TX - 'Lori Ruff', Longview, WhtFem UP9863, *General Discussion and Theories* #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I agree with you Mrseeker. It's clear there is no budget and this case in not a priority. I don't even know what draws me to this case so much. Perhaps it's a feeling I have that Lori endured something awful. Perhaps it's that I feel I can related to her in some way. IDK. Whatever it is, I want to figure it out and I want her story to be told--the real story of who she was before she became Lori. People have attached so many wild stories to this woman. In our imaginations, she was a cult escapee, victim of domestic violence, victim of abuse, runaway teen, illegal immigrant, kidnapping victim, sex trafficking victim, witness to a murder, mob informant, murderess, and a kgb agent who faked her death in 1988. I just want to know what is true.

As an aside, I'll be taking a break from this case starting Monday. I've got a life to live, but I'll be back eventually. :)

Yes, I agree with you Mrseeker. It's clear there is no budget and this case in not a priority. I don't even know what draws me to this case so much. Perhaps it's a feeling I have that Lori endured something awful. Perhaps it's that I feel I can related to her in some way. IDK. Whatever it is, I want to figure it out and I want her story to be told--the real story of who she was before she became Lori. People have attached so many wild stories to this woman. In our imaginations, she was a cult escapee, victim of domestic violence, victim of abuse, runaway teen, illegal immigrant, kidnapping victim, sex trafficking victim, witness to a murder, mob informant, murderess, and a kgb agent who faked her death in 1988. I just want to know what is true.

As an aside, I'll be taking a break from this case starting Monday. I've got a life to live, but I'll be back eventually. :)

Have a good break. I think of this as jack the ripper. I want to know too. I doubt it makes a difference to anyone save her daughter. Maybe when we are long gone, her daughter will solve this. I don't think she was a bad person. I think she was a desperate person. I would love to know her story. I am nosy by nature, and this is quite a mystery.

Okay, I'm back after a 24-hour blitz (I pulled an all-nighter for the first time in awhile). I'll need to apologize in advance for this long tome. Also want to preface my comments a bit. A couple years ago I was compelled to track down a part of my own convoluted family history (involving adoptions and aliases with purposeful hiding of tracks). So I've acquired a bit of rudimentary experience at least in sniffing out that sort of situation. And I've found I enjoy the dig, so decided to try one with this situation.

What I've found in 24 hours fills up more than a dozen pages of legal pad notes (and a growing word doc Timeline), and while some of the connecting of dots may be circumstantial, the addresses, names, dates, and other facts on record are starting to look like they might come together a bit if I keep plugging. For me it's similar to forming the outside 'frame' of a puzzle. I use two or more genealogy sites with access to records like death indexes, city directories, gravesite records, newspapers, yearbooks, etc. What I do when I get online is do a general name search, then begin to assemble a tree, starting with the people closest to the person. Since we didn't know Lori's name for sure, I just went ahead and started with Lori Kennedy, with a ten-year birth range. The genealogical sites led me immediately to her possible relatives, other names she's used, as well as to her father's, brother's, and a probable mother's name based on the age at marriage and the year she divorced their dad. Besides the aliases there are several marriages, remarriages, and divorces cluttering up the research landscape...but the upside is, with all those otherwise random people interconnecting, you get a lot of 'place' clues and then some "aha" moments when you look at the correlating dates and make some connections. That same thing helped me in finding our missing half-families for our family tree in our alias situation. The only thing different with FLEK's family tree is, there are repeated and purposeful changing of birthdates, middle initials, and even the occasional random surname, by more than just one person. I'll interject here to say, lawyer Ben Perkins does seem likely to have been involved in helping this family hide their identities--at least at first glance. Either that or he was oblivious to at least two of those family members using his surname from time to time. In that he was disbarred for repeated misconduct, it would not surprise me...though I haven't found proof of that, yet. JMO. But I do find it coincidental that he was disbarred the year after FLEK's identity change.

I wish I'd had the time to read all these threads last night, but thought it'd be best to start with a clean mental slate to get the barebones down first by plotting facts on a timeline and tree. I did glance at the yearbook thread on here and the thread having to do with her Notes. The yearbook thread didn't help me as much since it seemed to be largely high school, so I checked for earlier ones on the genealogy site. I did find a "Lori Kennedy" (in CA) with an 8th grade group shot that I think may be her; the site I was using prompted me with that same school's yearbook 3 years later for another dark-haired gal with an altogether different name. But that photo is too dark for me to make a call. I'm not dissuaded by the different name; that happened almost every year with school kids' yearbooks with my own family tree. ("Every year I had a new last name," was how one relative put it when we had our reunion.)

