TX - Moriah Wilson, 25, Cyclist Fatally Shot Before Race, Austin, 2022 *arrest* #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
She’s done.

In addition to the “nightmare of circumstantial evidence” (too long to list) and “consciousness of guilt” (evading and escaping), they have concrete proof of her vehicle circling and arriving the scene of the crime, her phone being turned off during the crime, DNA at the scene of the crime, and proof of her vehicle leaving the scene of the crime. She is unaccounted for during this time I presume, while everyone else of any interest is accounted for.

So the only possible defense is that someone else (i.e. a stranger) drove her car, used her gun, transferred her DNA, and had sufficient motive to kill MW and/or frame KA. Since CS has been ruled out, that leaves only Kaitlin Armstrong.

This was not a crime of passion, was premeditated, and appears to be overkill.

She turned town a plea deal, has multiple felonies, and is an extreme escape risk.

This is an easy LWOP. If she were a man, it would probably be a death sentence.

Bye Kait! JMO
And the unsub that used her gun returned it to her home sometime after the crime, oiled the outside of it and put it back in the box. :rolleyes:

She’s done.

In addition to the “nightmare of circumstantial evidence” (too long to list) and “consciousness of guilt” (evading and escaping), they have concrete proof of her vehicle circling and arriving the scene of the crime, her phone being turned off during the crime, DNA at the scene of the crime, and proof of her vehicle leaving the scene of the crime. She is unaccounted for during this time I presume, while everyone else of any interest is accounted for.

So the only possible defense is that someone else (i.e. a stranger) drove her car, used her gun, transferred her DNA, and had sufficient motive to kill MW and/or frame KA. Since CS has been ruled out, that leaves only Kaitlin Armstrong.

This was not a crime of passion, was premeditated, and appears to be overkill.

She turned town a plea deal, has multiple felonies, and is an extreme escape risk.

This is an easy LWOP. If she were a man, it would probably be a death sentence.

Bye Kait! JMO
I don't know if she will get LWOP. There was a case in Austin about 10 years ago where a woman had an ongoing beef with a neighbor. One day she went next door and shot him between the eyes. There were no witnesses, no DNA, no GPS or camera data. Only the gun plus people who knew of their dispute. She got 30 years. I don't see a lot of difference here. Maybe she and KA will be cell mates.

This is something I have wondered many times in the past and am now currently pondering given KA's attempt to flee- in this day and age, with all the data overload we have available tracking our movements, purchases, etc... how likely do yall think it is to be successful in trying to start a new life or get a new identity, either in the US or outside?
How would one even go about doing this without being caught?
Asking for a friend.... lol. But seriously, I think this is very relevant to true crime nowadays, especially when someone is missing and people attempt the "oh she wanted to start a new life" excuse.

ETA: I'm actually surprised she made it as long as she did. MOO

I don't know if she will get LWOP. There was a case in Austin about 10 years ago where a woman had an ongoing beef with a neighbor. One day she went next door and shot him between the eyes. There were no witnesses, no DNA, no GPS or camera data. Only the gun plus people who knew of their dispute. She got 30 years. I don't see a lot of difference here. Maybe she and KA will be cell mates.
I agree. More recently, Magan Fieramusca was charged with capital murder and kidnapping after she murdered her best friend (Heidi Broussard) and took her newborn baby in 2018. This year, she took a plea deal to reduce the death penalty charge to first degree murder and drop all other charges for a 55 year sentence. She's eligible for release after serving 25-28 years!

I don’t think she would get LWOP. If KA is found guilty of 1st degree felony murder she could be sentenced anywhere from 5 to 99 yrs or life. If it’s life, she’ll have to serve 40 years before she can be considered for parole.

However….”At the punishment stage of a trial, the defendant may raise the issue as to whether he caused the death under the immediate influence of sudden passion arising from an adequate cause. If the defendant proves the issue in the affirmative by a preponderance of the evidence, the offense is a felony of the second degree.” TPC 19.02(d) Sentence 2 to 20 yrs.

