Found Deceased TX - Kaytlynn Cargill, 14, Bedford, 19 June 2017 #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The obituary is so very brief. Do you suppose that is because the family is staying very private (understandable) or because they have been advised by police/lawyers not to provide any additional information of any sort publicly--either for their own safety or for the good of the investigation?

--Jamie

Brief? Did you click on the obituary & service button?
Great obit...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

there's a help forum and thread dedicated to these issues (I can't link atm but it's here)
it's happening for android users too

Off topic.

Is anyone else using an iPad or iPhone getting kicked off this site and transferred to a page about becoming a Facebook millionaire? It's only happening while I'm on Websleuths.

Great obit...

JamieH may have to update her post. When Kaytlynn's obit was first posted it was brief. They may have wanted to have something up until they finish writing the obituary we see now. Whoever wrote it did a great job articulating who Kaytlynn was.

JamieH may have to update her post. When Kaytlynn's obit was first posted it was brief. They may have wanted to have something up until they finish writing the obituary we see now. Whoever wrote it did a great job articulating who Kaytlynn was.

Yes! It was beautiful. RIP sweet Kaytlynn!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Timeline outlined by BPD video above:

Monday June 19 8:15 p.m:
Police are called. Police respond, create a report, and enter Kaytlynn into local/national databases as a missing child.
Stepfather said Kaytlynn may be at a friend's house.
Later that night Kaytlynn's mother called police back with the name "a friend Kaytlynn may be staying with." Mother did not have the address.
Police tracked down address, made contact with the people there on Monday night, and Kaytlynn was not there.
Police continued to follow leads throughout the night. Info provided by family and not by family.

Early Tuesday morning June 20:
Bedford PD begins searching apt. complex for additional leads.
Investigations continued throughout the day.
Police did not think she had been abducted or was "at risk."

Tuesday afternoon, June 20:
Bedford PD initiated the following alerts:
"A Child Is Missing" alert (automatic phone call to residents)
Community Message Alert (he said they're often called "Blackboard Connect") Bedford PD posted bulletins about Kaytlynn on all social media.
Partnered with families (He said plural, "families." Idk if he means both her mother and father's sides of the family or if there is another family involved? Or if he is referring to Bedford citizens as families? It's at 4:25 in the video if you want to look.) to hand out "bulletins" with Kaytlynn's info on them.

Tuesday night: Officers worked through the night.

Wednesday, June 21: Officers and detectives continued to investigate and canvass the apartment complex.

Wednesday afternoon: Bedford PD contacted by Arlington PD about body found in landfill, Arlington PD said body found had similar characteristics to Kaytlynn.
Both PDs assisted in processing the scene.
Kaytlynn was taken to the Tarrant County Medical Examiner's Office where she was examined and identified.

Officers worked overnight Wednesday night.

Thursday morning, June 22: Officers and detectives continue following leads while "other members" of the "criminal investigation division" attended the autopsy at the ME's office.

Thursday afternoon: ME positively identified Kaytlynn to Bedford PD. Began working case as "death investigation." Officers and detectives continue working "all available leads." Bedford PD has been in "constant contact" with the family.
He says there's nothing they (the PD) could've done differently.

He spends a lot of time talking about how supportive Bedford PD has been to the family.
Says he will release cause of death as soon as he knows it.
Very careful to call it a "death case" but then at the very end calls it a "criminal investigation."
Says they have no information to show that there's a threat to any other families.
He said he knows people are upset with him for not issuing an Amber Alert.
No suspect. No person of interest.
"No

Chief of Police: "Right now, we have absolutely nothing that points to a risk to our community in terms of further danger. We are still, again, waiting for the cause of death but all of our information that is coming in through our investigative teams do not indicate a further risk to our community. We have an unknown situation at this point."

Chief of Police: "There is not a suspect or person of interest. We are, in fact, following every lead that comes in...we don't have a singular suspect."
Reporter: "How can you say there's no threat to the community?"
Chief of Police:"We have no information that leads us to believe this is an ongoing situation."