Anyway, after my marathon genealogy search last night, and a short nap this morning I did take a chance to skim through a few pages of General Discussion and Theory thread 1, and was interested in this post #279 from Angel629:

Today, I read about a drug case that gave me some ideas why a young woman might have had to disappear quickly in the 80s. From 1986-early 1988, an American man named Brian Peter Daniels, who lived in Bangkok (and owned a strip joint there), devised a plan to distribute very large amounts of pot throughout the U.S., Canada, Europe, and Asia. With the help of friends in several countries (some, ex-military), he succeeded in becoming the largest pot distributor of all time (moving 42 TONS in one shipment alone). The pot was brought, by ship, to the Pacific Northwest and distributed throughout the entire West Coast. One major base of operations was a ranch in Bakersfield, CA. The money was laundered in Reno, NV, which is where things unraveled after the arrest of the primary money mover. The entire syndicate was eventually dismantled, with the help of several key informants. People who played peripheral roles in this ring (and their families) were also affected. A couple of people who the feds wanted to speak with, disappeared. I could see a young woman who perhaps only dated one of the "small fish", having to take off.
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...cussion-and-Theories*-1&p=9687329#post9687329

BBM

This post interested me because of the reference to Bangkok, Bakersfield, and the year 1988, which was a pivotal year for this mystery person. Besides all the 1988 happenings we have listed in the the thread media already, there are a few other things that came up last night in my searches (subject to future correction):

- FLEK appears to have used the alias Lori Kennedy prior to moving to Texas, while still living in Caifornia. If I've got the right gal, she appears to be labeled with that name in a photo in a 1973 junior high yearbook. (She is also ten years older than that 1969 birthdate if my digging is correct; born in 1959.) Three years later FLEK's class (now 11th grade) again has a group photo, but if it's her in that photo, she has an entirely different given name and surname...though I'm not as firm on if it's her since the group photo is too dark to see clearly. However, the genealogy site seems convinced these two same-age, same schooled gals are related when searching for hints under "Lori Kennedy."

- the name Lori Kennedy is used on the 1988 'job and rental' letter of recommendation which is signed by someone else who keeps popping up on my ancestry hints - and I only just now made the connection when reading that letter again. The letter is oddly typed on what looks to be hotel stationary from Bangkok, Thailand - which is interesting given the huge drug bust mentioned above with ties to Bangkok. The letter is signed by a "Roger Steinbeck". This person keeps coming up in my hints list, but I haven't found the time to explore him fully, yet--only that he was also a Californian who divorced a wife with an exotic-sounding name in 1975.

- FLEK's father and mother divorced in the 1970s; he married and divorced twice over the next dozen years an Asian woman who was naturalized in 1972 after marrying FLEK's dad. This Asian woman's name appears on a CA death index with the "Perkins" surname and slight variation to birthdate. I'm not 100% certain it's her, yet, but whenever I run that search, the Bangkok letter-signer's name also comes up (Roger Steinbeck) along with his 1975 CA divorce record. There is also, curiously, an association to the city of Jackson for the Asian lady which needs more exploring.

-FLEK's mother's 2nd marriage, while short-lived, was to a man who had a RR (rural route) address in Bakersfield, CA in 1988. Same time and place where FLEK picked up that birth certificate for a little girl born there years earlier; same time and place where the feds were closing down a major drug operation at a ranch there and rounding up witnesses.

- FLEK's father had several addresses in close proximity in CA in the 1990s (one the same town as her 8th grade yearbook town) and the relatives' names associated with the addresses include the Asian woman who divorced him in the 80s, FLEK'S brother, and a "Jennifer" - which might possibly be one of FLEK's aliases?? FLEK's dad died in same town where she attended junior high (if my research is correct).

This is all just the conglomeration assembled so far. My leanings at this stage should probably be thought of as researched opinion, and for that reason--at least at this point--I probably won't be sharing the names and photos I've found, though after I get a bit more organized and confident in what I've found I can pass them along. And since I'm new to the thread, for all I know, some of this may already be known by you, though it's all a new jumble to me. :)

Sorry for the length!

