TX - Nichol Olsen, 37, & 2 daughters, found shot dead inside mansion, Bexar County, 10 Jan 2019 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This statement was prior to medical examiners ruling.
Correct.

The Newsweek article is dated 1/11/19 AT 4:26 AM, less than 24 hours after CW’s 911 call (“Police said that Olsen's boyfriend Charles Wheeler, who lives at the home with the woman, called 911 at about 9.04am and said he had just arrived home to find the bodies“).
Two teen girls and woman in her 30s 'all from the same family' found shot dead in Texas mansion | Daily Mail Online

The Denton Record-Chronicle was published the same day the bodies were found.

BCSO did a live feed of Sheriff Salazar’s ad hoc press conference at 12:30 pm on Jan. 10, in which he shared:

“We do believe that at this point, at least two of them appear to be murders. Of course, the medical examiner will make the final determination. It’s just too early to tell on the third person if that is a murder or a suicide. We’ll let the medical examiner take a look at it” (50”);

The BCSO CSI unit and their mobile crime lab are at the scene (1’05”);

Homicide is speaking to the male occupant of the residence (1’17”);

The young female victims, preliminarily, LE believes they are the victims of foul play (1’35”);

A reporter says, “So, the older woman, that’s the one you are not clear about right now,” to which the sheriff answers, “Yes, sir” (1’49”);

The sheriff hasn’t been to the crime scene himself (2’20”);

He hasn’t spoken to the male resident, but as he understands, the detectives are speaking to him (5’10”);

He requests that the neighbors check their security camera footage between the night before into the morning and if they see anything out of the ordinary, contact LE (5’30”);

He doesn’t know whether the residence is equipped with a security system or surveillance cameras, but if there is, LE will be reviewing it; they will also be canvassing the area to see if neighbors have any (6’20”)

Also, it was only three hours before the press conference that NO and the girls were pronounced deceased:

Bexar County Medical Examiner's Office and Toxicology Laboratory
911D892D-9369-40AC-BD45-E6F7ACFCA36A.jpeg

So at the time of the press conference, the sheriff had very limited information.

I was just wondering why he seemed less sure, IMO, about NO’s possible manner of death, compared to the girls’.

Last edited:
IMO something they "saw" at the scene prevented them from announcing suicide right off the bat, even though they were able to say homicide on the girls. Perhaps body, weapon, or wound placement?
Rsbm.
I interpreted it the opposite way, that they saw something that precluded them from stating all three were homicides. I would expect that upon seeing three deceased persons, the first thought would go first to homicide, and then to suicide if the circumstances indicated such. Apparently very early it was obvious to investigators it was not a triple homicide, which was of course confirmed by the ME. MOO.

If anyone sends a message using Websleuths messaging and it is threatening, rude or against our terms of service in any way please DO NOT ERASE IT and always contact a mod or myself if this happens.

If you are having issues with a fellow poster you have to provide all the information, including any communication between the two of you.

If you make an accusation but fail to follow up with the proof then there is nothing we can do.
Thank you,
Tricia

Rsbm.
I interpreted it the opposite way, that they saw something that precluded them from stating all three were homicides. I would expect that upon seeing three deceased persons, the first thought would go first to homicide, and then to suicide if the circumstances indicated such. Apparently very early it was obvious to investigators it was not a triple homicide, which was of course confirmed by the ME. MOO.
Not according to the many quotes above by the sheriff. NO's cause of death is not finally determined yet.

The medical examiner can only explain how the bodies looked and how they died. They cannot investigate entirely who did the shooting right?

Isnt that the job of investigators to identify who did the actual shootings?
Yes and I have no doubt those investigators are confident in the conclusion NO was responsible for the murders of her children.

The final determination usually boils down to test results. There will be GSR, shell casings, fingerprints on weapon, toxicology reports....and all of that testing can be done by highly trained professionals at the Bexar County's Criminal Investigation Lab.

All the Sheriff's office seems to be doing with the help of the FBI is confirming CW's alibi. But even if it can't be confirmed, there will be no way to prosecute him if none of the forensic evidence implicates him.

JMO

Criminal Investigation Laboratory | Bexar County, TX - Official Website

For those of you who've actively followed more cases than I have...... are there other cases similar to this where it appears based on ME findings to be m/s, but they continued investigating? This case is quite curious to me....

TIA
I’ve been around awhile, I don’t recall any. But here are a few recent m/s with mom as the culprit:
Mom who killed 4 adopted children, self kept ‘loving home,’ sheriff says

Cops: Mom who killed kids, self revealed motive in texts

Mom sets self on fire, killing herself and twin daughters

Police say Wilmington mom kills child, self in shooting - WWAY TV

Thank you! I can wrap my head around m/s, it hurts my heart, but I know there's precedence out there. Its the ongoing investigation that has me confused (I guess that's the word I want, but maybe not). I appreciate that they're investigating, just seems interesting I guess. I have no strong feelings or opinions about what happened, just been following quietly and wondering.

For those of you who've actively followed more cases than I have...... are there other cases similar to this where it appears based on ME findings to be m/s, but they continued investigating? This case is quite curious to me....

TIA
I have never heard of a similar case involving multiple fatalities and that is why the statements of the Sheriff are quite curious.

JMO

TIA
In my experience, the investigation does continue for a time. They want to document circumstances, motive, etc. What makes this different is the Sheriff giving daily interviews on every media outlet in Texas.

TIA
I’ve been around awhile, I don’t recall any. But here are a few recent m/s with mom as the culprit:
Mom who killed 4 adopted children, self kept ‘loving home,’ sheriff says

Cops: Mom who killed kids, self revealed motive in texts

Mom sets self on fire, killing herself and twin daughters

Police say Wilmington mom kills child, self in shooting - WWAY TV

Why Syracuse mom killed her 2 daughters still unknown

Edit to add last entry (found by @squid )

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members