Police have been asking about a certain person by name while canvassing the apartment complex, per a reporter's question.

Case is the highest priority the PD has.

Reporter: "If a lot of it is an unknown situation, how are you so comfortable telling the community that there is nothing to worry about if it's that big of a mystery?"
Chief of Police: "Through all our investigative leads, we do not see anything that would indicate a repeat offender at this time."

A reporter asked "How does that happen without an offender, somewhere?"

It was not a public area of the landfill.

First FB post on Bedford PD page was 18 1/2 hours after she was reported missing. Police chief says based on the first information they got that she would be found within the apartment complex.

Her age may be due to when her birthday falls. My daughter was a year older than her classmates because she had to start school a year later due to her birthday falling in November. We have to be careful about assumptions.
You me too!! November 5th! I was ALWAYS the oldest!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Police are called. Police respond, create a report, and enter Kaytlynn into local/national databases as a missing child.
Later that night Kaytlynn's mother called police back with the name "a friend Kaytlynn may be staying with." Mother did not have the address.
Police tracked down address, made contact with the people there on Monday night, and Kaytlynn was not there.
Police continued to follow leads throughout the night. Info provided by family and not by family.

Community Message Alert (he said they're often called "Blackboard Connect") Bedford PD posted bulletins about Kaytlynn on all social media.
Partnered with families (He said plural, "families." Idk if he means both her mother and father's sides of the family or if there is another family involved? Or if he is referring to Bedford citizens as families? It's at 4:25 in the video if you want to look.) to hand out "bulletins" with Kaytlynn's info on them.

Wednesday, June 21: Officers and detectives continued to investigate and canvass the apartment complex.

Wednesday afternoon: Bedford PD contacted by Arlington PD about body found in landfill, Arlington PD said body found had similar characteristics to Kaytlynn.
Kaytlynn was taken to the Tarrant County Medical Examiner's Office where she was examined and identified.

Thursday morning, June 22: Officers and detectives continue following leads while "other members" of the "criminal investigation division" attended the autopsy at the ME's office.

Thursday afternoon: ME positively identified Kaytlynn to Bedford PD. Began working case as "death investigation." Officers and detectives continue working "all available leads." Bedford PD has been in "constant contact" with the family.

He spends a lot of time talking about how supportive Bedford PD has been to the family.
Very careful to call it a "death case" but then at the very end calls it a "criminal investigation."
Says they have no information to show that there's a threat to any other families.
"No

Chief of Police: "Right now, we have absolutely nothing that points to a risk to our community in terms of further danger. We are still, again, waiting for the cause of death but all of our information that is coming in through our investigative teams do not indicate a further risk to our community. We have an unknown situation at this point."

Chief of Police: "There is not a suspect or person of interest. We are, in fact, following every lead that comes in...we don't have a singular suspect."
Chief of Police:"We have no information that leads us to believe this is an ongoing situation."

Police have been asking about a certain person by name while canvassing the apartment complex, per a reporter's question.

Reporter: "If a lot of it is an unknown situation, how are you so comfortable telling the community that there is nothing to worry about if it's that big of a mystery?"
Chief of Police: "Through all our investigative leads, we do not see anything that would indicate a repeat offender at this time."

First FB post on Bedford PD page was 18 1/2 hours after she was reported missing. Police chief says based on the first information they got that she would be found within the apartment complex.

This is really helpful!!

I am having such a hard time understanding why the police were so convinced that Kaytlynn was not in immediate danger, and I would love to be privvy to the initial conversations between Kaytlynn's parents and police.

Once, as a 7th grader, my son told me he was staying after school for tutoring. Instead, he snuck into the library and went to a far, sort of hidden, corner to play a computer game with a friend, and both boys lost track of time. When I arrived at school to pick him up, he was not waiting outside, and he did not respond to my calls or text messages. I was mildly concerned, but I figured his phone battery had died, so I waited for an additional 30 minutes in the carpool lane.

