GUILTY TX - Jazmine Barnes, 7, shot/killed in drive-by shooting, Houston, Dec 2018 *ARREST*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
i cant make anything identifying out in that image, i cant even tell that its a 4 door, looks like 2 to me. maybe someone that really knows their trucks can pick something out. :(

news conference starting live at the link 2 posts up;

edit - press conference didnt provide any new information.

edit 2 - i spoke too soon - they dont think the family had made it to the store yet, they dont know of anything to suggest there was any incident or that it was road rage. the picture of the truck was taken by a security camera prior to the incident. truck could be maroon or red. extended cab, possibly wider model. no indication driver spoke or yelled anything. he fired from the side and then backwards at the car after he had passed it.

keep hoping someone asks about the unknown/no license plate thing, not yet tho.

Last edited:
My gut at first glance sees an older red F250 super duty pickup with a chrome step rail. Then I stare at it a bit more and lose it. That dark door handle sitting in that orientation and squared up cab is what lends me to that. Could be the reflective 4x4 sticker on the back end.

Apparently that chrome step bar is also called a nerf bar.

So the only new info:
They never made it to the store, thus they were riding on the beltway feeder road.

The attack was unprovoked, the person just started firing into the car from the next lane (Scary).

<modsnip>

There is no motive as of yet, but the police haven’t ruled anything out. We only know it was an unprovoked attack. The shooter didn’t say anything to them (like any slurs before shooting) that was reported. I mean it’s just speculation by this article; but the police is saying they don’t know if race is the case based on the update. The article is just clickbait i think.

Last edited by a moderator:
If that’s the case then they should have been on the southbound feeder and crossed over Wallisville to get to the parking lot? You either turn at Wallisville and make a left across traffic to get in or you stay in frontage and take a right into Walmart parking lot. Coming from that side there is a Lowe’s but it’s a big parking lot on that side, a restaurant, a strip mall set up and then the bank. West side of that section is elevated hwy so nothing there. There is a Bank of America on that corner that I hope has a bunch of cameras. There may be a new hotel going in, trying to remember, maybe they would have some cameras set up to protect their equipment. If she crossed over Wallisville she had the right of way so she wouldn’t have cut someone off, doesn’t mean they didn’t take it that way though.

Who is up at 7am on a Sunday and crabby enough to want to shoot up a car?
Probably rule out church goers...
That side of town has lots of plants (factories), someone getting off shift? Vehicle fits too. The plant workers frequent there for the food but as far as breakfast places there...chik-fil-a is closed with it being a Sunday. There is Panera (seems unlikely), there is a Burger King on the other side in the gas station.

No late night bars in the area, a Buffalo Wild Wings but no place with after parties. Trying to think what would be open.

ETA: Wallisville heading west is not the best neighborhood. I lived there for about 2 months until we found a house to buy. There were late night drive by shootings, the guy two houses down was selling drugs out of his garage, known drug and gang houses. I was sitting at the light by Walmart and Lowe’s and a guy was screaming out the passenger window talking about shooting people. Could have been random guy jacked up on drugs.

Last edited:
I'm still not ruling out road rage. The family might believe it was unprovoked, but they could've easily angered someone without even realizing it. I've been cut off by other cars, etc. and the other driver doesn't even see that they almost caused an accident. Even if she didn't actually do anything like that, a crazy, angry road rager could easily find a reason to get heated.
Not saying this was definitely road rage, but I also don't think the victims can know for certain that there was nothing preceding it.

I'm still not ruling out road rage. The family might believe it was unprovoked, but they could've easily angered someone without even realizing it. I've been cut off by other cars, etc. and the other driver doesn't even see that they almost caused an accident. Even if she didn't actually do anything like that, a crazy, angry road rager could easily find a reason to get heated.
Not saying this was definitely road rage, but I also don't think the victims can know for certain that there was nothing preceding it.
Some drivers really do get angry at other drivers for doing nothing wrong. It can be something as petty as the driver in front of them not driving fast enough for their tastes. That could be the case here since the man in the pickup drove around the victim and started shooting.

This story just has me scratching my head. Am I understanding this correctly? She didn’t actually go to Walmart. But was in/or leaving the parking lot when the shooting began?

