TX - Moriah Wilson, Cyclist Fatally Shot Before Race, Austin, #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree. It was Mo asking CS in January what is going on, does he just want to be friends, did he get her texts, etc. Mo was clearly confused and wanted to talk it out. Because she assumed they had something. IMO. Mo. probably felt misled. If Mo didn’t want to be involved with CS she would have been relieved he was there with his GF and wouldn’t have sent that text asking for clarification. And his response, “this was a mistake” - I wonder if he meant his involvement with Mo was a mistake or bringing KA to that January event was a mistake?

I think he was trying to placate MW by saying that it was a mistake to have had KA accompany him to the event under discussion. He was probably telling an upset KA something similar.

I hope there’s no way that he can make this one can go away. Seriously, this was a violent murder. It’s not like the two were fighting and she killed her by accident. And then the unlawful flight, the passport. And Moriah’s family deserves decent justice.

I used to know an attorney who was licensed in about 3 or more states. I’m not sure that was on his website, though.

I do wonder if KA and MW were physically fighting and if that is how MW got the cut on her finger and chin that was reported. In the end, KA was the aggressor and had a firearm with her, and MW didn't.

There is a hearing on 7/20 @ 9am.

I wonder what the reason is for KA not to be appearing at the 7/20/22 hearing. I’ve never seen a defendant not be present at the initial arraignment to enter their plea before the judge.

Art. 26.011. WAIVER OF ARRAIGNMENT. An attorney representing a defendant may present a waiver of arraignment, and the clerk of the court may not require the presence of the defendant as a condition of accepting the waiver.

Added by Acts 2001, 77th Leg., ch. 818, Sec. 1, eff. June 14, 2001.

According to the Court Docket for July 20, this will be in the 403rd Criminal District Court of the Honorable Brenda Kennedy. Part of her published guidelines includes the following for unindicted status and the defendant represented by an attorney. It's not clear to me if prosecutors indict the responsible party for felonies or if the indictment by a grand jury in Texas? At least the hour is consistent:

1657372718504.png

Last edited:
Don’t forget this part of her -planning-
Just pure jealous EVIL
Not a crime of passion!

Neighbor, David Harris, 47, said said he did not hear any gunfire on the night of the murder.
‘I think I would have heard gunshots next door if she was using a 9mm so the shooter must have used a suppressor,’ he told the US Sun.

I do wonder if KA and MW were physically fighting and if that is how MW got the cut on her finger and chin that was reported. In the end, KA was the aggressor and had a firearm with her, and MW didn't.
That may have occurred if Mo ran to the bathroom and was trying to lock herself in, and KA was pulling her out.

According to the Court Docket for July 20, this will be in the 403rd Criminal District Court of the Honorable Brenda Kennedy. Part of her published guidelines includes the following for unindicted status and the defendant represented by an attorney -- at least the hour is consistent:

View attachment 353500

She was indicted by a grand jury. Does this mean that she does in fact have to appear?

I see what you mean.. the bolded “in hindsight” line *could* be taken to mean his relationship with MW wasn’t a good idea.

There was a text message of an event where Wilson saw Strickland and Armstrong, and Wilson sent Strickland a message.

“Hey! Sooo I would like to talk to you at some point. I had originally texted you on Friday but appears my texts aren’t going through again. This weekend was strange for me and I just want to know what’s going on. If you just want to be friends (seems to be the case) then that’s cool, but I’d like to talk about it cause honestly my mind has been going circles and I don’t know what to think.”

The next day Strickland wrote, “Hey Mo- I feel very sh*tty for putting you in a position where you don’t feel comfortable. Kaitlin came along the go to a meeting about the sprinter/spartan hotel project. In hindsight, this was not a good idea.”

The affidavit says that based off of this conversation Wilson appeared “under the impression she was still in a romantic relationship with Strickland even though he was currently dating Armstrong.”

If he only had a platonic (i.e. friendship) relationship with MW as he has stated to LE, then why would MW be sending him this kind of text?

If he only had a platonic (i.e. friendship) relationship with MW as he has stated to LE, then why would MW be sending him this kind of text?
Of course. And in addition, I don’t think they would have met privately for swimming and eating on May 11 either, if it was a professional friendship only— they would have met in a group, perhaps even with KA invited as CS’s live-in girlfriend.

Don’t forget this part of her -planning-
Just pure jealous EVIL
Not a crime of passion!

Neighbor, David Harris, 47, said said he did not hear any gunfire on the night of the murder.
‘I think I would have heard gunshots next door if she was using a 9mm so the shooter must have used a suppressor,’ he told the US Sun.

I don't think this has been established yet, it is just the neighbor's opinion/explanation as he tries to figure out why he didn't hear any gunshots. If a silencer was used, however this would indicate planning, but we don't know that yet.

I do not think it was platonic. I think CS was interested in MW sexually, and possibly romantically, but not ready to give up his life with KA. I think MW was likewise interested in CS, and that text to him was intended to clarify the status of her relationship with him.

I believe OP in post #1283 was questioning whether CS’s response to MW meant bringing KA to the January event was a mistake, or whether getting involved with MW was the mistake.

I may be incorrectly interpreting the OP’s question. Either way, I believe CS did intend to convey to MW that bringing KA along was the mistake. IMO, CS was not shutting down MW’s interest in him. He was playing both sides, and threading KA along when his interest had moved to MW. The proverbial ‘cake and eat it too’.

