Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why did missing 4-year-old Maleah Davis need brain surgery? | khou.com

"....When Maleah got out of ICU, doctors ordered that she wear a helmet for 12-24 months while she healed.
Doctors said the injury and explanation did not add up and suspected abuse, according to court records.

“Maleah Davis suffered traumatic brain injury with evidence of more than one injury while in the possession of her mother Brittany Bowens and the mother’s paramour, Derion Vence,” court records read. “Neither caregiver had an explanation that was consistent with the injury.”..

Brittany Bowens and the mother’s paramour, Derion Vence.

CPS still has temporary custody of Maleah. The next court date is set for May 22. ..."

Emphasis Mine

What the... half of her skull had to be removed after a fall where she bumped her head on the table ?
I think not.
A wealth of new info. here.

And her helmet ... was she wearing this when abducted ?
Interesting choice of words... "... the mother's paramour..."
As if the news is nicely saying her 'baby daddy'.
Keeping it classy, msm .

Neither caregiver had an explanation for the injuries to Maleah that would satisfy either doctors or CPS. So why did the judge return her ?
There are vibes in Maleah's situation that echo AJ Freund's case.

Sitting on the fence a bit about BB. She must have known what DV was like.
MOO

Paramour is a child welfare term... we use it in court reports, documentation, notes, meetings, etc. Judges and attorneys, juvenile officers and case workers, service workers and therapists; everyone who is working in conjunction with Children’s Division & the juvenile courts, we are all conditioned to use this phrase. My assessment is that this info was taken verbatim from a court report, written by the children’s case worker. I have personally been on cases where I have expressed my concern with documentation substantiating said concerns, and the court ruled otherwise, citing statutes preventing the judge from ordering what I was requesting (to suspend visits with bio parents, initiating overnight visits, or discussions of trial home visits, which is most likely the case with Maleah). Once certain steps have been taken in the child’s case, the children can be returned home on a THV. This allows CD to keep eyes on the family and also to pay for supports (therapies, classes, etc) while trying to ensure safety. When I was in case management, kids on trial home visits had to be seen once per week, in the home, by the case worker. Maybe this varies by state, but in my area this is still the requirement.

Maleah Davis' stepfather changed his story 'multiple times', police say | Daily Mail Online
Derion Vence, 26, walked into a Houston, Texas, hospital on Saturday night with his unharmed one-year-old son, claiming that they had spent the previous 24 hours being held captive by Hispanic men who took Maleah.

He had visible injuries and officers say 'something clearly happened to him' but details of his story about how Maleah was snatched did not make sense, according to the police department which was first on the scene.

'During our initial interview that he provided, his story changed several times, some of what he described didn't add up,' Doug Adolph, the spokesman for the Sugar Land Police Department, told DailyMail.com on Wednesday.

[...]

13264280-7007507-image-a-1_1557349194358.jpg
13264306-7007507-image-m-12_1557349389118.jpg
13265270-7007507-image-a-61_1557350047423.jpg
13116194-7002123-Maleah_Davis-a-30_1557252329143.jpg

I wonder if the off duty officer was plain clothed? Wonder if he knew he was sharing what would become an official story with this officer? Weird that an officer noticed the wounds? Anyone know if standard at this hospital for officer to be at Er entrance? If so, why was he off duty?

No. She was in the care of DV (mothers boyfriend/partner) when child was allegedly abducted.

MD was previously under care of family (Aug 2018 - Feb 2019) when court returned children to mother.

As there was no proof MD head injury caused by abuse, there were no criminal charges ever filed against parent(s) -- only removal of children and return under monitored conditions.

Hearing previously set for May 22, 2019 to determine if monitored custody should continue or not.

But if a family member tried to intervene and stop Maleah from returning home, I'm sure there was other stuff going on under their roof. MOO

Maybe DV did self inflict his head wound, after going too far, he hastily attempted to put together a story. A story that seasoned LE not see thru. He failed.

Its possible.

I thought of another possibility which I hope is not going to turn out correct unless MD or her remains are found.

It has occurred before that a small child is sold in exchange for drugs.

Its possible the alleged "kidnappers" were not kidnappers at all, they were suppliers who took little M and the vehicle in exchange for a fix and the POI passed out for a few hours, then concocted a crock'n bull story for LE.

So yes, it might be that the POI's injury is self-inflicted, as in hitting his forehead against a wall.

