TX - *LOCATED* Barefoot woman seen on surveillance video, Montgomery County, 24 Aug 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
ABC13 Houston

Victim makes a statement. It seems a little bit ambivalent to me though. Not criticizing her, just trying to understand. I guess she has mixed emotions about the whole relationship.

Here’s my interpretation, fwiw:

She’s clearly a victim of abuse, imo. It seems to me like she’s rationalizing his behavior by repeatedly saying she isn’t perfect, either. This is what happens in the minds of gaslighted victims of domestic violence.

She still loves him right now (or thinks she does) and it hurts her to see him attacked by others. She knows he committed a crime against her, and she clearly isn’t able to speak about it just yet. That’s her prerogative. She might also feel deep shame that it’s all out in the public. She also might blame herself for his decision to complete suicide; she wasn’t good enough to make his life worth living.

All conjecture and moo

Why is it important that it was a news story? Not one person came forward to accurately identify the person from the video. The public played no role in resolving this except broadcasting the victim of domestic violence's face across the world in a very embarrassing situation. I trust LE to resolve crimes, not Karen with a doorbell cam blasting evidence to her Facebook friends before police even review it. There's a reason why LE did not release any of the other footage. And why they are not releasing her identity now. It's none of our business.

The MSM showed it because there was a huge search to help police find and ID her.

The woman who shared the video did nothing wrong. She actually looked at the footage and realized something was wrong — and didn’t share it to be a jerk or ridicule or pass judgement on this woman.

The police didn’t release any more video (if they in fact had any more) because either (a) there wasn’t much more or (2) it is evidence. Or both. Or neither, tbh.

So if you assert the public didn’t solve this case, then she wasn’t ID’d via the video? Hm.

But I completely agree with you on the fact that, at this point, police have clearly said she is a victim of a sex crime. She is a victim. Her name has not been released. It’s to protect her and her privacy. It’s not our business right now.

Why is it important that it was a news story? Not one person came forward to accurately identify the person from the video. The public played no role in resolving this except broadcasting the victim of domestic violence's face across the world in a very embarrassing situation. I trust LE to resolve crimes, not Karen with a doorbell cam blasting evidence to her Facebook friends before police even review it. There's a reason why LE did not release any of the other footage. And why they are not releasing her identity now. It's none of our business.

I agree that it is none of OUR business who she is, but I do feel strongly that she should be known to LE as a victim of a crime, and I am not sure that would have happened without the video. While no one apparently was able to identify her to LE based on the clip, LE did ask for help from anyone who might recognize her. I was not aware that LE did not want the video released.

I agree that it is none of OUR business who she is, but I do feel strongly that she should be known to LE as a victim of a crime, and I am not sure that would have happened without the video. While no one apparently was able to identify her to LE based on the clip, LE did ask for help from anyone who might recognize her. I was not aware that LE did not want the video released.

Oh, absolutely. I agree.

And, like you, I don’t have the impression that police asked to suppress the video, either.

She’s clearly a victim of abuse, imo. It seems to me like she’s rationalizing his behavior by repeatedly saying she isn’t perfect, either. This is what happens in the minds of gaslighted victims of domestic violence.

She still loves him right now (or thinks she does) and it hurts her to see him attacked by others. She knows he committed a crime against her, and she clearly isn’t able to speak about it just yet. That’s her prerogative. She might also feel deep shame that it’s all out in the public. She also might blame herself for his decision to complete suicide; she wasn’t good enough to make his life worth living.

All conjecture and moo

THIS is very insightful, and helpful in understanding the statement of the victim. Thank you EuTu.

The MSM showed it because there was a huge search to help police find and ID her.

The woman who shared the video did nothing wrong. She actually looked at the footage and realized something was wrong — and didn’t share it to be a jerk or ridicule or pass judgement on this woman.

The police didn’t release any more video (if they in fact had any more) because either (a) there wasn’t much more or (2) it is evidence. Or both. Or neither, tbh.

So if you assert the public didn’t solve this case, then she wasn’t ID’d via the video? Hm.

But I completely agree with you on the fact that, at this point, police have clearly said she is a victim of a sex crime. She is a victim. Her name has not been released. It’s to protect her and her privacy. It’s not our business right now.

The woman who shared the video shared it because it was "spooky." Do you really think civilians should take law enforcement into their own hands? If you capture a murder on video, do you think you should share it for millions of people to see instead of LE to investigate?

Once someone released the video and it went viral on Facebook and every stay-at-home-mom between Maine and Alaska was calling in "tips" to the police about sex trafficking, of course they wanted to identify the woman as soon as possible to end the speculation. The police are not able to suppress a video that has gone viral. That is precisely why they work so hard to withhold evidence.

And to your last point, LE stated themselves she was identified in DC's suicide note. She was not identified via the video. They did not know who she was until they investigated reports of a suicidal person and then tied this woman to the video. So sure, the publicity may have driven this guy to suicide and they were able to identify a woman who was safely with her family dealing with personal issues... so congrats to us? We solved the case?

And to your last point, LE stated themselves she was identified in DC's suicide note. She was not identified via the video.

rsff

I know. I’m not questioning the timeline.

So the video isn’t the problem in this case. ... Because there isn’t a problem with this case, as I see it. That’s my point.

Nobody took the law into their own hands but for the boyfriend, imo.

She’s a domestic abuse victim. Of course we know that in hindsight.

ABC13 Houston

Victim makes a statement. It seems a little bit ambivalent to me though. Not criticizing her, just trying to understand. I guess she has mixed emotions about the whole relationship.

