TX - 'Lori Ruff', Longview, WhtFem UP9863, *General Discussion and Theories* #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

She said Barbara. She is going to ask Sonya howder if she knows her!!! ( this was her suggestion not mine, so evidently she knows/ is connected to the howders!!!!!

Maybe we can get a break with this

She said Barbara. She is going to ask Sonya howder if she knows her!!! ( this was her suggestion not mine, so evidently she knows/ is connected to the howders!!!!!

Maybe we can get a break with this
Isn't there a Barbara H? That rings a bell. I'm going to try and see if I can look back and find where I read about her. Nice work.

I hope the H family does not get upset or feel intruded on if they see this forum. A lot of their family history has been researched, picked apart, and posted here. Keep in mind this thread is public and anyone can see it. I think every family has skeletons in their closet that most would prefer internet strangers not dig into in such a way. Just my opinions.

I wouldn't post detailed info here. I think it would be against forum rules anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's been info posted about criminal records and just in general their family tree. I have enough faith in detective velling to believe he investigated the lead and if it was credible info then the case would likely be closed. Imagine finding out your family got dragged into such a situation strictly because one person said your family member MAY be the UID? There is not concrete proof this family is in any way involved in this yet their personal information is being put on display here. Isn't it against TOS to even contact this family???

Just trying to amuse myself tonight and came across a yearbook site. This one happens to cover schools in an area near Rochester, NY that I am guessing is heavily Amish (guessing because the town is on Cheese Factory Road.). Anyway, I didn't know that, I was just leafing through yearbooks to remind myself of the style of clothing in various years from the mid seventies through the eighties for other cases I look into. So, I came across a style of dress that caught me by surprise. Row 14 of the linked page. I believe they are probably Amish. There may be a couple others on the page as well. One just reminded me of FLEK and now I'm back to that theory. I am now interested in yearbooks in Amish areas in the Midwest. LOL.

http://mendonlibrary.org/may-k-houck-digital-collection?filter=1983&filterCollection=Yearbook

In the 13th and 14th rows of pictures, there are three girls with distinctly different tops from the rest of the pictures. I don't know if it was a fashion thing back then, but the tops seem ultraconservative compared to the rest.

In the 13th and 14th rows of pictures, there are three girls with distinctly different tops from the rest of the pictures. I don't know if it was a fashion thing back then, but the tops seem ultraconservative compared to the rest.

Those girls aren't Amish. Amish girls would not be in public school and they'd definitely not be in public without their head covering.

Those three girls don't look like they are ultra-conservatively dressed for the time period to me. Madonna had not yet arrived. I've seen plenty of pictures of young women with high collars and long sleeves like that from the time period.

There's been info posted about criminal records and just in general their family tree. I have enough faith in detective velling to believe he investigated the lead and if it was credible info then the case would likely be closed. Imagine finding out your family got dragged into such a situation strictly because one person said your family member MAY be the UID? There is not concrete proof this family is in any way involved in this yet their personal information is being put on display here. Isn't it against TOS to even contact this family???

I agree, contacting this family is going overboard, as much as I want to get to the bottom of this mystery I don't think it's our place to drag them into this. I sincerely doubt we are going to find info that a seasoned investigator couldn't.

Well if we are not going to find any info a " seasoned investigator" would we should really just shut the whole thread down and stop wasting our time.
One thing that annoys me is persons on the thread who have lots of opinions but contribute nothing BUT their opinions. I would LOVE it if all would jump in and start " investigating"

I would also like to say I have not contacted the Howders. I spoke to a person who is in no way mentioned to be involved in the case. No rules are broken.

I agree, contacting this family is going overboard, as much as I want to get to the bottom of this mystery I don't think it's our place to drag them into this. I sincerely doubt we are going to find info that a seasoned investigator couldn't.
Well I believe that the UID forums have the best success rates of any of websleuths and that might be partly due to people doggedly following up any and all info. If members aren't to investigate any leads (and the FH family is most definitely a lead as detailed in the FOIA document) then you have to question what the whole point of websleuths is? Honestly, what do you think should we be investigating instead?

