TX - Moriah Wilson, 25, Cyclist Fatally Shot Before Race, Austin, 2022 *arrest* #8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
@alcaprari23

Defines sub-class characteristics as inadvertent or coincidental manufacturing defects or impressions on a firearm that weren't originally intended by the gun maker.

1:36 PM · Nov 15, 2023

Tobin says that gun manufacturers are striving for uniformity among their weapons, but almost certainly are tool marks inadvertently left behind.

1:38 PM · Nov 15, 2023

@alcaprari23

A lot of ballistic jargon being thrown around, but I'll do my best to summarize to my understanding. Tobin is defining striations: essentially marks left behind when a gun is fired. For what it's worth, the court reporter also looks confused by these big words!

1:35 PM · Nov 15, 2023
Bet the jury is also confused with his big words

This seems, to me, like it may be the defense's star witness. His soul job seems to be to cast doubt on the ballistics findings, or confuse the jurors, and he has seemingly impressive credentials, though he does come off as arrogant, so not sure the jury will find him likeable. Do we think the defense will rest after this witness?

Last edited:
@JessicaTaylorTX

Tobin asked about his research on comparative bullet analysis, which he previously called “defunct.” Tobin says September 1, 2005 the FBI was vacating the practice and would not offer it as a forensic service.

1:13 PM · Nov 15, 2023
Here is the 9-1-2005 FBI press release regarding comparative bullet analysis. It appears to me this is referring to bullet lead examination when the gun was not recovered or the bullet was too mutilated. I don't see anything in this PR that mentions the discontinuation of tool mark identification or comparison.

9-1-2005 FBI Press Release

This seems, to me, like it may be the defense's star witness. His soul job seems to be to cast doubt on the ballistics findings, or confuse the jurors, and he has seemingly impressive credentials. Do we think the defense will rest after this witness?
It's the fall back plan -if stolen gun is unlikely to raise some doubt, maybe bullets could have come from different gun will.

@alcaprari23

Tobin says the scientific method is necessary to build a strong hypotheses and conclusion: Prediction, Experiment, Observation and Theory (PEOT). Repeatability is one of the cornerstones of the scientific method, although Tobin says it doesn't necessary apply to ballistics.

1:48 PM · Nov 15, 2023

@alcaprari23

Quartaro discussing transfer DNA and how someone doesn't have to necessarily touch something in order for their DNA to be on it. Someone else can act as the intermediary. Blood, saliva, semen and skin are the main sources of DNA, Quartaro says.

11:49 AM · Nov 15, 2023

Yes, but if CS's DNA is not on Mo's bike, and KA's, is, then there is no way CS transfered KA's DNA to Mo's bike. Plus, transfer DNA can usually be found on one place, not all over the bike.

@alcaprari23

Tobin says there is no scientific accepted protocol for firearms and tool mark examinations because there is no protocol that specifies the parameters of detection. Recall that the defense continued to emphasize with the last ballistic expert that he was giving his subjective opinion when saying that the spent shell casings found at the crime scene were "in agreement" with the test firings from Armstrong's gun.

1:53 PM · Nov 15, 2023

I'm not Rick, but exactly... so why waste everyone's time? She's not a credible or useful witness, imo.
I have to imagine that she would try earnestly to not perjure herself. And going on record here: if my sister ever shows up while I’m doing my artist colony camping thing and she randomly needs my passport: I am quizzing her on what she did, because that girl be GUILTY. And if she left without asking me for it and I henceforth discovered it missing: that girl be even GUILTIER, as they say. I believe high likelihood jurors would agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JSlice