Match! TX - Plainview, BlkFem 19-21, UP53955, nude and decapitated on dirt road, Feb'82 - Debra Denise Terrell Mackey

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I’d really like to have an insider’s perspective. How does that work with these organizations? Do they have someone dedicated to checking and keeping up with the databases? Especially in instances like this. It was a huge revelation.

I think it does not hurt to submit a possible match for them to consider. I submitted matches before and always got a thank you and friendly and quick replies from Barbara Rae Venter in person (i feel honored).
While they of course also do everything in their power to check with databases and sites, i do not believe that is the main part of the work. Genetic genealogy is very time consuming. From my understanding, they are happy for good suggestions.

Apparently there are several Jane Does buried in the Plainview cemetery. I spoke with someone there who remembers her but hasn't a clue where she/they is/are buried. He spoke with someone who worked there a while ago who does know about where she/they is/are. So he's going to try and draw me a map. Unfortunately they don't think there is a headstone, so we might not know the exact location.

I asked if he knew if the head and body were still buried together but he wasn't sure. I assume they must be since they didn't know at the exhumation the remains didn't belong to the same person. Essentially, there are most likely two people in that grave. If anyone can verify that it'd be nice. I'd like to visit them!

I will speak more with the cemetery workers when we know more, but has anyone else done this? Tried visiting an unmarked grave?

from newspaper in June 27, 1983:

Beheaded body may have ID PLAINVIEW IAP) - Hale County Sheriff Charles Tuc says an unidentified woman Henry Lee Lucas is accused of raping and beheading may be an Abilene woman who disappeared in October 1981. Lucas, a former mental patient, was indicted last week in the death of the woman, whose headless body was found east of Plainview in February 1982. A head was found two weeks later in the desert near Scottsdale, Ariz. Lucas was charged in the murder after drawing a picture of the woman which resembled one sketched by pathologists using the skull as a guide. The 46-year-old former mental patient told police he picked up the woman near Abilene in December 1981, raped her, cut off her head, raped her again and disposed of the body.

Tue said he has asked Abilene police to send him dental records of a woman identified by police as Elizabeth Bishap, a former auto repair shop worker and part-time topless dancer. Officers said Miss Bishop was last seen Oct. 4, 1981, when she and some friends went to a topless bar where she occasionally worked. She did not leave with her friends and they never saw her again, police said. Lucas is being held under $! million bond in Montague County, where he is charged with murder in the dealh of 80- year-old Kate Rich of Ringgold, who had been missing since September 1982.

Lubbock Evening Journal from Lubbock, Texas on June 27, 1983 · Page 41
RBBM. Reading back through these cases I noticed this. If PJD was found in February 1982 and the skull in Arizon found two weeks later, is it possible the skulls are one and the same? The unrelated skull is said to have been found in October of 1982, 8 months after PJD was discovered. o_O

RBBM. Reading back through these cases I noticed this. If PJD was found in February 1982 and the skull in Arizon found two weeks later, is it possible the skulls are one and the same? The unrelated skull is said to have been found in October of 1982, 8 months after PJD was discovered. o_O
I figured it out. A jawbone was found in February and matched the skull found in October. I really think the records (NamUs) should reflect the earlier date. Right? I’ll post this on the appropriate thread, I wanted to clarify any confusion here.

7 Nov 1982, Page 16 - Arizona Daily Star at Newspapers.com

0AFD0AE0-D667-4FF6-B4FF-9396AD7C5788.jpeg

Well, I finally found their grave today (Everyone in the cemetery office got Covid shortly after I contacted them first). They have no headstone but I plan to put some sort of marker there. At least some flowers. If anyone would like to visit them let me know, I’ll send copies of the maps I received.

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Evidently (contrary to what the groundskeeper told me) it was not okay for me to leave flowers at their grave. Everything from that area of the cemetery that was not affixed to a gravestone was thrown in the dumpster. So, someone visiting would not be able to easily find these girls.

That matters not. I want their names returned to them both.

Evidently (contrary to what the groundskeeper told me) it was not okay for me to leave flowers at their grave. Everything from that area of the cemetery that was not affixed to a gravestone was thrown in the dumpster. So, someone visiting would not be able to easily find these girls.

That matters not. I want their names returned to them both.
That was so nice of you to visit them and put the flowers on the grave.
A wonderful thing to do!! I agree the most important thing is to find their
identity. Hopefully soon!

New article, she is still unidentified

PLAINVIEW, Texas — Wednesday marks 40 years since the headless body of a young woman was found northeast of Plainview. Despite numerous attempts by law enforcement over the years, the woman remains unidentified.

The woman, who authorities said had been decapitated, was found on a dirt road on February 16, 1982. According to an article from The Associated Press at the time, the young woman’s hands were tied behind her back and her body was badly decomposed. <modsnip: 10% copyright rule>

Headless ‘Jane Doe’ found in Plainview still unidentified after 40 years | KLBK | KAMC | EverythingLubbock.com

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve not submitted either. But Plainview Jane Doe has definitely been determined to be black. She was initially thought to be white, but later that was found to be a mistake. This happened only recently actually.

You’ll have to go back and read through the thread. Otherwise, you won’t find it many places. I can’t understand why DDP hasn’t updated their link.

TX - TX - Plainview, Fem, 19-21, nude and decapitated on a dirt road, Feb'82
I was checking back for updates on matches I’ve submitted and evidently I submitted Debra back in January of 2020! :O I forgot about it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ty1220
Back