TX - Moriah Wilson, 25, Cyclist Fatally Shot Before Race, Austin, 2022 *arrest* #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
@alcaprari23

Defense's turn.Asks Mertz what is her birthday? How old is she? What college did she go to? What year did she graduate? Shoe size? Favorite color? Favorite band? Favorite song? Favorite TV show?Mertz cannot answer almost all of those questions. Defense wonders if she truly is as good of a friend as she claims to be.

4:09 PM · Nov 8, 2023

@alcaprari23

Upon noticing IG had been deleted: "It just made me think that she had something to do with it even more."Mertz spoke to Armstrong's sister, who told her that Kaitlin was safe.Q: "Why did you reach out to the police?"A: "I just kind of had a feeling. I remembered that comment that she made and I knew that she was not happy with Colin and Moriah hanging out. I just had a feeling and thought that was the right thing to do."

4:07 PM · Nov 8, 2023
VERY interesting comment by Christie. I wonder what date that was. Is that all she told her?

Meredith Aldis
@MeredithonFOX7

KAITLIN ARMSTRONG TRIAL: Lunch break is over. Detective Spitler is back on the stand. LIVE UPDATES
⬇️

@fox7austin
3:28 PM · Nov 8, 2023

Recap from this morning:
APD made a report about vandalism at Strickland's home the day after the murder. Defense says they never got it, motioned for mistrial, judge denied.
Armstrong’s search history from Costa Rica included plastic surgery & how to burn off fingerprints.
3:47 PM · Nov 8, 2023

Det. Spitler speaks to Strickland's innocence saying his phone data shows it was at his home & he was also there at the time (on a call).
Defense: “Let’s talk about hard evidence” saying no one saw who killed Wilson or who was driving the SUV.
3:53 PM · Nov 8, 2023

Defense enters vandalism offense report into evidence. (after State gave it to them)
Def: "Are you aware Strickland had photos of the vandalism?"
Spitler: "I’m not sure."
Def: "Do you wish you had gotten those pictures?
Spitler: "In hindsight, yes, it would have been helpful."
3:57 PM · Nov 8, 2023

Nicole Mertz takes the stand. Armstrong was one of her best friends.
She described Strickland & Armstrong's relationship: "They loved each other and were very close and they worked well together, but it was always off and on & they never referred to each other as bf and gf."
4:03 PM · Nov 8, 2023

Mertz's testimony matches the "anonymous caller" from the arrest affidavit. Mertz says Armstrong told her if Strickland ever had a serious relationship, she would kill her {referring to anyone, not necessarily Wilson}.
4:08 PM · Nov 8, 2023

@alcaprari23

Mertz says she knew Strickland pretty well. She was closer to Armstrong. Mertz says she didn't know Mo Wilson, but was familiar with her given her profession.Mertz says Strickland and Armstrong loved each other and worked well together, but it was "always off and on." They never referred to each other as boyfriend/girlfriend, Mertz says.

3:54 PM · Nov 8, 2023
Pretty harsh they never referred to each other and GF/BF. Very consistent with other things that have been reported as to the nature of the relationship and how seriously each took it. It’s cool to have an undefined couple relationship as long as both members of the couple are on the same wavelength but it seems that was NOT a the case with this couple.

@alcaprari23

In Bentonville, similar to Austin, there is also a restaurant called The Meteor. It is a local hangout for cyclists. It is the same chain as the one in #ATX.Chasteen met Armstrong in 2019 when they were staying with Strickland for his birthday. She and her husband stayed at Colin's home. Upon meeting Armstrong, the two women became friends.

4:14 PM · Nov 8, 2023

Next witness: Nicole Mertz, lives in Austin. First met Kaitlin Armstrong in 2019 shortly after she moved to #ATX. Mertz is a former professional cyclist.Kaitlin was one of her best friends in Austin. They became close in 2020. They would see each other typically every day.

Mertz says she knew Strickland pretty well. She was closer to Armstrong. Mertz says she didn't know Mo Wilson, but was familiar with her given her profession.Mertz says Strickland and Armstrong loved each other and worked well together, but it was "always off and on." They never referred to each other as boyfriend/girlfriend, Mertz says.

Mertz says she and Armstrong stayed with Strickland following the Texas ice storm in 2021. Mertz left after one night, Armstrong never moved out.Strickland would refer to Armstrong as his "lady friend." She called their relationship "casual, but not casual."

Mertz says she knows Armstrong was logged into Colin's iCloud. She knew she had access to his bank accounts and emails. She knew she sent emails from Colin's account for his business. Mertz says she watched her on a laptop access his accounts.

Mertz says Armstrong told her in Oct. 2021 that "they were breaking up for good but they would be in business together and would still be very close and would be in each other's lives."In Nov. 2021, Mertz recounts a big group at the Meteor. Armstrong was quiet, which was not like her. Armstrong told her that Mo was in town with Strickland and she was upset. Colin had brought her to Justine's the night before, which she knew from an email Colin received from OpenTable.Mo walked into the Meteor, but left pretty quickly. Armstrong saw Mo walk in. Armstrong told Mertz that Mo was there. When she told Mertz, "she was pretty angry. Visibly angry. I had never seen her like that before, which is why I remembered it.”

Mertz recalls asking Armstrong what she would do if Colin ever dated someone else. "[Armstrong] said she would kill her," Mertz testifies. #KaitlinArmstrong

Mertz says she remembers Armstrong telling her that she had called Mo earlier that day. Armstrong told Mo that she and Strickland were living together and in business together," Mertz says.

That night, Armstrong told Mertz that she was going to Mexico. She left the very next day. Mertz suggested Armstrong stay with her when she gets back from Mexico. But when she got back, Armstrong stayed with Strickland.

Armstrong occasionally told Mertz about dating other men. She would go on dates when she and Colin were breaking up. She said she would do it to make Colin jealous. One of those dates, Mertz says, was with an NBA basketball player.

Mertz recalls finding out about Mo Wilson's death in a news article."My first thought was that Kaitlin might have had something to do with it." She and Armstrong were still friends. About 2-3 days later, Mertz called the police and shared she had information they should know.

Beginning May 11 at about 2pm, evidenced by text messages, Mertz had no further contact with Armstrong. Mertz texted Armstrong when she heard about Mo, but the text didn't go through. Armstrong's IG had been deleted, too.

Upon noticing IG had been deleted: "It just made me think that she had something to do with it even more."Mertz spoke to Armstrong's sister, who told her that Kaitlin was safe.Q: "Why did you reach out to the police?"A: "I just kind of had a feeling. I remembered that comment that she made and I knew that she was not happy with Colin and Moriah hanging out. I just had a feeling and thought that was the right thing to do.”

Defense's turn.

Asks Mertz what is her birthday? How old is she? What college did she go to? What year did she graduate? Shoe size? Favorite color? Favorite band? Favorite song? Favorite TV show?Mertz cannot answer almost all of those questions. Defense wonders if she truly is as good of a friend as she claims to be.

Clarification on last post: Defense asks Mertz what is *Armstrong's birthday? How old is *Armstrong? etc...No further questions. Witness dismissed.

@alcaprari23

Next witness: Jacqueline Chasteen, lives in Bentonville, Arkansas. She and her husband are heavily involved in cycling community.Chasteen met Colin and then met Armstrong through Colin. Her husband was a photographer who would shoot races.

4:12 PM · Nov 8, 2023
Wonder if he ever got his foot stomped on?

Pretty harsh they never referred to each other and GF/BF. Very consistent with other things that have been reported as to the nature of the relationship and how seriously each took it. It’s cool to have an undefined couple relationship as long as both members of the couple are on the same wavelength but it seems that was NOT a the case with this couple.

Most couples I know that are their age don't use the terms BF/GF to describe their relationship, so this doesn't surprise me. The witness/friend of both KA and CS describes their relationship as loving and close. CS also said that they loved each other, IIRC, when he was on the witness stand.

Chasteen says she would see Armstrong a few times a year. She became closer with Kaitlin and would send occasional messages on IG and FB.Observations of Colin/Armstrong relationship: In the beginning, Colin was head over heels. Toward 2021, they weren't doing well. Armstrong confided she didn't know where the relationship stood. Chasteen says that Colin kept Armstrong at "an arms distance." He would say he didn't have a girlfriend.

4:16 PM · Nov 8, 2023

Chasteen recalls an afterparty at the Meteor in Bentonville. Upon arrival, Armstrong was shooken up. She was trembling and shaking. She told Chasteen that she had found out that Colin had cheated on her but they were back together. Chasteen says Armstrong said Colin had cheated on her with Mo.

4:18 PM · Nov 8, 2023

@alcaprari23

Wilson was also at the Meteor at this moment, which is why she believed Armstrong was so upset. Armstrong tells her that Mo was still texting him and reaching out. Armstrong told her that Colin was trying to keep Mo away, but Mo wouldn't leave him alone.

4:19 PM · Nov 8, 2023

@alcaprari23

Chasteen did not see Strickland or Wilson interact that night. Chasteen did not see Armstrong or Wilson interact that night.The next day, Chasteen texted Armstrong, thanking her for sharing that information. Chasteen didn't think that they were close enough to share those things, so she thanked her for her honesty and offered support.

4:21 PM · Nov 8, 2023

Could be…but wonder what Christy is thinking now?
I think as much as she can, without committing perjury, Christy will do and say everything she can to protect her sister. I guess I will have to give her a pass on that, though I really think she aided and abetted KA's escape, and maybe even helped plan it. I hope she will testify honestly, but I fully expect her to have a lot of memory lapses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mconnectseo