TX - Nichol Olsen, 37, & 2 daughters, found shot dead inside mansion, Bexar County, 10 Jan 2019 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
FWIW. This doesn't prove or disprove anything. It's just one article/study on "suicide staging," which seems to be increasing. The authors of the study attribute that to CSI-type shows and movies teaching people how forensics work and that hiding murder is harder than ever. The authors also call for medical examiners to be well aware of the trend. Statistics below from (2014) Getting Away With Murder: An Examination of Detected Homicides Staged as Suicides:
  • 93% of suicide stagers are men
  • 50% of staged suicides involve intimate relationships
  • 75% have no suicide notes
  • 68% involve rearrangement of body
  • 44% of the staged suicides studied were called homicides by medical examiner
  • weapons were almost always rearranged to simulate suicide
  • at least 50% of stagers "discover" their victim
  • in US the majority of staged suicides are gun-related
SAGE Journals: Your gateway to world-class journal research

In my experience, the investigation does continue for a time. They want to document circumstances, motive, etc. What makes this different is the Sheriff giving daily interviews on every media outlet in Texas.

Ah thank you! So I shouldn't be attempting in my head to asign any meaning to the fact that this is still under investigation?

Salazar gave the first press conference within a couple of hours of the 911 call. He admits that he (Salazar) had not been inside the home yet. Per his detectives (I'm assuming since he had not been in home yet), the two younger females appear to be homicide, but too early to say whether older female is homicide or suicide. IMO something they "saw" at the scene prevented them from announcing suicide right off the bat, even though they were able to say homicide on the girls. Perhaps body, weapon, or wound placement?

Salazar's comment about what happened the night before and in the morning, I took it to mean that at the time of the news conference, they were aware of the incident (argument, fight) the night before, and that CW was also the one to find them in the morning MOO. However, there could be other reasons why Salazar said that, that we are unaware of at this point. I recall in a news article that relatives arrived at the scene very early on. Perhaps something was said about texts or phone calls, etc. that they received the night before from NO and/or daughters.
I can’t find video, but can try to look. If you remember, the video showed relatives rushing to the house on foot, and one older female was heard on her phone saying, call me baby. I took it to mean she was calling Nichol. Imo. Such a sad sad scene.

I can’t find video, but can try to look. If you remember, the video showed relatives rushing to the house on foot, and one older female was heard on her phone saying, call me baby. I took it to mean she was calling Nichol. Imo. Such a sad sad scene.
I don't remember seeing a video of the relatives at the scene, I only recall reading about them being there. I'd like to see the video.

The first three articles make reference to investigations after the deaths.
I think such investigations are usually attempts to find the motive or the "why" a parent would decide to murder their children. The families are often left struggling because they didn't see it coming and often blame themselves. What's unusual in this case is that the family decided to focus on the rich guy who owned the house and found the bodies rather than the one who killed herself.

We still don't know why NO decided to kill her children. It could very well be related to disputes over custody or child support. Volatile relationships often have an element of "revenge" in the mix and the children pay the ultimate price.

JMO

We still don't know why NO decided to kill her children. It could very well be related to disputes over custody or child support. Volatile relationships often have an element of "revenge" in the mix and the children pay the ultimate price.

JMO

Actually, we don't know IF NO killed her children. <modsnip - personalized> As far as I know, nothing has changed today. This is still an ongoing investigation and the FBI has just recently become involved.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, we don't know IF NO killed her children. <modsnip - personalized> As far as I know, nothing has changed today. This is still an ongoing investigation and the FBI has just recently become involved.
I'm allowed to state my opinion and it is not based on wishful thinking. FACT: The ME has NOT changed the ruling of suicide in NO's death nor has the Sheriff challenged the ruling.

I have never heard of a case involving multiple fatalities and the person who committed suicide was NOT responsible for the homicides. If there is such a case, I'd like to see a link. Thanks.

JMO

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm allowed to state my opinion and it is not based on wishful thinking. FACT: The ME has NOT changed the ruling of suicide in NO's death nor has the Sheriff challenged the ruling.

I have never heard of a case involving multiple fatalities and the person who committed suicide was NOT responsible for the homicides. If there is such a case, I'd like to see a link. Thanks.

JMO
Other cases have nothing to do with this one.

JMO
Piggybacking on what you said, I have never seen this either. One parent committing suicide (IMO due to the ME's findings) but "someone else" coming in and murdering the two kids. That "someone else" being a BF (going by accusations in SM) not even related to the kids. IMO

JMO
We do not know if she committed suicide, per Sheriff.

FWIW. This doesn't prove or disprove anything. It's just one article/study on "suicide staging," which seems to be increasing. The authors of the study attribute that to CSI-type shows and movies teaching people how forensics work and that hiding murder is harder than ever. The authors also call for medical examiners to be well aware of the trend. Statistics below from (2014) Getting Away With Murder: An Examination of Detected Homicides Staged as Suicides:
  • 93% of suicide stagers are men
  • 50% of staged suicides involve intimate relationships
  • 75% have no suicide notes
  • 68% involve rearrangement of body
  • 44% of the staged suicides studied were called homicides by medical examiner
  • weapons were almost always rearranged to simulate suicide
  • at least 50% of stagers "discover" their victim
  • in US the majority of staged suicides are gun-related
SAGE Journals: Your gateway to world-class journal research

Thanks for this. What I get out of all that is that:

- Although on the increase, murders staged to look like suicides are still extremely rare when compared to the actual number of suicides per capita which are also increasing themselves

- That the statistics are a big zero for events where kids were murdered, then a suicide of a parent staged to make it seem as if that parent murdered their kids then suicided

- That statistics are still zero where a parent who found their kids murdered, then committed suicide themselves

- That, after the investigations into who killed the girls is completed, that the statistics will still read zero for all of the above.