If she’s convicted, her attorneys might argue for second degree due “adequate cause” (see definition in section 19.02(a)(1)). If they already filed a petition for community supervision, I can envision the possibility of their arguing for second degree sentencing.

This is something I have wondered many times in the past and am now currently pondering given KA's attempt to flee- in this day and age, with all the data overload we have available tracking our movements, purchases, etc... how likely do yall think it is to be successful in trying to start a new life or get a new identity, either in the US or outside?
Asking for a friend.... lol. But seriously, I think this is very relevant to true crime nowadays, especially when someone is missing and people attempt the "oh she wanted to start a new life" excuse.

I had a teacher friend from Europe visit us one summer. While she was here, she decided to get a job to have a little extra spending money. Of course she wouldn't have been allowed to do that legally, but within a couple days she had fake social security number and started working. I was shocked. It seems if you can get over the hurdle of getting a new ID/SSN it wouldn't be that hard.

I had a teacher friend from Europe visit us one summer. While she was here, she decided to get a job to have a little extra spending money. Of course she wouldn't have been allowed to do that legally, but within a couple days she had fake social security number and started working. I was shocked. It seems if you can get over the hurdle of getting a new ID/SSN it wouldn't be that hard.
Yes, everything is for sale. I was shocked to learn the husband of an associate took over her cousin's credentials and lived/worked for 20+ years under his identity-- by agreement with the cousin!

Obviously, people can and do live in the U.S. without any documentation. However, I think if would have been very hard for Kaitlin to sustain a comfortable, middle class existence while remaining off the radar. Any hopes she had of pursuing a career in real estate and/or doing business deals would have been out the window. IMO, she'd be forced to basically work under-the-table jobs in out of the way locations and hope that no one would ever recognize her. She'd be infamous and would probably have to go into hiding every time 20/20 or Dateline re-ran her episodes.

It might be easier to go without documentation abroad somewhere. But in much of the world she'd stick out like a sore thumb. Hard to believe someone wouldn't eventually make the connection between this tall, American yoga aficionado and the notorious murder suspect who's on the run. Plus she'd have to forgo ever contacting her family and friends, so authorities couldn't trace her location.

Obviously, people can and do live in the U.S. without any documentation. However, I think if would have been very hard for Kaitlin to sustain a comfortable, middle class existence while remaining off the radar. Any hopes she had of pursuing a career in real estate and/or doing business deals would have been out the window. IMO, she'd be forced to basically work under-the-table jobs in out of the way locations and hope that no one would ever recognize her. She'd be infamous and would probably have to go into hiding every time 20/20 or Dateline re-ran her episodes.

It might be easier to go without documentation abroad somewhere. But in much of the world she'd stick out like a sore thumb. Hard to believe someone wouldn't eventually make the connection between this tall, American yoga aficionado and the notorious murder suspect who's on the run. Plus she'd have to forgo ever contacting her family and friends, so authorities couldn't trace her location.
Also…
Having gone out of the country last month, I was surprised how much facial recognition was going on (haven’t traveled in the last few years due to covid). I think it is becoming increasingly harder to hide under the radar.

There is only so much plastic surgery she could afford with under the table jobs.

I don’t think she would get LWOP. If KA is found guilty of 1st degree felony murder she could be sentenced anywhere from 5 to 99 yrs or life. If it’s life, she’ll have to serve 40 years before she can be considered for parole.

However….”At the punishment stage of a trial, the defendant may raise the issue as to whether he caused the death under the immediate influence of sudden passion arising from an adequate cause. If the defendant proves the issue in the affirmative by a preponderance of the evidence, the offense is a felony of the second degree.” TPC 19.02(d) Sentence 2 to 20 yrs.

