have some of the info, they do now.

You’re a young firefighter driving home from the station. You’re driving down a road you’ve driven down many times before. There’s never anyone on it this late at night -- you can go as fast as you want. You’re enjoying the thrill of speeding around turns on the dark road. Suddenly you round a corner to see a man right in front of you. You don’t have time to react. It was an accident. There’s no reason your life needs to be ruined. What’s done is done. You decide to cover it up.

I’ll let you fill in the rest. Obviously, this is 100% pure tinfoil hat speculation on my part and there is 0 evidence that the VFF or anyone else was involved in Jason’s disappearance. Still, I would be interested to see evidence that 100% ruled this out.
I can think of numerous cases where someone has hit a pedestrian or a cyclist and left them there to die. They don't cover up their crime; they just flee. You don't need to cover anything up. There's no lights, no cameras, no people, no other cars. Just you and a dead person. Any damage to a vehicle can be passed off as hitting a deer or a dog.

In your scenario, though, based on the high rate of speed, it's a good bet that the individual would be thrown clear of the road languishing 100 feet or more away from the point of impact. You wouldn't need to hide the body.

However, if the victim is located and there are paint chips on the body (can be identified by car manufacturer as well as the colour, model and year, oops), broken headlight glass, or evidence of human dna on your vehicle you are in deep doodoo.

The letter was blacked out during the main part of the episode, however, at the very end when they did a story recap they flashed on the letter again and it was not blacked out at all. I paused it and read it. Names and details were included.

Was this done on purpose or was it accidental? Will it be removed in future airings? I have no idea. But, if by chance the family didn’t have some of the info, they do now.
Oooh I’ll have to go back and watch again. I was watching on my iPad and paused twice to read the blacked out letter. I don’t remember seeing the entire letter shown but I also think I didn’t get to finish the episode. It kept freezing on those damn 2-3 minute commercials.

I've been following this case pretty much ever since I heard about it and I really, really liked the Disappeared episode about Jason. Everything is speculation, but it certainly presented another possibility.

I can understand when LE rolled up, that their immediate thought was this was a one vehicle accident and the driver fled the scene. College kid, smoking pot, jumps out of the car, throws stuff all over the road and he's picked up a buddy and hiding from his parents. I can also see how they could've also thought it was a stolen, crashed and dumped vehicle because of SFR being such a desolate location. But after the information that Pena shared in Disappeared, I can now see how there could've been something more sinister happen to JL as he went through that intersection at Luling. Luling is very close to I-10 and I know where I live in Houston, TX, I learned that 1-10 is a very well known human trafficking route. Could that have happened, maybe, maybe not. Again, many different possible scenarios here.

Not sure if anyone is aware that there was another recent search for JL near the crash site: Jason Landry: Search for missing Texas State student continues in Luling

I pray that somehow, someway he will be found.

There is another old case, not sure if it was ever even discussed on here because its from such a long time ago about a missing person being found years later near where an area was previously searched. Dennis Graham, a 37 year old man from Beaumont, vanished in the early morning hours after coming home from a trip to Houston. His wife was told by LE that "people abandon their families all the time" when she reported him missing in April 1995. Fast forward to 2004 or 2005 and a man driving a pickup truck goes over the railing on the Turtle Bayou bridge and when the dive team and recovery crew goes to pull his truck out of the water, they instead pull a Green Mazda containing skeletal remains, the truck belonging to Dennis Graham. His remains were later ID'd and his wife finally had closure after almost 10 years of him being missing. His wife and friends actually used poles to try to search the waters at Turtle Bayou bridge, but they found nothing. He was right there all the time and it was by another similar accident that he was finally found.

Here's the link to the story if anyone wants to read it. This story was what got me captivated by missing person cases:

Just an observation. Unless Jason was abducted, pursued or encountered some other bad actor, do the reasons why his car ended up where it did really matter? IMO we lose focus when we analyze much of what has been thoroughly discussed months ago. I have contributed to that, so my bad, too!

I believe Jason walked into that tall brush & his remains are still hidden there.

I wish we could find some technology to enhance the probability of finding his remains. They tried analyzing satellite shots of the terrain, did multiple horse & ground searches & sadly nothing.

MOO
Technology was used. Drones, and software to analyze those images.

See Project Absentis’ post about the letter .

Quoted from the Facebook page.
There’s been some chatter about the letter that was depicted towards the end of the episode of “Disappeared”. The letter below was recreated by the art department of the show, and yes, names/locations, etc were changed.

What is most important is the proper agency has a copy of the letter.

