TX - Moriah Wilson, Cyclist Fatally Shot Before Race, Austin, #4

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
But just coming to someone’s house with a gun and killing a person who in no way threatens you, just is interested in your guy, who (as it seems to me) gives too many indications of not loving you, is a true crime.
Well yes, but in KA's eyes MW was a threat to her future with whatsisname. And she may well have been right. Not that it justifies murder of course.

Murderous jealousy -- it's in our genes

Jealousy is possibly the most destructive emotion housed in the human brain. It’s the leading cause of spousal murder worldwide, according to analyses I did of data over the last century. And, statistics show, it’s the leading drive behind the killing of “mate poachers” — interlopers who attempt to lure away our partners.

<snipped>

We discovered that mate poachers evoke an astonishing number of homicidal fantasies in otherwise normal people. In a study of 5,000 people in six cultures, 84% of women and 91% of men admitted to having had at least one fantasy of murder, and the vast majority fantasized about killing sexual rivals, often in painful and gruesome ways. Fortunately, most don’t act on their homicidal fantasies. Laws and morals are powerful deterrents to murderous impulses — most of the time.
I knew that had to be Dr. Buss! He's local to the case, (I mean he's a professor at UT Austin) so maybe he'll sit in on the trial/write a book/do a podcast

Well yes, but in KA's eyes MW was a threat to her future with whatsisname. And she may well have been right. Not that it justifies murder of course.

It would be interesting to know the pattern of previous relationships of KA. KA must have loved CS with such abandon. It usually happens in younger age, and after 30, women wisen up. The problem was not MW, who lived in a different city, (across the country), and did not hasten up to see CS unless there were tournaments. The problem was CS and his relationship with KA. Usually, people either split or work on the relationship in traditional ways. No one just removes the rival.

My guess was he had tried to hit on her, and she wasn't interested or blew him off, so that is why he's talking junk about her now. JMO

This is quite possible, btw. In itself, yours is a very rational interpretation of the story. As to “talking junk” about her, as time goes by, it might be more common, as people are wondering how a sweet person they knew could murder someone, and are looking for “early warning signs” that they could have missed.

Ten bucks says MW wouldn't have had CS for serious in the long run. She would've been looking for someone with more of his s*** together.

Fifty for the same. Mo was young and just entering this big world of elite athletes; she was getting known. She recently quit her job to work at her sports career, things were moving very fast for her. It is possible that she was trying to advance as much as she could, to get known, without binding herself seriously in a relationship. An athlete’s time is short, but some end up being anchormen/women, well-known coaches, or the “faces” of major businesses. Who knows what would have happened; all her plans were mercilessly cut off.

True, but even looks-wise, Mo outshined Kaitlyn - easily. So why are there so few photos of Mo, and so many, of Kaitlin?
Maybe because until 6 days ago, KA was a fugitive and LE wanted all eyes out for her.

And as far as who “outshined” who in the looks category—that is purely subjective, especially since one is labelled innocent victim and the other a murderer.

Maybe because until 6 days ago, KA was a fugitive and LE wanted all eyes out for her.

And as far as who “outshined” who in the looks category—that is purely subjective, especially since one is labelled innocent victim and the other a murderer.
I totally agree. I'm not sure why so much is being made of which of the two women were better looking, and which is getting more pics published in the press. We aren't judging a beauty contest, and if we were, we still wouldn't have a unanimous answer. Someone posted here, yesterday I believe, that they think this case has mainly attracted female posters. I'm not really sure that I agree with that, other than to the extent that I think this site perhaps has more female than male members, and don't understand the logic behind the thought that guys don't care about this case, as surely as many guys have been cheated on in volatile relationships as have ladies. FWIW, I am a guy (I'm not really a Boxer), and I have followed this case since before a thread was made for it. In fact, if I knew how to start a thread, (after all these years, I still do not), I would have. And not that it matters, but I think both of the young women in this tragic case were beautiful. It seems many feel the need to describe KA as some vain old troll, who without regular trips to a cosmetic surgeon, would have looked repulsive. As a man, I disagree. The crime she committed is horribly ugly, but physically, she is certainly not, and it is very apparent that her last cosmetic surgery was not so much to improve her looks, as it was to change her looks, for what should be apparent reasons.

And finally, as to why there are more pictures of her shown than there are of MW, as I said earlier, KA is the one who kept her face in the news by fleeing, and being on the run for some 43 days, while the public was being encouraged to keep an eye out for her. And once she was finally caught, and looked so very different, a new narrative took the news for a few days. I think you will see that, even now, she is no longer front page news on every newspaper out there, nor the lead story on every news site. MW will again be the focal point and face of this story, as she should be, when it finally goes to trial. JMO

Last edited:
This is quite possible, btw. In itself, yours is a very rational interpretation of the story. As to “talking junk” about her, as time goes by, it might be more common, as people are wondering how a sweet person they knew could murder someone, and are looking for “early warning signs” that they could have missed.
Or they are re-writing the narrative to help them understand their cognitive dissonance.

I’m assuming there’s not going to be much new until KA’s hearing on July 20, 9 am, which is 9 days from now.

Even though only her attorney will appear, I hope we find out a lot regarding if bail or charges will be upgraded, among other things….

I knew that had to be Dr. Buss! He's local to the case, (I mean he's a professor at UT Austin) so maybe he'll sit in on the trial/write a book/do a podcast
I would like to take a look at his book and the research he has done on the evolutionary role of jealousy, etc. it sounds interesting. Since he works in Austin at UT, you never know, he may be an expert witness.

