TX - 'Lori Ruff', Longview, WhtFem UP9863, *General Discussion and Theories* #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mary Ann scovel's mother remarried after her death. Somebody with the same name died in Bakersfield Ca in 2013. The age doesn't match and it isn't her but weird coincidence. So many facts in this case that connections can be made from seemingly random facts.

I found both ***** sisters alive, well, and under their married names on Facebook.

I removed the last name in the quote just to protect their privacy.

According to my research on Ancestry the sister named Susie was actually a first cousin--meaning the cold case website may have got it wrong. Another newspaper clipping about the case named the 3rd sister Brenda and revealed these were half sisters. Mary's mother remarried twice so I don't know Brenda's maiden name and her married name is very common. Please PM me the links you found. Thanks!

Mary Ann's mother remarried after her death. Somebody with the same name died in Bakersfield Ca in 2013. The age doesn't match and it isn't her but weird coincidence. So many facts in this case that connections can be made from seemingly random facts.

I saw that too but I just chalked it up to her mother's name being a very common first name.

What Lori Ruff did was fairly common knowledge at the time. I knew about people taking identities of dead infants back in the 70's but I am not sure where I first read about it. It was in a few movies and books as well as the news back then. I am thinking Lori could not resolve what ever issue she had legally so created a new identity. I am sure its been mentioned somewhere on here but a movie came out on the subject in the 80's called Positive ID that tells people how to do it. I have mentioned this before, but the laws for employment changed where employers had to complete the I9's in 1986 so perhaps she made this change to avoid immigration laws. If she were from say canada, by taking the identity of Becky she would become an instant citizen. It might not be that simple, since she also seems to have a lot of movement during this time, only ending up in Texas. I am not sure what the point of the Idaho ID is. Perhaps she researched where it is easy to get an official ID and where it is easy to change your name. The judges order for the name change mentions she has proven residency in Dallas County. It is odd that less than a month before she gets an Idaho ID. Seems that would argue against residency in TX. If we could get hold of her actual application for name change in Dallas, maybe it would show how she proved residency. Wonder if they keep such records for this long.
Yes I know, I think you missed the point of my comment but I can't elaborate without basically slandering someone unfortunately.

You can ignore my above post.

I shouldn't sleuth while at work, I get sloppy. *blush*

I read that they believe she was from northwestern US or the west coast because she had no real accent. Which makes Washington and Idaho a good focus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have read that too. I just wondered maybe if everyone heard her, one might recognize some regional trait. People move so much I I think our regional accents are blending. It still might be interesting to hear what she sounded like.

I have read that too. I just wondered maybe if everyone heard her, one might recognize some regional trait. People move so much I I think our regional accents are blending. It still might be interesting to hear what she sounded like.

I have often thought this as well. Not only regional accents but regional phrases, figures of speech or grammar could help narrow down where she could have grown up. When I think of someone with no accent I actually think of the lower midwest (Iowa, Illinois, Ohio, etc) more than I think of the Western states. To my ear, people from California/Washington/Oregon have a specific regional dialect, though it is less obvious of an accent than Southern or New England accents there IS an accent to the west coast, IMO. I haven't known enough people from Arizona or Idaho to judge what their accent is like but I bet there are tells that natives of those states would detect as well.

On that note, it would possibly point o the Princeton address, which is vERY close to the home that she lived with with Blake in Leonard

Can you supply the Princeton, Tx address? TIA

Can you supply the Princeton, Tx address? TIA

2b91cf03513379a8bb036e5b54ea07e7.png

Today I looked up Jenifer Perkins. It's way too common of a name to know with certainty which one the note-writer was interested in but one stood out that I don't think has been mentioned before. There was a Jennifer Perkins in the 1986 Bakersfield, California city directory. She was the Vice President of Marketing for Mohawk Petroleum. With there also being a number to Mallon Oil on the page I thought that could be significant some how. Could FLEK have been some kind of oil company whistleblower? Or an inside trader? Or maybe her father really was a failed stockbroker who had invested in Mallon Oil and Mohawk Petroleum but the investments didn't work out and he had to call Ben Perkins the bankruptcy lawyer? IDK, there are so many possibilities.
attachment.php