Of course people need to be respectful and tread carefully but IMO that doesn't mean just sitting around chatting on the forum without actually taking any action. There's nothing that's been posted here that isn't info already available by googling the individuals' names, *searching on ancestry etc*, and in most cases everyone's very careful to not post full names so someone just popping in to the thread would never know who on earth was being discussed anyway.

Well if we are not going to find any info a " seasoned investigator" would we should really just shut the whole thread down and stop wasting our time.
One thing that annoys me is persons on the thread who have lots of opinions but contribute nothing BUT their opinions. I would LOVE it if all would jump in and start " investigating"

After a lot of time spent lurking I decided to finally share some of my thoughts, thoughts that you actually ended up looking into yourself if I recall correctly. I rarely comment because this thread is very cliquey and I don't feel comfortable getting involved. However I felt I needed to say something in defense of a family that as far as we know has nothing to do with this, yet their personal history is being put on display for anyone to see. In my opinion it's not tasteful and I don't think a lot of things that have been posted/sleuthed are allowed here.

All just my personal opinions.

I know you have been here for a few years working on this. Do you have a plausible theory and connection between LEK and the Amish?

If you do I would love to hear it. Because I'm leaning that way.

I know you have been here for a few years working on this. Do you have a plausible theory and connection between LEK and the Amish?

If you do I would love to hear it. Because I'm leaning that way.

Could they be German Baptists or Quakers? I grew up in the Midwest and some of these kids would end up in school programs due to their small populations. German Baptists especially--they had interesting views on technology, from what I recall. They were fine with a lot of it if it directly helped their business, but that's it. These members would look like the Amish to laypeople. But they'll often drive cars and use traditional banking/business systems. (They also make the best peanut butter pies.)

Folks, I received a blouse like that as a Christmas gift in 1982. Stand collar with a ruffle, Ruffles in the shoulder seams, Ruffles at the cuffs, Ruffles on each side of the placket and Ruffles down the bodice for good measure.

Permanent press, thank Heaven.

Rather typical blouse for the time.

IDK why my iPad is capitalizing Ruffles.

Love, love, love the recent work here!!!

:seeya:

After a lot of time spent lurking I decided to finally share some of my thoughts, thoughts that you actually ended up looking into yourself if I recall correctly. I rarely comment because this thread is very cliquey and I don't feel comfortable getting involved. However I felt I needed to say something in defense of a family that as far as we know has nothing to do with this, yet their personal history is being put on display for anyone to see. In my opinion it's not tasteful and I don't think a lot of things that have been posted/sleuthed are allowed here.

I understand your concerns Bears10, but with the Howder family, they have a lot of public information online that anyone can access. If one is willing to pay a few extra dollars there is even more information.
I agree that private information should not be shared or information that we know a person wouldn't likely want shared with the public.
I found a lot of information on some of the family members and chose not to post it on this forum because people have children and grandchildren and certain information doesn't need to be shared if I can't make a direct link to FLEK. Kids and teenagers can be cruel, but I have a feeling that anyone associated with the Howder family probably knows all about their history.
Thank you for sharing your concerns on the forum, I hope that you and others don't hesitate to share.

I rarely comment because this thread is very cliquey and I don't feel comfortable getting involved.

I'm not involved (in posting, anyway, but I do tons of reading...oh boy do I ever) on any (other) internet forums for this reason, because I agree that the internet can be a bit reminiscent of high school... but I have to say that that isn't the case here. This board is uncommonly welcoming to any thought provoking posts proposing new ideas or angles, or anyone willing to actually do some digging, which is super inspiring and the opposite of cliquey. However I may also just be exceptionally naive, oblivious and totally unwelcome and not even noticing it because LEK poses such an all-consuming mystery!

I would love to hear about anyone's theories on FLEK and be given a peek into everyone's investigations, regardless of whether they are a regular poster or not. I think the more people who share, the closer this case will be to a conclusion.

Bears, I have read some threads on webslueths and definitely thought a little "cliquey" but was surprised you thought that about this thread. All I can think of is a lot of us are intrigued and passionate about LEK.
IDK just guessing that maybe a little extra "sleuthing" is allowed due to the Velling report.
This is a sleuthing site and there is so little to go on, so any info could be important.

I do respect your view, perhaps reminder to "think" b4 we post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandrz717