Found Deceased TX - Michael Swearingin, 32, & Jenna Scott, 28, Temple, Bell County, 4 Jan 2019

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
From the article:

“Michael White confirmed he will represent Marks and, if the Bell County District Attorney’s Office elects to seek the death penalty if Marks is convicted, White is already qualified to be second chair.”

What does second chair mean?
It means there’s going to be more than one lawyer defending Cedric Marks and that the second chair is basically the back up lawyer.

I’m curious as to the reason why you have to have a second lawyer though. It would seem that Michael White is a competent defense attorney. What disqualifies him from taking the lead on a death penalty case?

Whatever, it means that the good people of Texas are on the hook for two attorneys for this low-life career criminal. MOO

I’m curious as to the reason why you have to have a second lawyer though. It would seem that Michael White is a competent defense attorney. What disqualifies him from taking the lead on a death penalty case?

Whatever, it means that the good people of Texas are on the hook for two attorneys for this low-life career criminal. MOO

if they are trying him for DP then they need to cover all bases so he does not get off on mistrial or technicality. it is standard to have two DP qualified attorneys if you are facing DP.

My apologies in advance if this is redundant:

According to the “Approval List” found on the Third Administrative Judicial Region’s website, currently, there are 14 attorneys who are qualified to serve as lead counsel in death penalty cases in “3rd JAR,” which covers 26 counties.

Marks’ current defense lawyer, Michael White, is listed as one of the attorneys who “are qualified and have applied to the third region local selection committee to sit as assistant counsel in capital cases” (BBM)
http://www.txcourts.gov/media/936994/2018-capital-case-list.pdf

TJB | AJR | 3rd AJR

The information is from 2018, the most recent available.

So my guess is if DA Garza decides to pursue the death penalty in the case, Mr. White would likely stay on as second chair, but lead trial counsel would be appointed from the list of the 14 attorneys who are qualified to serve as such.

I read in one of the many online news sites about CM, he was transported via transport van because he was afraid to fly and that's why it took so long to get him moved from MI back to TX?? I think it sound incredibly fishy. This guy got away with wayyyyy too much. Will they now not send him to trial because he is afraid the jury will find him guilty? Will they not convict him because he is afraid of the death penalty? This is just insanity.

Still no word on how he escaped that van while being shackled. It makes no sense. I think it was an "inside" job: either an MMA fan was one of the so-called "guards", or he convinced the "guard" he was innocent and the guard unlocked him ... or ... or ...

:eek:

How did this man charm 2 women to help him cover up a double murder? His girlfriend drove the car to Austin and his wife let him (and his girlfriend?) hide out in her house. Have I got that right? He must really look different when he is smooth talking ladies to get what he wants. Or did they help him because they were afraid of him?

KCENTV posted the report from the court investigator in the April Pease custody case and stated the women with CM looked to him before answering questions by that investigator and CM was directing them when to speak.
I am curious though ... Maya Maxwell stated she was in the house "when they [Scott & Swearingen] were brought in". Did they arrive at the house on their own volition or were they "brought in" and by whom? How? Were they kidnapped? Also, how were their bodies moved from the house? Did CM carry them himself or did MM help him carry them? Swearingen was not a small man. Is it crazy that I am thinking someone else might have been involved? Helping CM--aside from MM, I mean? Doesn't it seem odd? MM looks like a teeny tiny person. Looks like CM picks all these very small, very waif-looking women who wouldn't be able to fight back.

Good morning all. My name is Deb and Jenna Scott was my niece. (Jenna’s mom is my baby sister.) On behalf of the family, I’d like to offer our thanks for your support and prayers during this nightmare. We continue to covet your prayers. This is incredibly hard. We also ask that you pray for Michael’s family and friends. I never met personally him, but by all accounts, he was a stand-up guy, one of the good ones. He and Jenna had been friends for years. He was like a son to my sister and brother-in-law.

There is no doubt in my mind that CM masterminded and carried out these murders. When we first heard that Jenna and Michael were missing, we knew CM was involved. The level of fear he inflicted on the Scott family during the past 6 months was unfathomable. The “system” offered no protection for Jenna and, in part, turned its back on her. To say we are angry about that would be an understatement.

It is imperative that CM never be allowed to be free again. He’s very smart, very methodical, and very evil. If he gets away with this, I am convinced it will embolden him on an entirely new level and he will murder again.

