Found Deceased TX - Matthew Meinert, 38, Denton County, 6 March 2017

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Been fishing that creek three times in the last month or so in a nearly identical boat. You'd have to hit the sandbar at nearly full throttle to get that far ashore. Just beaching a few feet takes quite a push. What amazes me is the little boy in those woods overnight. They're full of hogs, coyote, bobcats, etc. Cell phone left in the boat can't be used for tracking.

The tree looks mighty handy for mounting a winch to pull the boat onshore.

I would never of let him take my baby out on a boat by hisself...

It's as simple as that...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Despite the efforts of the 30 people searching Wednesday, including Matthew's own brother, there was still no sign of him by late afternoon. WFAA was told Meinert's wife was also trying to help in the search Wednesday. Flower Mound Emergency Manager Brandon Barth says they now consider this a recovery mission.

"Really we have no reason to believe at this point the gentleman is not anywhere but in the creek," Barth says, adding that they're hoping to bring closure to the family.

http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/family-drones-aid-in-search-for-missing-roanoke-father/420901269

I have a lot of experience with flat bottom boats such as that one, although I've never run one aground at full speed so I am very much speculating. In any case, from the picture itself it's unclear whether it ran ashore or was dragged, but I am confident that it is obvious to anyone on the ground there. But from the picture I can see factors that could support either scenario.

Ran aground:
-There may in fact be marks from the motor that are not visible in the picture. That sand looks pretty hard-packed.
-The motor more than likely WOULD end up in a position similar to that if the boat ran aground. They are not necessarily locked into the "down" position, a lot of the time you can just lift the motor to where it locks in the "up" position.
-BIG problem a.) that motor would most likely still be running and cause a huge racket for quite a while, unless it had an automatic shutoff (which would be most likely worn by Matthew and engaged were he to fall out of the boat--also in my experience these are rarely used)
-BIG problem b.) if that boat ran aground at a high speed with Oliver in it, there is a high likelihood he would be thrown out the front of the boat and, at minimum, seriously injured.

Pulled ashore:
-The problem with pulling the boat ashore to that place is, those boats are super heavy and in general it's pointless to do so. A large, seemingly healthy adult man such as Matthew probably COULD do it, but why? If you're making a brief stop on shore, you pull the boat just enough out of the water (~90% of the way or so) so it's stable. Makes your life way easier.
-Also the motor appears to be kind of half-up half-down, which, if you were pulling the boat ashore under normal circumstances, you definitely wouldn't drag the motor bc a.) potential damage and b.) increased drag to an already difficult task.
-The only reason I can see that you WOULD do that is to avoid leaving footprints--drag the boat from the front, pull the boat over the prints, get up on the roots by that tree where it doesn't appear to be sandy anymore, and make your way out of there.

Without better visuals/more info in general, I would lean slightly toward the boat being pulled ashore, but I'm not feeling strongly about it either way.

Any way you slice it, this is incredibly strange.

Dub, thanks for sharing your thoughts here. To a non-boater, you made a lot sense out of something unfamiliar.

I really don't understand this story. Does everyone really think somehow he drowned, and somehow this boat somehow crashed itself way uphill on land, and the boy somehow got up out of the boat without leaving any footprints? Baffling.

I really don't understand this story. Does everyone really think somehow he drowned, and somehow this boat somehow crashed itself way uphill on land, and the boy somehow got up out of the boat without leaving any footprints? Baffling.

Not necessarily that scenario but I'm sensing they're suspecting a medical emergency is why he is missing or worse and the boy is okay because he's a tough kiddo and very lucky.

i know!
i've been feeling bad about not buying the whole story because 90% of FB is praying he shows up safe as if nothing is suspicious at all. really? this just doesn't make sense to me.
i may be wrong but my money is on planned disappearance.

Been fishing that creek three times in the last month or so in a nearly identical boat. You'd have to hit the sandbar at nearly full throttle to get that far ashore. Just beaching a few feet takes quite a push. What amazes me is the little boy in those woods overnight. They're full of hogs, coyote, bobcats, etc. Cell phone left in the boat can't be used for tracking.

Welcome justsayin' :)

:welcome5:

This gives a bit of a timeline.

Police said Meinert launched a fishing boat from a ramp in Trophy Club about 5 p.m. Monday. About an hour later, his boat was found beached in an “unusual location” on the shore of Denton Creek, just west of U.S. 377, said Sgt. Tracey Shields, Trophy Club police spokesman.

Sunset on Monday March 6 was 6:30:32

Like most of you, I find this a peculiar situation. I suppose an hour (5 pm - 6 pm, prior to sunset) is plenty long for a 2 year old to go "fishing".

Was there fishing equipment in the boat or were they just taking a ride in the boat? Was the mother notified after the boat was found? I wouldn't think she had reason to be alarmed within an hour's time. Did any other boaters see MM and OM prior to finding the stranded vessel?

ETA- As expressed earlier, I really hope MM is recovered, as tragic as it would be as a young father & husband, rather than a suspicious disappearance. Cannot wrap my mind around intentionally leaving a toddler by himself over night by a large body of water. This one is really pulling my heart strings.

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/news/state/texas/article137137343.html#storylink=cpy

http://sunrise-sunset.org/us/trophy-club-tx

http://bit.ly/2nifdMT

Respectfully snipped:
The Title says end but the article begins with:
The search for a missing fisherman near Denton Creek has been scaled back.