When he still hadn't appeared after those 30 minutes, I entered the building as a teacher was leaving and made my way to the front office. No staff was there as it was now 1.5 hours after the end of school, so I proceeded to search the building by myself. A teacher working late came around a corner, stopped me, and I explained my situation. He helped me look. After another 20 minutes, we could still not find my son (the school was huge), so I called 911.

I remember feeling panicked. Had he tried to walk home and been abducted? Had he been beaten up and was lying hurt in the bathroom? Had he simply snuck home with a friend? Was there some sort of medical emergency? All sorts of things go through your head, but you try to be reasonable.

I wanted to believe that something harmless and easily explainable had happened, but my son was ALWAYS so reliable and trustworthy, and although I was making a mental list of all his friends and was checking my phone to see whose contact information I had readily available to pass on to police, I was also trying to control my rising panic. He was not a kid who just disappeared.

So, I understand why Katylynn's parents went through her friends and suggested friends she might be with to police initially. You try not to immediately think the worst, and you know your kids are not perfect--usually the simplest answer is the right one anyway. However, I am not clear as to why police still believed, on the following morning (Tuesday), that she was likely NOT in danger. Had my son still been missing on the following day (A teacher found him in the library just after police arrived, and I tried so hard not to strangle him and become my own thread on this website!), I would have known 100% something was absolutely wrong, and I hope I could have made police understand that--maybe an Amber Alert still would not have been issued without having some sort of evidence that an abduction had taken place though.

I am not blaming police for not issuing an Amber Alert, and I do not wish to second guess their actions and rekindle that debate. So, assuming that police were RIGHT in NOT issuing the alert, I wonder what made them so sure Kaytlynn was not in immediate danger. What details did those "friends" give to police? What information did Kaytlynn's parents tell them? What made them so sure she was likely just "off somewhere?"

OR...maybe they were NOT sure she was okay at all. Perhaps the police WANTED to issue an alert and spent a long time at the apartment complex on Tuesday trying to find any witnesses or additional information that would allow them to issue an alert, but didn't turn up anything concrete.

What do you think: were police convinced Kaytlynn was likely just "off somewhere" based on information from "friends" and the family (I don't buy it), or were police worried for her safety but unable to issue an alert due to lack of evidence of an abduction?

If it's the latter, it must have happened SO QUICKLY....or it must have looked like such a normal interaction that no one paid any attention. That's the scariest thought.

--Jamie

"No

"not a public area"..that is a lot of information..it does not eliminate employees of the dump but it makes the scenario of being placed in a refuse container more likely. That says to me perp has no car 'IF' the surrounding trash at the crime scene was from near the dog park neighborhood. If the surrounding trash was up picked miles from the dog walk then the perp had a vehicle.

Great obit...

Originally, the obituary started only that she died on the 21st. No mention of anything personal at all. It was edited several hours later to read as it does now.

Until they know for sure how she died, I guess they have to consider even the most unlikely scenarios, such as suicide even? If tox is truly the only way to determine cause of death, it would be wrong not to consider all scenarios, with teen suicide practically epidemic. It is one phenomenon that no one is really immune to, sadly. I don't think a week passes when I don't read about another tragic suicide by a young teen. Anyway...obviously this is just speculation. But I can not recall a case when LE could not say manner of death in ages, except for some of the very oddest cases, such as the young woman a few years, Elisa Lam for example. Jmo

Another thought....supposing the body was placed into a trash bin. Don't the waste haulers compact the trash as it is gathered and before it is dumped? My local collection trucks do this. Wouldn't this do severe damage to a body? Does this make it more likely she was NOT placed into the trash container but dumped by an individual who gained either legal (or illegal) access to the dump site?