Your post is excellent. I am not trying to attack Velling, but he was handed this case politically. Let's face it. There is no crime to solve here. Lori, and i use Lori because she chose to be called that, but Lori took the identity of a dead child. Her crime there is she lied to California. Then she lied to Idaho who she was. Then she lied to the state of texas and a dallas county judge about who she was and got declared to be Lori Erica Kennedy. From there she obtained a passport and social security card, in effect legally. She was declared by the state of texas, though by fraud, to be Lori. Now what is the interest in solving this? There is no interest by the US government, or any state to solve this case. There is no reason to spend one dollar of tax payer's money. She committed no known financial fraud. There are no known victims. She is not alive. If she were believe me we would know who she is. The US marshalls and the FBI would solve this mystery in a minute. Mr. Velling's interest is no more than are ours. He is curious. He won't let it go. But she is unlike anything he has ever seen, so he is not qualified to investigate this. And the people who are, are not legally able to spend our money to work on it. THis is merely a curiosity. I do not think Lori wrote those scribbles on that note, despite mr. Velling's opinions.

Obtaining another person's SSN is a Federal crime and the case is likely connected to a broker of stolen identities. I mean, these are basic, acceptable facts. If you can't accept basic facts such as handwriting confirmation then you might as well claim she was an alien.

- FLEK appears to have used the alias Lori Kennedy prior to moving to Texas, while still living in Caifornia. If I've got the right gal, she appears to be labeled with that name in a photo in a 1973 junior high yearbook. (She is also ten years older than that 1969 birthdate if my digging is correct; born in 1959.) Three years later FLEK's class (now 11th grade) again has a group photo, but if it's her in that photo, she has an entirely different given name and surname...though I'm not as firm on if it's her since the group photo is too dark to see clearly. However, the genealogy site seems convinced these two same-age, same schooled gals are related when searching for hints under "Lori Kennedy."

I just want to clarify that when you write FLEK you are looking at a possible candidate for FLEK who grew up in California but has no proven connection to this Doe, correct? I know this has been looked into and there are indeed real Lori Kennedys in the LA area who are in the right age range, but none of them dropped off the map mysteriously in a way that coordinated with this case. I am dying to see the yearbook photo you are referencing as you sound quite certain it's her - what is the name of the school?

Another thing to watch out for is Ancestry's algorithms.. It will make suggestions based off of what other people have clicked on and looked at who have also looked at a record you are investigating, not necessarily always based off of a real connection between the record you are looking at and the record it's suggesting. I have wondered if it's possible that the reason Steinbeck keeps showing up on possible LEK related records is because sleuths are looking at both, and Ancestry has calculated that they must therefore be connected somehow, even though in reality the only connection is us trying to figure out if there is a connection.. I hope that makes sense! lol

I just want to clarify that when you write FLEK you are looking at a possible candidate for FLEK who grew up in California but has no proven connection to this Doe, correct? I know this has been looked into and there are indeed real Lori Kennedys in the LA area who are in the right age range, but none of them dropped off the map mysteriously in a way that coordinated with this case. I am dying to see the yearbook photo you are referencing as you sound quite certain it's her - what is the name of the school?

Another thing to watch out for is Ancestry's algorithms.. It will make suggestions based off of what other people have clicked on and looked at who have also looked at a record you are investigating, not necessarily always based off of a real connection between the record you are looking at and the record it's suggesting. I have wondered if it's possible that the reason Steinbeck keeps showing up on possible LEK related records is because sleuths are looking at both, and Ancestry has calculated that they must therefore be connected somehow, even though in reality the only connection is us trying to figure out if there is a connection.. I hope that makes sense! lol

Yes, you're correct on both counts and it makes perfect sense! This is about a candidate for Lori from CA not born with that name but one which ancestry suggests may be her based on multiple (one hopes) other connections such as birth dates, mother's maiden name, death certificate info, etc. I've been using these sites for several years, now, even assisted the professional genealogist at her request who was looking for my missing family members for an inheritance situation. So I know not every hint is valid, and especially know to avoid using other trees for substantiation. You're right; those who are researching on any of these sites need to make a judgment call for whether there is supporting info to support the hint; sometimes a hint needs to be ignored for a bit; many other times simply ignored altogether.

What I listed tonight was just the result of doing a search on Lori Kennedy in CA. What I want to do next is focus more on anything found doing the search under what I am thinking is her birth name. If she used Lori Kennedy at age 14 and then another name altogether at age 17, I'm curious if I'll find anything much in the public records under her birth name; so far, very little. I'll keep you posted. I will say this...there is an absolute SLEW of addresses for Lori as well as for a few other other close family members, including many PO box addresses. This is just one if the reasons my instincts (at least today) are telling me this might be a person to study further.

