TX - Moriah Wilson, 25, prized cyclist, fatally shot before race, Austin, May 2022 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I may be wrong, and a legal mind here can chime in hopefully, but I do not believe she can be taken to jail indefinitely, without the opportunity to make bond, maybe? Now, once arrested, a bond hearing will be scheduled, and at that time, I think it can be adjusted up, down or revoked. That is pretty much what happened in the Naomi Irion case I was following a short while ago. Her alleged murderer, Troy Driver, was initially granted a high bond, but a few days later, there was a bond hearing, and his bond was revoked. I believe that is probably what will happen here. I just hope she cannot make that high bond quickly. JMO

Last edited:
I may be wrong, and a legal mind here can chime in hopefully, but I do not believe she can be taken to jail indefinitely, without the opprtunity to make bond. Now, once arrested, a bond hearing will be scheduled, and at that time, I think it can be adjusted up, down or revoked. That is pretty much what happened in the Naomi Irion case I was following a short wj=hile ago. Her alleged murderer, Troy Driver, was initially granted a high bond, but a few days later, there was a bond hearing, and his bond was revoked. I believe that is probably what will happen here. I just hope she cannot make that high bond quickly. JMO
Thank you for cooling my jets.

Here’s how many capital murder suspects bond out of jail and get arrested again – KHOU 11
<snipped & BBM>
KHOU 11 Investigates analyzed 407 capital murder charges filed in Harris County between September 2016 and September 2021. During those five years, records show 113 or 28%, bonded out of jail. Of those out on the street, 30 or 27% got arrested for another crime.

[...]

During the five years analyzed, court records reveal seven capital murder suspects were charged with robbery, another eight with assault, and three with another murder all while out on bond. Other new crimes allegedly committed by capital murder suspects include drug and weapons charges, evading arrest and possession of child *advertiser censored*.

I may be wrong, and a legal mind here can chime in hopefully, but I do not believe she can be taken to jail indefinitely, without the opportunity to make bond. Now, once arrested, a bond hearing will be scheduled, and at that time, I think it can be adjusted up, down or revoked. That is pretty much what happened in the Naomi Irion case I was following a short while ago. Her alleged murderer, Troy Driver, was initially granted a high bond, but a few days later, there was a bond hearing, and his bond was revoked. I believe that is probably what will happen here. I just hope she cannot make that high bond quickly. JMO
For 1st degree murder & a perp who fled to avoid arrest, it's a good thing she didn't reside in Williamson or Hays counties. They would not have granted bond.

MOO

No. It's Travis County.

Welcome back! Now hit 6th Street for drinks with your friends before finding a country with no extradition treaty.

(Rolling eyes)
Mind boggling!

I’m hoping that that bond entry was entered on the record BEFORE they arrested her in CR. It just doesn’t seem plausible that they would give KA bond at this point. Wasn’t plausible before though - as she was a proven flight risk!

I may be wrong, and a legal mind here can chime in hopefully, but I do not believe she can be taken to jail indefinitely, without the opportunity to make bond. Now, once arrested, a bond hearing will be scheduled, and at that time, I think it can be adjusted up, down or revoked. That is pretty much what happened in the Naomi Irion case I was following a short while ago. Her alleged murderer, Troy Driver, was initially granted a high bond, but a few days later, there was a bond hearing, and his bond was revoked. I believe that is probably what will happen here. I just hope she cannot make that high bond quickly. JMO
Big risk. I bet the Travis County DA is looking forward to explaining why they have a fugitive on the run a second time. Maybe a federal case is in the works?

JMO

For 1st degree murder & a perp who fled to avoid arrest, it's a good thing she didn't reside in Williamson or Hays counties. They would not have granted bond.