--Jamie

Until they know for sure how she died, I guess they have to consider even the most unlikely scenarios, such as suicide even? If tox is truly the only way to determine cause of death, it would be wrong not to consider all scenarios, with teen suicide practically epidemic. It is one phenominon that no one is really immune to, sadly. I don't think a week passes when I don't read about another tragic suicide by a young teen. Anyway...obviously this is just speculation. But I can not recall a case when LE could not say manner of death in ages, except for some of the very oddest cases, such as the young woman a few years, Elisa Lam for example. Jmo

yes, general manner of death as in accident, suicide and so on.

Another thought....supposing the body was placed into a trash bin. Don't the waste haulers compact the trash as it is gathered and before it is dumped? My local collection trucks do this. Wouldn't this do severe damage to a body? Does this make it more likely she was NOT placed into the trash container but dumped by an individual who gained either legal (or illegal) access to the dump site?

--Jamie

Not really. She could have been compacted. As much as it pains me to say, I truly feel this may have factored in to why it took a bit to identify her. However, the fact that her body was released so quickly I just don't even know. I honestly don't feel she was placed in the landfill. I think she was in some kind of dumpster. Just my thought. MOO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This case makes me so sad and fearful for teens everywhere. As parents we want them to have freedoms and yet this can happen on one's doorstep. :(

I know we can only catch a glimpse of a person in the photos offered up in MP cases, but from the first Kaytlynn didn't strike me as a runaway, or someone experimenting with drugs, nor did she seem like a teen chasing her sexuality whichever way. She seemed like a fresh-faced kid with an honest and open youthfulness and I feel someone in those apartments took advantage of what might have been a kind naivety. I think someone stopped her and asked for her help with something but as she had the dog she said she would return. As there were others at the dog run, she left the dog in their care and returned to 'help' the person. I think it was a crime of opportunity but the offender may have been just waiting for the right set of circumstances to strike.
I am chiming in because this case strikes me so diffently from others where the family is involved...I really don't sense that here. Nor do I think it was the work of another kid or kids plural.
I hope that LE catches those responsible very soon and I send deepest sympathies to a family that must be tormented by this loss...
RIP sweet child.

It's strange to me that the chief of police defended their approach to this case by saying that they had no evidence to show Kaytlynn was abducted or in danger...but then she ends up dead in a landfill. She did not die of natural causes in a landfill. So she WAS in danger after she was last seen. The PD may not have had evidence of it. But she was definitely in danger. For them to say that the community doesn't need to worry because there's no evidence that this will be a "repeat offsense" uses the same logic they used to determine Kaytlynn was not in danger. Their logic is flawed. You would think that they could see that.

Bedford PD and Arlington PD were both on the scene when she was recovered from the landfill. When the Bedford Chief of Police talks about whether or not trauma to her body was noted, he says that no reports of trauma to her body have been released by the medical examiner. But the first people with her were police officers and detectives. So whatever they saw is not being reported. If there was trauma, the police saw it but won't talk about it until the info is released on the medical examiner's report.

I don't know the Bedford Chief of Police of what sort of reputation Bedford PD has, but that 22 minute video above sounded very defensive and like he was taking criticism of how they handled things very personally. It was in stark contrast to the press conference the chief of police had for Abby and Libby, for example. (That one seemed to express sorrow for their families' grief and a commitment to solve the case.)

"not a public area"..that is a lot of information..it does not eliminate employees of the dump but it makes the scenario of being placed in a refuse container more likely. That says to me perp has no car 'IF' the surrounding trash at the crime scene was from near the dog park neighborhood. If the surrounding trash was up picked miles from the dog walk then the perp had a vehicle.

I think the specific thing the chief of police said about the area was that it is not an area the public can access; it is an area for "providers." I assume that means like for trash collection companies to use.

This kind of "the public do not need to worry" response from police has become more and more common recently. To me it serves a few purposes:
- the public are placated and go about their lives in a normal fashion
- the public may also feel that the police have matters under control and are moving in on a suspect so there is less chance of an outburst of vigilantism
- the suspect may get a false sense of security by thinking they are not under scrutiny and get sloppy while under observation
Sometimes the "the public do not need to worry" response is police speak for the following
- a suspected suicide
- a suspected homicide with a specific targeted victim

In this case I'm not sure of the Bedford's police thinking but I think it may be in an effort to calm the community and possibly that they have their eyes on specific people. I am hoping that there will be an arrest in the next 24 hours.