Technology was used. Drones, and software to analyze those images.

See Project Absentis’ post about the letter .

Quoted from the Facebook page.
There’s been some chatter about the letter that was depicted towards the end of the episode of “Disappeared”. The letter below was recreated by the art department of the show, and yes, names/locations, etc were changed.

What is most important is the proper agency has a copy of the letter.
I didn’t realize it was a recreation of the letter because they showed pictures of the real evidence- the shirt and underwear that JL was wearing as well as the blunts in the medicine bottle. But interesting to know. Thank you!

LE could collect DNA at every site they attend but what is the criteria they use to collect it? And what do they compare it to? All of Jason's friends who probably were passengers in his vehicle on a regular basis? Family members? The volunteer FF who appears to be first at the scene?

There could be thirty samples of dna found in a vehicle that are not related to any crime. In the Susan Morphew disappearance DNA/fingerprints were found in the glove box of her vehicle that were traced to someone with a criminal record. Who would have access to SM's car? Maybe someone who works at a car wash? Car washes are one of the jobs someone with a felony conviction can work at.

I think the first responders at the scene of Jason's car were shortsighted in deciding that the accident scene was the result of a single car accident related to impairment. There was no evidence someone was with him. The items found suggested a lone occupant probably under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol. There was really nothing to suggest foul play. However, it was a huge oversight to leave personal belongings of Jason's on the road for his father to find, which was unnecessarily cruel, imo, and smacks of lazy investigation techniques.

In Texas, LE can collect DNA samples from individuals charged with committing a felony offense, even if they are never prosecuted. They can keep that info indefinitely. You can't compel someone to provide a DNA sample just because. There has to be probable cause. It can't be a fishing expedition. What argument would you provide to a prosecutor to collect DNA from someone familiar with JS to compare to samples found in the vehicle?

And remember most small police departments are usually cash strapped. They don't have the funds to arbitrarily collect and submit samples. JMO
Thank you for your reality-check post. I'm going to stop there because you have said it best: "It can't be a fishing expedition." Thanks.

You’re a young firefighter driving home from the station. You’re driving down a road you’ve driven down many times before. There’s never anyone on it this late at night -- you can go as fast as you want. You’re enjoying the thrill of speeding around turns on the dark road. Suddenly you round a corner to see a man right in front of you. You don’t have time to react. It was an accident. There’s no reason your life needs to be ruined. What’s done is done. You decide to cover it up.

I’ll let you fill in the rest. Obviously, this is 100% pure tinfoil hat speculation on my part and there is 0 evidence that the VFF or anyone else was involved in Jason’s disappearance. Still, I would be interested to see evidence that 100% ruled this out.

Not very much can be ruled 100% out. I don't think there's even a consensus here on what happened.

The major problem with any "hit and cover up" theory is that it would have happened after Jason disrobed (since the clothing showed no signs of damage, other than a red blood spot). After the crash, and three minutes after he started walking down the road, and for unknown reasons, he disrobed, with the order of clothing found that suggested he was walking fast/running as he did so.

The odds of someone deciding to "panic and cover up" after hitting someone are very low. Without trying to get excessively macabre, I think it falls to 0.0001% that someone would try to "panic cover up" after hitting a naked person on the road.

From what others have posted, Salt Flat Rd is bumpy and potholed. Nobody is going fast. (It was described as: if Jason was being chased at a decent speed, he would have blown out a tire long before he reached that crash site.)

At the moment, this is the major question that bothers me: in which direction did he go after taking his clothes off? As he took off his sandals, I'd think that his feet must have gotten cut up/there has to be a trail somewhere. At the moment, I believe it that, if there was a trail, it was ruined/made unusable in the hours and hours afterwards.

Last edited:
Not very much can be ruled 100% out. I don't think there's even a consensus here on what happened.

The major problem with any "hit and cover up" theory is that it would have happened after Jason disrobed (since the clothing showed no signs of damage, other than a red blood spot). After the crash, and three minutes after he started walking down the road, and for unknown reasons, he disrobed, with the order of clothing found that suggested he was walking fast/running as he did so.

The odds of someone deciding to "panic and cover up" after hitting someone are very low. Without trying to get excessively macabre, I think it falls to 0.0001% that someone would try to "panic cover up" after hitting a naked person on the road.

From what others have posted, Salt Flat Rd is bumpy and potholed. Nobody is going fast. (It was described as: if Jason was being chased at a decent speed, he would have blown out a tire long before he reached that crash site.)