Yes, you're correct on both counts and it makes perfect sense! This is about a candidate for Lori from CA not born with that name but one which ancestry suggests may be her based on multiple (one hopes) other connections such as birth dates, mother's maiden name, death certificate info, etc. I've been using these sites for several years, now, even assisted the professional genealogist at her request who was looking for my missing family members for an inheritance situation. So I know not every hint is valid, and especially know to avoid using other trees for substantiation. You're right; those who are researching on any of these sites need to make a judgment call for whether there is supporting info to support the hint; sometimes a hint needs to be ignored for a bit; many other times simply ignored altogether.

What I listed tonight was just the result of doing a search on Lori Kennedy in CA. What I want to do next is focus more on anything found doing the search under what I am thinking is her birth name. If she used Lori Kennedy at age 14 and then another name altogether at age 17, I'm curious if I'll find anything much in the public records under her birth name; so far, very little. I'll keep you posted. I will say this...there is an absolute SLEW of addresses for Lori as well as for a few other other close family members, including many PO box addresses. This is just one if the reasons my instincts (at least today) are telling me this might be a person to study further.

Exciting stuff, please keep posting what you can :) What was the name of the middle school, if I might ask? TIY!

Essie is a man. He has a son with same name who is a "Jr". He lived in North Hollywood and Las Vegas. He was a financial consultant. He owned Pegasus Consulting and his son does LOTS of community service stuff( as I am sure his dad did). The interesting part is their heritage is from the Philippines. The woman who contacted me saying she knew Lori in the early 90s had connections to the Philippines.
For reference, there is a very heavy Philippines prescience in California, especially in health care. The US government imported them to work in healthcare and paid for their education. ( I used to live in San Diego, and worked in a hospital that was mostly that way)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lacsina is also a Philippino name and the coroner who has been discussed is originally from the Philippines.

That Espie name is really uncommon. I can't find a thing about her. Ancestry only has people by that surname coming over from Ireland in the 1800's. I think perhaps it is misspelled. I even tried searching with Esperanza instead of Espie. If anyone finds another article with this persons name spelled differently, please share. Thanks!

Okay, I'm four pages behind, but what if the writer misunderstood the initials S. P. ?

ETA: Thanks again, Linda, for straightening this out!!! Essie, thanks.

<modsnip>

I believe there are motivations beyond crimes that may or may not have been committed in this instance. 1. There is a family and community that wants to know who was living amongst them; 2. We examine how she obtained her new identity. (While I don't think FLEK did it herself, I'm pretty sure she lacked the intelligence for such an undertaking. But I don't think she would have known an identity broker herself. My gut says that she used a women's domestic violence center to guide her.)

On the handwriting, I'm currently in the camp that she wrote it. Until an expert rules that out, I'm going with the easiest and most simplistic explanation.

One more thing to note...whenever I start to wonder what FLEK was capable of, I just remember that this was the woman who wanted an Easy-Bake oven for that fateful 2010 Chrstmas.

<modsnip>

<modsnip>
It could be as simple as she wanted to be a US citizen. She might have been living here illegally and found this a quick fix. Or she might have run up debts so high and could not file bankruptcy or just wanted away from a bad situation. I think her last couple of years were very tragic. I suspect she was suffering postpartum depression and her husband, not the sharpest knife in the drawer, did not come to her rescue but pushed her away which led to the suicide.

I've been wanting to put this out there, but never saw a good opening, so I'll just do it.

The Day of the Jackal by Frederick Forsyth is an example of how well known the process was back in the day. The main character found a dead kid who would have been his age if the kid had lived. He got that kid's birth certificate. BOOM, new ID. This all took place in England, but Forsyth conveniently discussed the differences for doing it in the US. This book was published in 1971 and was popular enough to be made into a movie starring Edward Fox and Michel Lonsdale.

It could be as simple as she wanted to be a US citizen. She might have been living here illegally and found this a quick fix. Or she might have run up debts so high and could not file bankruptcy or just wanted away from a bad situation. I think her last couple of years were very tragic. I suspect she was suffering postpartum depression and her husband, not the sharpest knife in the drawer, did not come to her rescue but pushed her away which led to the suicide.