Praying for all of your family, friends, and anyone who came in contact with this monster. This is so incredibly sad and I can't imagine what the families are all going through. The system has failed HORRIBLY across the board for many, many, many years and on so many levels. May CM rot in jail for the rest of his life in solitary confinement. The judge who refused the restraining order needs to removed from the bench, from practicing law period.

ETA: “Marks admitted in testimony that he did choke her from behind, but claimed he did that in self-defense from an attack she reportedly made on him.”

Why would anybody believe that!?[/QUOTE]

I don't understand HOW anybody would believe that! It is mind boggling that the judge thought it was credible. This whole thing and everything he has done ... for YEARS ... and no one put two and two together ... he preyed on the weak, on woman struggling one way or the other ... seems they all had some kind of major issue or issues and he focused on that--they made easy targets for him.

I read in one of the many online news sites about CM, he was transported via transport van because he was afraid to fly and that's why it took so long to get him moved from MI back to TX?? I think it sound incredibly fishy. This guy got away with wayyyyy too much. Will they now not send him to trial because he is afraid the jury will find him guilty? Will they not convict him because he is afraid of the death penalty? This is just insanity.

Still no word on how he escaped that van while being shackled. It makes no sense. I think it was an "inside" job: either an MMA fan was one of the so-called "guards", or he convinced the "guard" he was innocent and the guard unlocked him ... or ... or ...
It is my understanding that he refused a TB test, so they couldn’t put him on a plane because of that. I definitely think he planned to escape from the transport van and that is why he refused the test.

KCENTV posted the report from the court investigator in the April Pease custody case and stated the women with CM looked to him before answering questions by that investigator and CM was directing them when to speak.
I am curious though ... Maya Maxwell stated she was in the house "when they [Scott & Swearingen] were brought in". Did they arrive at the house on their own volition or were they "brought in" and by whom? How? Were they kidnapped? Also, how were their bodies moved from the house? Did CM carry them himself or did MM help him carry them? Swearingen was not a small man. Is it crazy that I am thinking someone else might have been involved? Helping CM--aside from MM, I mean? Doesn't it seem odd? MM looks like a teeny tiny person. Looks like CM picks all these very small, very waif-looking women who wouldn't be able to fight back.
Maya Maxwell is 5 months pregnant so she wasn’t doing much as far as lifting goes. It is my understanding that he kidnapped them from Michael’s house in temple and brought them to Killeen. I am not sure exactly how, if he knocked them out or forced them, neither one of those would surprise me anymore. But I am 100% positive that neither of them went willingly with him.

ETA: “Marks admitted in testimony that he did choke her from behind, but claimed he did that in self-defense from an attack she reportedly made on him.”

Why would anybody believe that!?

I don't understand HOW anybody would believe that! It is mind boggling that the judge thought it was credible. This whole thing and everything he has done ... for YEARS ... and no one put two and two together ... he preyed on the weak, on woman struggling one way or the other ... seems they all had some kind of major issue or issues and he focused on that--they made easy targets for him.[/QUOTE]
I don’t believe judge LePak thought it was credible. He is a very impatient person and was extremely annoyed thst cedric Marks represented himself at trial and went on for over 4 hours, with his children on the stand, as his witnesses to his credibility. Michael was supposed to be called as a character witness for Jenna and he wasn’t even able to because Cedric Marks went on for over 4 hours. After 4 hours, judge LePak said they were done and refused to listen to Jenna’s attorney because he just wanted to be done for the day. This is just another example of how Cedric Marks managed to get away with something else.

I am beyond sorry for your family and Michael’s family’s losses. Reading this again, it truly shocks me anyone would deny her request. You can feel her fear in the statement. :(

I also noticed, and I’m not sure if I had seen it before, that she mentions CM had/has a gang of fighters willing to do his bidding. I do hope LE has thoroughly looked into this group and your families are under protection. If things don’t go his way for the first time, I’d hate for him to use them to try to get witnesses to retract statements. MOO

I am thinking he had more help than just Maya Maxwell as a witness to the murders and where the bodies were buried. Someone must've helped him move the bodies/bury the bodies in order for them to get back up to MI so quickly ... ? Who drove MM back from Austin after she deposited MS's car how did she leave Austin? That takes time. Then to drive up to OK, bury the bodies (even though it was a shallow grave), it still takes time ... then head back to MI? The whole time-line ... I am thinking other people must've helped in some way? If you pull up Mapquest, type in Killeen, Texas to Clearwater, OK, to Muskegon County, MI, that is a 19 hr & 22 minute drive straight shot. If you leave out Killeen and just start from Austin, that is a 19 hour, 55 minute drive. That's without stopping to move two bodies, dig two shallow graves. I'm willing to bet there was one or more people involved in helping CM and MM ... I could be wrong. Guess we will have to play the wait and see. I am thinking MM will start singing more names and details.