MOO
I actually was thinking that Texas justice may be far swifter than the legal justice system. KA may be safer in jail than out on the streets. <modsnip> JMO

Last edited by a moderator:
I may be wrong, and a legal mind here can chime in hopefully, but I do not believe she can be taken to jail indefinitely, without the opportunity to make bond, maybe? Now, once arrested, a bond hearing will be scheduled, and at that time, I think it can be adjusted up, down or revoked. That is pretty much what happened in the Naomi Irion case I was following a short while ago. Her alleged murderer, Troy Driver, was initially granted a high bond, but a few days later, there was a bond hearing, and his bond was revoked. I believe that is probably what will happen here. I just hope she cannot make that high bond quickly. JMO
I sure hope you’re right.

Found this online...

Capital murder is the only charge in Texas in which a defendant is not entitled to a bond as a general rule. If a judge wants to deny bond to a capital murder defendant, he or she can.

However, for all other charges, including murder and manslaughter, defendants are entitled to a bond unless certain, limited circumstances apply. These circumstances are set out in section 11a of the Texas Constitution. They are:

1. If a defendant is charged with a felony and has been convicted of two prior felonies at two different times
  2. If a defendant has been charged with a felony while on bail for a felony for which he has been indicted
  3. If a defendant has been charged of committing a felony with a deadly weapon and has been convicted of a prior felony; or
  4. If a defendant has been accused of murder, aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, aggravated kidnapping, aggravated robbery, aggravated sexual assault, sexual assault, or indecency with a child while on felony probation.
If any of these four circumstances apply, the State has seven days to ask the judge for a hearing to hold the defendant without bond. If, at the hearing, the judge finds that one of these four circumstances applies and (for circumstances 1 and 3 only) if evidence is also presented substantially showing the defendant’s guilt, the judge can order the defendant held without bond for sixty days. But after sixty days, the no bond order is set aside and the judge must set a bond.

Found this online...

Capital murder is the only charge in Texas in which a defendant is not entitled to a bond as a general rule. If a judge wants to deny bond to a capital murder defendant, he or she can.

However, for all other charges, including murder and manslaughter, defendants are entitled to a bond unless certain, limited circumstances apply. These circumstances are set out in section 11a of the Texas Constitution. They are:

1. If a defendant is charged with a felony and has been convicted of two prior felonies at two different times
  2. If a defendant has been charged with a felony while on bail for a felony for which he has been indicted
  3. If a defendant has been charged of committing a felony with a deadly weapon and has been convicted of a prior felony; or
  4. If a defendant has been accused of murder, aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, aggravated kidnapping, aggravated robbery, aggravated sexual assault, sexual assault, or indecency with a child while on felony probation.
If any of these four circumstances apply, the State has seven days to ask the judge for a hearing to hold the defendant without bond. If, at the hearing, the judge finds that one of these four circumstances applies and (for circumstances 1 and 3 only) if evidence is also presented substantially showing the defendant’s guilt, the judge can order the defendant held without bond for sixty days. But after sixty days, the no bond order is set aside and the judge must set a bond.

Thanks. But it seems these don’t apply to KA. :(

And Travis County issued it! With the low % needed to make bond, they know she’s going to be released, that’s why she has to be GPS tracked and turn in her passport. She is a known flight risk and should not have been granted bond. JMO
Travis County issued it? So Costa Rica deported her and isn't pressing charges, so that she can continue on here with her murder trial?

So confused.

Does $3.5 million bond mean she'd only have to put up 10%, or $350,000?

I’m sure she’s making plans in her head already to run. She’d be stupid not to. They’re tempting her. After nearly 50 days as a fugitive, she was a textbook case for NO BOND. With the low % requirement she’ll make it easily. Surrendering her passport is a joke. I’m stunned.

Which passport? :p:p;)

I’m just mind boggled. I know every state has different laws, but we have a case here in FLORIDA — The Dan Markel murder. Charlie Adelson was arrested a few months ago for the shooting murder of Dan 8 years ago. However, Charlie didn’t even pull the trigger, he wasn’t even in the same city as Dan. He hired thugs to kill Dan while his arse went along with his business down in South Florida. Anyway, what I’m getting at is that there NO BOND for Charlie. He was arrested, and will sit in a Tallahassee jail until his trial.

It does not make sense to me that Texas will allow KA to be free until trial if she meets the bond requirements. But then again- I’m not familiar with Texas law.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member