Attachments

• JPerkins.png
    JPerkins.png
    491.7 KB · Views: 164
I have often thought this as well. Not only regional accents but regional phrases, figures of speech or grammar could help narrow down where she could have grown up. When I think of someone with no accent I actually think of the lower midwest (Iowa, Illinois, Ohio, etc) more than I think of the Western states. To my ear, people from California/Washington/Oregon have a specific regional dialect, though it is less obvious of an accent than Southern or New England accents there IS an accent to the west coast, IMO. I haven't known enough people from Arizona or Idaho to judge what their accent is like but I bet there are tells that natives of those states would detect as well.

US news anchors while climbing the ranks usually spend time in the Midwest to lose any regional accent. Or they're born there. Tom Brokaw is from Nebraska.

Looks like it could be an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number, they DO begin with 9. I can't imagine that lead went anywhere, as Veling worked for the SSA.

If I recall correctly, getting a TIN was not an easy process with the IRS, it is not like walking into the DMV and most of the TIN's issued were for people from other countries working in the states that could not get a social security number.

Linda good catch on the fathers Perkins lead. I was thinking she might have been a Petkins looking for other family members.

Lastly, IIRC the phone company had special numbers that allowed their employees to check phone lines to make sure they were working. When those numbers got out to unscrupulous people they would use it to make long distance phone calls for free. It is is possible she was using the CNA number like that and tried from a different state and it didn't work. They were readily available in the Midwest for cash.

Yep, we need FLEK to complete this:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/12/20/sunday-review/dialect-quiz-map.html?_r=0

and post the results right here!!!

:seeya:

I'm a native of the Pacific Northwest -- actually a third-generation resident of Portland, Oregon -- & although I've taken this test several times it never gets my native accent right. Sometimes it's clear that my word choice is mis-scored (I've never been told that the local word for a road that runs along a highway is not a "frontage road") or I pick the wrong word (always known those arthropods as pill bugs, although I've called them potato bugs -- which appears to be the preferred local usage). I just took the test, & it determined that I'm a native of Stockton CA, Modesto CA, or Salt Lake City UT -- none of which I've set foot in. (Well, I once drove thru Salt Lake City, but didn't stop long enough to even say "Hi" to anyone.)

Of course, I'm rarely in a group of predominantly native Portland speakers any more, so I've probably lost any trace of my native dialect.

I wonder if LEK had moved around so much as a kid that she never acquired a distinctive local accent...

The case of Charles Oren Mensik is interesting. He was convicted of mail fraud but suspected of embezzling 20 million dollars from a savings and loan company he owned. He escaped from prison in the 70s and lived under a fake name until 1984 when he finally turned turned himself in. His wife moved to Scottsdale although the authorities found her and forcibly sold her home. They had at least two daughters. One seems to have disappeared.

For all the discussion of "These Eyes" has it been considered that this could be just the note-writer's transcription of "Visages," which is pronounced VEE-ZAHJ? Presumably taken down while listening to someone on the phone.

ETA: Yes, I see it mentioned in the "These Eyes" thread, which I hadn't yet read.

The case of Charles Oren Mensik is interesting. He was convicted of mail fraud but suspected of embezzling 20 million dollars from a savings and loan company he owned. He escaped from prison in the 70s and lived under a fake name until 1984 when he finally turned turned himself in. His wife moved to Scottsdale although the authorities found her and forcibly sold her home. They had at least two daughters. One seems to have disappeared.

That is a very interesting case. I can't find anything on his daughters, do you know when they were born? This article from 1984 says he and his wife had been married 52 years.
https://news.google.com/newspapers?...AAIBAJ&sjid=bugFAAAAIBAJ&pg=4088,681486&hl=en

Doing the math, that is 1932. For FLEK to be his daughter she would have had to be born before 1964 when he went to prison. His wife would have been in her 50's by then--too old have a baby (unless they married when she was 15 and she had a change-of-life/surprise baby in her mid to late 40's). Seems unlikely. It would be more likely for FLEK to be his granddaughter than his daughter, IMO.

I'm looking for exact birthdate but the youngest appears to have been born between 1951 and 1961.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alicat3