I don't understand HOW anybody would believe that! It is mind boggling that the judge thought it was credible. This whole thing and everything he has done ... for YEARS ... and no one put two and two together ... he preyed on the weak, on woman struggling one way or the other ... seems they all had some kind of major issue or issues and he focused on that--they made easy targets for him.
I don’t believe judge LePak thought it was credible. He is a very impatient person and was extremely annoyed thst cedric Marks represented himself at trial and went on for over 4 hours, with his children on the stand, as his witnesses to his credibility. Michael was supposed to be called as a character witness for Jenna and he wasn’t even able to because Cedric Marks went on for over 4 hours. After 4 hours, judge LePak said they were done and refused to listen to Jenna’s attorney because he just wanted to be done for the day. This is just another example of how Cedric Marks managed to get away with something else.[/QUOTE]

Indeed. Judge Lepak allowed him to go on and on. Who had control of the court room? CM did, apparently, not Judge LePak. He still listened to CM and refused to grant the protective order for JS. If he didn't think CM was credible then he should have granted that order. He didn't. That tells me he believed CM. He said it himself that he didn't feel comfortable granting that protective order, correct?

Maya Maxwell is 5 months pregnant so she wasn’t doing much as far as lifting goes. It is my understanding that he kidnapped them from Michael’s house in temple and brought them to Killeen. I am not sure exactly how, if he knocked them out or forced them, neither one of those would surprise me anymore. But I am 100% positive that neither of them went willingly with him.

Oh for crying out loud! Pregnant???? I wasn't aware of that! CM's I assume? :rolleyes: So, yes, as you say, of course they wouldn't go willingly. Ok, so if she can't lift, or wouldn't lift because of pregnancy ... CM kidnapped Jenna & Michael--that I believe is what happened. HOW? He must've had someone with him. I understand him being a martial artist and could knock out two people ... to get them both in a vehicle and then transport them to Killeen, get them both out of the vehicle ... We shall see, how this plays out ...

The day after Scott and Swearingin disappeared Swearingin's car was found in Austin, according to Temple police.

Swearingin's mother, Debbie Harrison, said she believes the two were abducted in Temple from Swearingin's house, because his alarm system was going off and some security footage was missing.
[...]
Maxwell's arrest affidavit said she gave a voluntary interview where she admitted being involved in moving Swearingin's car to Austin. She agreed to be extradited to Bell County in a court hearing in Michigan on Jan. 16.

The case crossed state lines again when the bodies of Scott and Swearingin were found Jan. 15 near Clearview, Oklahoma, a town of about 60 people, according to Temple police.

Breaking down the Jenna Scott and Michael Swearingin case: How Cedric Marks fits in

ETA: Abducted from MS home in Temple, taken to Killeen (about 28 miles) where they were murdered.
Maxwell admits moving MS vehicle to Austin. Why move the car to Austin? (about 67 miles from Killeen) Seems a lot of effort just to hide vehicle from LE.

data=RIdwqsyGmaXJcL-Ummu5hO1BPqQpvC6-Ve3QwcN3Z_TAB1--F0cxqZFfhj51DjoPDOUaMYfoMytl6nUbFeinjdjhA7Y2TUAMPYm6VfndosqfDGxafCDWEOlATGbuoquxWnK4YxS92a5_HyLe7Uzt6GLJPGVhBVhYJLk,0wxtHSFg-tPkIXgp91OZd5yVIopV0u_w43KN8NpiOb4W9wkBlxNTX9BOJXWmKfgaWGdiQO1fUiW0Rrklf1Kt5Tx_kOF8ZrAqZu1mGcpfNrrhe6ZrNkgaJwdHzEUEz5kaPTZ2r5xDnWiYkLiBBE-Q3OGrW1rbRUXqRJ3P9QCc34hrZTOvJuRxWsGiu5ujHPPIQMavq0l7I0hqiq1UbY1xWfGskvbku6Y0qChcdyB0oX_AlnljDvjjujoK9D4O1mYbzrZqHVSsuqqGus-JXoitZ2arlP_IYAWMx0nrMH9MZ_FwUEEi6febr-HuJy0Byxy-rxfvRhAN7N0svwBc3izEFIuwaOg5zF2GEQ

Affidavit: Cedric Marks killed both Jenna Scott and Michael Swearingin in home in Killeen

Maxwell, who was extradited to Bell County from Michigan, admitted that she was present at the transport and the burial of their bodies. She told police that the murders happened on Jan. 3.