The debt thing doesn't make sense given that she ended up filing bankruptcy after being LEK and didn't start up a new identity instead.

Also, as far as immigration went, Ronald Reagan made that much easier in 1986.

Also, you have to remember this lady wasn't just batcrap nuts after the baby. But before it too.

The debt thing doesn't make sense given that she ended up filing bankruptcy after being LEK and didn't start up a new identity instead.

Also, as far as immigration went, Ronald Reagan made that much easier in 1986.

Also, you have to remember this lady wasn't just batcrap nuts after the baby. But before it too.

I disagree. Employment law changed in 1986 making use of fake green cards and id's useless. I was living in Southern Cal at this time. I worked with lots of illegals who had really fake looking docs but before late 1986 the employers were not required to authenticate anything. In '86 the I-9 form came into existence and lots of illegals lost their jobs. You could get a fake green card fo $10 and fake social security cards but until i-9 employers did not have to worry if they were real. They looked fake too. I also knew people who got Reagan amnesty and that depended on how long you were here as I remember. So if you were facing the fact your fake documents were going to be worthless, you might get desperate. Take the identity from a dead American infant and instantly become a citizen- problem solved. I also don't think she was nuts before the pregnancy. I am not saying she was well adjusted, but look what she accomplished. She was not dumb, nor irrational. Nobody described her as "batcrap nuts" during the time she was in texas until the last year of her life when the neighbors saw her in the yard, and of course blake's <modsnip> family.

I've been wanting to put this out there, but never saw a good opening, so I'll just do it.

The Day of the Jackal by Frederick Forsyth is an example of how well known the process was back in the day. The main character found a dead kid who would have been his age if the kid had lived. He got that kid's birth certificate. BOOM, new ID. This all took place in England, but Forsyth conveniently discussed the differences for doing it in the US. This book was published in 1971 and was popular enough to be made into a movie starring Edward Fox and Michel Lonsdale.

As was mentioned earlier there was also a movie in 1987 with this exact plot. Coincidently it was written by a Professor from UT Arlington "Positive ID" I put links in a few pages ago. I remember this method of changing identities in many news reports back in the 70's and 80's. There were all kinds of stories about how to stop this or of people doing it.

I disagree. Employment law changed in 1986 making use of fake green cards and id's useless. I was living in Southern Cal at this time. I worked with lots of illegals who had really fake looking docs but before late 1986 the employers were not required to authenticate anything. In '86 the I-9 form came into existence and lots of illegals lost their jobs. You could get a fake green card fo $10 and fake social security cards but until i-9 employers did not have to worry if they were real. They looked fake too. I also knew people who got Reagan amnesty and that depended on how long you were here as I remember. So if you were facing the fact your fake documents were going to be worthless, you might get desperate. Take the identity from a dead American infant and instantly become a citizen- problem solved. I also don't think she was nuts before the pregnancy. I am not saying she was well adjusted, but look what she accomplished. She was not dumb, nor irrational. Nobody described her as "batcrap nuts" during the time she was in texas until the last year of her life when the neighbors saw her in the yard, and of course blake's <modsnip> family.

No, I'm describing her as batcrap nuts. That's my own thesis based upon the evidence we've been given. Do I think she was coming from an extremely difficult situation? Absolutely. Do I empathize with her? yes.

She never seemed "well-adjusted." The only person that has come forward says that she had "more problems than she could handle". She moved around a lot. She was a young woman with the phone numbers of three attorney on a note. So, I don't think it's so simple.

I am thinking that she did not reinvent herself because of finances or bankruptcy . . . if that were the case, she knew the drill and could have rebooted herself once again in 1998ish.

I am thinking that she did not reinvent herself because of finances or bankruptcy . . . if that were the case, she knew the drill and could have rebooted herself once again in 1998ish.

My gut has always told me that she came from a violent and abusive situation, that possibly was completely separated from mainstream society.

Re: using the stolen identity to obtain US citizenship

FLEK is described as having no discernible accent.

Where do you think she grew up in this scenario?

(Oh, I want to quiz those Texas Business Women, I think we all do!!!)

Re: using the stolen identity to obtain US citizenship

FLEK is described as having no discernible accent.

Where do you think she grew up in this scenario?

(Oh, I want to quiz those Texas Business Women, I think we all do!!!)

She might have entered illegally as a child or perhaps she is from Canada. She could have lived here for sometime and lost whatever accent she had. Since she was changing her identity, she might have worked at losing an accent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member