TX - Moriah Wilson, 25, Cyclist Fatally Shot Before Race, Austin, 2022 *arrest* #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is something I have wondered many times in the past and am now currently pondering given KA's attempt to flee- in this day and age, with all the data overload we have available tracking our movements, purchases, etc... how likely do yall think it is to be successful in trying to start a new life or get a new identity, either in the US or outside?
How would one even go about doing this without being caught?
Asking for a friend.... lol. But seriously, I think this is very relevant to true crime nowadays, especially when someone is missing and people attempt the "oh she wanted to start a new life" excuse.

ETA: I'm actually surprised she made it as long as she did. MOO

Depends on the country. Possible, but...she is taking herself, her own personality with her abroad, doesn't leave it at Newark International airport...

Her attorneys might try to argue the "sudden passion from an adequate cause" angle if KA's convicted, but I think they'll be hard pressed to convince anyone that MW's behavior caused her own death. Because she didn't do anything that would provoke a normal human being into commiting murder.

From that link --

"Adequate cause" means cause that would commonly produce a degree of anger, rage, resentment, or terror in a person of ordinary temper, sufficient to render the mind incapable of cool reflection.

"Sudden passion" means passion directly caused by and arising out of provocation by the individual killed or another acting with the person killed which passion arises at the time of the offense and is not solely the result of former provocation.
Agree. Doesn't apply in this case. Moo

KA was offered and turned down a plea deal shortly before her last escape attempt a few weeks ago.

The plea deal the Austin-based District Attorney Jose Garza offered Armstrong could have shaved years off a potential life sentence if she is convicted at trial, a legal source told DailyMail.com.

'She could have been released from prison in her 50s or 60s ... a heck of a lot sooner than if she's convicted by a jury and gets life in prison.

'Against the advice of her attorney, she rejected the plea deal. She is insisting on trying that case, but for her to again flee ... it's just insane,' said the source, who spoke on condition of anonymity due to a gag order in the case.

I doubt a plea of sudden passion will be successful, given that there is considerable evidence that she stalked Mo and had made threats to kill her months before she actually did (allegedly...eyeroll).

Also, Austin is probably the most liberal area of Texas, so I am not sure that a conviction for felony murder is even a given, though I certainly feel that it should be. JMO

Reading this -- I'm beginning to get a Betty Broderick vibe from KA. This trial is just as much about punishing CS, and wanting him to lose what CS was most passionate about. In truth, KA's already had some appeal as a martyr -- scorned by the player boyfriend.

Five years would not apply to this case, and is simply the sentencing range cited for "felony murder."

Felony murder is defined as the legal rule that expands the definition of murder. It applies when someone commits a certain kind of felony and someone else dies in the course of it. It doesn't matter whether the death was intentional or accidental—the defendant is liable for it. The rule is usually limited to felonies that are inherently or foreseeably dangerous to human life, such as arson, rape, robbery, and burglary.

In other words, it's conceivable where an accidental death could result in a 5 year sentence. Again, not applicable here. MOO

Thanks for filling me in. When I saw 5 years I was thinking how could that possibly happen in this case.

Her attorneys might try to argue the "sudden passion from an adequate cause" angle if KA's convicted, but I think they'll be hard pressed to convince anyone that MW's behavior caused her own death. Because she didn't do anything that would provoke a normal human being into commiting murder.

From that link --

"Adequate cause" means cause that would commonly produce a degree of anger, rage, resentment, or terror in a person of ordinary temper, sufficient to render the mind incapable of cool reflection.

"Sudden passion" means passion directly caused by and arising out of provocation by the individual killed or another acting with the person killed which passion arises at the time of the offense and is not solely the result of former provocation.
Girls that were going after my love interests in the past were pretty nasty to me. There were probably some words exchanged before the trigger was pulled.

This is something I have wondered many times in the past and am now currently pondering given KA's attempt to flee- in this day and age, with all the data overload we have available tracking our movements, purchases, etc... how likely do yall think it is to be successful in trying to start a new life or get a new identity, either in the US or outside?
How would one even go about doing this without being caught?
Asking for a friend.... lol. But seriously, I think this is very relevant to true crime nowadays, especially when someone is missing and people attempt the "oh she wanted to start a new life" excuse.

ETA: I'm actually surprised she made it as long as she did. MOO
It’s actually impressive to me how successful CR authorities were in finding KA using basic gum shoe skills, no electronic technology needed. Yogaheads are a dime a dozen down there, probably half have dyed hair and plastic surgery, because of the demographic they come from. Americans everywhere.

Obviously, people can and do live in the U.S. without any documentation. However, I think if would have been very hard for Kaitlin to sustain a comfortable, middle class existence while remaining off the radar. Any hopes she had of pursuing a career in real estate and/or doing business deals would have been out the window. IMO, she'd be forced to basically work under-the-table jobs in out of the way locations and hope that no one would ever recognize her. She'd be infamous and would probably have to go into hiding every time 20/20 or Dateline re-ran her episodes.