If she’s convicted, her attorneys might argue for second degree due “adequate cause” (see definition in section 19.02(a)(1)). If they already filed a petition for community supervision, I can envision the possibility of their arguing for second degree sentencing.
Her attorneys might try to argue the "sudden passion from an adequate cause" angle if KA's convicted, but I think they'll be hard pressed to convince anyone that MW's behavior caused her own death. Because she didn't do anything that would provoke a normal human being into commiting murder.

From that link --

"Adequate cause" means cause that would commonly produce a degree of anger, rage, resentment, or terror in a person of ordinary temper, sufficient to render the mind incapable of cool reflection.

"Sudden passion" means passion directly caused by and arising out of provocation by the individual killed or another acting with the person killed which passion arises at the time of the offense and is not solely the result of former provocation.

Her attorneys might try to argue the "sudden passion from an adequate cause" angle if KA's convicted, but I think they'll be hard pressed to convince anyone that MW's behavior caused her own death. Because she didn't do anything that would provoke a normal human being into commiting murder.

From that link --

"Adequate cause" means cause that would commonly produce a degree of anger, rage, resentment, or terror in a person of ordinary temper, sufficient to render the mind incapable of cool reflection.

"Sudden passion" means passion directly caused by and arising out of provocation by the individual killed or another acting with the person killed which passion arises at the time of the offense and is not solely the result of former provocation.

I think the "or another acting with the person killed" would apply.

There is only so much plastic surgery she could afford with under the table jobs.
^^rsbm

I agree about changes with foreign travel after my last re-entry where the time from deplaning to Uber was even quicker than domestic travel after I only had to face a kiosk, collect my ready bag, and out the door -- all without any human contact,

And I don't know about anybody else but especially at KA's age, notwithstanding the theft of Botox service years earlier, I was taken back at KA's knowledge of cosmetic procedures! It seems to me that KA was obsessed about her looks and retaining a youthful appearance. What an unhappy existence by this one! JMO

Last edited:

I have wondered the same as well, having seen movies along the lines of someone starting over while fleeing a domestic violence situation and trying to start over on their own with a new identity. So while it seems like new ID could be purchased if you know where and how to obtain it, I think of the financial aspect. I *guess* one could get hired in a menial labor type of position or a lower paying job in a very small town without needing references ("I just moved here, have never waitressed before, but I'm a quick learner!"), but it seems like someone who might be used to a nice lifestyle because they were working professionally could never have that same type of job status again because you'd need to provide references of past employment/experience/education.

She may have done better cutting her hair super short and wearing glasses to really change up/ block her face!

Last edited:

In which scenario would she be sentenced 5 years? What would have to happen for her to only serve 5 years?

In which scenario would she be sentenced 5 years? What would have to happen for her to only serve 5 years?
Five years would not apply to this case, and is simply the sentencing range cited for "felony murder."

Felony murder is defined as the legal rule that expands the definition of murder. It applies when someone commits a certain kind of felony and someone else dies in the course of it. It doesn't matter whether the death was intentional or accidental—the defendant is liable for it. The rule is usually limited to felonies that are inherently or foreseeably dangerous to human life, such as arson, rape, robbery, and burglary.

In other words, it's conceivable where an accidental death could result in a 5 year sentence. Again, not applicable here. MOO

KA was offered and turned down a plea deal shortly before her last escape attempt a few weeks ago.

The plea deal the Austin-based District Attorney Jose Garza offered Armstrong could have shaved years off a potential life sentence if she is convicted at trial, a legal source told DailyMail.com.

'She could have been released from prison in her 50s or 60s ... a heck of a lot sooner than if she's convicted by a jury and gets life in prison.

'Against the advice of her attorney, she rejected the plea deal. She is insisting on trying that case, but for her to again flee ... it's just insane,' said the source, who spoke on condition of anonymity due to a gag order in the case.

I doubt a plea of sudden passion will be successful, given that there is considerable evidence that she stalked Mo and had made threats to kill her months before she actually did (allegedly...eyeroll).

Also, Austin is probably the most liberal area of Texas, so I am not sure that a conviction for felony murder is even a given, though I certainly feel that it should be. JMO

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member