TX - Moriah Wilson, 25, prized cyclist, fatally shot before race, Austin, May 2022 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Really curious about the decision to offer bond. She’s facing a 1st degree murder charge and she’s already fled the country once. Common sense would say bond would be off the table for someone accused in such a violent crime who is most definitely a flight risk, but I guess not. It seems like a very unusual (and reckless) move to allow her to bond out IMO.
Very depressing. I wonder if there's some method behind that madness, though. They'd probably track her aside from a GPS monitor, so do they want to see where she goes or what she does to obtain more evidence? Her employment is shot, so she'd have to move in with someone who would be willing to house her and pay for her expenses.

Travis County issued it? So Costa Rica deported her and isn't pressing charges, so that she can continue on here with her murder trial?

So confused.

Does $3.5 million bond mean she'd only have to put up 10%, or $350,000?
I don’t think she’s actually physically been deported yet, but yes CR has started the paper work and process per an article I read earlier. It could take up to 30 days.

Travis County issued it? So Costa Rica deported her and isn't pressing charges, so that she can continue on here with her murder trial?

So confused.

Does $3.5 million bond mean she'd only have to put up 10%, or $350,000?
Bonds require 2-10%, not sure what number hers would fall at.
She’s in the deportation process right now in Costa Rica.

I don’t think she’s actually physically been deported yet, but yes CR has started the paper work and process per an article I read earlier. It could take up to 30 days.
I’m sure it’ll be speedy, because there’s no investigation to do and it’s such a high profile case. I also assumed Texas really wanted her back, until I read about the bond. :(

Very depressing. I wonder if there's some method behind that madness, though. They'd probably track her aside from a GPS monitor, so do they want to see where she goes or what she does to obtain more evidence? Her employment is shot, so she'd have to move in with someone who would be willing to house her and pay for her expenses.
That's my question: where would she stay if she is released on bond? Surely CS won't let her live at their house. Perhaps one of the 2 other properties she owns in Austin? I know she is renting one of them out but she may be able to move into the other one.

That's my question: where would she stay if she is released on bond? Surely CS won't let her live at their house. Perhaps one of the 2 other properties she owns in Austin? I know she is renting one of them out but she may be able to move into the other one.
Right! And would she be allowed to retrieve her things from Colin's, assuming he hasn't thrown them out? They may have joint furniture, aside from her personal items. Would she just ... obtain a job at an Austin yoga studio? Most likely not! And doubtful any mortgage company/bank would hire her after all of this. She's going to need income.

She could maybe stay at her sister's place. She already has her passport, she may as well take her house too. Besides, isn't sis living at the "hippie wellness retreat" now? JMO

Last edited:
Here’s how many capital murder suspects bond out of jail and get arrested again – KHOU 11
<snipped & BBM>
KHOU 11 Investigates analyzed 407 capital murder charges filed in Harris County between September 2016 and September 2021. During those five years, records show 113 or 28%, bonded out of jail. Of those out on the street, 30 or 27% got arrested for another crime.

[...]

During the five years analyzed, court records reveal seven capital murder suspects were charged with robbery, another eight with assault, and three with another murder all while out on bond. Other new crimes allegedly committed by capital murder suspects include drug and weapons charges, evading arrest and possession of child *advertiser censored*.
But surely the feds can still charge her with fraudulent passport. That could keep her in jail, too.

She could maybe stay at her sister's place. She already has her passport, she may as well take her house too. Besides, isn't sis living in the "hippie commune wellness retreat" now? JMO
It’s really a slap in the face to Moriah’s family. I was sure that with her many weeks on the run she’d be designated a flight risk. I wish Moriah’s family would petition the court and speak to the DA’s office about revoking bond ——unfortunately, they seem to be very quiet, withdrawn people who are more heartbroken than angry.

It’s really a slap in the face to Moriah’s family. I was sure that with her many weeks on the run she’d be designated a flight risk. I wish Moriah’s family would petition the court and speak to the DA’s office about revoking bond ——unfortunately, they seem to be very quiet, withdrawn people who are more heartbroken than angry.
Agreed. Does this all mean that she's been provided with a defense attorney (or has hired one) and entered a plea of not guilty here in the US even though she hasn't been sent back here yet? Because if she plead guilty, there'd be no need for bail.

Agreed. Does this all mean that she's been provided with a defense attorney (or has hired one) and entered a plea of not guilty here in the US even though she hasn't been sent back here yet? Because if she plead guilty, there'd be no need for bail.
I think yes. Her father probably got things going as soon as he knew of the arrest on June 29.

Exactly, nothing shows on her court record about entering a plea, etc. Not to mention, the media would have reported on her appearance in court.

So I think this must be some kind of legal procedure in the bureaucratic court electronic system, rather than an actual order handed down by a judge.

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members