What I have got from sheriff's statement - NOT the initial statements being bantied about on the site because we all know that initial reports are always inaccurate as the rush to get breaking news out happens is that:

- "It's not that I doubt the ME's findings, but I've still got two murders to investigate" the sheriff has no issue with the ME finding of 2 X murder / 1 X suicide because that is what evidence at the scene also showed, but
- who actually murdered the girls still needs to be determined and ergo the investigation continues

IMO, that above bolded statement by the sheriff, made after he had actually been in the scene, also explains why it went from "3 dead from gunshots (before he went into the scene)" to "Murder/suicide" (after he went into the scene) … because something actually IN the scene leads to a conclusion of suicide for the mother.

Take this:
Police enter scene of triple shooting. Evidence in the scene leads police and ME to conclusion of double-murder/suicide. Father has killed two children then committed suicide, but will investigate further to make sure it was Father who killed the 2 kids. Father has a demonstrated history of relationship problems and failed relationships - has fathered 3 children with different partners. Has at least two divorces, but is no longer with the parent of the youngest child either. Father is now in what is, at least, their 4th relationship. Father has previously been charged with - and convicted - of domestic violence against one of those partners. Father is suspected to have killed 2 daughters, then committed suicide themself.

Change father to mother and we have Nichol.

In any other case, the above facts would be used to back-up why dad is guilty. Yet, in this case those who point out these things/facts about a Mom are accused of unnecessarily spinning her relationships' history - which apparently should be ignored as a red flag, of bringing up a conviction for DV of an apparent individual who isn't capable of anything like this and therefore should also be ignored as a red flag etc etc and those whom seem to read all articles with the statement above, in blue font, directly from the sheriff's mouth with it struck out. That's a critical statement from actual LE made after he had been in the scene - being ignored. None of this would be ignored were the suspected killer of their children a man.

I'm a girl in the army and all for equal rights. IMO, Nichol gets to "own" her facts here. Too bad she killed the kids too.

Last edited:

- Although on the increase, murders staged to look like suicides are still extremely rare when compared to the actual number of suicides

- That the statistics are a big zero for events where kids were murdered, then a suicide of a parent staged to make it seem as if that parent murdered their kids then suicided

- That statistics are still zero where a parent who found their kids murdered, then committed suicide themselves

- That, after the investigations into who killed the girls is completed, that the statistics will still read zero for all of the above.

What I have got from sheriff's statement - NOT the initial statements being bantied about on the site because we all know that initial reports are always inaccurate as the rush to get breaking news out happens is that:

- "It's not that I doubt the ME's findings, but I've still got two murders to investigate" the sheriff has no issue with the ME finding of 2 X murder / 1 X suicide because that is what evidence at the scene also showed, but
- who actually murdered the girls still needs to be determined and ergo the investigation continues

IMO, that above bolded statement by the sheriff, made after he had actually been in the scene, also explains why it went from "3 dead from gunshots (before he went into the scene)" to "Murder/suicide" (after he went into the scene) … because something actually IN the scene leads to a conclusion of suicide for the mother.

Take this:
Police enter scene of double-murder/suicide. Father has killed two children then committed suicide. Father has a demonstrated history of relationship problems and failed relationships - has fathered 3 children with different partners. Has at least two divorces, but is no longer with the parent of the youngest child either. Father is now in what is, at least, their 4th relationship. Father has previously been charged with - and convicted - of domestic violence against one of those partners. Father is suspected to have killed 2 daughters, then committed suicide himself.

In any other case, the above facts would be used to back-up why dad is guilty. Yet, in this case those who point out these things/facts about a Mom are accused of unnecessarily spinning her relationships' history - which apparently should be ignored as a red flag, of bringing up a conviction for DV of an apparent individual who isn't capable of anything like this and therefore should also be ignored as a red flag etc etc and those whom seem to read all articles with the statement above, in blue font, directly from the sheriff's mouth with it struck out. That's a critical statement from actual LE made after he had been in the scene - being ignored. None of this would be ignored were the suspected killer of their children a man.

I'm a girl in the army and all for equal rights. IMO, Nichol gets to "own" her facts here. Too bad she killed the kids too.
Well said Vern!

- Although on the increase, murders staged to look like suicides are still extremely rare when compared to the actual number of suicides

Take this:
Police enter scene of triple shooting. Evidence in the scene leads police and ME to conclusion of double-murder/suicide. Father has killed two children then committed suicide, but will investigate further to make sure it was Father who killed the 2 kids. Father has a demonstrated history of relationship problems and failed relationships - has fathered 3 children with different partners. Has at least two divorces, but is no longer with the parent of the youngest child either. Father is now in what is, at least, their 4th relationship. Father has previously been charged with - and convicted - of domestic violence against one of those partners. Father is suspected to have killed 2 daughters, then committed suicide themself.

Post of the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members