This story just has me scratching my head. Am I understanding this correctly? She didn’t actually go to Walmart. But was in/or leaving the parking lot when the shooting began?
From the Houston Chronicle:

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-...-7-year-old-shot-outside-Walmart-13500399.php
A blurry photo of a pickup truck taken moments before the pre-dawn slaying of 7-year-old Jazmine Barnes near a Walmart in east Harris County is one of the few clues detectives hope will lead to her killer’s capture.

A security camera from a nearby business spied the unidentified gunman cruising south along the feeder road near Wallisville Road on Sunday morning. He seemingly targeted the girl’s family — her mother and three siblings, ages 6, 13 and 15 — at random during their shopping trip, Harris County Sheriff Ed Gonzalez said during a news conference Monday.
The family never made it to the store, Gonzalez said. As far as investigators know, the family did nothing to spark the gunman’s ire and he made no attempt to communicate before opening fire around 6:50 a.m. from the next lane over.
BBM

I'm not familiar with the area, but some locals here have explained the roads. My understanding is it happened outside the Walmart parking lot -- they hadn't made it there yet. A map would sure help, IMO.

HMWULZPy2KT2
Google Maps

Washington and her daughters were out getting coffee when the killer fired into their car and police believe the shooting was unprovoked.

From link: ....Washington said she stopped the car at a red light and prepared to start moving when the gunfire began....We was not in Walmart parking lot. We did not stop at Walmart.

"Our belief [is] that it was totally unprovoked," Harris County Sheriff Ed Gonzalez said of the shooting during a news conference Monday.

Link: Authorities plead for community's help in identifying man who fatally shot 7-year-old

Mother to killer: 'You should have a heart and step forward...'
This article makes it sound like it was a passenger shooting. If the bullets came in through her window the guy would either have been a passenger or was shooting across the cab of the truck.

“I heard shots start firing and they came through my window. Broke my glass, hit me in my arm. They sped off in front of us, and the truck slowed down and continued to fire while he was in front of us,” Washington said.

What I’m having a hard time imagining is if it wasn’t a passenger is the “continued to fire infront of us”. Unless the guy is just shooting randomly out the passenger window.

That would be so loud, unless he had ear protection on under his hoodie, someone who is suddenly hearing impaired would be a good indication of a suspect.

There was an “unknown license plate” per Sheriff Gonzalez and LT Razo which you can find on HCSO Twitter page... The mother reported ducking so I’m sure she wasn’t really paying a lot of attention to the tag. She noticed the person pulling beside her before he started firing per the ABC13 interview she gave from her hospital bed last night.

Mom’s interview limited interview...
https://www.google.com/amp/s/abc13....-near-walmart-random-and-intentional/4996175/

The initial press conference...
HCSOTexas on Twitter

Second press conference...

HCSOTexas on Twitter

This article makes it sound like it was a passenger shooting. If the bullets came in through her window the guy would either have been a passenger or was shooting across the cab of the truck.

What I’m having a hard time imagining is if it wasn’t a passenger is the “continued to fire infront of us”. Unless the guy is just shooting randomly out the passenger window.

That would be so loud, unless he had ear protection on under his hoodie, someone who is suddenly hearing impaired would be a good indication of a suspect.

Either he had a passenger or this is someone who is a skilled marksman. We have tons of gun ranges around and a few gun clubs... It takes skill to drive and shoot I would think. Remember the gunman who shot the doc on the bike in the medcenter .. he was a gun instructor and had a background in LE.

Last edited:
Hopefully someone will come forward. $35,000 reward should hopefully get somebody talking if they are in the right income bracket.

Ed Gonzalez (@SheriffEd_HCSO) | Twitter

I don't see how this makes any sense unless it's like a serial sniper, just shooting for fun... or a case of mistaken identity.
Not that it ever makes sense anyway, just such an odd time for something like this.

I am guessing that Jazmine was in the center of the backseat and that is why she was hit.
It would have been much harder for her to duck and get out of the line of fire than those on either side of her.

Hopefully someone will come forward. $35,000 reward should hopefully get somebody talking if they are in the right income bracket.

Ed Gonzalez (@SheriffEd_HCSO) | Twitter

I don't see how this makes any sense unless it's like a serial sniper, just shooting for fun... or a case of mistaken identity.
Not that it ever makes sense anyway, just such an odd time for something like this.

I am guessing that Jazmine was in the center of the backseat and that is why she was hit.
It would have been much harder for her to duck and get out of the line of fire than those on either side of her.
Maybe it was some inebriated insane person who just left a bar after drinking all night. Or people if there was more than one in the vehicle.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reneej08
Back