It might be easier to go without documentation abroad somewhere. But in much of the world she'd stick out like a sore thumb. Hard to believe someone wouldn't eventually make the connection between this tall, American yoga aficionado and the notorious murder suspect who's on the run. Plus she'd have to forgo ever contacting her family and friends, so authorities couldn't trace her location.
I had wondered whether that’s why she had seemed to be somewhat dating someone already—not to throw my gender under the bus, she’s obviously more than capable of taking care of herself, but life is just easier partnered and having an in to the local community helps financially, feel safer, etc.(Kind of what she did with CS to some level)

OTOH though, that’s where she screwed up. It didn’t take too long to know she was in CR since she used her sister’s passport. (A real fugitive on the run would have already had a new identity prepared, KA!) From following that lead, she was the new American girl in her area and I’m sure many locals thought of her when asked questions, especially because her arrival was still fresh. While there are lots of tourists, far fewer are there to become semi permanent. It was interesting to hear that the agent already almost didn’t recognize her.
Had she left the country under a new identity and appearance it may have taken years to determination her destination, at which point she could have been already assimilated and harder to find locally.
A country without an extradition treaty would have obv been smarter, but perhaps implies that it’d be less hospitable for her as a single, petite western woman.

I had wondered whether that’s why she had seemed to be somewhat dating someone already—not to throw my gender under the bus, she’s obviously more than capable of taking care of herself, but life is just easier partnered and having an in to the local community helps financially, feel safer, etc.(Kind of what she did with CS to some level)

OTOH though, that’s where she screwed up. It didn’t take too long to know she was in CR since she used her sister’s passport. (A real fugitive on the run would have already had a new identity prepared, KA!) From following that lead, she was the new American girl in her area and I’m sure many locals thought of her when asked questions, especially because her arrival was still fresh. While there are lots of tourists, far fewer are there to become semi permanent. It was interesting to hear that the agent already almost didn’t recognize her.
Had she left the country under a new identity and appearance it may have taken years to determination her destination, at which point she could have been already assimilated and harder to find locally.
A country without an extradition treaty would have obv been smarter, but perhaps implies that it’d be less hospitable for her as a single, petite western woman.
IMO, here is where KA really screwed up: she shoulda picked Nicaragua.

Nicaragua might have worked out very well for her for a variety of reasons, professional and social.

For instance, she could have sold earthquake-prone real estate to retiring Americans with more money than sense, and chummed up with the current vice president. The VP (Murillo) is an old classmate of mine and well-known for her murderous forays. International pariah. Sociopath. Perfect circle for KA to get entry to, and she'd be safe as safe gets. Moreover, this VP seems to have had quite a thing for plastic surgery over the years, changes her appearance all the time, she doesn't look anything like she used to, and she's new age-y . Oh, and has sported big hair from youth. Plus, her guy is next-level heinous. Murillo has it over KA on the latter score by a thousand dimensions, and loads of pilfered money, but there'd still be plenty of common ground for a lifetime of tête à têtes.

Yep, KA shoulda gone to Nicaragua. I'll bet she's kicking herself. Maybe that was her plan when she ran a couple of months ago?

This is in Spanish, but the photos will give you the drift. Lol on the public appearance in the facial peel that hasn't peeled yet.

Biography here, but sprinkle asterisks in every other sentence:

Last edited:
KA was offered and turned down a plea deal shortly before her last escape attempt a few weeks ago.

The plea deal the Austin-based District Attorney Jose Garza offered Armstrong could have shaved years off a potential life sentence if she is convicted at trial, a legal source told DailyMail.com.

'She could have been released from prison in her 50s or 60s ... a heck of a lot sooner than if she's convicted by a jury and gets life in prison.

'Against the advice of her attorney, she rejected the plea deal. She is insisting on trying that case, but for her to again flee ... it's just insane,' said the source, who spoke on condition of anonymity due to a gag order in the case.

I doubt a plea of sudden passion will be successful, given that there is considerable evidence that she stalked Mo and had made threats to kill her months before she actually did (allegedly...eyeroll).

Also, Austin is probably the most liberal area of Texas, so I am not sure that a conviction for felony murder is even a given, though I certainly feel that it should be. JMO

I agree with the success of the sudden passion but won't be surprised if her attorneys argue for it.

It’s actually impressive to me how successful CR authorities were in finding KA using basic gum shoe skills, no electronic technology needed. Yogaheads are a dime a dozen down there, probably half have dyed hair and plastic surgery, because of the demographic they come from. Americans everywhere.
They have experience with murder suspects hiding out in their country.

American Fugitive Arrested in Costa Rica

They have experience with murder suspects hiding out in their country.

American Fugitive Arrested in Costa Rica
Good find! LOL fugitive murder suspects from the US are so unimaginative: they head straight for the "safer" countries or locations, with expats all around. They can't bring themselves to sacrifice their entitled lifestyles.

This trial is supposed to go until the 15th…that is this Wednesday. Still more witnesses for the prosecution, and will the defense have any witnesses? Will the prosecution have a rebuttal if they do?

This trial is supposed to go until the 15th…that is this Wednesday. Still more witnesses for the prosecution, and will the defense have any witnesses? Will the prosecution have a rebuttal if they do?
Good questions. I wonder if the verdict is guilty, will the sentencing portion start right away or if there will be a hearing set for later.

New to the thread and not caught up but from what I have read it seems there is plenty of evidence she is the guilty party. I hope she gets life without parole! Sudden passion is no defense for murder and I feel a plea deal is not fair to the family of the victim. IMO

Good questions. I wonder if the verdict is guilty, will the sentencing portion start right away or if there will be a hearing set for later.

I doubt the sentencing phase would begin immediately, because the defense and the state both will have to contact/subpoena their mitigation and aggravation witnesses to testify before the jury in order for the jury to assess the punishment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aholloway14744