At the moment, this is the major question that bothers me: in which direction did he go after taking his clothes off? As he took off his sandals, I'd think that his feet must have gotten cut up/there has to be a trail somewhere. At the moment, I believe it that, if there was a trail, it was ruined/made unusable in the hours and hours afterwards.

And I think you could add a few more decimal places to the chance that someone, after doing that extremely improbable ‘panic cover up,’ then returns to the scene to report the wrecked car, leaving his own car, (theoretical) damaged fender with DNA of the missing driver, and other potential evidence, all out in the open.

MOO

RSBBM
He went toward light. There was an outdoor light at an unoccupied house going back toward town (the house near where a pond was drained & searched early on).

There is a video of officers checking that house that showed them able to shine their flashlights in the windows, which were not covered by blinds, allowing pretty good inside visuals. There is an outbuilding or small barn on that property, too.

In the end, LE was unsure that JL went to that house at all because they didn't think the dogs tracking his scent there were reliable due to scene contamination.

It is a rental house that was vacant at the time of JL's misfortune.

My theory is LIGHT. It was so dark & cold & seemingly desolate where he crashed. Even in an altered state (due to drugs and/or the crash impact and/or hypothermia), I think he would have wandered around on foot toward any light he could find.

That is why I think a nighttime re-creation in similar darkness (no moon) conditions is so very important. To me, any light source at any distance he could see would have been where he headed. We need a direction of travel to narrow down where his remains may be.

That is my 2 cents. Might be worth less than that but AFAIK, my idea has never been tried.

MOO

NOV 21, 2022
A https://www..com/f/lets-double-the-reward-and-find-jason-landry was created to raise a $20,000 reward to help find missing Texas State student Jason Landry. The reward was originally set at $10,000 in May 2021—five months after Landry’s disappearance.

[...]

With his disappearance approaching two years, the page said it was time to double the reward being offered to find him.

“We BELIEVE, and we HOPE that raising the reward will help provide incentive for that ONE PERSON who may KNOW SOMETHING to COME FORWARD with the information that leads to Jason’s whereabouts,” the said.

[...]

"My theory is LIGHT. It was so dark & cold & seemingly desolate where he crashed. Even in an altered state (due to drugs and/or the crash impact and/or hypothermia), I think he would have wandered around on foot toward any light he could find."

I have been looking around at the map of the accident site, the house they tracked him to and such, and I think your theory of light is a good one. I was also thinking that possibly this road was obviously not a busy one and I wondered what the chances are that Jason tried to walk over to highway 86 to see if he could flag someone down? 86 is a paved road and there is a dirt road/trail leading from about the house area :

1669134277830.png

I have been looking around at the map of the accident site, the house they tracked him to and such, and I think your theory of light is a good one. I was also thinking that possibly this road was obviously not a busy one and I wondered what the chances are that Jason tried to walk over to highway 86 to see if he could flag someone down? 86 is a paved road and there is a dirt road/trail leading from about the house area :

View attachment 381888
Great work!

The view from highway 86 towards the pond/Salt Flat Road
View attachment 381889

The most likely thought of this, but hopefully they searched all around highway 86 as well.

All MOO
I would definitely recommend calling the tipline or post to the Facebook search page. I still think seeing things in deep darkness as JL did could help searchers. And you have marked a path!
JMO

View attachment 381888
That's what I was thinking also, because I saw that in an earlier post and mentioned that I wondered if he could have gone down that path, although I didn't realize that the other side was a highway at the time. But he would want to find a lit up area even if he was an altered state of mind, I'm sure. It was very dark on the road. Okay well lets look at it this way he stripped his clothes because he was hot, okay, that was his reasoning so we can speculate that even in that state he wouldn't want to be in the dark so he may have been trying to find light that is a basic human inclination. So if he had the inclanation of being hot and wanting to cool down then he would also have the inclanation to get out of the dark. Its possible that he may have detoured onto the path instead of going back into town because he was confused. One thing I find kind of striking is that he didn't go over a barbed wire fence and as he was geting out of his car he didn't get caught up in it. It seems to me he left the car fine and after that he started getting confused. That seems to me the way it transpired or the sequence of events rather that occurred after he left his vehicle. MOO.
I think I see the cememtary towards the top of the image that you posted (thanks for posting.) I was thinking that if the cemetary's gate was open he may have gone through there and further diverted his walk maybe going behind it and walking that way or maybe found an opening and gone behind it. However my assumption may not be correct about the cemetary because it looks like he didn't go that direction he went back towards town. Now if that path you are referring is towards town your suggestion and my thought may hold validity.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back