ETA: Here is the title of his book, as mentioned in the MSM article I posted above.

DAVID M. BUSS IS A PROFESSOR OF PSYCHOLOGY AT THE UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS AND AUTHOR OF "THE DANGEROUS PASSION: WHY JEALOUSY IS AS NECESSARY AS LOVE AND SEX."

Last edited:
I would like to take a look at his book and the research he has done on the evoluntionary role of jealousy, etc. it sounds interesting. Since he works in Austin at UT, you never know, he may be an expert witness.

ETA: Here is the title of his book, as mentioned in the MSM article I posted above.

DAVID M. BUSS IS A PROFESSOR OF PSYCHOLOGY AT THE UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS AND AUTHOR OF "THE DANGEROUS PASSION: WHY JEALOUSY IS AS NECESSARY AS LOVE AND SEX."
Somehow I don't think the "why" of this crime is going to be this deeply explored at trial (assuming a trial will happen).

I think it matters to many of us looking for answers, of course, but introducing evolutionary pattern research as evidence just seems far-fetched to me.

The trial will be focused on motive, means & opportunity.

Motive really doesn't need theoretical support to be proven in this case IMHO. And calling someone like Buss for the defense is unlikely to mitigate the crime in the eyes of jurors.

Clearly provable means & opportunity coupled with evidence of KA's ongoing vigilance in trying to stop any contact between CS & MW should & will be enough.

Just my opinion

Somehow I don't think the "why" of this crime is going to be this deeply explored at trial (assuming a trial will happen).

I think it matters to many of us looking for answers, of course, but introducing evolutionary pattern research as evidence just seems far-fetched to me.

Motive really doesn't need theoretical support to be proven in this case IMHO. And calling someone like Buss for the defense is unlikely to mitigate the crime in the eyes of jurors.

Means & opportunity coupled with evidence of KA's ongoing vigilance in trying to stop any contact between CS & MW should & will be enough.

Just my opinion
Yes, as far as the trial goes, it will definitely be based on the logistics, and the practical and technical circumstantial and forensic analysis of facts, which thus far weigh against KA.

Clearly provable means & opportunity coupled with evidence of KA's ongoing vigilance in trying to stop any contact between CS & MW should & will be enough.

Just my opinion

You never know. During the penalty phase of the trial, if the defense presents a sudden passion defense, Buss might have something to offer that is helpful, not necessarily a lesson in evolution, but how the biology works to override reason, etc. If not David Buss, I wouldn't count out other expert witnesses during the trial.

You never know. During the penalty phase of the trial, if the defense presents a sudden passion defense, Buss might have something to offer that is helpful, not necessarily a lesson in evolution, but how the biology works to override reason, etc. If not David Buss, I wouldn't count out other expert witnesses during the trial.
Yes, the issue could even be raised as a mitigating factor during the trial, by the defense. But the hard forensic and circumstantial evidence at that juncture will weigh heavily as to actual guilt or innocence. The degree, though, could be questioned by the defense regarding that issue. We don’t yet know what range the prosecution will offer in terms of possible convictions.

In the study quoted by @sundog: "In a study of 5,000 people in six cultures, 84% of women and 91% of men admitted to having had at least one fantasy of murder, and the vast majority fantasized about killing sexual rivals, often in painful and gruesome ways."
I have to laugh at how true this is. About 30 years ago, Buddhist me and my peaceful yogi friend were both going through major breakups, with our respective partners leaving long relationships for younger women. I can't tell you how many revenge fantasies we entertained, like would it be better to kill him outright, or kill the new GF to cause him more suffering. Of course it never went beyond the fantasy stage and we both eventually healed over time and remarried, but when you're in the throes of profound loss and betrayal, the mind does crazy things.
For those who might be in a similar situation, I came across this book twenty years later, with insights on that time of great trauma: Runaway Husbands: The Abandoned Wife's Guide to Recovery and Renewal by Vikki Stark

I’m assuming there’s not going to be much new until KA’s hearing on July 20, 9 am, which is 9 days from now.

Even though only her attorney will appear, I hope we find out a lot regarding if bail or charges will be upgraded, among other things….
You are probably correct. At the last PC, Marshal Filla said he would be available for interviews. I was hoping he would have done some interviews, leaking out a little more info, but haven’t seen any. I guess it’s best not to show your hand until the July 20 hearing.

As far as her maybe coming up with bail money…I really don’t think she can unless someone else helps her. She had to sell her SUV to come up with cash to leave (which was only about 12K), and sounds like she had at least one credit card that was maxed out…doesn’t sound like someone who was financially in a great place. She was trying to live as cheaply as possible in CR.

A lot has been made about her love of yoga, which I think it was, but it was also a way for her to try to make some money as a teacher in a place where her options were limited.

LOL, the only thing we don't have is the name of her plastic surgeon in Colombia, it would be such an advertisement for him/her!
RSBM for focus.

This might be the surgeon.

At least he appears to be the primary surgeon at Ava in San Rafael de Escazu, as shown in the cosmetic surgery “receipt”, if the receipt is legitimate.

Attachments

• 1157538F-7559-404D-A6C0-6CB4678F8E25.jpeg
    1157538F-7559-404D-A6C0-6CB4678F8E25.jpeg
    44.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 4BE45AEA-86E5-4145-ABB9-0EB195EC3EF8.jpeg
    4BE45AEA-86E5-4145-ABB9-0EB195EC3EF8.jpeg
    89.9 KB · Views: 3
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online