Searchers have given up hope of finding Meinert alive. They have wrapped up the ground and air search and will just focus on looking for a body in the water.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I have a lot of experience with flat bottom boats such as that one, although I've never run one aground at full speed so I am very much speculating. In any case, from the picture itself it's unclear whether it ran ashore or was dragged, but I am confident that it is obvious to anyone on the ground there. But from the picture I can see factors that could support either scenario.

Ran aground:
-There may in fact be marks from the motor that are not visible in the picture. That sand looks pretty hard-packed.
-The motor more than likely WOULD end up in a position similar to that if the boat ran aground. They are not necessarily locked into the "down" position, a lot of the time you can just lift the motor to where it locks in the "up" position.
-BIG problem a.) that motor would most likely still be running and cause a huge racket for quite a while, unless it had an automatic shutoff (which would be most likely worn by Matthew and engaged were he to fall out of the boat--also in my experience these are rarely used)
-BIG problem b.) if that boat ran aground at a high speed with Oliver in it, there is a high likelihood he would be thrown out the front of the boat and, at minimum, seriously injured.

Pulled ashore:
-The problem with pulling the boat ashore to that place is, those boats are super heavy and in general it's pointless to do so. A large, seemingly healthy adult man such as Matthew probably COULD do it, but why? If you're making a brief stop on shore, you pull the boat just enough out of the water (~90% of the way or so) so it's stable. Makes your life way easier.
-Also the motor appears to be kind of half-up half-down, which, if you were pulling the boat ashore under normal circumstances, you definitely wouldn't drag the motor bc a.) potential damage and b.) increased drag to an already difficult task.
-The only reason I can see that you WOULD do that is to avoid leaving footprints--drag the boat from the front, pull the boat over the prints, get up on the roots by that tree where it doesn't appear to be sandy anymore, and make your way out of there.

Without better visuals/more info in general, I would lean slightly toward the boat being pulled ashore, but I'm not feeling strongly about it either way.

Any way you slice it, this is incredibly strange.

We live on the lake and our boys have grown up on the lake. I agree with the information listed above. I'm not sure what to think of how the boat was position. If it ran aground, I would think it might be at a little different angle. But then I also agree if you are just stopping to get out and walk the beach area, you do NOT drag your boat up all the way like that. And in order to do so with the engine dragging the ground, I'm not sure one person could manage that! And to possibly cause damage to the engine....I wouldn't risk it.

I don't find anything strange at all with this dad taking his boy out fishing, alone. If you live by a lake and do a lot of outdoor fishing/hunting, it's not uncommon at all for a dad and child to go out alone. I DO find it weird the boy had no lifejacket. We always wear ours and IMO, a 2-year old could not get his off by himself. So if the dad DID have a medical emergency and went into the water, why was the child not wearing his lifejacket still?

My other thought was if the child was potty training and had to go #2, the dad could have stopped on the shore to take him up to potty in the woods. That would require taking the lifejacket off so he could potty. Something at that point would have had to happen but what??!! UGH.

So sad. I'm so glad the child was found! To be near water and in the woods with wildlife, I'm so glad he was safe.

Has it been mentioned about whose shoes are in the boat?

Ya know, I just assumed it was Matthew's shoes since fishing gear and the cell phone were found in the boat, along with shoes,

but when I read this, it made me pause… do the shoes belong to the little boy?

"The toddler,(name snipped out by me) was discovered Tuesday, barefoot," … (snipped by me…)

(Snipped By Me)… "
he had thorns in his feet when authorities found him."

http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/family-drones-aid-in-search-for-missing-roanoke-father/420901269

"Between 5 p.m. and 6 p.m. Monday, boaters found Meinert's flat-bottom aluminum fishing boat abandoned and beached up the creek from the boat launch. It was empty except for fishing gear, shoes and a cellphone."

http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/search-continues-for-missing-boaters-in-denton-creek/420356163

If those are the little boys shoes, I wonder why they are in the boat?

If they aren't the little boys shoes, where are his shoes?

Did he have a second pair?

Are they Matthew's shoes??

IMOO.

Starting Thursday, the land and air crews will be available if needed but not actively searching.

“We’ve looked at every stick and every rock. We tried everything we could to no avail,” a game warden said.

The search is in full recovery mode. Game wardens will be out in rotating teams of two searching the water and banks three to four times a day.

http://www.star-telegram.com/news/state/texas/article137385528.html

It just seems like if the boat was going fast enough to make it that far on to land the boy surely wound have been thrown from the boat. It would have had to hit all the land that is partially submerged. I know my 2 yr old bounces around in our boat if we are going fast or over any wake. It seems highly unlikely that they would be going fast because of the safety of the child but then again he wasnt wearing a life vest either.... i just can't imagine feeling comfortable being alone on a small boat with a 2 yr old so that fact alone makes everything else seem unusual and suspicious. Also super weird that all this went down in less than an hour? Does anyone see anyway for the child to get past that spot? From the images its several feet of a ledge with all that brush. I don't think i could climb up over that. I don't see any way a 2 yr old could. And if so in that amount if time he couldn't have gotten far. Seems like an hr after they launched, and all that occurred the boater that found them would have been calling out to see if someone was around and the boy would have still been close by and crying. Police need to check for life insurance policies

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Neejo
Back