I haven't read any reports of LE or the hospital the POI went to doing any drug testing??? Anyone know?

moo

Paramour is a child welfare term... we use it in court reports, documentation, notes, meetings, etc. Judges and attorneys, juvenile officers and case workers, service workers and therapists; everyone who is working in conjunction with Children’s Division & the juvenile courts, we are all conditioned to use this phrase. My assessment is that this info was taken verbatim from a court report, written by the children’s case worker. I have personally been on cases where I have expressed my concern with documentation substantiating said concerns, and the court ruled otherwise, citing statutes preventing the judge from ordering what I was requesting (to suspend visits with bio parents, initiating overnight visits, or discussions of trial home visits, which is most likely the case with Maleah). Once certain steps have been taken in the child’s case, the children can be returned home on a THV. This allows CD to keep eyes on the family and also to pay for supports (therapies, classes, etc) while trying to ensure safety. When I was in case management, kids on trial home visits had to be seen once per week, in the home, by the case worker. Maybe this varies by state, but in my area this is still the requirement.
Well to tell you the truth I like it much more than baby daddy or baby momma. In the real world where children are respected and loved, Paramour sounds much better. IMO

I have seen this happen on the guardianship/conservatorship side many times too. It's unfortunate when the judge's hands are tied via statute.

I believe that came from the court docs released. However those docs aren't given context. I'm willing to bet the docs that claimed abuse/neglect were the initial ones to get the order for the children to be removed. Then there was a complete investigation done and that's when the caseworker said lack of supervision, but nothing else.
I thought I read that CPS stated the children were removed because they suspected neglect and physical abuse. It was a link from yesterday or today, I think.
I don't recall them saying it was simply lack of supervision. Imo

Its possible.

I thought of another possibility which I hope is not going to turn out correct unless MD or her remains are found.

It has occurred before that a small child is sold in exchange for drugs.

Its possible the alleged "kidnappers" were not kidnappers at all, they were suppliers who took little M and the vehicle in exchange for a fix and the POI passed out for a few hours, then concocted a crock'n bull story for LE.

So yes, it might be that the POI's injury is self-inflicted, as in hitting his forehead against a wall.

I haven't read any reports of LE or the hospital the POI went to doing any drug testing??? Anyone know?

moo
Oh my. Never thought of this. Very possible IMO.

I wonder if the off duty officer was plain clothed? Wonder if he knew he was sharing what would become an official story with this officer? Weird that an officer noticed the wounds? Anyone know if standard at this hospital for officer to be at Er entrance? If so, why was he off duty?

There’s always LE at my local hospitals. They come & go, following accident victims, child abuse cases, etc. there’s always a cruiser in the parking lot, also.

I thought I read that CPS stated the children were removed because they suspected neglect and physical abuse. It was a link from yesterday or today, I think.
I don't recall them saying it was simply lack of supervision. Imo
The lack of supervision came from the most recent article with details. PomMommy posted it I believe.

ETA: Why did missing 4-year-old Maleah Davis need brain surgery?

"The caseworker with CPS eventually concluded there was “reason to believe” there was “neglectful supervision” on Bowens’ part, but nothing more. In the end, “the doctor could not confirm whether or not injuries were caused by abuse,” court records read."

Last edited:
I agree. I’m thinking found in water. Then he blames the “kidnappers”. MOO

Yea, but DNA will prove the Hispanic men to be a figment of his imagination.
IMO, speculating only, he raped the child, freaked out & murdered her, then inflicted his injury (or had someone strike him) & concocted his most bizarre recollection of events.
Bet he’s expecting a knock at the door any moment. He knows where he’s going.
Jmo

(Hospital officer was off duty per msm links)

Well to tell you the truth I like it much more than baby daddy or baby momma. In the real world where children are respected and loved, Paramour sounds much better. IMO
Paramour is just a term to describe a significant other (or a lover) who is not a spouse. It's just the term the court uses.
I don't think it has anything to do with a name for a child's mother or father. Imo

The lack of supervision came from the most recent article with details. PomMommy posted it I believe.

ETA: Why did missing 4-year-old Maleah Davis need brain surgery?

"The caseworker with CPS eventually concluded there was “reason to believe” there was “neglectful supervision” on Bowens’ part, but nothing more. In the end, “the doctor could not confirm whether or not injuries were caused by abuse,” court records read."
Thanks! I guess CPS changed their minds. Maybe the other statement they released was outdated or not accurate.

But the mom believes DV, correct? Why?

Brittany Bowens, Maleah’s mother, told HLN’s Nick Valencia that Vence is staying with his brother. Bowens told the reporter, “His story doesn’t make sense, it doesn’t. But in my gut, I believe him. … His story, it don’t sound right…Honestly, I haven’t really talked to him much because I’ve been focused on finding Maleah. I called his family…and he’s devastated. … I’m getting to a place where it’s getting hard for me to cry and I feel guilty about that. It’s getting to a place where I’m starting to feel numb.”

She believes him because emotionally she needs to. Her whole world is falling apart. Admitting that he's lying and has done something horrible would probably be her final breaking point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cowboy89