GUILTY TX - Moriah Wilson, 25, Cyclist Fatally Shot Before Race, Austin, 2022 *arrest* #9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
@alcaprari23

Kaitlin Armstrong has entered the courtroom and taken her seat. She does not look at anyone. The Wilson family have their seats behind the prosecution. The Armstrong family are behind the defense. The courtroom is silent. The jury has not yet entered.

3:26 PM · Nov 17, 2023

The jury has entered the courtroom. The punishment has been handed to the bailiff, who hands it to the judge.

3:28 PM · Nov 17, 2023

BREAKING: Kaitlin Armstrong has been sentenced to 90 years in prison and a $10,000 fine.

3:29 PM · Nov 17, 2023
Wow!! Justice for Mo!

This is more than I expected, and I’m very happy about that!

Regarding the plea deal. It came from a source we are not allowed to post here unfortunately, but she said she got it from a 100% reliable source. She has been in the courtroom the entire trial tweeting. FWIW

@alcaprari23

Cash: "Kaitlin, I want you to know that I fought for Mo with everything I had that night. From the moment that I got home and started doing chest compressions, which was the longest 10 minutes of my life, I remember feeling so relieved when the police arrived that help was finally there.""I fought for her afterwards when I was pulled from my home by police and taken downstairs. I initially refused to go to the police because I didn't want to leave her alone.""I couldn't understand why they weren't bring her downstairs to the ambulance so they could take her to the hospital...that was the first moment that night that I realized that there was no coming back from this.""I was questioned for almost three hours that night. they finally let me wash the blood off my hands in the police station bathroom. I'll never forget that moment in the police station bathroom, washing the blood turn red, and wanting to put it back on my hands because that's all that was left of her."

3:33 PM · Nov 17, 2023

@alcaprari23

"Finally Karen called me and it was the hardest moment of my life. She was wailing and screaming...it was the vocalization of grief. Her world had stopped. She was confused and in disbelief. She kept saying over and over again, 'who would ever want to hurt my baby?'""She asked me if I thought it was quick and I said yes, i thought it was quick even though I didn't know. At no point in my life did I ever think I would have to tell someone's mother that I thought their death was quick. Your actions caused that pain."

3:35 PM · Nov 17, 2023

@alcaprari23

Cash: "Kaitlin, I want you to know that I fought for Mo with everything I had that night. From the moment that I got home and started doing chest compressions, which was the longest 10 minutes of my life, I remember feeling so relieved when the police arrived that help was finally there.""I fought for her afterwards when I was pulled from my home by police and taken downstairs. I initially refused to go to the police because I didn't want to leave her alone.""I couldn't understand why they weren't bring her downstairs to the ambulance so they could take her to the hospital...that was the first moment that night that I realized that there was no coming back from this.""I was questioned for almost three hours that night. they finally let me wash the blood off my hands in the police station bathroom. I'll never forget that moment in the police station bathroom, washing the blood turn red, and wanting to put it back on my hands because that's all that was left of her."

3:33 PM · Nov 17, 2023
I am choked up. This is the saddest thing I’ve ever read. I’m not making this about me or my experience but I know exactly what she was saying when she was watching the blood go down the sink and wanting to put it back on her hands.

It’s the oddest, saddest feeling to literally want to hold onto to that blood —letting it go down the drain is like letting that person go too.

Bless her. Poor young woman. She will never forget that, but she is truly is the most amazing friend and thank God she was able to cradle Mo as Mo was flying to Heaven

@alcaprari23

"It has been exhausting showing up every day in court, listening, watching, reliving every moment from so many different angles. It feels so real all over again. I go home every night to my house after watching video after video all day here and there is Mo's ashes sitting on my bedside table waiting for me. I am struck by how much this has affected so many people. I've watched her parents in court every day, not once smiling or interacting everyday, just waiting to see what happens to their own daughter.""I've seen Colin take the stand, unable to even sit fully upright as he answers question after question... a man whose life has also been turned upside down by this tragedy.""So many people in this room have lost so much. It's incredibly difficult to understand someone's life, how they lived, what they meant to others. Words feel completely inadequate right now and they probably always will. How do you distil a life?""I'll forever be honored to have known her, to have held her as a close friend, both in life and in death, and I will have to continually seek out ways to honor her legacy."

3:39 PM · Nov 17, 2023

My guess there are one, or maybe two, that are pushing for a penalty on one end of the scale, and the others at the other end. My guess would be one or two who want her to face something more like 40 years or less, and the rest who want her to get the maximum. I think the closer we get to 5 o'clock on a Friday, the more likely we will get a sentence somewhere in the 60 year range. JMO
Given Texas still has death as a punishment for murder, I think this is why their sentencing guidelines extend up to 99 years of imprisonment.

IMO, opting for the jury to decide sentencing versus the Judge seems a no-brainer by a defendant for this very reason (i.e., range of years and parole/no parole options).

But not every charge falls under the general rule. Some charges are not eligible for parole at all, some have special rules, and some require at least two years or half of the sentence to be served, whichever is more (commonly known as aggravated time or 3g time

The most common are aggravated (3g) offenses, so we’ll start there. These are generally crimes that involve a weapon (not necessarily just firearms), involve some type of organization, or are sexual in nature. And again, they require half of the actual, calendar time to be served (good conduct time does not count at all) or at least two years, whichever is more.

@alcaprari23

"I'm putting in the work right now to process it all and continue healing. I'm trying to open my heart even more and let it all wash over me. I still feel so many things. Guilt from not protecting Mo, for not coming home sooner. I'm angry at you, at the utter tragic nature. At the senselessness. At not being able to hear Mo's voice again. I feel deep sadness for the road ahead that Mo's family must continue to walk. Deep sadness for Matt for now being an only child. And deep sadness for you and your family."Mo once said, "If we are not willing to risk catastrophic failure, we are probably not dreaming, living or loving the right way."

3:41 PM · Nov 17, 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member