This is really helpful!!

I am having such a hard time understanding why the police were so convinced that Kaytlynn was not in immediate danger, and I would love to be privvy to the initial conversations between Kaytlynn's parents and police.

Once, as a 7th grader, my son told me he was staying after school for tutoring. Instead, he snuck into the library and went to a far, sort of hidden, corner to play a computer game with a friend, and both boys lost track of time. When I arrived at school to pick him up, he was not waiting outside, and he did not respond to my calls or text messages. I was mildly concerned, but I figured his phone battery had died, so I waited for an additional 30 minutes in the carpool lane.

When he still hadn't appeared after those 30 minutes, I entered the building as a teacher was leaving and made my way to the front office. No staff was there as it was now 1.5 hours after the end of school, so I proceeded to search the building by myself. A teacher working late came around a corner, stopped me, and I explained my situation. He helped me look. After another 20 minutes, we could still not find my son (the school was huge), so I called 911.

I remember feeling panicked. Had he tried to walk home and been abducted? Had he been beaten up and was lying hurt in the bathroom? Had he simply snuck home with a friend? Was there some sort of medical emergency? All sorts of things go through your head, but you try to be reasonable.

I wanted to believe that something harmless and easily explainable had happened, but my son was ALWAYS so reliable and trustworthy, and although I was making a mental list of all his friends and was checking my phone to see whose contact information I had readily available to pass on to police, I was also trying to control my rising panic. He was not a kid who just disappeared.

So, I understand why Katylynn's parents went through her friends and suggested friends she might be with to police initially. You try not to immediately think the worst, and you know your kids are not perfect--usually the simplest answer is the right one anyway. However, I am not clear as to why police still believed, on the following morning (Tuesday), that she was likely NOT in danger. Had my son still been missing on the following day (A teacher found him in the library just after police arrived, and I tried so hard not to strangle him and become my own thread on this website!), I would have known 100% something was absolutely wrong, and I hope I could have made police understand that--maybe an Amber Alert still would not have been issued without having some sort of evidence that an abduction had taken place though.

I am not blaming police for not issuing an Amber Alert, and I do not wish to second guess their actions and rekindle that debate. So, assuming that police were RIGHT in NOT issuing the alert, I wonder what made them so sure Kaytlynn was not in immediate danger. What details did those "friends" give to police? What information did Kaytlynn's parents tell them? What made them so sure she was likely just "off somewhere?"

OR...maybe they were NOT sure she was okay at all. Perhaps the police WANTED to issue an alert and spent a long time at the apartment complex on Tuesday trying to find any witnesses or additional information that would allow them to issue an alert, but didn't turn up anything concrete.

What do you think: were police convinced Kaytlynn was likely just "off somewhere" based on information from "friends" and the family (I don't buy it), or were police worried for her safety but unable to issue an alert due to lack of evidence of an abduction?

If it's the latter, it must have happened SO QUICKLY....or it must have looked like such a normal interaction that no one paid any attention. That's the scariest thought.

--Jamie

There's a lot that doesn't make sense to me. If you watch the Chief of Police press conference video, he seems to be overly cautious with what he says and how he says it. He calls it a death case almost the whole time, says that death cases and homicide cases are processed the same way, but twice near the end of his prepared statement, he calls it a criminal investigation which, to me, assigns blame.

I think police legally couldn't issue an amber alert because there wasn't evidence of an abduction and there was no evidence she left unwillingly.

He seems so careful with his words in describing this case. And he'd better be right that no one else is in danger. That seems like such a strong claim to make...especially when he was just proven wrong about Kaytlynn not being in danger. I think the fact that a 14 year old was found dead in a landfill is evidence of ongoing danger. Without an arrest made, I don't see how it's not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abk018