TX - Nichol Olsen, 37, & 2 daughters, found shot dead inside mansion, Bexar County, 10 Jan 2019 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone explain the difference between the FBI and the Texas Rangers in the context of why the FBI would be called in and not the Texas Rangers? For example, do the FBI have more resources for accessing electronic records compared to the Texas Rangers. I assume the Texas Rangers only cover certain crimes, such as those in Texas whereas the FBI investigate crimes across state lines, would this be a reason to call on the FBI.

The reason I am asking is from what I have heard the Texas Rangers are excellent so why is the FBI involved and not them, understanding this might indicate what the FBI are looking at / for.

Can anyone explain the difference between the FBI and the Texas Rangers in the context of why the FBI would be called in and not the Texas Rangers? For example, do the FBI have more resources for accessing electronic records compared to the Texas Rangers. I assume the Texas Rangers only cover certain crimes, such as those in Texas whereas the FBI investigate crimes across state lines, would this be a reason to call on the FBI.

The reason I am asking is from what I have heard the Texas Rangers are excellent so why is the FBI involved and not them, understanding this might indicate what the FBI are looking at / for.
My guess is that there 'reach' and abilities far exceed anyone else's. I have heard of evidence being sent to Quantico, VA for evaluation.

Link please.

A link for what, exactly?

Here’s a link with quotes from his attorney, Mark Stevens.

Attorney defends owner of Boerne-area home where bodies were found | KTSA

Here’s a link to his attorney’s website which lists out just a few of his many accomplishments. He’s very highly regarded in San Antonio.

Mark Stevens San Antonio Criminal Defense Lawyer | Criminal Defense Attorney

CW would be a fool NOT to hire the best of the best for this situation. If he truly had nothing to do with their deaths, I feel bad for him. There are a significant number of people who will never believe he had nothing to do with it. That’s a heavy burden for a young man.

Or, they would be needed if the sheriff's public comments had lead to threats against CW and his public evisceration, possibly inadvertently, by the sheriff. If the two girls were murdered by Nichol prior to her suicide, a huge swath of populace now isn't going to believe that and will yell, "rich guy, it's a cover-up" … and vice-versa.

The sheriff should have learned there's a reason why "no comment" regarding an ongoing investigation is ALWAYS the best response, despite what the public may want him to divulge, when an investigation is … well … ongoing.

Good call on calling in the FBI because if he didn't, either way it is found this happened wouldn't be believed by a great many on either side.
At the risk of sounding rude, I do not think that threats against CW would be cause to bring in the FBI. They come in when cases cross state lines, or when LE is in over their heads. In this case, IMHO, it sounds like the forensic evidence is not so easy to surmise M/S. Just my thought.

Here is the newspaper account of the county the Wheeler family is from

Here is another article about CW himself and his business from 2014:
Charlie Wheeler – Rodeo, Ranching and OTG Services – Oil & Gas Business Magazine, Industry News, Radio Show, Podcast & Tech

The Wheeler family name is synonymous with ranching, rodeos and the oil and gas industry. They have been a leading South Texas family for generations. Charlie Wheeler, owner of OTG Services, has stepped outside the shadows of his family and made a name for himself all on his own.

At the age of 18, while most of us were packing for our college adventures or figuring out what summer jobs we were going to apply for to occupy our time, Wheeler was taking his future head-on. He moved into the rodeo circuit, where he competed in team roping. Three years and thousands of miles later, he found himself back in Tilden helping his dad, Forrest, on the family ranch (one of Wheeler’s favorite places). With a prominent ranch that has hunting trips and oil leases (BHP and Comstock lease some of their land), the family business kept him looking ahead to his future.

Several months of working the ranch helped Wheeler realize the time had come for him to start his own business. He began a gate guard company called On the Go (OTG) that served the Eagle Ford Shale area. After three successful and prosperous years, at age 24, he sold OTG, but was able to retain his name in the sale.

Not one to stay stagnant for too long, he met Rob Rogers in 2012 and decided to start OTG Services, the one-stop oilfield shop. He started the company with his own savings and loans he was able to obtain through the bank, with the goal of building a company that would help him make his mark on the world. OTG Services has three locations: Fort Stockton, Shreveport and Tilden, which boast a combined 140 employees.

Obtaining more than 30 MSAs at less than 18 months old is a huge accomplishment for OTG Services. To boot, their daily sales have gone from $8,000 to $130,000 in this short time. But Wheeler has his sights set even higher. He makes it very clear that “it’s a matter of not looking back and moving forward.”

As for the future of this rapidly growing company, by the end of 2014, he wants daily sales over $200,000 and a combined 200 employees. He shows no signs of slowing down, and he has big plans for OTG Services.

Wheeler is truly one of the most humble people I have met. “My dad always taught me to do the right thing,” he says of his dad, Forrest. His family gave him a great foundation and savvy business sense to prosper and grow in the industry. With his leadership and direction, OTG Services will be around for generations to come and, according to Wheeler, will “keep moving forward.”

All the more reason for the FBI to get involved! Did we get some information that there was a problem getting phone records (ie there is some kind of delay, whether due to CW’s attorney, a lack of PC, etc)? Or are ppl just becoming impatient? This is what I get for not checking WS for an afternoon.

In one of the links posted yesterday, the sheriff mentioned he was still waiting on cell phone info. I don't have the link handy so it is JMO.

At the risk of sounding rude, I do not think that threats against CW would be cause to bring in the FBI. They come in when cases cross state lines, or when LE is in over their heads. In this case, IMHO, it sounds like the forensic evidence is not so easy to surmise M/S. Just my thought.

Or, because of the sheriff's flapping lips, there are now threats being issued (publicly too) because the sheriff's own words show just how much he's bungled this one because he is apparently incapable of saying, "no comment" (and so risks getting sued by a family with the funds to do so should something happen to CW, and thus the need to call in the big guns to take it over [because FBI will come in at the request of local LE as well]).

The killings could have been due to the BF’s business. His business is Investments. A possible Bankrupt Oil Investment, a possible threat toward the BF that made him leave the house that night.
The FBI would be involved in something like that.
Charles Wheeler - Managing Member for Fcw Investments LLC
yeah but if there was a possible threat that made him leave then he is lying to LE. i can see the angle of some individual or group, more likely group, doing a hit to frame him but they would have had to know that he had unexpectedly left due to a disagreement and also had to have known how to navigate in and out of the community undetected. so when the sheriff talks about someone not on radar he needs to explain how they got into and out of the property undetected. expanding on the possibility it seems to me a possible explanation is someone who lives in the community and knows it like the back of their hand and probably was also familiar with CW's house inside and out and possibly known by the victims. however, this is just my speculation/opinion of things based on some of the sheriffs comments.

In one of the links posted yesterday, the sheriff mentioned he was still waiting on cell phone info. I don't have the link handy so it is JMO.

Got it. Thank you for the clarification. These things take time. Believe it or not, these digital companies don’t have sense of urgency regarding criminal investigations.

The obituary

View Nichol Olsen's Obituary on mySanAntonio.com and share memories

Guess they're not going to spend any of the gofund money on a 2nd autopsy.
Why do you say this? I would think a second autopsy would’ve already been done if they intended to do another one. The sooner, the better, I think, in terms of the integrity of the info gathered. Why would they wait to do a second autopsy? She’s been dead for 14 days already. I would think that’s plenty of time to have a second autopsy done privately if they wanted it done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aqfina2000