By her own admission she has issues. He was not even home at the time, she was knocking on doors. It sounds to me like she was having a panic attack. She then asked him to follow her to her family's home at her request because she was having anxiety issues.

This guy's only crime was trying to help her the best he could, and now he is dead because of it.

..... If you capture a murder on video, do you think you should share it for millions of people to see instead of LE to investigate?

Once someone released the video and it went viral on Facebook and every stay-at-home-mom between Maine and Alaska was calling in "tips" to the police about sex trafficking, of course they wanted to identify the woman as soon as possible to end the speculation. The police are not able to suppress a video that has gone viral. That is precisely why they work so hard to withhold evidence.

And to your last point, LE stated themselves she was identified in DC's suicide note. She was not identified via the video. They did not know who she was until they investigated reports of a suicidal person and then tied this woman to the video. So sure, the publicity may have driven this guy to suicide and they were able to identify a woman who was safely with her family dealing with personal issues... so congrats to us? We solved the case?

Alethea, I respect your opinion on this, and that you feel strongly about it. I also have a few comments about the parts of your post that have been BBM...
....the video that was shared did not show a crime in progress. That is very different from showing a video of a murder or any other crime taking place. No crime video was posted.
.....I agree with you that LE did not know who she was until they investigated reports of a suicidal person and then tied this woman to the video. And I am happy LE was able to make that connection so THEY (not WE) could know who the victim is.
.....I can only speak for myself but I am in no way trying to take credit for or trying to congratulate anyone other than LE on solving this sad case. Thank goodness they have established that the victim is safe, and that they shared that with us. I am grateful to have that knowkedge.

I wish the victim only health and healing and privacy in the days and weeks to come.

EXCLUSIVE: Woman seen on video fleeing abusive boyfriend speaks out

She also said after no one answered when she rang their doorbells, she tried to stop people driving by, but no one stopped.

She said she returned to the home she shared with Collins, but "we weren't in the house at the same time."

She also said, at her request, he followed her on the drive to Dallas, because she was "having anxiety issues."

She said she spoke by phone with him after she left, but he gave no indication he would take his own life.

"His last text said to 'give my mom a hug and be happy.'"

She also wanted to thank the concern voices on social media for her welfare.

"I was really touched finding out how many people were wondering if I was okay and praying for me. I didn't even know it, but it gave me the strength to make it through a very difficult time," she said.

Actually if you watch that LE press conference, they state that Mr Collins' ex wife contacted authorities because she had been receiving texts from her ex which made her think he was threatening his life, and that she believed that the woman in the doorbell video was his current girlfriend. So, it is likely that they did have a tentative identification of the woman, as well as the man. That is why LE enforcement tracked him down to his address and tried to make contact due to this information. But at that point he was already deceased by a few hours. So the viral doorbell video did actually have some value in prompting the ex wife to contact LE. Perhaps she feared for the safety of both of them, a potential murder/suicide scenario developing. Thankfully, the woman managed to escape on her own.

If only someone would have said something! Didn’t anyone notice that something was wrong?

These are things Iread about when a crime is committed and no one has noticed such as with the Turpin children.

So this time a neighbor notices and alerts the world.

I say a huge “thank you “ to her for caring. How was she or anyone to know that a horrible fate had not been happening to this woman. Think the three women who were locked in the Castro basement.

So once again, good eye. Thanks for being a good neighbor!

Wow I'm not sure what to think about her statement. I do feel guilty that this seems to have been an entirely domestic incident that should have been kept between the parties and law enforcement. Sharing the video around the world obviously did not help resolve the matter, and likely hindered local LE from focusing its resources on that block by fielding calls from around the world with tips and missing persons.

That is the main issue I have with it. LE should never have publicized the video. That was an invasion of the woman's privacy. They should have interviewed all of the neighbors and asked if any one knew her or had talked to her. If nobody knew anything, they should have just closed the case. If you don't have a victim, you don't have a crime. There was certainly no evidence of a crime in the video. Just a very confused woman.

That is the main issue I have with it. LE should never have publicized the video. That was an invasion of the woman's privacy. They should have interviewed all of the neighbors and asked if any one knew her or had talked to her. If nobody knew anything, they should have just closed the case. If you don't have a victim, you don't have a crime. There was certainly no evidence of a crime in the video. Just a very confused woman.

We don’t know if there was a crime. DV is a crime, for instance. She was scared that night. And we were afriad for the unknown woman.

All conjecture and moo

Except there is no evidence of abuse. At her own request he followed her to her family's home, because of her anxiety issues. Show me one domestic abuser who has ever done that for a victim. His family thinks he was a good person. His girlfriend who was supposedly being abused by him, thinks he was a good person. Yet strangers on the internet who never met him think he was a terrible person.

Now did he have another conviction in 2007, or what? I'm really confused about that.

I can't understand the people on FB who are defending him and blaming the victim. It's making me stabby. I don't care if she's the most awful woman in Texas--nobody deserves to be restrained and assaulted. And I hardly think he would have killed himself if he was a pure innocent dove.
Seems to be a more popular thing to do these days, blame victims. I know this has been happening for years (victim blaming), it just seems more prevalent with SM and in some other threads I’ve been in lately, moo.

She rang how many doorbells and not a one would help her? Luke 10 25-37

I believe they were sleeping. Not everybody jumps out of bed in the middle of the night if somebody rings their doorbell. Actually one person did, but she was already gone when they got to the door.

We don’t know if there was a crime. DV is a crime, for instance. She was scared that night. And we were afriad for the unknown woman.

She was home alone and she was scared. That is an anxiety issue, not a domestic violence issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Imdoey