Either MW eventually shut it down to a platonic status by May, or it wasn‘t platonic, even then. Either she or KA may have given CS an ultimatum to choose. Again, totally my opinion.

Of course. And in addition, I don’t think they would have met privately for swimming and eating on May 11 either, if it was a professional friendship only— they would have met in a group, perhaps even with KA invited as CS’s live-in girlfriend.

I doubt CS and KA would attend together a group event of other cyclists if MW was there, given that CS and MW had a less than platonic relationship during the fall breakup of CS and KA. I think that alone would have made the three of them uncomfortable.

But I do think that MW would have put less energy into this "friendship" with CS and kept it more as a professional friendship during her trip to Austin in May, if she had known in advance of the trip that he had no intention of ending his relationship with KA.

What is deeply disturbing about the information Garcia relates is that it reveals poor Mo was likely shot in the head multiple times AFTER falling to the floor and being rendered defenseless. A disturbing image and indeed makes Armstrong seem as Deputy Filla says, “the worst of the worst”.
Just awful, and if any of those shots were from behind, KA surely can't claim self defense.

I do not think it was platonic. I think CS was interested in MW sexually, and possibly romantically, but not ready to give up his life with KA. I think MW was likewise interested in CS, and that text to him was intended to clarify the status of her relationship with him.

I believe OP in post #1283 was questioning whether CS’s response to MW meant bringing KA to the January event was a mistake, or whether getting involved with MW was the mistake.

I may be incorrectly interpreting the OP’s question. Either way, I believe CS did intend to convey to MW that bringing KA along was the mistake. IMO, CS was not shutting down MW’s interest in him. He was playing both sides, and threading KA along when his interest had moved to MW. The proverbial ‘cake and eat it too’.

Either MW eventually shut it down to a platonic status by May, or it wasn‘t platonic, even then. Either she or KA may have given CS an ultimatum to choose. Again, totally my opinion.
I agree, except with the second to last sentecne. I don't think MW would need to give CS an ultimatum to choose, as I think MW thought CS had already chosen, and that he chose her. He gave her that impression, I think, and who knows what he said to her to make her believe that.

Depending on the strategic direction of KA's legal team, we might find out more at the trial when CS is on the stand.

(bolded above where I edited my post)

Last edited:
According to the Court Docket for July 20, this will be in the 403rd Criminal District Court of the Honorable Brenda Kennedy. Part of her published guidelines includes the following for unindicted status and the defendant represented by an attorney. It's not clear to me if prosecutors indict the responsible party for felonies or if the indictment by a grand jury in Texas? At least the hour is consistent:

View attachment 353500

There was a Grand Jury indictment of KA on 6/10/22.

Register of Actions

odysseyweb.traviscountytx.gov

And this article states she was indicted.​

What charges does Armstrong face?​

On June 10, a Travis County grand jury indicted Armstrong for murder, which carries a prison sentence of five years to 99 years or life.

Attachments

• 874D1D7D-7EB8-4170-A7EF-138D7A1C0265.jpeg
    874D1D7D-7EB8-4170-A7EF-138D7A1C0265.jpeg
    94.6 KB · Views: 12

Based on how MW’s text was written, CS’s descriptions of their relationship, and MW’s family’s assertion that MW was not in a relationship, I suspect that what MW and CS had was a “friends with benefits” arrangement that was set-up and clearly understood by CS but was confusing for MW (especially when she saw that CS was still with KA). MOO, based on having found myself in a similar situation when I was young and naive.

I believe that CS was saying that he and MW had were “in a relationship” when he and KA were on a break but, once he and KA reconciled, that’s when his and MW’s relationship became professional.

KA would clearly harbor ill feelings about CS being in a relationship with MW during their break, even if the relationship was now platonic, so I don’t think they would be inviting her if they were to meet up just to chat. :p

All MOO.

She was indicted by a grand jury. Does this mean that she does in fact have to appear?
I think technically she would unless she waived the arraignment. The docket indicates she will not appear for the first designation on 7/20. Do you recall when the grand jury indicted KA? I ask because every case in TX I've followed typically has at least 3 unindicted designation settings. Thanks.

ETA: Grand Jury indictment on June 10 -- courtesy of @steeltowngirl.

Last edited:
I agree, except with the second to last sentecne. I don't think MW gave CS an ultimatum to choose, as I think MW thought CS had already chosen, and that he chose her. He gave her that impression, I think, and who knows what he said to her to make her believe that.

Depending on the strategic direction of KA's legal team, we might find out more at the trial when CS is on the stand.
Could be so. MW’s family was adamant that she was not in a romantic relationship. I probably want to convince myself that MW had seen through CS’s immaturity, and despite any impression he gave to her, that she recognized he was not equipped to make an actual choice and follow through on it.

Again, that’s just me wanting to posthumously shift power back to MW. Everything else was taken away from her as a result of her interactions with KA, which ultimately tied to interactions with CS. I want to credit her with emotional intelligence, though I acknowledge that I have no proof of that. I just want it to be so.

jmo

There was a Grand Jury indictment of KA on 6/10/22.

Register of Actions

And this article states she was indicted.​

What charges does Armstrong face?​

On June 10, a Travis County grand jury indicted Armstrong for murder, which carries a prison sentence of five years to 99 years or life.
Thank you @steeltowngirl! This is red-letter day -- first Texas case I've followed that did not have at least 3 unindicted designation settings. This is good news for #justiceforMW. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member