She said that both Scott and Swearingin were at a Killeen residence when they were murdered.

Marks entered the room where Swearingin was located, and when Marks left the room, Swearingin was dead. He then entered the room where Scott was located, and Maxwell could hear a struggle. Scott was also dead when he left the room.

ETA: Bodies moved from death scene Killeen, Tx to Clearview OK. (about 362 miles). CM has family connections in Clearview, OK. How did bodies get to OK burial site -- that's about 6 hour drive!

data=2ijkDp1Ln7Oq3vaUUmJ5WZg3BFnH_oL_gfltTskm8Y-SSCt6NsPugalCmBVFrPKldLsE2xWs9YuiEs7Mu1i6fMBw2V2ep6eSb4GmqhtNtBYXyNLoVEW5rrqJnYOk4FUxEFLu9nRIbP4sG2WnibJVZPw9OXT72ScsO_M,Z0_guFrfa7LsBfRwxfcHGqEEI_bKMTE-QK-M_zRc9PcCwnWELkLJMHGNvsEYTNZQEO2F9aT7UUoianuSmyjTWb1FmT9YaMu0Ou5ZRwQvh_VoZP6q1XWR-sX5AKNsGb9WCxQ--BebgfvbLw8qAnzdGNsDmmM92U7p-pqIiqUJVJJALZ-X05iPfVPRyrhl7sAnDkT9UQZUBnYNjfkGOZE-uKKIV-x40yEnTfwd1_dI3eWcpA-SUR5S_a3jnb7dLqLSDK-5S2LwvVcvyHQdBUpijGjMkb_E2XXB4V9UH5ixZGZYE1duf6PHQ9jQQ8ZozzkUWu8myu-sE7ykbzIPKiq3jZ26CBykB10Z3TTaRq7Q

ETA: Bodies moved from death scene Killeen, Tx to Clearview OK. (about 362 miles). CM has family connections in Clearview, OK. How did bodies get to OK burial site -- that's about 6 hour drive!

data=2ijkDp1Ln7Oq3vaUUmJ5WZg3BFnH_oL_gfltTskm8Y-SSCt6NsPugalCmBVFrPKldLsE2xWs9YuiEs7Mu1i6fMBw2V2ep6eSb4GmqhtNtBYXyNLoVEW5rrqJnYOk4FUxEFLu9nRIbP4sG2WnibJVZPw9OXT72ScsO_M,Z0_guFrfa7LsBfRwxfcHGqEEI_bKMTE-QK-M_zRc9PcCwnWELkLJMHGNvsEYTNZQEO2F9aT7UUoianuSmyjTWb1FmT9YaMu0Ou5ZRwQvh_VoZP6q1XWR-sX5AKNsGb9WCxQ--BebgfvbLw8qAnzdGNsDmmM92U7p-pqIiqUJVJJALZ-X05iPfVPRyrhl7sAnDkT9UQZUBnYNjfkGOZE-uKKIV-x40yEnTfwd1_dI3eWcpA-SUR5S_a3jnb7dLqLSDK-5S2LwvVcvyHQdBUpijGjMkb_E2XXB4V9UH5ixZGZYE1duf6PHQ9jQQ8ZozzkUWu8myu-sE7ykbzIPKiq3jZ26CBykB10Z3TTaRq7Q
[/QUOTE]

He's also got friends in OK? The cousin said she only saw him once a year. It didn't sound like they are close family. Has anyone read or heard of what the story is about his mother or sister? Anyone heard from any other family members aside from this cousin who is the town historian in Clearview?

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    42.3 KB · Views: 1
From the article:

“Michael White confirmed he will represent Marks and, if the Bell County District Attorney’s Office elects to seek the death penalty if Marks is convicted, White is already qualified to be second chair.”

What does second chair mean?
He won't be the lead attorney for CM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members